AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-21, 00:52   Link #5141
whitecloud

Hahaha...if pravda ever used that....it will be some trap in urban setting...and most definitely a match for maus in size..and cannon number and strength?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:02   Link #5142
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
BTW, There are Soviet Super Heavy Tanks in the war but ineffect, slow and easy target for German aircraft

Spoiler for KV-VI:
To reiterate what has been said already about that monstrosity, it's a design made by a modeler, not a real WW2 design.

And no, the Soviet Union did not have any Super Heavy Tanks used or built during the war. The only tank they built that could rival the Maus in effective armor and firepower was the Object 260 aka IS-7, and that was completed in 1948.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:07   Link #5143
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

I don't think KV-VI is still match for Maus since it is too long and it's gun only 2 152mm is worth. The Maus can flank that KV.

I refer E-100 since it is balance between firepower, weight and speed. But if Oorai has Ratte and make it is a flag tank. It will be fun ).
Spoiler for Ratte und Maus:

Or the Land Battleship =))
Spoiler for :
Old 2013-03-21, 03:10   Link #5144
Gravitas Free Zone

If this "picture of giant tanks" thing keeps escalating I'll have to skip past Hammer's Slammers' tanks and reach for a Bolo Mark XXXIII.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:49   Link #5145
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
On repeated hits to the same spot: You might be able to do it with an Abrams, a Leopard 2 or a Type-10, but it wouldn't be easy, even with that super accurate gun, gyro-stabilisation, and laser rangefinder. Though I'd think the silver bullet sabot shells they're carrying would be able to hurt the Maus.
More like anything they carry short of coax would be enough to kill it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And no, the Soviet Union did not have any Super Heavy Tanks used or built during the war. The only tank they built that could rival the Maus in effective armor and firepower was the Object 260 aka IS-7, and that was completed in 1948.
IS-7 is actually not that terrible a super-heavy design, relatively speaking...

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2013-03-21 at 04:07.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:54   Link #5146
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Oorai usually has rare tank and prototype. I want Oorai has E-100 and this "pregnant" tank too, lolz.

Spoiler for VK7201:
Old 2013-03-21, 04:06   Link #5147
Marina2

Quote:
Oorai usually has rare tank and prototype. I want Oorai has E-100 and this "pregnant" tank too, lolz.

Spoiler for VK7201:
Oh, about that. If all 8 tanks Ooarai currently has here are just the leftovers, I really want to see how is Ooarai's full tank company look like in its day of glory.
Old 2013-03-21, 04:29   Link #5148
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

I think when Oorai in the days of glory, it is more like a tank collector than other school like Black Forest.
Old 2013-03-21, 04:53   Link #5149
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

(Random rant on things we can't know about Ooarai's past)

Unless Black Forest was formed when Oorai stopped doing senshado. Oorai's school logo is very Balkenkreuz-like to Black Forest's Iron Cross.

Oorai could have been the old "German" school and these remaining tanks were either all that survived, or maybe they were the "opposition" tanks in training drills.

Or they held on for a year after everyone left and all they had left was eight tanks (numbered as such). Though why they were left in such unusual places is weird (though who wouldn't want to stick a Type 89 into a cave on the side of a mountain to forget about it existing?)

There is a lot of backstory here that just isn't presented.

We know they had four German tanks and then four non-German tanks (two Japanese, one French, and one American). Of these, perhaps the Type 3 was impressive, but the others are not so much. The Tiger (P) needs a lot of babying. The StuG III is probably their best armor in terms of ability without problems. The Panzer IV is a good tank, but they found it as a "D" with the short barrel. Yet someone left behind a long barrel from something German.

The Char B1 bis and the M3 Lee aren't that great, but verse a Panzer IV and a Stug III with a Panzer 38(t) is could be interesting, with the Tiger (P) as the tempermental heavy hitter. The Type 89 could probably face the Panzer 38(t) in drills while the Type and M3 Lee worked on tanking out the heavier tanks. The Char B1 would be their blocker (as they use it for against Anzio, Pravda, and Black Forest in modern times).

If Oorai use to be the hot senshado team 20 or so years ago...what happened? They sold their good tanks to keep the school funded. But why quite the sport if it was successful?

