AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 23:34   Link #441
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Well, as usual, I guess Mako will be the unpopular one in this team. The president has made a solid stance for her place in popular chart.

I'm itching to change the sig into Koromo one:

But Yuuki dreaming about Tacos is so hard to resist, so now it's freebie . Let help me spreading Saki around the world .
Old 2009-04-14, 23:40   Link #442
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Well, as usual, I guess Mako will be the unpopular one in this team. The president has made a solid stance for her place in popular chart.
No no, Mako is the meganekko in the show, and hence I like her. 83
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:50   Link #443
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Still, have to compete with Nodoka, Yuuki, Saki or the president, I'd say she's having a hard time trying to gain more popularity. Especially when the others school got introduced, she will be overwhelmed by them.

I still like her, and she's placed above Saki in my list just because of her speech pattern and her performance (no manga spoiler, please be patient ).

Not quite related, but I feel like most of the time, I don't have much interest in the main char of every show I watched. The only exceptions are countable by hand, and only Gundam 00 and Pandora Hearts pop in my head at the moment. Kinda strange, no?
Old 2009-04-14, 23:55   Link #444
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

They need to tone down Nodoka's bust a little. then she's a guaranteed winner with the white thigh highs.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 03:26   Link #445
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched 2 episodes just for the tryout....

Oooooookay. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that there was this whole Initial D vibe around this series, particularly the whole "I don't actually like XXXX even though I'm a genius at it" thing. And at least Initial D came with the far more accessible "gearhead" appeal to it. Use the same setup in this series with moe yuri girls and mahjong of all things though....?

....no. Sorry, not my thing. Dropped.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 03:53   Link #446
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
They need to tone down Nodoka's bust a little. then she's a guaranteed winner with the white thigh highs.
Currently I just hope they won't get any bigger. I have yet seen any anime that they "tone down" the bust size in one season (unless you count Gundam 00 as a whole, but there is a time skip also ), but there are many that got bust size increase in a mystery way. At least they're still in tolerable size. So please don't make them any bigger.

That's said, I mostly aim at the lolis so bust size doesn't bother me that much .
Old 2009-04-15, 04:34   Link #447
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Watched 2 episodes just for the tryout....

Oooooookay. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that there was this whole Initial D vibe around this series, particularly the whole "I don't actually like XXXX even though I'm a genius at it" thing. And at least Initial D came with the far more accessible "gearhead" appeal to it. Use the same setup in this series with moe yuri girls and mahjong of all things though....?

....no. Sorry, not my thing. Dropped.
Genius vs Luck both being vastly different, lol. Its alot closer to Hikari no Go then Initial D. Saki hate of Mahjong isn't a direct hatred as some people make it sounds but rather an emphasise on not winning this could be partly due to her wanting to see her family more (guessing).
At the end of episode 2 she won with a smile, its not something you would see someone wh hated mahjong would react. A not caring attitude is Takumi in initial I drive because I can, Saki enjoys playing Mahjong which is different.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 04:49   Link #448
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Genius vs Luck both being vastly different, lol. Its alot closer to Hikari no Go then Initial D. Saki hate of Mahjong isn't a direct hatred as some people make it sounds but rather an emphasise on not winning this could be partly due to her wanting to see her family more (guessing).
At the end of episode 2 she won with a smile, its not something you would see someone wh hated mahjong would react. A not caring attitude is Takumi in initial I drive because I can, Saki enjoys playing Mahjong which is different.
About the part "not winning", well, you're kinda wrong about that . Just consider it's a part of her habit when playing Mahjong since, hmm....I guess about 5 or 6 years old. The reason is she didn't want her New Year money got taken away by losing, but winning will anger her family member(s) (not sure about this, because she's kinda vague when she said that. I don't know she meant her sister, or her mom, or everyone).

And in Mahjong, even if you're a pro, you still have only 70% chance to win against other player. Luck will determine your remaining 30%. That doesn't mean one person could just win by luck alone. You need both skill and luck to assure the winning. In this case, I guess Saki has both, but she's not the only one.

But of course, people who doesn't care about moe, and have no idea about Mahjong will find this one boring. Not to mention a good amount of suspended belief is needed to enjoy this one.
Old 2009-04-15, 04:50   Link #449
FateAnomaly

She probably hated it back then cos she don't win at the game (albeit voluntarily). Nobody like to play a game they can't win, that will just be a waste of time.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 04:57   Link #450
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Like she said in ep 2, that's the first time she won by using a yakuman hand (that's hard, mind you), which she always had to break it when played with her family. Seeing her smile when she won, clearly she doesn't hate Mahjong, she just hate to play a game that she can't win.

I can dream about scoring plus/minus zero score. It's just too hard to win already.

Side note: I have a feeling I'm turning into C.A. of the Sora Kake thread . Oh well, Tacos Dreaming Yuuki is on her way to dominate the world.
Old 2009-04-15, 05:22   Link #451
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I swear that type of Yakuman just might be one of the highest scoring hands in the whole damn game. I wonder what they're going to do to as her opposition.

It's sorta like in Bamboo Blade where it seemed like Tamaki just can't lose, ever.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 05:55   Link #452
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I swear that type of Yakuman just might be one of the highest scoring hands in the whole damn game. I wonder what they're going to do to as her opposition.

It's sorta like in Bamboo Blade where it seemed like Tamaki just can't lose, ever.
Naw, that's not the highest. The highest is a double yakuman, which there are a couple ways to get:

1. Four big winds = four kongs or pungs of winds
2. Thirteen orphens where the final tile is the duplicate (13 orphens means one of every honor and terminal, plus 1 duplicate)
3. Nine Gates = 1112345678999 in one suit with the final tile being a duplicate
4. Four concealed pungs with the final tile being a unique wait (Saki didn't get the extra yakuman in ep 2 because her wait wasn't unique). Unique wait means there's only 1 tile that will finish the mahjong.

Any of these gives 2 yakuman, which if you are east, nets you 32,000 from each player for a total of 96,000 points. Of course, chances are very likely that all 3 of your opponents don't have more than 32,000 points each because you'd have to have less than 4,000 points and the other three players would have to be dead even, so a double yakuman as east pretty much ends any game immediately.

Technically there are even higher scoring hands. Since yakuman stack (I'm pretty sure), if you got one of the above on the initial 14 tiles you started with, that'd be an additional yakuman for blessing of heaven (mahjong as east on initial 14 tiles), would be a triple yakuman for like 48,000 points from each player. But it's really sort of academic since there aren't that many points in the game to begin with. You'd just win with, um... +90, I think (100,000 points).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 06:04   Link #453
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

In the manga they said that the game will stop when one reach below 0 score, but I thought that's only apply to the tournament. I always play on my computer, so I don't know, do people continue even one of the player's score is in negative number?
Old 2009-04-15, 06:10   Link #454
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
In the manga they said that the game will stop when one reach below 0 score, but I thought that's only apply to the tournament. I always play on my computer, so I don't know, do people continue even one of the player's score is in negative number?
I think most computer programs will stop. As for playing in a friendly game people probably would keep going till the end.

Anyway, if someone gets a yakuman it's pretty much impossible to catch up to that unless you're playing a full 4 wind game and it happened early (east, south, west, north rounds).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-15, 06:13   Link #455
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Up until now, I have played 3 games on my PC, and all of them can go below 0 score, so that's why I asked . Have never gotten a yakuman hand myself, though.
Old 2009-04-15, 06:26   Link #456
BrokenWingz

Just curious does anyone know a good program to learn/play mahjong ver. For net or solo play?

Can’t say I'm not addicted to mahjong now but saki has certainly change my perspective around. The only problem I have atm is remember the tiles with the kanji as I have trouble remembering which number they represent.

P.S while Im kinda stubborn on the matter, knowing the answer takes away the fun from discussion ^^,
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 07:14   Link #457
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

*cough* H-Game *cough*
Old 2009-04-15, 07:40   Link #458
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Just curious does anyone know a good program to learn/play mahjong ver. For net or solo play?
http://gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
Solo vs the CPU (The only catch here is the scores are calculated as the difference from 10k (1st),20k(2nd),40k(3rd),50k(4th) (with the additional +20 bonus for first).
So if you score 30k and come in 3rd, you get -10, if you come in second, you get +10.

Last edited by bayoab; 2009-04-15 at 07:50.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 07:54   Link #459
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
http://gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
Solo vs the CPU (The only catch here is the scores are calculated as the difference from 10k (1st),20k(2nd),30k(3rd),50k(4th) (with the additional +20 bonus for first).
So if you score 30k and come in 3rd, you get +/-0, if you come in second, you get +10.
Yeah, that was mentioned in episode one... "proportional bonus". There are two ways to deal with the final score... one is you take the 20,000 points in the pot at the beginning of the game and give it all to the winner. The other way there's additional points awarded to the winner and player in second from players in third and forth. It's a way of punishing the losers but making it slightly less painful to come in second... Better for gambling than for tournament play.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-15, 08:08   Link #460
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Saki's Yakuman is one of the easiest to get, Some of the Yaku's are damn impossible like nine gates and 4 kans, those are the only Yaku I never made in real life. With the way the things are going in the manga 4 kans should appear soon...

As to game stop after 0 points, in real life mahjong you normally allow negatives to carry on. some tournament rules may differ.
Darco_emp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen