AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-27, 01:18   Link #841
Xion Valkyrie

So basically, you want to salvage for ecto with rares/exotics? So get the best kit and save it for those. It's not worth salvaging blues/greens at all?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 01:34   Link #842
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
So basically, you want to salvage for ecto with rares/exotics? So get the best kit and save it for those. It's not worth salvaging blues/greens at all?
You can get T6 items from salvaging whites/blues and greens(by using only the basic kit). What I do is salvage white/blue and sell the greens and rares.

Well, if I want Globs, I salvages the rares too but that's only if I want them to make weapon/armor.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 02:58   Link #843
Xion Valkyrie

What level items should I salvage? Just 80 or is some of the lower level ones worth salvaging too?
Old 2012-09-27, 03:04   Link #844
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Generally, that's the idea, yes. Unless you are extremely short of materials, it's always best to sell blues and greens and only salvage whites, which have a chance to also provide Tier 6 basic materials when salvaged using Basic Salvage Kits (the white kit with 25 uses).

At higher level, you basically end up with a surplus of Tier 5 and 6 basic materials, particularly Mithril Ores and Elder Wood Logs. Mithril Ores sell for quite a bit per stack (I made ~40 silvers twice). Orichalcum Ores and Ancient Wood Logs are rarer, but can be gathered easily (the nodes reset at different locations, however), although you may want to save these since they are required to make Exotic weapons and armor for yourself (if you care a lot about stats, that is).

The only exception to these are the cloth and leather materials. Silk and Gossamer Scraps are highly valuable (and as a Light Armor wearer, I hoard those). So are Thick and Hardened Leather Sections. Most of these sell ~1-4 silvers per PIECE. I think I spent around 2-3 golds just buying Gossamer Scraps for my Exotic armor set.

If you level crafting and craft rares that you are not planning to wear, you can always salvage them for a chance at Globs of Ectoplasm (make sure to use either Mystic or Black Lion Salvage Kits for the highest chance possible).

As for Exotics, I don't salvage them, I put them in the Trading Post since they are almost always worth quite a bit.

Quote:
What level items should I salvage? Just 80 or is some of the lower level ones worth salvaging too?
Globs of Ectoplasm have a chance of dropping when salvaging L75-80 rare items. At least, that's my experience with it. Other than that, I vendor/trade the rest.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 06:42   Link #845
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I've decided crafting is too much of a pain (besides cooking, the one they outright tell you is the hardest to level but is actually by far the easiest, ha) and it'd be easier to just buy a full exotic set off the trading post, so I've begun just selling everything. Have made over 7 gold in a couple days with 0 effort just tossing on the TP whatever rares and crafting materials I find in the course of map completion/dragon events. Jormag event is great for getting Corrupted Lodestones which sell for almost a gold each.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 08:41   Link #846
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Now I sell to npc all non rare/exotics and salvage lv75+ rare/exotics for ecto.

Rare can give 0 to 3 ectos. Exotic is ? to 5. My first exotic salvage gave me 5 of them.

Crafting is a pain. I'm just relying on my friend who's very close to having lv400 all crafting XD.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 09:23   Link #847
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

For me crafting is not about the lvl 80 exotic armor etc, its more about the process of discovering all recipes, crafting gear that suits my style exactly, dressing up my characters in all kinds of stuff, seeing a progression from rags to riches and beeing self reliant.

Remember Diablo III's action house? Most people complained that it took away the fun of finding stuff yourself while the crafting was a bad joke. Now people complain that its a hassle?
Old 2012-09-27, 10:11   Link #848
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post

Remember Diablo III's action house? Most people complained that it took away the fun of finding stuff yourself while the crafting was a bad joke. Now people complain that its a hassle?
I wouldn't really say that's an accurate comparison because the entire point of D3 is to find items; they are the means and the end. The item hunt is the game. Whereas in GW2, there's more to do and having the gear just makes you more effective at it. (I also really hate the "people are hypocrites because they were complaining about x and now they're complaining about y" argument in general because it rarely tends to consider that the people complaining about one thing are very likely not the same people complaining about its opposite, in situations where that applies.)

The crafting system in GW2 is really grindy despite Anet purportedly being against that, requiring tons of Fine materials you either have to spend hours farming for as random drops or buying off the auction house. And it's even worse for professions like leatherworking, where even their basic material comes from random enemy drops and not from nodes. So, you're very likely going to be using the AH either way unless you really like to grind. And it's often cheaper to buy a full set off the AH than it is to craft it.

The rest is really just a matter of taste. I don't care about being 100% self-reliant in an MMO and don't feel a sense of accomplishment from knowing every recipe that I will never use. I don't consider crafting or grinding to be gameplay, just barriers to entry I have to pass to get to the real game. I just want to play challenging content without being held back by my gear, so when it comes down to having to spend a ton of money and time to make an item, or buying an identical one that can be bought instantly and for less money, I know what I'm going to do.

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2012-09-27 at 10:24.
Old 2012-09-27, 11:15   Link #849
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

I think the usefulness of crafting is through it's exp. The rare armors you can craft on your way to level 80 is pretty fun too as they are a little bit more fancy compared to the standard blue/green stuff.

What I hate about crafts right now is the trade post locations. I'm trying to level precisely so I don't waste gold on extra mats at a certain tier and I end up having to take trips to the trade post area to grab enough materials for one more craft. Really annoying.

With the buff to dungeon token drops I think that might be the easiest way to grab an exotic armor set. Bought the AC great sword for my mesmer last night.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 12:17   Link #850
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I wouldn't really say that's an accurate comparison because the entire point of D3 is to find items; they are the means and the end. The item hunt is the game. Whereas in GW2, there's more to do and having the gear just makes you more effective at it. (I also really hate the "people are hypocrites because they were complaining about x and now they're complaining about y" argument in general because it rarely tends to consider that the people complaining about one thing are very likely not the same people complaining about its opposite, in situations where that applies.)

The crafting system in GW2 is really grindy despite Anet purportedly being against that, requiring tons of Fine materials you either have to spend hours farming for as random drops or buying off the auction house. And it's even worse for professions like leatherworking, where even their basic material comes from random enemy drops and not from nodes. So, you're very likely going to be using the AH either way unless you really like to grind. And it's often cheaper to buy a full set off the AH than it is to craft it.

The rest is really just a matter of taste. I don't care about being 100% self-reliant in an MMO and don't feel a sense of accomplishment from knowing every recipe that I will never use. I don't consider crafting or grinding to be gameplay, just barriers to entry I have to pass to get to the real game. I just want to play challenging content without being held back by my gear, so when it comes down to having to spend a ton of money and time to make an item, or buying an identical one that can be bought instantly and for less money, I know what I'm going to do.
While I do agree that it is grindy if you are looking for top-stat gears, explorable dungeons are completely doable with a green (Masterwork) item sets as long as your group doesn't have a complete tool. I pretty much cleared all story mode dungeons in blues and greens and ran several explorable modes in them. Encounters in explorable dungeons are definitely tougher and more difficult, but they are not as much dependent on your stats than they are on your team's ability to cooperate and adapt to the situation. There are no more gear checks in this game than there are skill checks, which is a complete shock and awe when you enter a dungeon expecting a typical dynamic event scenario where everyone just pile on top of the target.
Old 2012-09-27, 12:51   Link #851
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
While I do agree that it is grindy if you are looking for top-stat gears, explorable dungeons are completely doable with a green (Masterwork) item sets as long as your group doesn't have a complete tool. I pretty much cleared all story mode dungeons in blues and greens and ran several explorable modes in them. Encounters in explorable dungeons are definitely tougher and more difficult, but they are not as much dependent on your stats than they are on your team's ability to cooperate and adapt to the situation. There are no more gear checks in this game than there are skill checks, which is a complete shock and awe when you enter a dungeon expecting a typical dynamic event scenario where everyone just pile on top of the target.
Yeah I know, I'm just of the mindset that I'd rather have my character be as powerful as he can be statwise so I can play at max potential even if it isn't required. I'm definitely a fan of skill checks as opposed to gear checks though; I see the latter as artificial difficulty as I implied earlier. That's the main reason why I am playing this game and not any other MMOs.

I think the viability of green gear is actually another major strike against crafting though. You can buy an entire green level 80 set for less than a gold. It would take quite a bit more than that to level crafting to the point where you could make that gear. I can see leveling it because the armor skins are appealing, though that isn't enough reason for me personally to do it.
Old 2012-09-27, 13:28   Link #852
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
The problem was that crafting in D3 was 90% trash and the rest remaining extremely expensive and frequently involved recipes that are incredibly hard to find. It's not even practical for most people who are casual. Creating something useful wasn't reliable and the AH was. Also, the AH was the fun part of the game! The other thing is that the drop rates were tuned to the AH, making it crap for those that wanted single player. Gear also determined your character's power completely-- a unequipped player at level 60 plvl100 would do almost no damage and die instantly thus making it mandatory. Gw2 doesn't really force you into anything.

Gw2 has a much better time vs risk vs reward ratio when it comes to playing.

Although I do wonder what will happen to low-mid level items as more people reach 80. Then again, they are selling at the vendor price, which is fine.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 14:30   Link #853
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The problem was that crafting in D3 was 90% trash and the rest remaining extremely expensive and frequently involved recipes that are incredibly hard to find. It's not even practical for most people who are casual. Creating something useful wasn't reliable and the AH was. Also, the AH was the fun part of the game! The other thing is that the drop rates were tuned to the AH, making it crap for those that wanted single player. Gear also determined your character's power completely-- a unequipped player at level 60 plvl100 would do almost no damage and die instantly thus making it mandatory. Gw2 doesn't really force you into anything.

Gw2 has a much better time vs risk vs reward ratio when it comes to playing.

Although I do wonder what will happen to low-mid level items as more people reach 80. Then again, they are selling at the vendor price, which is fine.
I always vend my produce. Because I have no inventory space for them.

On the other hand it seems that SoS really sucks at WvW. We just recaptured the entire continent only to lose it to a bunch of indecisive independent players. In the end I just formed a commando team with a few players to take all the supply camps one by one, diverting manpower from IoJ's main assaults.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:34   Link #854
Xion Valkyrie

Thanks for the salvaging tips. I'm hitting 80 soon and I need some quick gold to buy a full set of exotics.

Quote:
I've decided crafting is too much of a pain (besides cooking, the one they outright tell you is the hardest to level but is actually by far the easiest, ha) and it'd be easier to just buy a full exotic set off the trading post, so I've begun just selling everything. Have made over 7 gold in a couple days with 0 effort just tossing on the TP whatever rares and crafting materials I find in the course of map completion/dragon events. Jormag event is great for getting Corrupted Lodestones which sell for almost a gold each.
Where's this Jormag event and what's the time table for it? =D
Old 2012-09-27, 17:16   Link #855
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I'm not sure what is wrong on that. Do you get any error messages when you get disconnected?
It says "Game client has lost connection to the server. Please wait a few minutes before restarting the client and trying again. Then a bunch of numbers on the (Code). Yet I can still get back on Animesuki and chat just fine.
Old 2012-09-27, 17:54   Link #856
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:

Where's this Jormag event and what's the time table for it? =D
Frostgorge Sound, the northern lv 70-80 zone. Every 3 hours like the other dragons. Unlike them though he actually has fight mechanics and the battle can take a long time if people are being stupid.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:15   Link #857
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Thanks for the salvaging tips. I'm hitting 80 soon and I need some quick gold to buy a full set of exotics.
I highly advise against buying Exotics from the Trading Post because (1) they are highly overpriced (at least for named items); and (2) the stats are just fluffier than Rares (~13% increase). For example, if a Rare gives you +100 Power, the Exotic version will give you +113 Power. Same for all other stats. It's not an incredible upgrade stat-wise (to me, at least) and they are priced extremely high due to the rarity of the materials (you need at least 5x Globs of Ectoplasm per piece, which translates to 30 globs for armor set, 25 globs for accessory set, and 5-20 globs - depending if you're two-handing or main-/off-handing for your weapon set) necessary to craft them.

If you really want to buy Exotics, I'd recommend it for weapons (because of higher base damage), but not armors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
It says "Game client has lost connection to the server. Please wait a few minutes before restarting the client and trying again. Then a bunch of numbers on the (Code). Yet I can still get back on Animesuki and chat just fine.
Is the error code starting with 7:x:x:x:x? If so, the support information is as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild Wars 2 Support
"The game client lost its connection to the server. Please wait a few minutes before restarting the client and trying again."

If you continue to experience this error after waiting and restarting the client, please try temporarily disabling any security software such as Norton, AVAST, AVG, or McAfee. If this does not work, you might also try adjusting the 'security' setting within the firewall settings. Lowering this setting to 'medium' or 'low' will often clear up connection issues.

In the event that adjusting the security settings does not resolve the issue, please try temporarily uninstalling the security software completely. If this does resolve the issue, please contact the software manufacturer for instructions on how to configure it correctly if you wish to reinstall it.

In addition, Guild Wars 2 requires TCP ports 80, 443, 6112 and port 6600 be fully unrestricted and accessible, both inbound and outbound. For further information about opening ports or port forwarding, you can visit the following website: http://www.portforward.com Please note, this site is not affiliated with or supported by NCsoft or ArenaNet.

If you are connecting to Guild Wars 2 while on a campus, military, or business network, please check with your network's administrator to verify that these ports are fully opened and unrestricted. If you are on a home Local Area Network (LAN), you will want to make sure that your network's hardware is properly configured.
Quote:
Frostgorge Sound, the northern lv 70-80 zone. Every 3 hours like the other dragons. Unlike them though he actually has fight mechanics and the battle can take a long time if people are being stupid.
But ... but ... but ... I wanna get stomped by him (at least once) for the achievement! D:
Old 2012-09-28, 02:46   Link #858
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
I highly advise against buying Exotics from the Trading Post because (1) they are highly overpriced (at least for named items); and (2) the stats are just fluffier than Rares (~13% increase). For example, if a Rare gives you +100 Power, the Exotic version will give you +113 Power. Same for all other stats. It's not an incredible upgrade stat-wise (to me, at least) and they are priced extremely high due to the rarity of the materials (you need at least 5x Globs of Ectoplasm per piece, which translates to 30 globs for armor set, 25 globs for accessory set, and 5-20 globs - depending if you're two-handing or main-/off-handing for your weapon set) necessary to craft them.

If you really want to buy Exotics, I'd recommend it for weapons (because of higher base damage), but not armors.
Well there's really nothing else to spend money on other than the gear with the best stats, and they're not really that expensive right now.
Old 2012-09-28, 06:35   Link #859
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Well there's really nothing else to spend money on other than the gear with the best stats, and they're not really that expensive right now.
This. The only things that are massively expensive are the weapons that can be turned into legendaries. Most other exotics, with the same stats, can be bought for under 3g per piece which isn't an exorbitant amount when you're 80.
Old 2012-09-28, 06:53   Link #860
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Lol the lvl 79 exotic gears were like 22 gold last night for light armor. "Are you kidding me!?"
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote