Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-02, 15:52   Link #221
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Obviously I did not know that WB had consumed a Devil Fruit or else I would not have asked, therefore I was assuming he had consumed two of them.
Okay...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:09   Link #222
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Sorry for the late reply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
they may have their own goals and plan on betraying the WG in the future, but until they do they are in fact aiding in the WG's power
I think most if not all have already betrayed the world government or are continuing to betray. We may not see all. WG may not notice them. But seeing that happening many times already say enough about them. They do not have to comply perfectly with the WG's requests. Yes, they can do jobs assigned to them, but the methods they use may at the end be costly for the WG. They may still do it by staying within the rules created for them, but the end result would be completely different than how it was supposed to be, if they were to work with the WG in a manner that you expected them to have.
Quote:
And oda does not consider them to be seperate to the world government; he has only said he considers them separate to the marines... Likewise, he also considers cp9, enies lobby, and impel down separate from the marines... but when it comes down to it, all are branches of the world government power
Oda considers them as the 3rd power, while WG and Yonkou are the other two. I think Oda meant WG with marines, if he used his words like that.
Old 2009-09-02, 20:57   Link #223
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
1. Ace is Luffy's (for all intents and purposes) brother.
2. Oars is not fast. He's slow, and clumsy. Luffy is quick, and highly acute in combat.
3. Luffy, while fighting, often talks or think to the audience in one way or another: for example: "Damn! My Gomu Gomu attacks aren't working". When something is TOO obviously stupid, he normally retreats or reconsiders his strategy.
4. The Magellan battle was a plotkai of sorts: Luffy's behaviour isn't normally that purely suicidal. Luffy's Haki needed to be brought a little closer to the surface, for lack of a better phrase.
5. I'll repeat that Ace is Luffy's brother.
1,5) Irrelevant... non of the strawhats are family, but Luffy would go JUST as far if it were them instead of Ace... whether or not Ace is family is irrelevant; it does not prevent Oar's Jr. from caring about Ace as much as he would a brother

3,4) Luffy's bahavior fit well with his character...

Think of what happened to him with Croc; In his first fight he attacked Croc fruitlessly and get beaten down hard... he did not retreat when his attacks did not work; he only stopped to think because he was FORCED to stop... His first fight against Croc, in which he was fighting for Vivi, went down pretty much JUST like his fight with Megallan, in which he fought for Ace... And it was also kinda like his first fight with Lucchi, when he was fighting for Robin (he got beaten down HARD before he thought to use the gears)... you could also argue Ao kiji, but Luffy might have fought knowing he'd loose (thus sacrificing himself), as Ao Kiji purposed (we were never certain)... Hell you could even speak of the world Nobles, he punched that guy for Hacchi's sake, even though he knew a man on Ao kiji's level was gonna show up... He does not hesitate when a loved one is at stake... Granted, we did see him retreat agianst Kizaru and his group... but Luffy needed to get beaten BADLY, before he realized he and his crew were doomed to keep fighting; and unlike THAT battle, retreat is not an option for Ace, so Luffy will see it as having no choice but to push forward like he did with Megallan

Aside from that, the only time we saw Luffy retreat because his attacks were not working was Against smoker... But unlike all those other battles, When Luffy was fighting Smoker he was fighting only for his own survival... no one needed saving except himself... and in that case, retreat is the best option

When it comes down to it, when one of his friends are at stake, Luffy acts far more reckless to the point that he will die fighting before he thinks to back down, retreat and rethink... that is unless its more than just him dying as we saw with Kizaru

Quote:
I'll have to ask for clarification on what you meant. Even assuming that you meant to type "Oz Jr. wasn't there for this own sake..." the sentences following truly have me stumped.
To put it simply, Oar's Jr was not there to gain sympathy for himself... he was there to show us how strong the Shichibukai are... Where the strawhats Struggled with Oar's, the Shichbukai finished him in 3 strikes (along with some heavy cannon fire)

Though in hindsight... the other reason, and possibly the main reason, for Oars jr's charge could have been to help illustrate that nearly EVERYONE trying to rescue Ace, is someone Ace knows and cares about
Ace is gonna end up watching a lot of his friends die this day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Sorry for the late reply...
I think most if not all have already betrayed the world government or are continuing to betray. We may not see all. WG may not notice them. But seeing that happening many times already say enough about them. They do not have to comply perfectly with the WG's requests. Yes, they can do jobs assigned to them, but the methods they use may at the end be costly for the WG. They may still do it by staying within the rules created for them, but the end result would be completely different than how it was supposed to be, if they were to work with the WG in a manner that you expected them to have.
Its all a matter of cost vs benefit... and until the shichibukai actually DO betray the world gov't, the cost is much lower than the benefit... PLANNING to betray the world gov't does not effect them at all... thus far, Boa is the only Shichbukai we have seen that have actually dealt the WG a serious blow... Croc almost did, but he was stopped before damage was done, Jimbei is ABOUT to deal them a serious blow, but the rest have yet to do any damage... Until they strike, those shichibukai are aiding the WG's power

fact is, even if they are not following the WG's orders they are still performing their function which is to destroy other pirates, and make them fear the WG
Quote:
Oda considers them as the 3rd power, while WG and Yonkou are the other two. I think Oda meant WG with marines, if he used his words like that.
no he considers the marines the 3rd power... he specifically mentioned them instead of saying the world gov't.
Closed Thread