Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 12:30   Link #681
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudding321 View Post
I can't imagine I've ended up reading this kind of stuff at the end. TBH, I was hoping for something like K-ON when I picked it up...oh gosh, my dreams perished This ought to be another lesson to not buy light novels straight away after glancing its cover.

Oh btw, I was surprised the writer actually used **** you (vulgar language) in v4. I was expecting something like that filtered by the editor...oh well
It's just swearing. Seen worse.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 19:38   Link #682
Hollownerox
Pretty Swell Guy

Quote:
I can't imagine I've ended up reading this kind of stuff at the end. TBH, I was hoping for something like K-ON when I picked it up...oh gosh, my dreams perished This ought to be another lesson to not buy light novels straight away after glancing its cover.

Oh btw, I was surprised the writer actually used **** you (vulgar language) in v4. I was expecting something like that filtered by the editor...oh well
...I'm guessing you never read Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai then? You'd be surprised how much language is allowed through the filters nowadays; after-all swearing is even used as a plot point at times in some series.

And about judging a book by its cover, you should never watch/read a series without looking up a general summary of what the series about; one day you will seriously regret it.... *cough* School Days *cough* (T_T)

"Love is a very powerful force. Even more so when it's focused into a coherent beam of destruction. Every time I cast Hadoken, it siphons away some of the love in the universe. I'm not sure how much, but I'm given to understand the divorce rate goes up with each blast." - Black Mage
Hollownerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 00:30   Link #683
pudding321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollownerox View Post
...I'm guessing you never read Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai then? You'd be surprised how much language is allowed through the filters nowadays; after-all swearing is even used as a plot point at times in some series.

And about judging a book by its cover, you should never watch/read a series without looking up a general summary of what the series about; one day you will seriously regret it.... *cough* School Days *cough* (T_T)
Hmmm...in fact I did read haganai. Maybe I was skimming the pages too fast I missed it

Do remember this is a children's light novel, so I think it had better filter those inappropriate parts (the limit of LNs should go as far as kissing scenes...with Campione at its finest)

School Days...I wonder if the VN is better than mediocre.
pudding321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:32   Link #684
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Hmmm...in fact I did read haganai. Maybe I was skimming the pages too fast I missed it

Do remember this is a children's light novel, so I think it had better filter those inappropriate parts (the limit of LNs should go as far as kissing scenes...with Campione at its finest)

School Days...I wonder if the VN is better than mediocre.
I'm pretty sure Kokoro Connect, the LN series at least, is anything but 'children.'

Now I don't know what your standards for 'children' are, but with a theme that shouts of 'seinen and coming of age' aside (this is debatable), all those blatant sex jokes, bullying and other forms of socially questionable concepts that appear in almost every single volume would already throw this series right into the teens/PG-13 category. This series is definitely beyond the age category of series like Charlie Bone and Harry Potter.

If anything, I think your example, Campione, goes a lot further than just vulgarity with all those progressively suggestive scenes in later volumes. And I'm not talking about plain kissing.

Last edited by Lantern; 2012-09-24 at 03:11.
Old 2012-09-24, 07:08   Link #685
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

*Shrugged*

The F word and various other English vulgarities have usually make it passed the Japanese censorship.

Also, you'll be surprised how much is allowed in 'children' books... Anybody remember reading K.A Applegate's Animorph and Everworld back in the days ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:10   Link #686
Sumeragi
Banned

I don't actually recall any swearing happening in Animorphs. Are you talking about all the gore and bone bashing?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:14   Link #687
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I don't actually recall any swearing happening in Animorphs. Are you talking about all the gore and bone bashing?
The swearing part happens in Everworld, Animorph covers them up with cute little phrases like "....Said something that is considered quite rude."

The physical violence is one part, but don't forget they've also deal with heavy stuff like torture and slavery and even child soldiers to an extend, along with various war themes.
Old 2012-09-24, 08:40   Link #688
s07195
However,

The Chinese version actually had it as 'Fxxk you'.

I read the Animorphs when I was younger. The concept of morphing into animals for two hours was something I thought was quite cool back then (especially with one of the books being a choose-your-own-adventure style one), but in hindsight was kind of squicky.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:04   Link #689
Mimi-Senpai

In the United State is common to use foul lanuage in the authors writing. An example of a young adult writer is John Green, he used "F**k" in Looking for Alaska in a sexual way. And it's a young adult novel. However, if we're talking about George R. R. Martin, there's many "f**ks" used in his Game of Thrones book series. Though, that series is not meant for teens, mostly for adults but it seem to be really popular with young adults, including myself who's still a teen. Moving on, J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter book is a children's literature series and she used "bitch" in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by Molly Weasley against Bellatrix Lestrange. Even if "bitch" is not a strong curse word, wasn't something I was expecting in her Harry Potter books that is meant for children. In a Toradora ep 16 , Taiga use the word F word; I never was confirm if that was really said in the anime since I haven't had the chance to read the novels yet.

Edit: I don't know if the swearing is unpleasant in the Asian area...

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
Mimi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 18:00   Link #690
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi-Senpai View Post
Edit: I don't know if the swearing is unpleasant in the Asian area...
Swearing is less common in Asian culture. However, it is exactly because of that reason that swearing is often used in writings to make a point about a character.

I mean, who'd expect Inaba to flip the bird (Vol 1) or drop the F bomb (Vol 4)?
Or, who'd expect Iori to go on absolute fury mode saying this line "Are you XXX trying to betray Inaba Himeko?" (Vol 6) Replace XXX with vulgarity that we commonly use to emphasize a point, like the word fxxking, even though it's not exactly fxxking in Japanese, but the severeness is of the same level.

Anyway, you see them swearing, and immediately get the point that A) The person is so angry or ridiculed that he or she is acting out of boundary of social norm or B) The person means business.

P.S. Original sentence is 稲葉姫子を裏切るってのかテメエは, where テメエ is a strong/very rude word in Japanese culture where you simply just don't go around saying that word in public (It's often translated to 'You bastard' in English, which imo sounds a lot less serious than what it actually implies.)
Old 2012-09-24, 19:20   Link #691
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Eh, I think swearing in a foreign language is less offensive then in your original language so it would get overlook.
Old 2012-09-24, 22:09   Link #692
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll just say this:

1. Korean and Chinese have even worse swearing than English.
2. Japanese has a very limited number of swear words compared to other languages, so swearing basically means that person is being either very vulgar or very insistent on a point.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:34   Link #693
Misslaly

For the new ED I'll like to say that if you look at the uniform of the hand he is holding it is Iori's if Im not blind plus the skin color is lighter than Inaban's hand
Old 2012-09-25, 07:41   Link #694
Sumeragi
Banned

A picture for those who know the novels. It took my breath away and left me with a warm beating heart.

Images
Then Please Teach Me
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-25, 08:54   Link #695
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslaly View Post
For the new ED I'll like to say that if you look at the uniform of the hand he is holding it is Iori's if Im not blind plus the skin color is lighter than Inaban's hand
Er... Do you mean the new OP?
Anyway yea we know that, Taichi and Inaban are both Iori's harem

If you are indeed talking about the ED though, then I'm pretty sure there aren't any shots where Taichi is holding someone's hand with uniform. Both the 'Letting go' and 'Taichi's choice' shots removed the sleeves of the girls' hands. Just pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
A picture for those who know the novels. It took my breath away and left me with a warm beating heart.

Images
Then Please Teach Me
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'll just voice my approval here
Old 2012-09-25, 10:50   Link #696
pudding321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslaly View Post
Oh man, people, face the music—it's Heartseed's hand.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense as heartseed said he was interested in them. It's the same with how you're interested in a girl.

But most importantly, heartseed is interested in Taichi.

Oh and yeah, heartseed is Iori's split personality. Iori changed her personality so much a new personality evolved and had the powers to control the club members. This explains why heartseed did not kill Iori in the first arc as Iori was his/her host. Also, in the third arc, they were turned to babies, right? When Iori was a baby, her split personality heartseed had not yet developed, so when the phenomenon was triggered by no.2, heartseed has no power to resist him at the start whatsoever. It was until Iori made up her mind to face her family did heartseed show up and ask her whether she wanted to start all over. Heartseed was once a split personality of Iori and thus he/she had the feeling of Iori—to start all over in an attempt to wipe out her trauma. But after all these things Iori had learnt to stand up, face the trauma, and march forward, unlike heartseed—a reflection of her past—who wants to simply erase things and start all over again. Iori denies what her past thinks, and therefore she is reborn.

lol
pudding321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 08:32   Link #697
s07195
However,

That's quite a fanfic.
Old 2012-09-27, 15:48   Link #698
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Spoiler for Kokoro Connect Character Popularity Poll:
Old 2012-09-27, 20:02   Link #699
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Spoiler for Kokoro Connect Character Popularity Poll:
I probably said it in my original post already but I'm just gonna say again that Inaban looks incredibly cute in that illus

I'm also wondering where did that colored version of black-short hair Setouchi Kaoru come from, it looks like official art to me, which I've never seen (The illustration in Michi is still her long-brunette version, and it's gray-scaled. She cut her hair and bleached it back to natural black after the events of Michi.) Did I mention she actually look kinda cute with that hair?
Old 2012-09-27, 22:29   Link #700
APNki

Screen caps for the next episode are up: http://www.kokoro-connect.com/story/
APNki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, shounen