AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-10, 13:26   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

[Anime] Umineko - Speculation & Theories (for first time viewers)

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Umineko and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the visual novel and wish to speculate or discuss theories, then please do not post in this thread (use the Spoilers and Expectations thread) and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Unacceptable post topics:
  • Any form of spoiler from Umineko manga.
  • Any form of spoilers from visual novels.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Magazine previews are an exception to the said rule. You are allowed to discuss those. (Properly labeled spoiler tags required).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-06-10 at 15:16.
Old 2009-06-11, 15:45   Link #2
typhonsentra

I speculate... that it'll be a good show! I know I'm going out on a limb with this one.
Old 2009-06-12, 05:23   Link #3
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Indeed. Not really much to say at this point other than I hope they can pace it well in terms of content-to-episode and the inevitable cuts that will have to be made to fit the story into 20 minute chunks. The pacing was about the one area that Higurashi fell flat.
Old 2009-06-14, 03:57   Link #4
mpt37

Wow, an anime that gets a sub-forum even before it airs, has that happened before?

I've yet to watch a horror/mystery anime (started Higurashi but never finished, not sure why) but since it looks like the game's a big hit I'll give it a try. Not to mention Daisuke Ono and Marina Inoue are in it. I can't get enough of Marina Inoue's voice since Skip Beat.
Old 2009-06-14, 06:47   Link #5
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Knowing only the premise of the game, im looking forward to just as much "OMGWFBBQ" mindrape as in Higurashi. Or should I not expect it to be like Higurashi?
Old 2009-06-14, 07:14   Link #6
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
Knowing only the premise of the game, im looking forward to just as much "OMGWFBBQ" mindrape as in Higurashi. Or should I not expect it to be like Higurashi?
As for the mindrape aspect... it's probably worse... (or better if you like being mindraped XD)

Old 2009-06-14, 07:17   Link #7
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
It's different from Higurashi, but I think that the story alone is better. And yeah, it's very thought-provoking.
Old 2009-06-14, 07:22   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It actually starts off more confusing. Once you get the bearings of the plot, THAT'S when it becomes mindrape.
Old 2009-06-14, 07:38   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just re-emphasize, this thread is for first time viewers, which means no game spoilers should ever be posted here. There is a separate thread for those already more familiar with Umineko through the games or other media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
Wow, an anime that gets a sub-forum even before it airs, has that happened before?
Yes it has - with one of the KyoAni titles, but I can't quite remember which one. Probably Clannad.
Old 2009-06-15, 16:59   Link #10
Avisch
Reality Blender

It's finally a sub forum I will actually go to consistently.

Having played the visual novel, I will enjoy looking at this thread to see how people interpret everything.

One crazy B****
Old 2009-06-15, 20:33   Link #11
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
It's going to be fun watching you guys squirm

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-06-16, 11:09   Link #12
maximilianjenus
[E]

It's not like the ones who played the novels know any answers currently anyway :P
Old 2009-06-16, 14:20   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering how many threads there already were for this I makes sense to have moved them all to one central location before the anime hits, just so one wouldn't have to do it later.

From what I understand, this will be even more confusing than Higurashi...but then no one outside the author and maybe a few others has any real idea what the answers even are yet...since the first answer arc game won't be out until August.
Old 2009-06-16, 21:09   Link #14
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
It's not like the ones who played the novels know any answers currently anyway :P
Not everything, but the way Ryukishi made the question arcs, you'll be surprised at how much info that you could consider answers already he put in it.
Old 2009-06-16, 21:15   Link #15
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Not everything, but the way Ryukishi made the question arcs, you'll be surprised at how much info that you could consider answers already he put in it.
Well it's more like some possible answers feel more valid than others, but IMHO none have really been confirmed to be true or false anyway.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:09   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I admit I wasn't impressed by the second episode at all. The over the top voice acting just adds to the misery. However, I'm intrigued how the poem in the Epitaph thread has literally played out: "At the first twilight, you shall lift up as sacrifice the six chosen by the key." And as a result, the apparent curiosity makes me want to find out about whom and how many will come to discover the poem, and how these people will contribute to make each line of that poem a reality. The poem also hints of total reset in one of its four wishes, such as bringing back loved ones. It makes the killing interesting because anyone who has or will experience the loss of a loved ones, can have no remorse in killing. Three people already fall into that category as of episode 2.

In short, my interest in this show will be mostly academic from here on. I'm also a big time Agatha Christie fan, and many of her stories' setting rely on the gathering of close family members who wants a share of inheritance and the subsequent dangerous atmosphere that is created from there on to lead to the inevitable murder and mayhem. So this familiar setting probably will be enough for me to overlook such a poor production value this show will see to tell the story.

P.S. I thought I should post my thoughts here since I've speculated quite a bit after seeing how a portion of the poem literally came true. If things unfold according to the poem from here on, then this thread is the best one to post for a first time viewer like myself who can spare the other anime-only viewers who are blissfully ignorant about the poem in the Epitaph thread.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:13   Link #17
Alaya
Counter Force

For first time viewer, you should go and read TIPS of character in the "Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Tips" thread posted by Klash. I see that Klash already hide future events in spoilers and labeled the anime episode that correspond to certain tips.

I recommend that new viewers go and take look at TIPS for the first twilight.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:28   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually wouldn't advise anyone to read the Tips yet until the end of the first arc, because a bunch of stuff in the thread might actually be spoilers.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:30   Link #19
Alaya
Counter Force

I think it's ok if you read until the first twilight. Just don't read further from that. Klash organizes tips pretty neat so if you should be able to avoid spoilers easily.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:36   Link #20
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

There are anime episode indicators in each TIPS so it's pretty safe to go in there. Those without labels are the spoilers.
Closed Thread