AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-06, 01:31   Link #221
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Bingo.
Actually, every girl has their own awesome moment when they join National Tournament, but the Student Congress President (sorry, still can't remember her name ) is the most badass.
That sounds great! I like my women a little more grown up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I feel myself is being unfaithful when watching this show. I want to hug everyone :3.
I know what you mean, Saki seems to be competing directly with K-ON! for most moetastic title of this season. I'm convinced someone from either of these two shows will win the Saimoe this year.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 01:50   Link #222
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Most likely K-On will be winning because it is kyoani and kicks out most of Saki.

Then in the Finals, the K-On will get hate voted out and someone else who was almost winning last year will win.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 01:58   Link #223
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

From the ED it seems
Spoiler for I think:
Old 2009-04-06, 02:16   Link #224
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
From the ED it seems
Spoiler for I think:
God bless our first and main yuri couple.

Yuuki is much more adorable than I thought. [fanboy]Maybe because of Rie [/fanboy]
Here hoping to see a great subbing group will take this show.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:46   Link #225
Used Can

I'm all in for an overt lesbian relationship, rather than just subtle messages.

Anyway, this anime looks fun. I'm still a bit lost on Mahjong, but I can always read about how it works. I guess I'll like this anime better if I do so.

I'll be looking forward for the next episodes.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:10   Link #226
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepearl View Post
Am I the only one slightly disturbed that they don't play with the rule of furiten?

It seemed implied that President thought Saki could've won more points if she passed up a regular 5 Pin in favor of a red dora 5 pin....the rule of furiten prevents players from choosing who they can declare "ron" against--once you pass, you forfeit the right to win unless you get a tsumo, where you draw the tile yourself.

I thought the first episode was okay...definitely a fanservicey show. Those looking for more pure mahjong should watch Akagi instead.
I think they do play with furiten, just not "temporary furiten". So, if Saki had discarded a 5 circles before she wouldn't be able to draw either tile.

OR, it's possible that after Yuuki discarded her 5, that there was an entire go around before Nodoka discarded her red 5 which would clear the temporary furiten that wasn't shown in the anime.
Frankly they didn't make it clear.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 03:39   Link #227
bayoab

One odd change Gonzo made from the manga, they changed the reason that she plays +/-0.

In the manga she says memorized how to not win because her parents would get angry and how to not lose so that her New Years gift didn't get taken.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 03:43   Link #228
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
One odd change Gonzo made from the manga, they changed the reason that she plays +/-0.

In the manga she says memorized how to not win because her parents would get angry and how to not lose so that her New Years gift didn't get taken.
Yeah, there were a couple of smallish subtle changes. Like for example in the manga they call Hisa the mahjong club "captain" or "buchou" at different times, but in the anime they call her "buchou" exclusively.

They cut a lot of the extra commentary on the hands as well from the "pres", probably for time, but it would have helped explain things a tad better, perhaps.

They obviously desperately wanted to reach the rin-shan tsumo at the end of chapter two for the finale of the episode, so I think they rushed things a tad.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 07:34   Link #229
Snooker
Call me neet.

It s better than I expected and I like the music that they inserted too. ''Plus minus zero is destiny'', wahahaha.
Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 08:22   Link #230
Blaat

I like sports anime, I like anime with competitions but does the cast really have to be loli's, and one with an oversized breast?

I really want to understand mahjong though but the amount of information (and some of the terms) you receive is just overwhelming.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 08:32   Link #231
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I like sports anime, I like anime with competitions but does the cast really have to be loli's, and one with an oversized breast?
Yes, it does.
Old 2009-04-06, 09:30   Link #232
Snooker
Call me neet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post

I really want to understand mahjong though but the amount of information (and some of the terms) you receive is just overwhelming.
''Bamboo Blade'' has characters like this.Why has no one complained?
Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 09:35   Link #233
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
That sounds great! I like my women a little more grown up.

I know what you mean, Saki seems to be competing directly with K-ON! for most moetastic title of this season. I'm convinced someone from either of these two shows will win the Saimoe this year.
Quote:
neither of them will win.

the winner is gonna be
Spoiler for :

dont delude yourself :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 10:42   Link #234
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I think they do play with furiten, just not "temporary furiten". So, if Saki had discarded a 5 circles before she wouldn't be able to draw either tile.

