AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-09-07, 09:10   Link #301
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
Sorry , i dont understand TLDR meaning

For the record , i'm an indie 2d animator , creating animated short for years now.
If my message was wrong , then maybe my english but basically yeah i agree with the link you posted

Most of the arts created on paper is basically 2d animatable , even Renaissance classic paint but you would not want to see the results ^^
That's why final designs are mostly always simple/clean to make it easier.

After it's not the case of every animators and studios
But most of the time , personnaly styles and unconventionnals brush are used in experimental short or some short cuts , like anime openings .
This is why manga designs usually look better than anime designs.
Old 2012-09-07, 09:17   Link #302
duckroll
綺羅星★!

There's an interesting rumor on 2ch today that someone say Urobuchi credited on a poster for Psycho-Pass, but what's more interesting is that he said the Supervising Director is Katsuyuki Motohiro.

Motohiro is a Japanese TV and film director who works in live action. He works in Robot, a film production company which is also one of the bigger CG production houses in Japan. I think game fans will be familiar with their work on the Onimusha games for example.

Digging up to find if there are connections between Motohiro and the other staff linked to Psycho-Pass so far led me to Shiotani's Google+ profile. He indeed had Motohiro in his small circle of connections, along with Urobuchi. Oh, and Shiotani is also following Motohiro on Twitter. The plot thickens...
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:40   Link #303
Nayim

Quote:
Sorry , i dont understand TLDR meaning
TLDR = Too long, didn't read.
Old 2012-09-07, 09:44   Link #304
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Hahah , thanks ^^
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:15   Link #305
blue_sora

So they are going to release bits of information every Thursday? Such a cruel advertisement, as expected of Gen

Psycho-Pass sounds like going to be a long-winded dialogue about criminals just like in Fate/Zero about the three kings. Even if it's 1-cour I trust it can still end well with Gen in charge, Madoka really wrapped nicely even if it's only 12 episodes.

Oh well, it's time to finish Requiem of the Phantom before this aired.
blue_sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 16:15   Link #306
duckroll
綺羅星★!

The composer for Psycho-Pass is Yugo Kanno. He recorded live music for it back in August. He has also worked with Production IG before on Library Wars (both the TV series and the recent movie), and he has also collaborated with Katsuyuki Motohiro several times before on his live action works.

http://masachan4994.blog116.fc2.com/...ntry-1763.html
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/yugo.kanno
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 17:16   Link #307
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sora View Post
Oh well, it's time to finish Requiem of the Phantom before this aired.
Take your time watching it, the longer the better. *sadistic smile*
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The composer for Psycho-Pass is Yugo Kanno. He recorded live music for it back in August. He has also worked with Production IG before on Library Wars (both the TV series and the recent movie), and he has also collaborated with Katsuyuki Motohiro several times before on his live action works.

http://masachan4994.blog116.fc2.com/...ntry-1763.html
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/yugo.kanno
Oh, never watched Library wars so I don't really know, but he's apparently the same guy that was in charge of Birdy's. Sounds ok for me.
Old 2012-09-07, 18:37   Link #308
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I think the 3 magazine scans so far show totally different levels of quality though. The PASH one with the 4 characters just standing there is the worst one because there's no proper expression at all, and zero attempt at layout. The one Michinori Chiba drew for Newtype on the other hand, has really good layout, nice lighting, and very unique character expressions and good artwork. The remaining one from Animedia (I think) is definitely leaning on "generic", where it looks like any other anime of the sort, but the art quality seems decent.

I'm hoping that the Newtype scan is more representative of the anime's actual visual look, but I guess we'll have to wait until they show us a real PV to find out...
That about sums it up. If the show is designed similar to Chiba' style then it should still look very stylish even if it doesn't match up the original concepts. The PASH one looks horrible.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 06:31   Link #309
Horse

Quote:
So you expected 2d animation with exactly that style ?

There is a reason why they choose the so called "animu design" , after all it's a tv series , not a short 5 mn experimental stuff.
Oh, puh-lease - don't go all animation guru on us. I think me and Katapan made our points pretty clear in our posts. If you're going to have generic animu designs, simply don't bother with a stylish original character designer. Simple as that.

We also said we were still waiting for the actual animu sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sora View Post
Psycho-Pass sounds like going to be a long-winded dialogue about criminals just like in Fate/Zero about the three kings.
Oh no. Nonononono. Do not want.

Last edited by Horse; 2012-09-08 at 06:42.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 07:01   Link #310
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

im still hoping that this will be a all 3D/CGI anime

ye i can see how bad looking those character designs are on the magazine scans, i mean magazine promotional arts of anime are usually very awesome
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 08:07   Link #311
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

While the designs did generify Amano's original one, we can't judge too much yet since we haven't seen the characters in motion.
Old 2012-09-08, 08:51   Link #312
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0x View Post
im still hoping that this will be a all 3D/CGI anime
please don't...it might end up like Kingdom or even worse

mixing it up or pure 2D Animation would be great
Old 2012-09-08, 09:40   Link #313
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Do people seriously think the designs in the magazines are bad O.o ?

I understand the promo art is very cool, but if you're disappointed about that difference well... This is only like the 100000th time we seen that happen.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 10:07   Link #314
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Character designs from the magazine does live me cold but seeing them in animated form might change my mind. Though Amano's design herself is generic on its own.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 13:17   Link #315
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
If you're going to have generic animu designs, simply don't bother with a stylish original character designer.
See your point, but why not? It's not like Amano's fee's are that expensive ... and just look back in time, see how Redjuice's original design for GC are more stylish than how it looked like in the anime ... but wait ... the result was still above everything else airing that season.
Same goes here and I think that's what reckoner wanted to say, those designs are good, the original quality might have been lost in transition but that doesn't make the final product a failure (and if they were to ask someone else, I don't think it's sure we would get something like this). You should start complaining about that only when it ends up being a total crap.
Old 2012-09-08, 13:35   Link #316
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
It's not like Amano's fee's are that expensive ...
Whoa there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
and just look back in time, see how Redjuice's original design for GC are more stylish than how it looked like in the anime ... but wait ... the result was still above everything else airing that season.
I thought the original designs were nicely adapted in GC's case (at least for the girls from what I'm looking over now) but regardless of my opinion on those designs and on bolded part - it has absolutely nothing to do with Psycho-ass.

Last edited by Horse; 2012-09-08 at 13:59. Reason: edited for no bashing etc
Old 2012-09-08, 13:38   Link #317
blue_sora

Quote:
Oh no. Nonononono. Do not want.
Well I doubt there will be really an entire episode of their sitting down and talking about criminals when Psycho-Pass might only have 11 episodes, but it will be talked about in the anime by the characters, like in Madoka. Gen after all likes to explore his themes thoroughly in his writings.
blue_sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 14:14   Link #318
firetiger027

I think the character designs look fine so far. I like it when special character designers are used even though obviously the final anime design is watered down I feel like the artist's work still shows through, it's also nice to see the original artwork they come up with for those characters.
firetiger027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 14:37   Link #319
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
If you're going to have generic animu designs, simply don't bother with a stylish original character designer. Simple as that.
To be fair though, original character designers are hired simply to create the visual concept of the characters--their clothing/fashion, hairstyle, face, sometimes expressions concepts, et cetera--so that these characters will appeal to the eyes of the viewer. Not their expressive artstyle or colouring technique. (Though I'll agree that they ARE using the pretty concept arts from the designers to lure interests from us )

Complaining for the production not to hire a designer that can create stylish characters' concept is... Uh, kinda missing the whole point, to be honest.

On the other hand, complaining that they should try to hire a better anime-form-designer (uh, the one that translate the original character design concepts into their anime style form!) is valid~

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 14:57   Link #320
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Complaining for the production not to hire a designer that can create stylish characters' concept is... Uh, kinda missing the whole point, to be honest.

On the other hand, complaining that they should try to hire a better anime-form-designer (uh, the one that translate the original character design concepts into their anime style form!) is valid~
What the... How is that any different from the quote (full thing, not just the bolded part).

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller