AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 17:44   Link #101
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Regardless of the storytelling, I keep wondering why Kyoani's char designs keep getting more and more awful. I thought they were stepping in a better direction with Hyouka, and now it's two steps back again. Wow. I don't care how fluid it is if the character designs are so blobby and undetailed in the first place. Aesthetics come first, then fluidity.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 22:58   Link #102
Warm Mist

I haven't read the LNs, but perhaps they fit the tone of the show. Designs should be judged in context, just like a lot of "technical" aspects (even disregarding the not so technical aspect about liking or disliking an artstyle)
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 08:07   Link #103
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
The official site updated today with two more staff comments and a reorganization of the character design page to be more in line with that of Hyouka's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazumi Ikeda, Character Designer/Chief Animation Director
Chuunibyou has arrived!
Seeing is believing, destroying an adolescent moonless dawn, and with troublesome, diverse, active, electronic imagery, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! will begin this fall.
This story will depict the troublesome storms of love occurring around these dastardly youths.
The entire story is chuuni! Chuuni! CHUUNI!
The youths crave the angry storms of love.
Will these boys and girls, who suffer the eternal shame of chuunibyou, reach ecstasy?
This project's designs will be a tenacious banquet that will stimulate your hunger.
Don't miss Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutsuo Shinohara, Art Director
To my knowledge, this is the first time I've written a comment.
I can't speak... nothing's coming to mind...
Perhaps you know about this now. That this world has darkness people go to...the kind that is sealed away....that flickers the moment people arrive there.
What was stored in there, an "ancient dark hidden snake", is still insufficient.
If it's used well, perhaps the next world could be changed...Don't try to come back to life!
A new challenge, a new energy, a transcendent glance. The time of awakening is near...
There's so many things I want you to know.
At the time you see it, I'm sure you'll recognize the godly theme as being in a fugue state.
May God protect you. Don't think, feel.
Also, the scans posted earlier contain some information that is spoilerish. I've translated some of it, but I may take liberties with how I translate to avoid anything that would spoil a non-novel reader while increasing anticipation for the show. It won't be anything major, but I wanted to notify the people reading the thread who can read Japanese and would go "That's not what it said!"

(Translating those comments is straining. It's not my best work, but I think you'll get the gist of it. It's rather nonsensical to me.)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 08:55   Link #104
teja208
Critical fanboy

So basically the entire production staffs are on drugs. Not that I really mind or anything.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 10:33   Link #105
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

They should just saying they make a niche LN/bunko anime, no need to ashamed.

A-1 will laugh at them "dood, we make all kind of anime!"

j/k
Old 2012-07-19, 13:24   Link #106
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
So basically the entire production staffs are on drugs. Not that I really mind or anything.
So Nichijou with an over-arching plot?

j/k

ADD] It's one of the more endearing things about KyoAni though, in that they sometimes defy comprehension with what they do/animate. Like the marble in Kanon.
Old 2012-07-19, 15:12   Link #107
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I do hope they get some imagination madness going on. They could do with another space battle or some other mecha heavy scene thrown into an episode.
Old 2012-07-19, 19:13   Link #108
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Old 2012-07-19, 19:22   Link #109
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
To satisfy curiosity, I posted what the interview mentions earlier:
Quote:
  • There's a lot of original components in this series
  • They're only using the first novel as a base. There's not enough to animate by itself, thus they're adding to the story
  • While the setting is fictional, they did some location scouting somewhere. Maybe the identity will come out soon.
  • There's a surprise planned like Haruhi's shuffling episodes
  • While Yuuta has already been cast, they're still auditioning for the female cast. They wanted new talent in this one.

Old 2012-07-25, 09:58   Link #110
suntaclaus

Old Scan HQ:

Last edited by suntaclaus; 2012-07-25 at 10:48.
suntaclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 06:56   Link #111
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The website updated again with news mentioning that articles will appear in Megami and Nyantype that are released at the end of this month. Additional character lineart of Yuuta and Rikka were posted (click the 02/03 underneath the image on the left). There are new staff comments by Color Designer Akiyo Takeda and Photography Director Rin Yamamoto as well.

Old 2012-07-26, 07:25   Link #112
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Nobody is talking properly anymore...
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 07:56   Link #113
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Nobody is talking properly anymore...
Not at all. The staff is truly embracing the chuunibyou aspect. I'm curious how far along they'll keep this going.

I'm also partially saddened that KyoAni is merely repeating what they did for Comiket 81 (novels and bookmarks) for Comiket 82's Chuunibyou products (novels and bookmarks). The lack of designer eyepatches disappoints me some.

Old 2012-07-26, 08:07   Link #114
rulfo

I seriously can't wait for a teaser/trailer to come out.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 13:37   Link #115
Warm Mist

Someone somewhere mentioned that it is very likely that at the end of the month there will be a CM for this. I don't remember the reasoning or source for this claim (if any).
Old 2012-07-26, 13:54   Link #116
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

there surely will be one at comicket in 2 weeks.
Old 2012-07-26, 14:00   Link #117
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
Someone somewhere mentioned that it is very likely that at the end of the month there will be a CM for this. I don't remember the reasoning or source for this claim (if any).

Good Job!
See everyone moving around in August!
This anime hasn’t been publicly shown yet. Is everyone anxious to see it when it airs this fall?! “Our homepage opened on July 10th. We’ve got various things planned for people to enjoy. One plan is for you all to see Rikka, Yuuta, and everyone else move around in August, so we hope you enjoy that as well!”
(It does not specify that this would be shown on the website, but they plan to show it somewhere)

I doubt that there is any plans to show this at Comiket as KyoAni has only used their booths to sell merchandise in the past. Changing that strategy is unlikely at this point.

Old 2012-07-26, 15:35   Link #118
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
We’ve got various things planned for people to enjoy. One plan is for you all to see Rikka, Yuuta, and everyone else move around in August, so we hope you enjoy that as well!”
I'm feeling major Kadokawa-style marketing vibes.

I hope at least it's witty if they're going to start playing around with things.
Old 2012-07-26, 18:58   Link #119
ElCachicamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Regardless of the storytelling, I keep wondering why Kyoani's char designs keep getting more and more awful. I thought they were stepping in a better direction with Hyouka, and now it's two steps back again. Wow. I don't care how fluid it is if the character designs are so blobby and undetailed in the first place. Aesthetics come first, then fluidity.
Aesthetics are not that important at all because it is ANIMATION not illustration. Some people have their focus in the wrong places. Important things that people should care about are direction(storyboard, editing, framing, layout), Script, Animation (Character acting in this case).

Character acting is important and Kyoani is the only one who's doing it in this industry right now. This kind of stuff begun with K-ON, that show had really good direction and very rich animation, but I understand if people don't see it because is more difficult to impress with low key animation and is way easier when you do flashy action.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 05:14   Link #120
Warm Mist

I agree with your post, but chara designs are still important and especially for a commercial product where the main selling point of a non-established franchise are its designs.

I don't dislike them per se, they seem flexible enough for good animation and I'd even say they're solid, but what I do dislike is that Kyoani always use the same designers to do characters, making their designs extremely inbred.

I'd like a different approach to design, like they did with Nichijou, but probably that would not work with this material. So it's a matter of patience.

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen