AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-06-29, 13:14   Link #1281
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Agree as the Netherlands were really harmless in open play versus Mexico. Their main game plan is till counter attacks through Robben pace. And once he was doubled marked, they seemly created little chance in open play

Who will they face in semi-final if all the favourite go through? Brazil, Argentina or German/France?
Probably Belgium or Argentina.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:14   Link #1282
Bri

The weather conditions were insane for a midday game. Before the match Van Gaal mentioned players were losing 4 liters of fluid in practice games and risked suffering from hallucinations.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:15   Link #1283
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

In nest round could be Costa Rica/ Greece, Semifinals could be Belgium, Argentina, USA or... hummm... missing one here. Any help?
Old 2014-06-29, 13:15   Link #1284
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Right now, I'm chilling down.

The problem with Mexico was precisely what Blaat posted, scoring earlier in the second half.

The Mexicans got too overconfident after the goal, and they stopped trying to keep possession of the ball in order to continue psychologically unbalance the Dutch team.

Netherlands is not a team that goes unbalanced after a goal is scored against them, depending on the match and conditions set.

Regardless if the Dutch depend too much on Robben, they deserved to win simply, because they kept pushing and pushing and pushing to the end, combined with the Mexican arrogance and fatal mistakes, that what's made Netherlands to qualify for the quarter-finals.

People keep on telling me that it is just a game, and I wouldn't mind if Mexico have lost, as long as they have kept the same pace in the first half.
Indeed, it's true like the saying goes, "Arrogance predates fall".
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:22   Link #1285
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Argentina.
I'm not quite willing to put money on Argentina just yet. The Swiss have goals in them (2.33 goals per game in the first 3 matches) and Argentina is not all that at the back. Should Messi be having a bad game because someone is sticking to him, Argentina will be in trouble.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:22   Link #1286
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
In nest round could be Costa Rica/ Greece, Semifinals could be Belgium, Argentina, USA or... hummm... missing one here. Any help?
Switzerland
Old 2014-06-29, 13:23   Link #1287
Mentar
Banned

Holland-Argentina would be a scary game, especially in the heat. That's a game where I would predict more than one red card.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:26   Link #1288
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Mexico were really unlucky, IMO they were the better team for the majority of the match. And again another delicate match decided by a questionable ref call. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Holland-Argentina would be a scary game, especially in the heat. That's a game where I would predict more than one red card.
Honestly I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but I do agree it's probably going to be a rough game.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:31   Link #1289
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I remember people saying that in 2004 about Greece or ahead of this Netherlands/Mexico match. I'm not taking anything for granted anymore.

Anyway, Louis van Gaal has a lot of Ferguson in him when it comes to get his troops fighting to the very bitter end. He will well and truly be earning his money in the Northwest of England.
True, this game reminded me a lot of United vs Bayern in '99.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:33   Link #1290
Kakurin
大佐

Once again the Dutch fail to impress. Honestly, their only strong half was the second half against a Spanish team that fell apart. They struggled mightily against Australia and didn't bother attacking in the game against Chile (who were without Vidal). In this game again, first 45 minutes absolutely nothing from the Dutch. In the second half after the goal they had lots of possession, but the game plan was more or less long balls towards the front in the hope that either van Persie / Huntelaar or Robben get to it. In the end Mexico's downfall was the inability to keep the ball. It's close to impossible to give the ball away like that and not concede. The corner that led to the goal was terribly defended, nobody was 3-4 metres near Sneijder. And the penalty, Marquez was unlucky there, couldn't stop anymore. Robben won't miss a chance to showcase how spectacularly he can fall.

I also think that the Netherlands have the semis 90% in the bag. Neither Costa Rica, nor Greece have the ability to put the lid on Robben for 90 minutes and score enough goals to make up for it. Although thinking about it, I like Costa Rica's chances more than Greece. They have shown that they can score goals. Unlike Greece that is who advanced with scoring only 2 goals in the group stage.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:34   Link #1291
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Kinda disappointed to see Mexico going out in this manner. Holland got too many chances to push into their box and despite all the great save by Mexico's keeper, it was going to crack sooner or later with the amount of attacks that Holland was putting on them.

I don't think Mexico had any chance after Holland equalized but still it was a shame for the match to be decided by a late penalty and also caused by Robben (a player i don't like personally).
Old 2014-06-29, 13:34   Link #1292
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I thought it was penalty on Robben in the recovery time, he may be a diver but the defender caught his foot. I also think that it was penalty on the first occasion as well, since he received two fouls in one action. As many have said, Mexico started going all defensive too soon, they arrived safe at minute 88 but you never know what's going to happen when you're under assault like that.

Fantastic goal by Snejder, he had to shoot just in that small corner with all his force to avoid a defender's interception. He succeeded. I thought Van Gaal was too exposed to sun when he subbed Van Persie (one player I would always leave in the field) but good old Huntelaar other than scoring the penalty did his job in the opponents' area.

I'd be very cautious in affirming that Costarica or Greece will be unable to stop Holland, football is so full of unpredictable scenarios.

Just a quick sum up of who's going to play who.

Quarter Finals:

Brazil vs. Colombia (winner team is #1)
Holland vs. Costarica or Greece (#2)
France or Nigeria - Germany or Algeria (#3)
Argentina or Switzerland - Belgium or USA (#4)

Semifinals:

#1 - #3
#2 - #4

If all favourite win, semifinals will be Germany-Brazil and Argentina-Holland. But never, never rule out surprises.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:34   Link #1293
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

It took Sneijder almost 4 matches to show why he's in the basis. He may have saved our asses with the tie goal, I'm still not sure if Van Gaal should still use him from the start in the next match.

The reffing was so-so. Missed two penalties, should've booked some Mexican players when they kept calling for cards, but at the very least, the last penalty was seen and justly awarded, and he saw through some Mexican foils.

Not really a very interesting match, though. I'm starting to think the 5-3-2- formation is losing its effect, especially when switching to 4-3-3 suddenly had Mexico in disarray.

Oh well, we're in the quarters, that's what matters.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:35   Link #1294
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
True, this game reminded me a lot of United vs Bayern in '99.
It's worth noting that not always the prettiest teams win, but this kind of mentality is certainly the one that wins you tournaments. Netherlands' reaction is on that level right now.

Today it was not their best display, but sometimes a team needs a win like to show that they've matured to the point where they can pull it off even when they're not doing everything right.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 13:45   Link #1295
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Am I the only one who feels like the penalty was wrong? Not like I don't want Holland to win. I'm glad they won, but I wasn't OK with their performance this match against Mexico.

Sure, Holland's attacks were so intense. If it ended to penalties between them, Mexico would have a great chance to win.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:45   Link #1296
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I thought it was penalty on Robben in the recovery time, he may be a diver but the defender caught his foot. I also think that it was penalty on the first occasion as well, since he received two fouls in one action. As many have said, Mexico started going all defensive too soon, they arrived safe at minute 88 but you never know what's going to happen when you're under assault like that
I actually don't think the second was penalty. The ref go textbook on that call. But his mistake is because Robben was pushing the ball away from the goal toward Mexico defender. Even without him tripping, he will still not reach it in time

The second goal actually was less important, as Mexico by then already took out their attacking forces, and they are much less likely to score in 30 mins extra times. While penalty gonna be hit and miss. It was the firts goal that killed Mexico, as not only no one was near Sneijder, almost no one was standing in the central of the box as well.
Old 2014-06-29, 13:45   Link #1297
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
If all favourite win, semifinals will be Germany-Brazil and Argentina-Holland. But never, never rule out surprises.
I don't think Germany's a favourite over France right now. French speed on the counterattack via Benzema will present many problems for the German defense. And I think the weak link called Höwedes will get exposed massively in the knockout stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
It's worth noting that not always the prettiest teams win, but this kind of mentality is certainly the one that wins you tournaments. Netherlands' reaction is on that level right now.

Today it was not their best display, but sometimes a team needs a win like to show that they've matured to the point where they can pull it off even when they're not doing everything right.
While mentality is important I don't know whether this game was it. The Mexicans were terrible at keeping the ball in the last 15-20 minutes. They gifted the ball back to the Dutch numerous times by playing terrible passes. Against a team that takes better care of the ball the Dutch attack would have looked pretty bad. Long ball after long ball in the hope that their individual greats can get corners, penalties or free kicks out of it. This Dutch team is great at speedy counterattacks, but with Sneijder playing like crap their set-up is meek at best.
Old 2014-06-29, 14:04   Link #1298
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

The mexican defeat was because of the coach, make no mistake, the subs he did were absolutely terrible, as he can't get out of that 5-3-2 scheme to save his life, and by the time he decided it was a good idea to take out you best striker for a offensive midfielder to enter and then have him play as a defensive midfielder close to the defense, and when he decided to move Herrera from AMC to foward, well, it makes sense the team to fall apart like it did.
Also, the last move wasn't a penalty, Robben goes for the contact and then showcases his acting chops, but the ref call it for compensation for a missed play in the first half where Robben is indeed commited a penalty, something he was made aware on the HT.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 14:32   Link #1299
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
It took Sneijder almost 4 matches to show why he's in the basis. He may have saved our asses with the tie goal, I'm still not sure if Van Gaal should still use him from the start in the next match.

The reffing was so-so. Missed two penalties, should've booked some Mexican players when they kept calling for cards, but at the very least, the last penalty was seen and justly awarded, and he saw through some Mexican foils.

Not really a very interesting match, though. I'm starting to think the 5-3-2- formation is losing its effect, especially when switching to 4-3-3 suddenly had Mexico in disarray.

Oh well, we're in the quarters, that's what matters.
I do not hold any grudges against the Netherlands, because they played persistently until the end.

When it comes to discussions that the Dutch were just relying too much on Robben, or whether the penalties were called for or not, then I'm leaving those kinds of heated discussions to the rest, experienced users in this thread.

Mexico's fault were so glaring obvious right after scoring the first goal.

Like risingstar3110 said the equalizer goal was what truly killed Mexico due that everyone left Snejder alone so that he could shoot. Then, no one intercepted that shot when he was positioned at the central box of the goal area. The Mexicans stood still without doing anything to prevent it.

I felt in that particular scene that the Mexican team relied too much on Ochoa to save their hide, and let's face it the man is no saint to pull out a miracle everytime that Mexico makes a so obvious blunders.
The same goes of other players like Robben, Messi, Neymar, etc. It doesn't mean that their respective teams have to always rely on them so that they can score as much goals as possible.
For the next match would be better for Netherlands to even things out amongst their players and stop passing too much center shots at Robben, but still attacking at the same pace like they did in this match; steadily, persistently, progressively, and fiercely.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 14:42   Link #1300
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Also, the last move wasn't a penalty, Robben goes for the contact and then showcases his acting chops, but the ref call it for compensation for a missed play in the first half where Robben is indeed commited a penalty, something he was made aware on the HT.
It all adds up and it wouldn't surprise me if the ref had no desire to see the game go in to extra time given the heat.