Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-15, 08:22   Link #641
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
-Dragon Roads are easy to beat...(In which case, Kuro since she does not play defense.)
The problem is not that she doesn't play defensively, the problem lies that she can't play defensively due to her ability completely backfiring on her if she discards a dora.

Quote:
-Red tiles only applies to any tile that is red, which also include Dora. Since Man and Chun(And some other pins and sous) has red, do not wait for those.
I am pretty sure Yuu's power includes any tiles that has a red colour somewhere like the bamboo 1, 5, 7, 9 or the circle 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 tiles. That's why it was said that there is no actual way of countering it (besides playing it safe and not discarding those tiles, but it won't win you games) , because she can get so many different tiles.
And unlike Kuro, she can discard those tiles without any repercussions.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-05-15 at 08:35.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 08:42   Link #642
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
The problem is not that she doesn't play defensively, the problem lies that she can't play defensively due to her ability completely backfiring on her if she discards a dora.

I am pretty sure Yuu's power includes any tiles that has a red colour somewhere like the bamboo 1, 5, 7, 9 or the circle 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 tiles. That's why it was said that there is no actual way of countering it (besides playing it safe and not discarding those tiles, but it won't win you games) , because she can get so many different tiles.
And unlike Kuro, she can discard those tiles without any repercussions.
Although if you notice you get all greens, you are practically winning.(But since unlike Kuro's skill, there is no backfire, she can discard any tiles with ease.) So like you said, maybe it is impossible. Since from some pictures(Haven't watch, waiting for the sub group to sub this episode), there is a 6 sou there...

So in order not to get backfired, Kuro has to discard non-Dora tiles? Assuming the enemy kan 3 of the tiles, if Kuro has 12 Doras inside............(Speaking of which, if the players total kan more than 4 BEFORE the person's turn throws the tile, is it counted as a draw?) I think Kuro's skill can be put to good use...
Old 2012-05-15, 09:01   Link #643
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Although if you notice you get all greens, you are practically winning.(But since unlike Kuro's skill, there is no backfire, she can discard any tiles with ease.) So like you said, maybe it is impossible. Since from some pictures(Haven't watch, waiting for the sub group to sub this episode), there is a 6 sou there...
The bamboo 6 is not a tile that has anything red in it, but Yuu's hand had the bamboo 5 and 7 which are red. So Yuu doesn't even need to win on a "red" tile with a ron, which makes it even harder to predict what is safe to discard.

Quote:

So in order not to get backfired, Kuro has to discard non-Dora tiles? Assuming the enemy kan 3 of the tiles, if Kuro has 12 Doras inside............(Speaking of which, if the players total kan more than 4 BEFORE the person's turn throws the tile, is it counted as a draw?) I think Kuro's skill can be put to good use...
In normal games, it's quite rare to see any Kan's. Unless she was fighting Saki, don't ever expect her to have 12 dora tiles.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:21   Link #644
night_sentinel

Finally, I have some free time to watch episode 6. And right at the bat there is Kuro and Yuu sisterly love. I like the role reversal here with the little sister who is always protecting the elder one instead of the other way around.

And its a very nice backdrop to the match with Yuu being able to prove that she can help or protect Kuro in some way too. Sigh ... I really have a weakness for this type of relationship so this is the highlight of the episode for me.

Spoiler for spoiler for the original Saki anime:
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 09:21   Link #645
hyl
reading #hikaributts

For the people wanting to know what is 100% safe to discard against Yuu:
-any wind
-any dragon besides the red one
-bamboo 2, 3, 4

Any other tile could get you ron'd by her.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:23   Link #646
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Kuro said it herself. If she discards a dora, then she outright loses her Dora Magnet powers for the rest of the game. Seeing as her defense play is not good - she'd lose her offensive capability as well.

Quote:
Shizuno is still a ??? for me.
Seeing as she doesn't wear pants... she likes to go "Open Riichi"... and scores off of tsumos!!

Spoiler:

C'mon Shizu! Put some frikkin' pants on!!
Spoiler for NSFW:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 12:42   Link #647
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Watched ep 6 last night ... was so glad that did a good job (at least I thought so) in portraying Yuu. She is without doubt my fave of the Achiga team.

This series continues to deliver for me....
Old 2012-05-15, 13:49   Link #648
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
-any wind
-bamboo 2, 3, 4

I wouldn't go as far as calling any discard 100% safe.

Her power is limited to skewing her draw distribution, so it probably won't stop her from drawing "cold" tiles every once in a while.
Old 2012-05-15, 15:08   Link #649
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I wouldn't go as far as calling any discard 100% safe.

Her power is limited to skewing her draw distribution, so it probably won't stop her from drawing "cold" tiles every once in a while.
I do mean when she is in tenpai. Of course they can discard a red dragon or a characters tile without getting hit by a ron from her, but the tiles that i mentioned are the only 100% safe ones. Because those tiles are not connected to "red tiles" in a way that she can claim a ron.
I was just elaborating why Senriyama was saying that there is no actual tactic against Yuu's playstyle, because there aren't many actual safe tiles.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-05-15 at 15:20.
Old 2012-05-15, 23:33   Link #650
night_sentinel

I agree with the above statement there is really no foolproof defense that can be done against Yuu's playstyle that will not kill your hand. But, I would also add that it doesn't really have many advantage either.

Due to the sheer number of tiles that has red in them, Yuu's playstyle is just like playing ordinary mahjong just with a more skewed probability and the player discarding unorthodox tiles ( cold tiles).

The only advantage of this style that I can see :
1. The unreliability of suji as shown in the anime. Yuu's discard would be hard to read since her discarding is unorthodox.
2. Perhaps it makes Yuu reach tenpai faster since probability is skewed toward her.

When you think about it, Yuu's power is actually mild in comparison to others but on the upside it doesn't carry a big gaping flaw like Kuro.

On Yuu's disadvantage since she skews probability of red tiles being drawn by her. Then she lowers the chance that they are drawn by other players. The other players will then have a higher chance of drawing non-red tiles. If there is a playstyle that needs a lot of cold tiles then Yuu's power will be helping that player. For example. A player that specialize in an all green yakuman.
Old 2012-05-15, 23:59   Link #651
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just watched Episode 6.

I actually liked the pacing of this episode myself.

If I recall correctly, somebody speculated that we'd have 3 episodes for this round and 5 for the next, taking us through this anime and the semifinals. That speculation looks very likely to be correct now (either that or 4 and 4) and that's probably the best way to handle it.

I like how Team Achiga isn't storming back into first place right away, and will really have to fight for that victory if they do achieve it. IIRC, the first and second place teams both advance, so the narrative could easily have them finish second here.
Old 2012-05-16, 05:20   Link #652
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
-any wind
-bamboo 2, 3, 4

Whites are considered cold...(Haku.)
Grass made by the wind which cause it to be COLD....(Wind and Green tiles.)
But as long as there is red between the greens/black you will feel warm.(5,7 sou in between is 6 sou.)
Old 2012-05-16, 05:23   Link #653
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Whites are considered cold...(Haku.)
Grass made by the wind which cause it to be COLD....(Wind and Green tiles.)
But as long as there is red between the greens/black you will feel warm.(5,6,7 sou)
She obviously has no problems with bamboo tiles as long as it has a red colour in it, because she won a hand with it a bamboo 6 wait. The bamboo 6 tile is either completely green or half blue and green, depending on with what kind of tiles you are playing with. It's not a "warm" tile but in some cases even a cold tile.
Old 2012-05-16, 19:00   Link #654
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
On Yuu's disadvantage since she skews probability of red tiles being drawn by her. Then she lowers the chance that they are drawn by other players. The other players will then have a higher chance of drawing non-red tiles. If there is a playstyle that needs a lot of cold tiles then Yuu's power will be helping that player. For example. A player that specialize in an all green yakuman.
I guess she wouldn't want to meet Mao Zedong in a mahjong match then.
Old 2012-05-16, 20:55   Link #655
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Heh, a Legend of Koizumi crossover? That would be something.
Old 2012-05-17, 01:52   Link #656
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Great episode, and Yuu's match was great to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Heh, a Legend of Koizumi crossover? That would be something.
Saki already had a cameo of sorts though:
Spoiler for cameo:
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 01:54   Link #657
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I scored a Ryuu Iiso once -- without any hatsu. Hell, one hatsu was in my discard.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 02:24   Link #658
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Saki already had a cameo of sorts though
Wait, what? What chapter was THAT from? The extra chapter I remember had Putin in it, and NOT Saki's author.
Old 2012-05-17, 03:06   Link #659
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Wait, what? What chapter was THAT from? The extra chapter I remember had Putin in it, and NOT Saki's author.
It was a separate oneshot that Koizumi's mangaka did, actually. See http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=61140.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 04:41   Link #660
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post

Saki already had a cameo of sorts though:
Spoiler for cameo:

Is it just me or does Ritz looks like Arata from Achiga?

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri