Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-20, 21:28   Link #1501
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Or...one could just accept that Mirai came back to life, not as a demon but as a human. She is the "light" to Aki's "dark". He said it himself.

Why not accept a happy ending for what it is? It'll bring them more money and open up for more sequels.
Probably because this particular happy ending felt forced as hell.

"She died!"
Just kidding, she's actually still alive.
"She died again!"
...Nah, just kidding. Look at her popping out of thin air.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 22:02   Link #1502
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post

"She died!"
"She died again!"
It's not forced it's completely unexplained.

Plot says she took BtB into herself.
Plot says she no longer exists in "reality".
Plot says if it dies, she dies.
It dies.
She comes back.
No explanation why.
Show ends.

Is she real? Figment of his imagination? Did he recreate her somehow? No one else seems to know wth is going on, so they're no help. His "mom" says "oh, they're special" but she never says why.

I'm irritated about Izumi's fate too. She was relieved of her duty? Why? Her plan was approved by the family! What did her siblings do besides scold her? They had no idea what was going on. And her plan probably would have worked if it weren't for a madman whose motivations are barely explained and his role in the Society is brushed aside by "oh he's just a rogue element".

The whole structure of the factions is woefully unexplained. And of course, despite a supposedly big revelation that she harbors a youma too, she vanishes, nothing is explained, and the siblings go back to sitting in the clubroom. Mom too is gone, so really what was this whole series about?

Getting Aki and Mirai together. Which was obvious from the first episode, the relationship was poorly mashed together, and something something fate red string blah blah.

Face it, whatever potential this had was squandered by a shitty script and poor directing. There is nothing redeeming about this anime and it's best left forgotten.

I can sum up this anime in one short video:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-12-20, 22:03   Link #1503
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Finally caught up....it was okay. But not very impressive though:

Pros:

GO HIROOMI!

YAY! Ayaka and Ai were okay!

the romantic interaction with Akky and Mirai was nice....and Mirai fading off was a nice touch. Or would've been....except...

Con:

OH LOOK THERE SHE IS. SHES OKAY! Making her awesome sacrifice basically be moot. I read Kubo Tite if I want trolling, I don't want that shit in my series!

So.....did Izumi die?!

And what exactly was Miroku doing....did he just did all of this for shits and giggles?

Overall: Great first half but after the idol episode, it kind of just went over the place. I still liked it a lot, so I"ll give this a 6.5, but...not a favorite? Nope.

Also....WHAT THE HELL IS YAYOI?
Old 2013-12-20, 22:14   Link #1504
Anime Online

It's all because of Magic Blood. It can be used to attack youmu. It can even block bullets! Wonderful! It can create a consciousness of yourself and allow you to communicate with someone still in a coma. That's really amazing, isn't it? But that's not all it can do! It can even resurrect you. Yes, and it will even re-create your clothes as well. However, Magic Blood is not able to re-create glasses, so make sure someone is around to hand you a new pair.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 22:53   Link #1505
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
It's all because of Magic Blood. It can be used to attack youmu. It can even block bullets! Wonderful! It can create a consciousness of yourself and allow you to communicate with someone still in a coma. That's really amazing, isn't it? But that's not all it can do! It can even resurrect you. Yes, and it will even re-create your clothes as well. However, Magic Blood is not able to re-create glasses, so make sure someone is around to hand you a new pair.
Maybe that's why the Mirai clan was killed. They were harvested for their magical blood!
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 02:14   Link #1506
HandofFate

I didn't mind the ending much, wish they attempted to at least ATTEMPT an explanation why Murai came back, like she's a familar now or something.

Though, damn Izumi is coldblooded.

She didn't know Aki's mom came as a puppet form given her surprise, so she just stabbed her all coldblooded for real.
Old 2013-12-21, 04:57   Link #1507
klare

a happy ending, with a lot of questions...

overall is a fine series, the ED song is nice
Old 2013-12-21, 05:36   Link #1508
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Real Mirai puts down her glasses before she stabs youmu Akihito and got absorbed by the KnK. The one fighting in the KnK is just a shell of her that wears dark rim glasses and only exist in the KnK(real Mirai wears red). When she was revived, Akihito just returned her dropped red glasses.

I'm not sure if is her cursed blood that revived her or it's Akihito's new found control of his youmu power or something of both.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 06:33   Link #1509
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

"She died!"
"She died again!"
To be fair, the first time they went with "Just kidding, she's actually still alive", I felt that there was a decent implied explanation. She was locked in continuous combat with BtB, which makes some sense given how she absorbed it into her blood. If Akihito helps her defeat BtB, maybe she can come back alive and well!

I'm willing to roll with that. And there's your happy ending, with plenty of opportunity for "dem feels!" in a touching reunion between Akihito and Mirai.

This is why it seems so pointless to me to kill Mirai again, just to bring her back again, and this second time it is (as Solace points out) completely without explanation (implied or otherwise). If anime was a pro sport, I'd call this an "unforced error". With most deus ex machina, at least they're forced by the writer having no other way to resolve the plot (in the protagonists favor). But this deus ex machina is completely unnecessary.
Old 2013-12-21, 06:57   Link #1510
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

I know, I'm "fine" with Mirai being back the first time (as much as I hate respawns ). The second one, however, only happened because they wanted to close the series with a happy end. No explanation was given, hence why I call it a forced happy end.
Old 2013-12-21, 07:29   Link #1511
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I know, I'm "fine" with Mirai being back the first time (as much as I hate respawns ). The second one, however, only happened because they wanted to close the series with a happy end. No explanation was given, hence why I call it a forced happy end.
If she's alive and kicking in the LN and they want to do more KnK, then she has to live in the anime. So she got brought back to life.
Old 2013-12-21, 08:04   Link #1512
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
If she's alive and kicking in the LN and they want to do more KnK, then she has to live in the anime. So she got brought back to life.
Yes, thank you captain obvious.
I'd still prefer an explanation given within the episode's timeframe so the ending could've been more satisfying instead of a last minute asspull for the sake of future sales.
Old 2013-12-21, 08:32   Link #1513
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Plot says she took BtB into herself.
Plot says she no longer exists in "reality".
Plot says if it dies, she dies.
It dies.
She comes back.
No explanation why.
Show ends.
I'm about to watch it again just for the Mirais, the moes and episode 6. And maybe to see if in one sitting there is slightly more coherence.

But, if i understood correctly, KnK (or BtB) is alive. It was "reabsorbed" by Akihito. Soooo, since KnK is alive, Mirai is alive. Maybe the Mirai that shattered was the part that lived in KnK, the real one was "reformed" from somewhere.

Somewhere that could be explained in season 2? Just for more Mirai.
Old 2013-12-21, 08:48   Link #1514
zztop

Has anyone read the source LN for Beyond the Boundary?

How does the writing compare to the anime, and what direction is the plot currently taking?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 12:49   Link #1515
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
I'm about to watch it again just for the Mirais, the moes and episode 6. And maybe to see if in one sitting there is slightly more coherence.

But, if i understood correctly, KnK (or BtB) is alive. It was "reabsorbed" by Akihito. Soooo, since KnK is alive, Mirai is alive. Maybe the Mirai that shattered was the part that lived in KnK, the real one was "reformed" from somewhere.

Plus, Mira's abilities were never fully explained. For all we know, she could also have a regeneration ability or gained one from being associated with KnK.
Old 2013-12-21, 14:40   Link #1516
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Plus, Mira's abilities were never fully explained. For all we know, she could also have a regeneration ability or gained one from being associated with KnK.
So because it hasn't been explained, it's okay?

I'm pretty sure that is not good storytelling.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 15:08   Link #1517
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
So because it hasn't been explained, it's okay?

I'm pretty sure that is not good storytelling.
Well....that's what the LN, additional seasons, 13th episode are potentially for. You can't expect everything to be wrapped up in neat bows nowadays. If you view anime as an ad for the LN, manga, audio CDs etc., then you might be able to accept this ending.
Old 2013-12-22, 00:12   Link #1518
Mjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post

I think this is the best explanation of how Mirai was able to return.

I think The Doctor also explained this best when talking about time / time travel I also use this to understand the magic of KnK. "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." -The Doctor
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 00:55   Link #1519
justsomeguy

Oh god, it's one of those endings, where the "dead" return after ten minutes, and the other problems get solved neatly.
And besides that, there were things like:
* Mitsuki not being plot relevant
* characters other than the main pair being so vaguely or flatly characterized that they're boring
* Mirai's fluctuating competency. She's completely awful in the beginning, with the bucket thing and not being able to take out the thing in her apartment. Later on, she's hax.
* the dreamshades as presented are not particularly threatening. Or is it that the hunters are too competent? It's hard to sell the shades as a threat when they get cut down by the hundreds without leaving a scratch. The thing in Mirai's apartment was the only thing that put up an interesting fight.
* the name of the title creature being repeated so much that it's annoying. KnK this, KnK that, multiple times in the same conversation.

7/10: mildly interesting, but the show never gave me an urge to watch it. When it comes to relationships and supernatural stuff Tokyo Ravens, Strike the Blood, and Monogatari all ended up being more interesting.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 23:31   Link #1520
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Too many loose ends, too many to count, and on top of all that we got somebody who came to life, TWICE.

I have a feeling they made this knowing that people will still watch it just because they're kyoani.

and we have that annoying brain-addled girl with the eyepatch next season. ugh.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood magic, demons, seinen, supernatural, tragic past