AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-19, 00:56   Link #41
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaarg View Post
I'm non-religious myself, I wouldn't consider myself an atheist though, as I don't believe nor disbelieve as to whether God or gods exist or not. I am more neutral on the subject and realize the possibilities that can go either way.
I concur. That's how I see things too.
------------------------

I was Christian until about 6 or so months ago when I just lost the complete purpose of it and felt like it was just another way to control someone, but I came to the conclusion that no one really knows or not if there is anything. And the way I see it, you can't prove or disprove it, so I'm (according to Wikipedia) an Agnostic Theist...or would that be an Apathetic Agnostic?
This is why I just call myself an agnostic and leave it at that.
Old 2007-08-19, 01:14   Link #42
Luminisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaarg View Post
I'm non-religious myself, I wouldn't consider myself an atheist though, as I don't believe nor disbelieve as to whether God or gods exist or not. I am more neutral on the subject and realize the possibilities that can go either way.
This would be a very vague definition of agnostic.

Luminisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 01:19   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mostly I find there's simply no evidence for a sky-god (or any other god) especially after 50 years of some extensive study of a variety of religions and philosophical study, so I'm probably closer to the Richard Dawkins viewpoint (ref: The God Delusion). Existentialism aside (everything I know being filtered through terrible sensory input and mapped onto suspicious world models in my head), the scientific Method is still the cleanest way to deal with Reality.

On the other hand, I find that animism/pantheism (or more specifically, Shinto) is a colorful metaphor for the world -- I always feel more connected after visiting a shrine so I'm probably getting rewarded by the hypothalmus or some related brain structure.
Practically speaking for myself, Zen Buddhism at its sparest is a useful philosophy to intrepret and get through life with. The more doctrine or "crap" you layer on the direct 'mystical' experience, the less likely people are to encounter it.
So ... basically I'm an atheist who finds the non-oppressive components of certain beliefs useful and comforting. I'd certainly hate it if the shrines and temples in Japan and other locales went abandoned.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-19 at 01:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 01:21   Link #44
Tran225

im a Buddhist though i do sorta believe in christianity because if i dont my friend said ill go to hell so i might as well just to be safe
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 01:28   Link #45
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
I wouldn't label myself as anything though If I had to it would be agnostic.

I used to be a Mormon but church puts me to sleep lol.
Jechtsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 01:32   Link #46
Blaarg
^^;

Send a message via MSN to Blaarg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminisk View Post
This would be a very vague definition of agnostic.
Yea, I didn't actually know if there was a word for it or not. Now that I know, I would consider myself agnostic.
Blaarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 02:01   Link #47
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
im a Buddhist though i do sorta believe in christianity because if i dont my friend said ill go to hell so i might as well just to be safe
You can't be half-Christian. Either you are or either you're not. At least in the eyes of most Christian authorities (which are comprised mostly of zealous bigotry).

And your friend can't determine a thing about your future, nor can any religious person. What happens after you die is up to your own belief, and there's the gist of it. No religion has actually the true answer. If you say that you're not going to hell even if you're not a Christian, it holds as much value as your friend's words. You may even believe hell is actually a pretty place and Satan a nice guy, and it would still hold the same value as any other religious statement.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 02:29   Link #48
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Um, I don't know how I'm going to put this, but as for my religion, well, here's a quote from Stephen Hawking that sums it up quite nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hawking, A brief history of time
Either God started the big bang, or he created the universe in such a way that it made it seem as though there was a big bang.
If there's a specific word/term/school of thought that captures the essence of this quote, I have yet to come across it. However, if you do know something of that sort do enlighten me kkex ^^"
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 02:50   Link #49
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaa View Post
wow looks like I'm the first Muslim
Me too

Praying 5 times a day and fasting during Ramadhan...
But i'm far away from those "extreme" muslims in Afghan/Iraq, Islam's a peaceful religion and i think they're kinda wrong...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 03:02   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You can find asshats in any belief system as well as good people.

I have a pet theory (poorly validated) that younger religions tend to have more severe extremism at the fringe because they're just insecure about being newer. (look at Christianity and Judaism in their younger expansionist days) ... but some people have used religion to justify horrible violence as far back as you want to go. Defanging and cloistering the wingnuts is tough when moderate people are.. well... moderate.
Old 2007-08-19, 03:27   Link #51
Thingle
Banned

We're waiting for the first Jew to represent...
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 03:56   Link #52
Jaden

I'm not in any religion, they're a pain to practice and are mostly nonsense. I believe in a deity, but her worshippers would be considered more of a cult.
Old 2007-08-19, 04:05   Link #53
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I tend to dislike religion in general, because a lot of the times it is just another barrier that tends to cause cracks between people. I am perfectly fine with people who believe in god or any other form of deities, just so long as they are not trying to force their views on others or use their religion as a base of justification for their acts. (Can anyone say crusades ?). Yep, i have a problem with extremes

As such, i am an atheist through and through. I do not believe in supernatural and prefer a rational and scientific approach to things. That said, i think people can believe in anything they want to, as long as it is not having a negative influence on anything else
Old 2007-08-19, 04:08   Link #54
Sides

Tao here. Some say it is a religion, it was on an application form that i had to fill out once, and some don't.

So what is left? Hindu, sikh, tribal religions, jedi
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 04:19   Link #55
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Me too

Praying 5 times a day and fasting during Ramadhan...
But i'm far away from those "extreme" muslims in Afghan/Iraq, Islam's a peaceful religion and i think they're kinda wrong...
Third.

Greets from Malaysia.

Agreed with Vexx. In every religion, there's bound to be some bastards that are so vocal in their action, its revolting.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 04:54   Link #56
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I'm an atheist... although I've been raised in a moderate catholic family.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 05:46   Link #57
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

All right Sides, the Hindu is here. Yeah i'm Hindu but just want to put this forth. What are you if you occasionally doubt your religion but in the end you stick by it for ( i don't know why).

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 06:19   Link #58
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ It would make you merely human. It is nothing to be ashamed or puzzled about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate
Quote:
Either God started the big bang, or he created the universe in such a way that it made it seem as though there was a big bang.
If there's a specific word/term/school of thought that captures the essence of this quote, I have yet to come across it. However, if you do know something of that sort do enlighten me kkex ^^"
First of all, I don't think labels are necessary nor helpful. But judging from the quote alone, it would vaguely imply Theism of some sort -- a need for an intelligent creator if nothing else.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 06:21   Link #59
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
Wow that is almost exactly what happen to my friend.
Oh I see, where are you from?
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 06:42   Link #60
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Seems like there is a high ratio of Atheists/Agnostics. I wonder if this is a high concentration these days in most areas? Not to be direct, I find a lot of Atheists within our group - anime otaku.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion