AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-13, 00:47   Link #241
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Oh joy, the video game shop in my place say that it'll take another week for the resupply shipment... =_=

Anyway just checking since I'm completely new to this series, what are the special features of the game ? I only know of the dating sim system that allows to pair not only your OC with a characters, but with party members and each other (FINALLY! You have no idea how long I've always wanted to do that in a JRPG )
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 02:25   Link #242
Shadow5YA

Checked GameStop, Best Buy, and Walmart... none of them have the bundle. If Target doesn't have it, I may have to order it online directly from Nintendo or something... because I'm running out of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Oh joy, the video game shop in my place say that it'll take another week for the resupply shipment... =_=

Anyway just checking since I'm completely new to this series, what are the special features of the game ? I only know of the dating sim system that allows to pair not only your OC with a characters, but with party members and each other (FINALLY! You have no idea how long I've always wanted to do that in a JRPG )
Fire Emblem has all unique characters with their own name and backgrounds. Since there are no generic units, the game (or the series, rather) has a Support system.

Basically what it amounts to is that if two compatible units spend a certain amount of time together (varies depending on the game, in the past it would be spend X number of turns or chapters with both units either dispatched or within 3 units of one another; in this game you gain "support experience" just by damaging enemies with two units next to each other), in this during the story missions, they will form a Support bond, which usually has three to four levels (rank C, B, A, and S in special cases). When your Support levels up, you get a special conversation between the two characters. Naturally the higher the rank, the more intimate (or platonic) the characters will become with each other. For this game and the 4th Fire Emblem game (Genealogy of the Holy War), certain Male-Female Support pairs can marry one another if their Supports are leveled to max. When certain units marry, their child(ren) will become available for battle later after a certain point in the main game due to certain plot-related reasons. The child will inherit certain stats, growth rates, and skills depending on who their parents and parents' classes are. The number of Supports that can be formed are unlimited by anything except the compatibility to start one, while the number of supports allowed to hit S rank for marriage is limited to only 1 per character.

During chapter campaigns, when you are about to initiate an attack on a enemy unit (or vice versa), the character that is fighting will be given stat boosts as long as the other character they have Supports with is positioned within three spaces of him/her. The bonuses can be a combination of Strength, Magic, Def, Luck, Skill, Hit Rate, Avoid Rate, Critical Hit Rate, etc. depending on the type of support. Most Fire Emblem games usually have an elemental symbol label on each character on the Battle Preparations/Barracks screen to categorize what kind of stat boosts supporting with each character entails.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-02-13 at 02:42.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 02:35   Link #243
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Thanks for the details

Just to comfirm one thing, is the support of another character only when they are side by side not diagonal? Stuff like double teaming an enemy an such...?
Old 2013-02-13, 03:10   Link #244
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Thanks for the details

Just to comfirm one thing, is the support of another character only when they are side by side not diagonal? Stuff like double teaming an enemy an such...?
The series is grid-based, so being positioned diagonally from another unit would count as two spaces apart(one left/right and one up/down).

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-02-13 at 04:20.
Old 2013-02-13, 08:55   Link #245
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Checked GameStop, Best Buy, and Walmart... none of them have the bundle. If Target doesn't have it, I may have to order it online directly from Nintendo or something... because I'm running out of ideas.
The bundle is Gamestop only (for the US). Only check elsewhere if you want the catridge alone.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 23:22   Link #246
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:

Play the classic mode, it has one of the defining feature of FE game, perma character death
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:22   Link #247
Shadow5YA

Argh... I'm a little troubled on the paid DLC.

On one hand, I am interested in them because they have some story, characters from other Fire Emblem games, some challenge to some of them, and aren't already on the game cart beforehand to be merely "unlocked" to my knowledge .

On the other hand, it is still paid DLC. I feel like if I buy into this, I may be encouraging Nintendo to become the kind of company Capcom is today with all the DLC heavy games, and that's something I can't approve.
Old 2013-02-15, 00:35   Link #248
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

On one hand, I am interested in them because they have some story, characters from other Fire Emblem games, some challenge to some of them, and aren't already on the game cart beforehand to be merely "unlocked" to my knowledge .

On the other hand, it is still paid DLC. I feel like if I buy into this, I may be encouraging Nintendo to become the kind of company Capcom is today with all the DLC heavy games, and that's something I can't approve.
"Take me money! But do so knowing that I'm handing it over begrudgingly! BEGRUDGINGLY!!!"