Likely it waned and they cut their loses (or they lost big time or something). I still have the theory that it connects with Shiho's days in high school. Either she use to go to Oorai or it was her style and skill that finally crushed Oorai back in the day.

But if these tanks are the dregs....what did Oorai have back then?
Old 2013-03-21, 07:00   Link #5150
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

May be accident happen cause some deaths and they were banned from Senshado in amount of time (maybe 20 years ban), and they sold tanks one by one to survive 20 year long until the year when Miho transfer to Oorai, their ban is lifted and allowed to join Senshado again. It's impressive when they survive just by sold tanks in 20 years, it's mean their tanks must in large number or very rare ones. But they at limit too, they need to regain their glory to find sponsor or they must be closed forever.

IMO, if Oorai was not banned, and if they just want to stop join senshado, they have no reason to sold tanks for 20 long years survive, just sold all of them, closed the school 20 years ago and use money for other things.

BTW, I found Polyushka Polye with lyrics and translate, the song in ep 10

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2013-03-21 at 07:36.
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 08:03   Link #5151
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Does anyone have the various school logos saved somewhere online ?
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 08:11   Link #5152
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Ah, Origa. I thought her voice sounded familiar. She was the one hired to sing the GitS SAC OP by Yoko Kanno.
Old 2013-03-21, 08:44   Link #5153
arkhangelsk

People, instead of thinking of dark pasts, can't the reason be much simpler that they started off strong, but eventually as we approach the modern era people's attitudes changed and a old fashioned elective taught in an conservative manner simply failed to attract enough people.

We might surmise that other schools like Saunders, Pravda (they sure look like they are having fun) and so on managed to loosen themselves up enough to attract enough of a core crew to keep going. And KMM was always Senshado Central - if they go down Senshado will die off in Japan. But Oarai didn't manage to make this transition.

If you don't have enough volunteers, you don't have enough crews to run the tanks, and so Oarai lost what competitive edge it had. Eventually, 20 years ago, they decided to just save the money and sell off what tanks they could.

It might also explain why Student Council let out what would look like an excessive amount of rope at first, to the point of joining in themselves. Pink tanks, Banner tanks, and Gold Tanks. They are learning from the mistakes of the past.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 09:13   Link #5154
Gravitas Free Zone

Ooarai fading out: Other factors could also have contributed to the school's decline (size, demographics, etc.). Losing the senshado program might just have been one more important factor in it all... last night, while reading the new, improved, and ridiculously-long TVTropes entry on GuP, it was pointed out that the school's other club buildings are in terrible shape, and the volleyball club's disbandment also suggests dwindling general attendance. So hopefully more people enroll after their appearance and/or win in the nationals...

School insignias: There are some good versions on Pixiv.

And now for a crossover that I wasn't expecting:

GuP and Yuru Yuri. Evidently the image is fairly old... and annoying to attempt to source.
Old 2013-03-21, 09:17   Link #5155
arkhangelsk

I read the ever expanding TVTropes page on GuP too. They have some interesting thoughts on what Hippo Team was trying to do that might be soothing to those who were complaining about their rapid and inglorious demise.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 09:32   Link #5156
Sumeragi
Banned

Images
Why their aim was bad
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 10:28   Link #5157
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

As much as I like Origa, here's a superior version:

YouTube

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 14:37   Link #5158
Gravitas Free Zone

Images
The Hetzer: Take it everywhere, it loves you.
(Is also a bit out of scale, that bore looks bigger even than 120mm.)

Images
Our situation calls for a nekomimi.
Old 2013-03-21, 18:12   Link #5159
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. It's pleasant to listen to, and nice lyrics.

On episode 11:

Action all throughout that episode. Tiger P now showing that it's worth finding it, added a lot of firepower to the Oorai team. The bridge collapsing to delay Black Forest, reminded me of bridges being blown up by americans to delay Joachim Peiper in the Battle of the Bulge. Miho goes to rescue the stranded first years, she's really a leader who does not leave anyone behind. And lastly, that Maus in the town looks impossible to take down - 2 tanks down + Tiger P damaged.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 18:39   Link #5160
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
As much as I like Origa, here's a superior version:

YouTube
So that's the name of the tune I remember from The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks