AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-05-08, 17:57   Link #121
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Not consistently.

Surely that goes for anything...
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 18:00   Link #122
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Again, fade tags can be used well and not so well. Your definition of "worse" looks a little on the opaque side to me.
Always remember to use \2a&HFF& (k colors off) or anything non-00 when doing \fad or \fade (it will otherwise tint the border colors to the main colors; note: most typesetters i've seen never did this, hence producing incorrect fades). It's one of the vsfilter bugs. As for fading with shadows, compose a custom shadow font for the best result, or else, \t the shadow colors to reduce tinting.

---

Here's one advise: don't make a group unless you can translate and to some degree, edit/QC, OR you know all the basic fansubbing skills like timing, encoding, typesetting, karaoke, and perhaps raw providing/capping. For me, I'm in the second category.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 04:53   Link #123
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

Quote:
Actually, it's when you manipulate alpha codes to make one part of a sub appear before another part. It's frequently called "Lunar timing" because there's a mistaken belief that Lunar invented it
thats not really why... its just because lunar does it like mad. there was a time when they only did it once or twice per ep and that worked pretty well. then they stopped doing it for a while until some guy asked about it on the forum and after that they went kinda crazy about it

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 06:44   Link #124
pichu
*Fansubber

Oh, you know - \alpha&HFF& is supposed to be the same as \1a&HFF&... not the overall alpha channels, which is a bug in vsfilter. (i.e., it would be different if you're using another library - not wise to use in softsubs) I would personally prefer \frx90 or \fry90 to hide the text, which both basically does the same.

Last edited by pichu; 2007-05-09 at 07:22.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 13:45   Link #125
bobber205

I am talking with Ayu subs and I am hope I will be able to join them maybe this weekend.

They're having me time an episode. It's not been too bad so far. I am a OS X user and I have been using Miyu. What do you guys recommend?

I'm building a PC rig this summer but if there's an excellent cheap or free app for OS X, that would be swell.
bobber205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 16:43   Link #126
jfs
Aegisub dev

We are working on making Aegisub usable on OS X, but it's still not quite there. (Lots of interface glitches and audio playback is still not really stable. Video support is also somewhat lacking.)
A working and usable OS X version of Aegisub is one of the main goals for version 2.00, and we hope to reach that in a few months (But we really need some dedicated and competent developers to help out with adding workiness to non-Windows platforms! </plug>)

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 17:17   Link #127
martino
makes no files now

Doesn't Sabbu work fairly well as a timing program for the Mac OS platform? (For now anyway, until Aegisub will be successfully ported.)
Old 2007-05-19, 12:43   Link #128
bobber205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
We are working on making Aegisub usable on OS X, but it's still not quite there. (Lots of interface glitches and audio playback is still not really stable. Video support is also somewhat lacking.)
A working and usable OS X version of Aegisub is one of the main goals for version 2.00, and we hope to reach that in a few months (But we really need some dedicated and competent developers to help out with adding workiness to non-Windows platforms! </plug>)
I would be more than happy to do any testing you might need done.
bobber205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 10:50   Link #129
beast

hay guys! =)

I'm fairly new to fansubbing and intend to participate in a new fansub project. So here a couple of questions:

1. Which timing/subtitling programs do most fansub groups nowadays use?
2. And which is the easiest one to use if we want to go for a minimalistic approach, i.e. no fancy karaoke or font effects?
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 10:59   Link #130
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Sabbu and Aegisub are both pretty popular timing programs. For typesetting, Aegisub and/or a text editor. I'd Sabbu and Aegisub are about even in the ease-of-use department.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 11:03   Link #131
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast View Post
intend to participate in a new fansub project.

A word of warning from watching a lot of the posts in these forums: make sure you have a translator first above anything else. No translator = no group. A number of new groups are starting up without a translator, and they're very difficult to find, so the group goes into stasis for an indefinite amount of time.

If you have one already though, great!
Old 2007-05-21, 11:19   Link #132
beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Sabbu and Aegisub are both pretty popular timing programs. For typesetting, Aegisub and/or a text editor. I'd Sabbu and Aegisub are about even in the ease-of-use department.
Thanks, I'll get both and see which is more to my liking!

Quote:
A word of warning from watching a lot of the posts in these forums: make sure you have a translator first above anything else. No translator = no group. A number of new groups are starting up without a translator, and they're very difficult to find, so the group goes into stasis for an indefinite amount of time.

If you have one already though, great!
Thanks for the advice! Fortunately for us, this project will merely involve the ripping of video, audio and subtitles (of yet unknown quality) and proof-reading, editing and timing of said subtitles.
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 12:00   Link #133
D404
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Fortunately for us, this project will merely involve the ripping of video, audio and subtitles (of yet unknown quality) and proof-reading, editing and timing of said subtitles.
That isn't fansubbing. >_>

Sounds like DVD-Ripping to me.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 12:22   Link #134
jfs
Aegisub dev

It might just as well being taking old VHS fansub and re-doing with a newer, better quality source, or something to that effect. (Or perhaps non-English subs based on English subs.)
Old 2007-05-21, 14:58   Link #135
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
Don't some Chinese/HK DVD bootlegs come with English subs as well? Even though the series is actually unlicenced in the North America and Europe.

And yea, updating old VHS-fansubs to the digital age is nice. Some older series quite simply deserve it, and with some OCR...

One could still question whether it qualifies as fansubbing, or simply as re-encoding/revamping the work of fansubbers, but at least it'd make it something that is discussable on here. ^_^

GL beast.
Crovax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 09:27   Link #136
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
Don't some Chinese/HK DVD bootlegs come with English subs as well? Even though the series is actually unlicenced in the North America and Europe.
They do... I have a couple of bootleg sets of unlicensed and unfansubbed anime in my possession. However, there's just no way for someone who doesn't speak Japanese to bridge that gap... sometimes the English is just a million miles removed from the real meaning of the line. It would be possible for a group with a real translator to do such a job, but then why bother, if you've got a real translator
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 14:33   Link #137
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

I've been told that some Japanese R2 DVDs have English subs on them too, though apparently they're so Engrish that you're probably better off getting a translator instead.
Old 2007-05-22, 14:55   Link #138
jfs
Aegisub dev

Yes, most Japanese DVD releases of Ghibli movies have English subtitles. For the most they're quite good, but some are horrible. (For example, the English subtitles on Tonari no Totoro R2J are based on a transcription of the old Fox dub, which means it's totally wrong on some scenes and entirely missing subs on some other.)
The Saikano DVD's (both TV and OVA) also have English subtitles, of somewhat more questionable quality but still very watchable.
The limited edition of the FMA Movie DVD also had English subs. I don't know about the quality of those subs.
(But this thread is being rather sidetracked now, sorry )

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
Old 2007-05-22, 16:19   Link #139
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
hay guys! =)

I'm fairly new to fansubbing and intend to participate in a new fansub project. So here a couple of questions:

1. Which timing/subtitling programs do most fansub groups nowadays use?
2. And which is the easiest one to use if we want to go for a minimalistic approach, i.e. no fancy karaoke or font effects?
Back when I use to subtitle I used Subtitle Workshop. Simple controls and easy layout. Don't be afraid either of tweaking with the 1000's of a second as thats where most of tweaking was done to really hit the sweet spot. Once you get your routine down it'll become easier and faster. No sound wave visualization but I never liked that anyways really with some other programs, I just needed to see the video. Average time would vary on amount of lines given to me which ranged anywhere from like 240-800 for each episode. 800's were rare though and happened mostly in Godannar because that annoying main character talked at 100 mph. Wish I still had the .srt's of all the old shit I did, but it was growing to large and taking up dust so they were deleted. Haven't fansubbed in like 4 years so I dunno whats out nowadays but this program is just fine.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 01:57   Link #140
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu View Post
Back when I use to subtitle I used Subtitle Workshop. Simple controls and easy layout. Don't be afraid either of tweaking with the 1000's of a second as thats where most of tweaking was done to really hit the sweet spot.
PROTIP: Clearly SSA/ASS timing can't go further then centiseconds. Thats every 1/100 of a second. And when you apply that subtitle to a video its not even fully centisecond based then because typically your average show is 23.976fps so thats a new frame every 41.7ms or 0.04 seconds. You can't time more accurately then the video you are dealing with. Well you can but it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. There is no millisecond timing sorry to say :P, never has been (wouldn't make a difference even for SRT).
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote