AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-07, 21:50   Link #241
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Actually I do agree with you on there being two season for Darker than Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Spoiler for rant:
Clamp was an arbitrary example in conjunction with there being 2 seasons. Nothing to do with Code Geass or Darker than Black for that matter. But I do have to disagree with you on Code Geass not being stamped by Clamp. Just for starters the character design of Leouch and Suzaku has clamp written on it . Elongated bodies i.e. like stick figures / proportions are wrong. The same art style was used in XXXHOLiC chracters

After reading the Rant , Clamp Fanboy got scared ): ^__^
Old 2007-04-07, 22:11   Link #242
DangerMouse

Also, if they are doing most of the show in 2-parters, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's either 24 or 26, a nice round figure. It also feels like a 24-26 episode series judging from the premise of the show.

Juu Oh Sei and The Skullman also seem to be odd-shows-out when it comes to Bones' catalog. They have mostly been 24/26 or their recent longer series.

It also seems to be a big project for the studio, so I don't think it's going to be short.
Old 2007-04-07, 22:14   Link #243
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

ScreenCaps and Summary of Episode 1 here
Old 2007-04-07, 22:27   Link #244
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
But I do have to disagree with you on Code Geass not being stamped by Clamp. Just for starters the character design of Leouch and Suzaku has clamp written on it . Elongated bodies i.e. like stick figures / proportions are wrong. The same art style was used in XXXHOLiC chracters
I don't want to get involved in this but I read it as the point she was trying to make was the one thing you mention, the original (non-animation, but the ones adapted for animation by someone else) character designs, is actually the ONLY thing clamp has their fingers on in the Code Geass project. Hence they probably have little influence over the actual production anymore since they have no involvement in the story construction or animation production/directorial work unlike in the other shows actually based on their personal properties. ^^;

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-07 at 22:46.
Old 2007-04-07, 22:45   Link #245
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
ScreenCaps and Summary of Episode 1 here
Nice long write up, thanks I'm looking forwards to the subs so I can fully take it in.
Old 2007-04-08, 00:05   Link #246
Destinyblade

I wonder why Animesuki on Darker Than BLACK's torrent page has it as a 13-episode series. As far as I know, there isn't even a confirmation of how many episodes this show has.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this. Episode 1 looked interesting, so I'll be watching more episodes to see how this turns out at the start.
Old 2007-04-08, 00:23   Link #247
wao
OK.

Scans, dudes. A bit late. Nicked off 2ch.

Spoiler for Saving space - and a bit spoilery:

As you can see they even include info of upcoming characters Bond girls Hei girls for upcoming episodes, and other... info and Stuff.

A translation is forthcoming, so hold on.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:02   Link #248
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Wow really nice pics Wao -saves them- : D
Old 2007-04-08, 01:36   Link #249
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
I wonder why Animesuki on Darker Than BLACK's torrent page has it as a 13-episode series. As far as I know, there isn't even a confirmation of how many episodes this show has.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this. Episode 1 looked interesting, so I'll be watching more episodes to see how this turns out at the start.
Currently I'm not sure if there has been official word on length, so I think Animesuki's count is unreliable, whoever last updated the Wiki has it listed as 26 but anyone can update a Wiki so that's also unreliable.

Just going by my subjective feel I think the large amount of work (look at the rather large cast of characters in the upper non-guest characters b&w sketch character cast photo in wao's recent mag spreads, obviously they won't all get a lot of attention but there are about 14 reoccurring characters) and the pacing as well as the director's intention for the majority of the show to be told in 2-parters my subjective mind is expecting 24 or 26 episodes, anything shorter would be short changing this show's potential I think. While there are exceptions to the way 13-ep series are told, to me the first episode and it's rather non-confined world-view feels like that of a longer show that can take it's time and really build something nice. But I guess we'll see, episode 2 will also help develop a larger feel for the show.

Personally I definitely feel this show is a big enough set piece and large enough cast of interesting characters who need screen time to go 26 so I hope it does.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-08 at 01:50.
Old 2007-04-08, 02:06   Link #250
wao
OK.

And the pace doesn't seem to be set up for anything to be finished in 13 episodes. It's a bi-episodic structure - you'd only be able to tell 6 stories in 13 episodes and leave what, one episode for a "finale" of sorts. But given 26 eps you can make 75% of it bi-episodic or so and then leave a few to deal with the "main" story - Hei's backstory, Amber, the riddle of the Gate and Contractors and how it all unravels.

Coincidentially though, the height comparison chart of the main characters from one of those scans seems to show a lot of people but actually we've seen pretty much all of them in ep 1. Most of them are Misaki and her coworkers. The old guy next to Misuzu and the african looking dude appeared as well (ooh, so he's a recurring character? Interesting).

The only one I haven't seen is that bizarre hag sort of person in the corner...
Old 2007-04-08, 03:35   Link #251
solomon

hmmmmmmmm

as someone said Hei-tastic. I bet he'll be the main anchor in the show, what with his two faced bumbling kind high school student secretly a cold blooded satsujin-kikai agent the next. (should definetly help him in the fan polls, although i think Lelouch will still reign as king for a while) That could possibly be overraught and horribly melodramatic but was tolerable in the opener.Mao's voice rocks, and i don't know why but Yin's kinda cute for being a Rei clone.
To early to give any real substantial opinon, but time allowing i'll go with it, if only to see the cool animation and how the hell Okamura will tie in that C.C. lookalike into the show's vibe (she seems rather obtuse with the design there)

Boy animage's and NT's commisions always seemed much cooler then animedias

Last edited by solomon; 2007-04-08 at 03:46.
Old 2007-04-08, 06:20   Link #252
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
And the pace doesn't seem to be set up for anything to be finished in 13 episodes. It's a bi-episodic structure - you'd only be able to tell 6 stories in 13 episodes and leave what, one episode for a "finale" of sorts. But given 26 eps you can make 75% of it bi-episodic or so and then leave a few to deal with the "main" story - Hei's backstory, Amber, the riddle of the Gate and Contractors and how it all unravels.
Yeah exactly. And obviously this wouldn't be the first time they've used a 26 episode structure like this before. Sounds good to me.
Old 2007-04-08, 10:48   Link #253
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
as someone said Hei-tastic. I bet he'll be the main anchor in the show, what with his two faced bumbling kind high school student secretly a cold blooded satsujin-kikai agent the next. (should definetly help him in the fan polls, although i think Lelouch will still reign as king for a while) That could possibly be overraught and horribly melodramatic but was tolerable in the opener
Cause the high school student image is his cover to get close to his target.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:47   Link #254
wao
OK.

P.S. He's not a high school student, he's an university student (yeah, there's a difference!).

P.P.S. Animedia tends to have the suckiest graphics and writing (I dislike it greatly), but sometimes it has certain juicy/interesting information before the other magazines.

BTW, if you guys thought Jean's lining up of stones was really nothing compared to Louis's painful finger-breaking, then you'll probably LOL at Paul (the black guy)'s "payment":
Spoiler:

LOL.

In other news, ZOMG, I was just translating a part of the Newtype feature which had some comments by Yoko Kanno.

Meh news first - for those of you who love hearing vocals to Yoko Kanno music, she's only going to have two vocal tracks - and isn't intending to have any more because she wanted to express herself more through the instrumentals than the lyrics.

But this made me flip and do a little dance in my head (sloppy translation, but the gist is there):

"Since Cowboy Bebop I had again gone to request a favour from Mai Yamane-san after a long time, and am having her sing the emotions of a man beyond help."

DUDE, it's Mai Yamane. O snap.
Ohhh.

Need to get off high.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:49   Link #255
flou
That's no lady

Mai Yamane is going to sing???!!!!
Old 2007-04-08, 12:16   Link #256
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Mai Yamame isn't my favourite among the singers that collaborate with Yoko Kanno but she sang Don't Bother None from Cowboy Bebop, one of my favourite song.

So far, my favourite vocal that worked with her is
Scott Matthew, his crooning is so damn sexy.
Old 2007-04-08, 12:35   Link #257
nubby

Does anyone know if the OP is done by TM Revolution? It sounds alot like him and I like it. The ending is pretty damn good too.
Old 2007-04-08, 12:53   Link #258
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It's by abingdon boys school.

from wiki:
"abingdon boys school (a.b.s.) is a Japanese rock band fronted by Takanori Nishikawa (T.M.Revolution). Formed in 2005, the band was named after Abingdon School, the all-male school where English rock band Radiohead (whom a.b.s. are modelled after) was established. Their major label debut single, INNOCENT SORROW (2006), was used as the first opening song of anime series D.Gray-man."
Old 2007-04-08, 12:54   Link #259
poptart
come tess me now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
It's by abingdon boys school.

from wiki:
"abingdon boys school (a.b.s.) is a Japanese rock band fronted by Takanori Nishikawa (T.M.Revolution). Formed in 2005, the band was named after Abingdon School, the all-male school where English rock band Radiohead (whom a.b.s. are modelled after) was established. Their major label debut single, INNOCENT SORROW (2006), was used as the first opening song of anime series D.Gray-man."
its HOWLING by abingdon boys school
Old 2007-04-08, 16:46   Link #260
issei

if only abingdon boys school actually attempted to do something different than the standard j-rock riffs and vocals, then modeling themselves after radiohead would actually mean something!

but, on the positive side, the mai yamane announcement is great news; thanks for the heads-up, wao. she has a certain depth to her voice that i find really refreshing.

Tags
action, supernatural