AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-12-14, 10:23   Link #221
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

The way I see it, Sony has a much shorter path to fixing BC than Microsoft started with...and even has now. At least PS2 games play IN SOME FORM on the PS3. As somebody who never owned an Xbox, I want to know why more than a year after launch, I still can't play at least half of the quality xbox exclusives on my 360.
Old 2006-12-14, 10:47   Link #222
Lebron
I hear voices

I really wish they added some of the 2D fighting games to the BC list.

Main reason why I think they aren't bothering, is they just don't care. Also not too many are making a uproar. The games that majority of people wanted BC were added to the list, and the systems top sellers were, aswell. Now the other games are just in a wait and see mode.

Look at Physchonauts for instance, that game wasn't even going to be BC anytime soon, until the fans made that huge ass petition demanding the game be BC. Then bam, it finally gets added to the BC list from the recent update.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 12:01   Link #223
HimuraKiyone
Editor Extrordinaire

Send a message via ICQ to HimuraKiyone Send a message via AIM to HimuraKiyone Send a message via MSN to HimuraKiyone Send a message via Yahoo to HimuraKiyone
I want to say, firstly, that Psychnauts is an awesome game. Absolutely fabulous.
Secondly, I am playing Final Fantasy XII on my PS3 right now and it looks gorgeous. I have had no problems with it. I've tryed out several PS2 games even one that uses the eye toy and one that uses a microphone and I've experienced no loss of quality, jumps, freezes, hiccups, crashing, blue-screening, noise or pixelization. I didn't have a problem with the one PS1 game I popped in either, but it was only one game. You do realize that because there is a PS2 chip in the PS3, it's essentially like having a PS2 inside your PS3. There should be no difference.
HimuraKiyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 12:01   Link #224
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
I really wish they added some of the 2D fighting games to the BC list.

Main reason why I think they aren't bothering, is they just don't care. Also not too many are making a uproar. The games that majority of people wanted BC were added to the list, and the systems top sellers were, aswell. Now the other games are just in a wait and see mode.

Look at Physchonauts for instance, that game wasn't even going to be BC anytime soon, until the fans made that huge ass petition demanding the game be BC. Then bam, it finally gets added to the BC list from the recent update.
Are you referring to the PS3 or the 360?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited by Papaya; 2006-12-14 at 13:57.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 13:36   Link #225
Knightmare213

@HimuraKiyone: Well, FFXII is pretty much a recent game that came out on NA about a month and a half ago. That game may have been tweaked a bit for the PS3 backward capability, but we really don't know...(well I don't at least).

However, if this video was real, like someone said, we "need to give Mr. Sony some time," and through the Sony store, the PS3 consumers will be able to download the anti-aliasing program...or not.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 14:58   Link #226
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
The video shows how the PS3's backward capability is poor and messes up the graphics of the PS2 games and PS1 games. The video uses Final Fantasy X's opening scene as an example. Really suprising when I saw this.
Luckily for me I stil have my PS2 and I don't plan to sell it . . .so . . . If I ever do get a PS3 then I won't have to worry about the probs . . . but still . . an expensive video game console that you pay 600+ just to set it up should not have problems as bad as that . . I'll wait
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 15:03   Link #227
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
Luckily for me I stil have my PS2 and I don't plan to sell it . . .so . . . If I ever do get a PS3 then I won't have to worry about the probs . . . but still . . an expensive video game console that you pay 600+ just to set it up should not have problems as bad as that . . I'll wait
I was planning to sell my own PS2, which is the original bulky version, a month before the release of PS3. But now, until the firmware fixing the graphic problems, and other ones, I'll be keeping my PS2 for now. However, another plan I had for PS2 afterI bought was to create my own "SmashMyPS2" video.

Stupid idea? Maybe...but not if your PS2 is dying on you.
Old 2006-12-14, 15:11   Link #228
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Stupid idea? Maybe...but not if your PS2 is dying on you.
That sucks it is dying on you . . . . mine still looks brand new . . I've had it for like 3 years + now . . . I have a knack for keeping things clean and looking brand new . . . . . the other day I played Gundam Battle Assualt 2 . . There is nothing like whipping out an old PS1 game and duking it out and beating the CP player to the ground LOL
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 22:54   Link #229
Lebron
I hear voices

Yea, my 1st PS2, which was the bulky one, started dying on me like 2 years ago. It would always load up games so freaking slow. I mean it would stay in the browser menu, saying "reading disc" for like 6mins before it would finally boot it up. But lucky for me I one big in a poker game, and was able to buy the new slim version. I just gave the 1st one to my god brother, and was like, "enjoy". :P

My First Xbox kept trying to die on me, aswell. I ended up having to change the DVD drive in it, 2 times, before it started acting right.

I member back when I had a PS1, and I finally got my PS2. I took apart my PS1 and took apart my Sega Saturn, and tried to combine them into one system, lol. I was serious too, had my soldering gun and everything. Connecting wires, boards, and what not. But it caught on fire on me, and I had to throw them both out.

Good times, I loved being Techy.
Old 2006-12-15, 08:43   Link #230
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Guitar Hero fans should remember that the controllers won't work with the PS3. Another reason to hold onto your PS2. On a related, albiet entirely off topic, note:

Pitcher misses games due to Guitar Hero
Old 2006-12-15, 10:18   Link #231
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Guitar Hero fans should remember that the controllers won't work with the PS3. Another reason to hold onto your PS2. On a related, albiet entirely off topic, note:

Pitcher misses games due to Guitar Hero
Wow...as much as I like to say that baseball is my favorite so far, this was completely unexpceted. But for some reason, we might have news from NHL, NBA or even LPGA news regarding Wii-related injuries.
Old 2006-12-19, 01:35   Link #232
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKiyone View Post
I want to say, firstly, that Psychnauts is an awesome game. Absolutely fabulous.
Secondly, I am playing Final Fantasy XII on my PS3 right now and it looks gorgeous. I have had no problems with it. I've tryed out several PS2 games even one that uses the eye toy and one that uses a microphone and I've experienced no loss of quality, jumps, freezes, hiccups, crashing, blue-screening, noise or pixelization. I didn't have a problem with the one PS1 game I popped in either, but it was only one game. You do realize that because there is a PS2 chip in the PS3, it's essentially like having a PS2 inside your PS3. There should be no difference.
what kind of hook up do you have to your TV? are you using the older Video composites like what the PS2 had, or are you using the HDMI?...

I saw that video on a blog and someone said that they contacted a sony rep who said that the HMDI might have those kind of effects... suppossedly, i guess that means the PS2 and PS1 games work just fine so long as you use video composite instead of the HDMI...

Quote:
Ya, same here, even if i do get a PS3 i'm not sure it i could sell my PS2... it's a first generation PS2 and it still works perefectly to this day... a little bit of sentimental value if you will...

though if i do get rid of my PS2 ever, i will probably donate it or something...it has treated me well, it deserves the best it can get ^^
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 02:27   Link #233
ramune

While we're on the topic of PS2 games on PS3, I have a question.

I know that PS3 games are region-free, but could PS3 play PS2 games from any region?
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 02:33   Link #234
Papaya
Sup

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163441...stnews;title;4

Time says PS3 was a bust
PlayStation 3 one of five things magazine says "went from buzz to bust"; calls console "hideously expensive," launch titles "lame."

What do you guys think? A lot of mainstream (nongaming) print media seem to be very anti-PS3.

It's funny too that even with all this next-gen hype, the PS2 still outsells all the next-gen systems. From what I understand, in a lot of countries, the PSOne is still huge too.
Old 2006-12-20, 07:03   Link #235
Lebron
I hear voices

Not surprising. The PS2 is a lot cheaper than the next-gen consoles, and it has a well established library of games. Not to mention it still has good games coming out. PS2 is going to be outselling next-gen consoles, and especially its big brother, at least until fall of next year.

As for PS3 being a disappointment, eh thats way too early to tell. Now grading its launch, then yea, it was. Considering how much hype they built up at E3 '05 and '06, it in no way delivered to that aspect, for its launch. I was a tad underwhelmed with it, a lot more so than when I picked up my 360 a year ago and when roommate got his Wii. But its all good, and can't wait to play the ass load of games coming out next year on all 3 systems. I have a big O list
Old 2006-12-20, 21:43   Link #236
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Not surprising in the least. The playstation 3 is over half a thousand dollars, and whatever titles it has now aren't even worth getting the system over. Nintendo's wiimote is a good gimmick that will keep people tagging on until they can release Smash Brawl, Xbox 360 I feel is meh from what I've seen, and for PS3, it looks like we're waiting another year until we see Lightning and FFXIII, which looks absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. Every single final fantasy release that was the first on a new playstation was nothing short of amazing. VII is just well...holy shit, X was gorgeous and far more emotionally beautiful and gripping than VII could ever hope to be (ZOH NOEZ, AERISS! -_-...), and XIII is just OMGWTFBBQ WOW. The graphics are as far as I can tell the same that's in the FMV, and Lightning going diving through Yuna's wardrobe makes it all the better!
Old 2006-12-21, 11:40   Link #237
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Well whaddaya expect from Time?

Honestly, the mainstream press doesn't have a clue about video games or consoles. To say that the PS3 has lame games completely ignores the fact that it launched with Resistance, which IGN has called a "killer app". Sure, it's not worth it to buy a PS3 now- primarily for 1st gen hardware reasons, but then, it wasn't worth it to buy a 360 when that launched a year ago. Less so, even. The 360 had an even less impressive launch line-up.

And the Wii, IMO, shouldn't even be compared alongside the other 2. Sure, it's fun (though I remain skeptical about the variety of games that will be offered), but it isn't really trying to offer the same things the other two are.

But the press just glosses over surface details and rails against the PS3.

Last edited by wsheit; 2006-12-21 at 12:05.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 16:55   Link #238
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/ps3-vue-actu-67342.html
I don't know if it's announced in English Site But Sony is prepared to launch a New Version of PS3... Like PSX if you remember, you want the Price? 1900Euros for European, 300000 Yens...

Equip with the famous processor CELL, 2 Jacks HDMI and a Huge HardDisk and A lot of Another Function who will be revealed in the Future.
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 18:31   Link #239
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/ps3-vue-actu-67342.html
I don't know if it's announced in English Site But Sony is prepared to launch a New Version of PS3... Like PSX if you remember, you want the Price? 1900Euros for European, 300000 Yens...

Equip with the famous processor CELL, 2 Jacks HDMI and a Huge HardDisk and A lot of Another Function who will be revealed in the Future.
Something's way fishy about that. It's gotta be either a hoax or an old article referring to the 600 dollar PS3.
Old 2006-12-21, 19:09   Link #240
Papaya
Sup

Fishy yes, but Jeuxvideo.fr is a pretty good site and tends to get fairly reliable information quite quickly, somehow.

Makes sense though. PS3 = higher end gamers... PS3X = rich people :O

Tags
console, ps3, sony