AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-26, 12:19   Link #1021
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Given Naru's surprise at Mai calling him "Naru", I think the real question might be "How did Mai come up with the name that Madoka called him?" And the answer, of course, is her ESP. I think it was at that point that Naru realized that there might be something special about Mai.

She just thought he was a "ナルシシスト", so she made up the name on her own.
When she learned that other people call him that as well, then she thought other people must think he's a narcissist as well.

If thats ESP, its certainly a creative kind.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 15:29   Link #1022
LunaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Well, Mai at least was fortunate enough to have Naru bringing her tea and worrying about her condition.

Dunno, I found nice Naru with the cup of tea - hella creepy. XD
It doesn't fit him at all, lol. I think everyone was stunned when he showed up with the tea, even Masako didn't freak out in jealous fit.
LunaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 15:44   Link #1023
Jeddy

Man! The suspense in this anime is killing me. I feel like dying to know the next part...I'm also so stuck with it, anyway, I also watch epsiode 20 and cannot wait for the next part! *last shout* NaruXMai!
Jeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 16:00   Link #1024
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Given Naru's surprise at Mai calling him "Naru", I think the real question might be "How did Mai come up with the name that Madoka called him?" And the answer, of course, is her ESP. I think it was at that point that Naru realized that there might be something special about Mai.
Honestly I dont think Mai's power have anything to do with why she came up with Naru, basically we all know that he orginally called him that cuz of his over-confident attitude which she found to be very naraccist of him. Thus Naru-chan. Remember Mai's ESP were almost non existent back in the first arc. I think it was more of a coincidence on her part. But the fact that Naru did react to it is the validation that it does mean something but I dont think she figured it out with ESP.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 19:12   Link #1025
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
I think it was pretty clear that Mai came up with that nickname because of the word "narcissist" and her association of its context with Naru's personality. Her power isn't the kind (if there is such a kind) that would allow her to obtain such information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston View Post
Spoiler:
After reading your post, I think I'm onto something...

From all the evidence in addition to the observation of Naru's behaviour whenever Davis is mentioned, one could also speculate that
Spoiler for Warning! Naru's identity and name POSSIBLY deduced!:

Hmm, now onto why Naru wears black...and dream!Naru...and why he's in Japan...and was it Earl Grey or Jasmine Green Tea he brought to Mai ...so many more questions . Dang, I love this series. Trying to solve the Naru mystery is so fun!!!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 19:41   Link #1026
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Wow, ep 20 was really something. This has got to be the spookiest thing i have seen since Higurashi I especialy liked the moment when the lights went out and the spirit voices could be heard... nicely creepy indeed.

The obvious things about the ep aside, looks like Ghost Hunt might get a side plot, besides the mystery solving (or it could become the main plot for the last arc) - the truth about Naru.

Obviously, things like who he really is, why is Lin "looking over" Naru? Obviously, because Naru's parrents asked him...but why would they do that? And why should Naru accept it? (well, granted - Lin is a pretty competent assistant).

Also, the reference that Naru might have had a near-death experience... i wonder how that is going to be integrated in to the plot. Could be there is a reason why Naru is not very sociable.

That aside - Mai again jumped to conclusions way too quickly when it comes to Naru. About time she gives the man the credit he deserves. By the looks of it, Naru is starting to warm up to Mai (in his own, subtle way)... time for her to take notice and re-evaluate her outbursts.
I'm not sure you're giving Mai the credit she deserves. She's not entirely wrong. Channeling one of those spirits probably would be a horrible experience even for the more seasoned Masako and while Naru draws the line at killing people, he probably won't draw the line at sticking a willing Masako into a virtual reality horror movie.

As for why Naru accepts being monitored, well he is under-age. His parents could get in his way a lot more than they do, and they are the most likely source for the initial capitalisation of SPR. Allowing Lin to keep an eye on him is probably the deal he made in return for that and being otherwise given a free hand.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 19:49   Link #1027
LKK

Quote:
I'm not sure you're giving Mai the credit she deserves. She's not entirely wrong. Channeling one of those spirits probably would be a horrible experience even for the more seasoned Masako and while Naru draws the line at killing people, he probably won't draw the line at sticking a willing Masako into a virtual reality horror movie.
I agree with you, David. I think the fact that Naru changed his mind and asked Lin to perform the ritual rather than Masako is indication that Naru felt Mai had a valid point. If Naru felt that Mai was completely off-base, he wouldn't have changed his strategy. (Naru has a strong stubborn streak. )

Quote:
As for why Naru accepts being monitored, well he is under-age. His parents could get in his way a lot more than they do, and they are the most likely source for the initial capitalisation of SPR. Allowing Lin to keep an eye on him is probably the deal he made in return for that and being otherwise given a free hand.
Yeah, having Lin as his guardian / observer would be a small price for Naru to pay in order to be allowed to do what he does especially since Lin is an extremely useful guardian.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 20:33   Link #1028
honeysempai
Lins #1 fangirl / LinxMai

Send a message via AIM to honeysempai
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Yeah, having Lin as his guardian / observer would be a small price for Naru to pay in order to be allowed to do what he does especially since Lin is an extremely useful guardian.
and
Spoiler:

Wow Sage, you really put alot of thought, time, and research... Were there moments of brilliant deduction and times when you wanted to hit the screen?! :P Good job, I learned a few things here and there.

You must have alot of restraint if you are willing to wait until the series ends... *pats you on the back* Boy, are you in for a few surprises... ( I just want to tease you *insert evil giggling here* )

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Hmm, now onto why Naru wears black...and dream!Naru...and why he's in Japan...and was it Earl Grey or Jasmine Green Tea he brought to Mai ...so many more questions . Dang, I love this series. Trying to solve the Naru mystery is so fun!!!
Spoiler:

Last edited by honeysempai; 2007-02-26 at 20:47.
honeysempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 20:39   Link #1029
kiwi_666

Quote:
I think it was pretty clear that Mai came up with that nickname because of the word "narcissist" and her association of its context with Naru's personality. Her power isn't the kind (if there is such a kind) that would allow her to obtain such information.

After reading your post, I think I'm onto something...

From all the evidence in addition to the observation of Naru's behaviour whenever Davis is mentioned, one could also speculate that
Spoiler for Warning! Naru's identity and name POSSIBLY deduced!:

Nice spoiler, u know I have been thinking about it too.

Spoiler for reaction on preSage's spoiler:
kiwi_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 20:48   Link #1030
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Spoiler for stuff on Naru:
Spoiler for more on Naru:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 21:13   Link #1031
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_666 View Post
You may find it useful to read (or reread) my manga summary of episode 18 as there is information in the summary that wasn't mentioned in the anime.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=683

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2007-02-26, 21:13   Link #1032
miaka

Quote:
It's red tea (Kou-cha).

regarding Naru real name... if Shibuya isn't his real name... he won't be haunted by female ghost in after school curser arc. Remember, a name is needed to curse someone.
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 21:20   Link #1033
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka View Post
if Shibuya isn't his real name... he won't be haunted by female ghost in after school curser arc. Remember, a name is needed to curse someone.
No, a name is not needed for that type of curse to work. The curse will work using descriptions. The first curse doll said "curse the person who sits at this desk". Four girls were cursed that way. None of them were cursed by name. The second curse doll found in the gym changing room was a curse on the locker room to curse the track and field team as a whole. None of the track and field people were cursed by name. A name is not needed for that type of curse to work.

Old 2007-02-26, 22:05   Link #1034
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

@LKK: Ack! My willpower had been sorely tested by that PM you sent me. I was sooooo tempted to click on that single button...soooo tempted xP . I think I sat there looking at the darn thing for nearly ten minutes - with Shakespeare's "to [click] or not to [click]" repeating itself in my head . Damn, I feel like a thirsty person looking at a glass of water. But I didn't. Since the series has only about five more episodes to go at present, I decided to wait till the end - yes, I am quite insane. Once the final ending credit starts rolling...I'm going to click every button I see like mad - not like I really need to by then, hopefully. But thanks for sharing whatever it was you were sharing...eek, so tempted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysempai View Post
and
Spoiler:
With a big spatula .

Quote:
Wow Sage, you really put alot of thought, time, and research... Were there moments of brilliant deduction and times when you wanted to hit the screen?! :P Good job, I learned a few things here and there.
I've been thinking about it day and night practically (despite all the work I should be doing ) - and then when I saw David's post with all the evidences so clearly paralleled, the light bulb just turned on and away I went...in a rather nonlinear fashion . I love solving puzzles like these - hmm, should go into forensic - dead bodies ...uh...no.

Quote:
You must have alot of restraint if you are willing to wait until the series ends... *pats you on the back* Boy, are you in for a few surprises... ( I just want to tease you *insert evil giggling here* )
Rub it in...rub it in. My willpower is hanging my a thread...by a thread!

Quote:
Spoiler:
Then how did he choose his coloured PJs? Or did Lin buy that for him...hmm, another clue to the Naru-Lin-relationship mystery

You mean, two tablespoons of Jasmine and 1 cup of brandy...that'll calm you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_666 View Post
Nice spoiler, u know I have been thinking about it too.

Quoting LKK's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
You may find it useful to read (or reread) my manga summary of episode 18 as there is information in the summary that wasn't mentioned in the anime.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=683
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Spoiler for more on Naru:
It could be that
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka View Post
It's red tea (Kou-cha).

regarding Naru real name... if Shibuya isn't his real name... he won't be haunted by female ghost in after school curser arc. Remember, a name is needed to curse someone.
I refer to LKK's post . And the fact that that was the one spoiler I allowed myself to know before I really got into this mystery.

*looks up at corner of screen* soooo....tteeempppteeddd...!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 22:24   Link #1035
honeysempai

Quote:
With a big spatula .
oh... spatula.... oh lord, the image of red bottoms. XD XD Wouldn't a belt be more proper?

Quote:
I've been thinking about it day and night practically (despite all the work I should be doing ) - and then when I saw David's post with all the evidences so clearly paralleled, the light bulb just turned on and away I went...in a rather nonlinear fashion . I love solving puzzles like these - hmm, should go into forensic - dead bodies ...uh...no.
You could be like Greg or Hodges and just work in the lab.

Quote:
Rub it in...rub it in. My willpower is hanging my a thread...by a thread!
Should I nibble at that thread a lil bit more... *snip snip* I feel like Yunoki right now so.... lets just say when you read those spoilers...

Spoiler:

Quote:

Then how did he choose his coloured PJs? Or did Lin buy that for him...hmm, another clue to the Naru-Lin-relationship mystery

*looks up at corner of screen* soooo....tteeempppteeddd...!
Its obvious, Naru was wearing Lin's pjs. Werent they a bit big for him.....

click it. cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick iiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Old 2007-02-26, 23:27   Link #1036
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysempai View Post
Its obvious, Naru was wearing Lin's pjs. Werent they a bit big for him.....

click it. cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick iiiiiiiiiiiiit.
What's so surprising about Naru wearing Lin's pjs? I mean they're in THAT kind of relationship after all.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 23:59   Link #1037
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrinTuar
She just thought he was a "ナルシシスト", so she made up the name on her own.
When she learned that other people call him that as well, then she thought other people must think he's a narcissist as well.

If thats ESP, its certainly a creative kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun
Honestly I dont think Mai's power have anything to do with why she came up with Naru, basically we all know that he orginally called him that cuz of his over-confident attitude which she found to be very naraccist of him. Thus Naru-chan. Remember Mai's ESP were almost non existent back in the first arc. I think it was more of a coincidence on her part. But the fact that Naru did react to it is the validation that it does mean something but I dont think she figured it out with ESP.
I may be mistaken, but it is hard for me to believe that the term “Narcissist” is so well known and widely used by Japanese high school students that it is the first thing that came to her. Here in the USA the majority of high school students probably don’t even know what it means, and it would definitely not be the first thing that popped into someone’s mind to describe someone else. And, how do we know the state of her ESP. It was probably always operating, but before she was never in a situation where she really needed it so she never realized it. I don’t think that her ESP is getting stronger, I think that she is learning to use it and control it better. I think that “Naru” was originally thought up by someone who was much more familiar with the term and when Mai was trying to decide what to call Naru her ESP kicked in and she copied their thinking. Perhaps “Dream Naru” had already latched on to her and was responsible for her line of reasoning. If you could ask Naru, I bet that he would tell you that he doesn’t believe in coincidence.

It was at that point in the Anime that I first suspected that Mai had some type of psychic ability. When Naru hired her I was sure of it.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 00:05   Link #1038
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but it is hard for me to believe that the term “Narcissist” is so well known and widely used by Japanese high school students that it is the first thing that came to her.
Well, she is a high school student.

I was assuming she had just learned that word that week in English class or something, so it was on the top of her mind :P
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 01:25   Link #1039
0rphen21
^.^

so any speculation on the reason why the naru said they could not do an exorcism on the house except the obvious one "its dangerous as hell"
Old 2007-02-27, 01:51   Link #1040
honeysempai

Spoiler for where Naru goes on vacation.:

just because I can. (and because I can't go to sleep)

Tags
drama, supernatural