...Leave them a note like that?
Old 2013-02-15, 00:46   Link #249
JohnNiles

I would think that having the DLC locked to your hardware would be a major disincentive. We went through this a few pages ago, I think...
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:56   Link #250
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
I would think that having the DLC locked to your hardware would be a major disincentive. We went through this a few pages ago, I think...
Not the hardware. The discussion a page or two back was about how someone lost all their DLC because they lost their 3DS and game, and it was on that console alone so they lost it all.

My question is whether the downloadable content is already on the game itself and the DLC you have to purchase is merely an unlocking code.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-02-15 at 01:06.
Old 2013-02-15, 23:32   Link #251
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Fire emblem delayed for another week...

...why do I even bother...?
Old 2013-02-16, 00:16   Link #252
Shadow5YA

Quote:

Are you looking for the bundle or just the game? The nearest Gamestop was out of stock, so I just went a little further to a different store.
Old 2013-02-16, 00:23   Link #253
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Are you looking for the bundle or just the game? The nearest Gamestop was out of stock, so I just went a little further to a different store.
Lol the game I called up the shop and they told me.

I dont think my country has gamestop.
Old 2013-02-16, 00:47   Link #254
Alchemist007
*Author

Lucky you in that regard.
Old 2013-02-16, 22:18   Link #255
Shadow5YA

So it turns out the NA Fire Emblem 3DS bundle does not include a physical copy of the game. When I got mine, the game is just pre-installed into your limited edition 3DS with a fancy design on it.

The bundle is supposedly a limited edition deal in Japan. Considering how niche the series and the SRPG genre are in general, Nintendo didn't expect the same to sell as well as it is now. Supposedly there's a law that prevents them from making more (does make sense somewhat -- if you can make more of a limited edition, it's not really limited and therefore is false advertising), so Nintendo had to issue an apology over the shortage.

Of course, this is all just hearsay from a friend of mine. I haven't looked much into it myself, though I do know that a lot of stores had delays and shortages of the game.

At least the 3DS design is cool.
Old 2013-02-17, 01:22   Link #256
kyp275
Meh

yea, I thought about getting the bundle, but the lack of physical copy killed it for me. Ended up getting a XL in the end anyway.

Just cleared my first run today, have to say the story is definitely not one of the strong point of the game, though I was oddly addicted to trying to unlock as many support conversation as I could, which also lead to my units being massively overpowered, eliminating any challenges along the way

Think I'll do a more practical run later, after I finish unlocking the rest of the possible convos from my first playthrough
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 01:39   Link #257
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:

I don't know what the English DLC is, but if it is the same as the JP ones, then the first several of just single maps are definitely not worth it. In a way, you could say that Nintendo was trying something they never tried before and messed up, and they realized this and made their future DLC into bundles and stuff that have an actual plot, which is more worth it. Of course, no FE DLC is as bad as say, BandaiNamco's "Hey, pay money for an AHOGE"

But yeah, DLC is DLC. No way jose. I once almost lost to the temptation, but I ended up buying Necromancer for the DSi. Much more worth it. I can get the stories from videos of someone playing the DLC on NicoDouga or the JP Wiki (not that I care enough to do so now).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 01:43   Link #258
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

From the free piece of DLC-esque content you get with the game, I'd say the price they set each DLC pack at is definitely not worth it. Just get the older games if you're going to do that.
Old 2013-02-17, 18:36   Link #259
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
For what it's worth Nintendo is handling it a lot better than Capcom (or Namco for that matter). Unfortunately whether you buy Nintendo's DLC or not won't matter as it's been incredibly successfully for them anyway. It's similar case for most other games companies regardless of what price gouging or shady practices that are applied. DLC is pretty much the future of the industry especially once digital distribution kicks off so it's never going away sadly. Personally, I'd just grab one or two things I like and just leave at that.

Quote:
So it turns out the NA Fire Emblem 3DS bundle does not include a physical copy of the game. When I got mine, the game is just pre-installed into your limited edition 3DS with a fancy design on it.
Whelp, looks like it's regular edition for me then, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
From the free piece of DLC-esque content you get with the game, I'd say the price they set each DLC pack at is definitely not worth it. Just get the older games if you're going to do that.
Honestly all I really want is just the Demon Fighter and Bride classes (I don't even care about Alm or Eirika ).
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 13:50   Link #260
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:

Nintendo screwed up royally with this one. I was lucky to grab my copy when I found it. The GameStop I work at won't even get them until the end of the month. It's ridiculous.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, fire emblem