OR, it's possible that after Yuuki discarded her 5, that there was an entire go around before Nodoka discarded her red 5 which would clear the temporary furiten that wasn't shown in the anime.
Frankly they didn't make it clear.
Yeah, it was very ambiguous. The anime made it seem like she passed two consecutive 5 Pins in a row and made it look like Saki could've won off of the red 5 Pin after passing on a standard 5 Pin.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 11:31   Link #235
4Tran

The first episode of Saki seems to be quite promising. The characters are a bit of a standard set, but we'll see what the show decides to do with them. Hopefully, it'll explore some more interesting territory in later episodes, but it's been decent so far. On top of that, I like the extra emphasis placed on the oh-so-dramatic playing and so forth. Having never played Japanese mahjonng before, I find the scoring systems and the dialogue around them to be a bit bewildering, but that should lessen a bit further into the series. So far this is the most solid anime for me in this new season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
I think it'll be like Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou where 99% of viewers will have nary an idea of how the actual game is played, even after watching the final episode. And that is not important to enjoy the show because you can get a feel for the gameplay without it, though I can appreciate you guys debating this in a public forum so us Mahjongg virgins can have some understanding of the gameplay.
This is probably going to be a bit more like Hikaru no Go than Shion no Ou. Mahjongg is similar to go in that the basics of the game are fairly easy to grasp, and it's very visual, so it shouldn't be too hard for even non-players to figure out intuitively. The higher levels of strategy and scoring are going to be a lot more opaque of course, but that would probably be true of most players as well. About the only thing that's unfortunate is that Riichi mahjongg has extremely complex scoring rules, and that this anime seems to be all about those very rules.

It's still better than Shion no Ou though, because I can't see how anyone could grasp more than the merest basics of shougi after watching that show. It'd be especially bad for the people who aren't versed in kanji because all the pieces look fairly similar to one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiFr0st View Post
Haha, that running scene in the rain was such a ripoff from Hikaru no Go when Akira started chasing after Hikaru.
This is a bit of a standard trope when it comes to sports anime. The champion will go out of her way to make sure that her fated rival will show up to put up a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Saki is quite good . My only problem with it is i read quite a lots of Saki manga and knows how everything (or most things) gonna play out. Will still following this anime of course =]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
um excuse me but to any one her who can read raw manga scans and well above volume 3 um can you give me some spoilers pls?
As per usual, this is the anime thread, so there shouldn't be any spoilers from the manga at all. If you want to discuss things like how the anime portrayed a scene differently from the manga, that's all right, but it's quite different from dropping "hints" as to what will happen. Many anime-only viewers aren't interested in such hints, so they don't belong here.

I've moved those posts to the Saki manga thread, so please take any such discussion there.
Old 2009-04-06, 11:48   Link #236
gundam rider

never read the manga or anything related before.....super mahjong with the likes of Hikaru No Go?.....,

errrr....mmm.....well, the 1st ep uhhh, to me, looks like a cross between a typical Harem & a Yuri genre.....ummm...whatever......

uhhh.....Gonzo-brand pantsu......whut?......duuhh.....
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 11:51   Link #237
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
neither of them will win.

the winner is gonna be
Spoiler for :

dont delude yourself :P
Bah, all the Saki girls are exports of the Strike Witches anyway. (Or should that be the other way round?)
Saki -> Yoshika
Student Congress President -> Minna
Nodoka -> (Lynette+Sanya)/2
Yuuki -> Francesca
Mako -> Eila in meganekko cosplay
Old 2009-04-06, 12:50   Link #238
einhorn303

That seems rather unlikely, since the Saki comic and Strike Witches OVA both came out in 2006. Not sure about the exact dates, but I believe Saki came out first. And the actual character personalities and final designs of the SW characters weren't finalized until the TV anime in 2008.

Also, I think you're quite exaggerating the similarities. They're just common anime tropes (normal girl, hyper loli, quiet girl, etc)

Quote:
Bah, all the Saki girls are exports of the Strike Witches anyway. (Or should that be the other way round?)
Saki -> Yoshika
Student Congress President -> Minna
Nodoka -> (Lynette+Sanya)/2
Yuuki -> Francesca
Mako -> Eila in meganekko cosplay
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 13:35   Link #239
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Just making fun of the Saimoe in general, hope you didn't take me too seriouosly. Any five characters in the running are exports of each other, really. :]
Old 2009-04-06, 13:44   Link #240
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Anyone made any Nodoka avys?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen