AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 06:55   Link #141
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Ma'am... You had all the time beyond Macross -- lots of it which could have allowed you more artistic freedom -- to do something different and evolve as a singer, but the biggest roadblock for you is yourself. Now that you've said it, you're done.
Enh, that's unfair, I think. The woman writes, performs, produces, releases, and promotes her albums ALL BY HERSELF. And she's made, what, 25 albums? Many of them exceptional.

In other words, she HAS done something different and she HAS evolved as a singer. Have you checked her out?
Old 2012-05-18, 07:12   Link #142
sa547
*Author

You can easily say about that, but she getting butt-mad for being famous for just one thing is like denying her role in one of the finest sagas in anime history. Yes, she did everything to create those 25 albums, which is a commendable feat by itself, and as you say they're critically-acclaimed, but who gets to listen to them?

Unfortunately most of the older fandom -- including me -- can only remember about her is being Lynn Minmay, the one and only.

If I were her, I won't mind about being famous, and I would've played the idol-seiyuu "game" a little longer to understand how the system works and put it to my advantage, play my cards right instead of walking away in favor of an idealistic vision. This way she could have done a lot more not just being a songwriter but a wholly versatile artist.

Try she might to get herself away from Macross, but she can't get Macross out of her system, and I'm sad that she took the whole issue of public identity too hard.

For further reading:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/inde...howtopic=36895

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-18 at 07:26.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 07:19   Link #143
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
You can easily say about that, but she getting butt-mad for being famous for just one thing is like denying her role in one of the finest sagas in anime history. Yes, she did everything to create those 25 albums, which is a commendable feat by itself, and as you say they're critically-acclaimed, but who gets to listen to them?
Anyone who goes to www.marimusic.com.
Old 2012-05-18, 07:21   Link #144
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Will you guys kill me if I say I didn't really care for any of her post-Macross albums?

GET A LIFE!!!

Oh, God, I'm so sorry for famous people who can't get by because of the thing they're famous for... Really, I'm crying, here.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 07:31   Link #145
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Will you guys kill me if I say I didn't really care for any of her post-Macross albums?

GET A LIFE!!!

Oh, God, I'm so sorry for famous people who can't get by because of the thing they're famous for... Really, I'm crying, here.

I think you're misunderstanding what she's saying.

As her follow-up Facebook post said,

"I guess some people don't understand what I'm expressing here. I'm not denying or dismissing anything. I'm not making anything little. It's the opposite. I'm saying I've been impacted hugely and NowMari needs your support.

BOOM!

Later."
Old 2012-05-18, 07:45   Link #146
sa547
*Author

As a final note, although I am gravely disappointed at her for making such a statement on Facebook, I wish her luck.
Old 2012-05-18, 07:48   Link #147
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
As a final note, although I am gravely disappointed at her for making such a statement, I wish her luck.
Which statement? The original, or the clarification?
Old 2012-05-18, 08:12   Link #148
victoryred

I've met her and I think she is a wonderful person when you take a moment and talk to her instead of drooling over the fact you hope to hear her sing Ai Oboete Imasu Ka. I just think that once in a while she just doesn't want to always hear Minmay or Macross all the time. She doesn't deny the fact she did the role or that she owes a lot to the role, but I think she wants people there is more to her than just that. Maybe she did some things wrong when coming out here to change but I call becoming an independent singer songwriter and winning a Grammy for one of her works a big accomplishment. Does it mean I am gonna stop enjoying her singing Minmay songs? No. I like her works post Macross and I will still listen to her songs.
victoryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 08:35   Link #149
sa547
*Author

I would appreciate her more as a very talented artist... if only she didn't have to kick my ass out twice off her Twitter and Facebook accounts for me innocently mentioning Macross on both places.

Now I'm not angry, just sad.

I'm a normal fan who just happens to have a new opportunity to rewatch the series after a very long time, and for her to do the unexpected on such a personal level abruptly left me a lasting impression about her personality more than her music.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-18 at 09:00.
Old 2012-05-18, 09:32   Link #150
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I would appreciate her more as a very talented artist... if only she didn't have to kick my ass out twice off her Twitter and Facebook accounts for me innocently mentioning Macross on both places.
So, let's look at it from her perspective...

She's sick of getting identified with Minmay.

You identify her with Minmay.

Er...how would YOU react...?
Old 2012-05-18, 10:32   Link #151
sa547
*Author

If I were in her shoes but very open-minded and willing to accept the past as it is, I would have no problem dealing with all sorts of fans as long as I have a thick hide (which should be requisite for any public figure).

But unfortunately, with her having a huge load of emotional baggage, what with some really bothersome fans, with some co-stars (two have committed suicide) and collaborators (Ishiguro) dead, and some American who took the whole saga, changed everything including the dialogue (thus affecting the feel and characterization of the original, which in turn created a stereotype and an irresistible target for haters), and called it his own creation.

All this baggage is enough to seriously make a dent into her personality, and because she seems unable to let go of her trauma, it becomes hard to do the things she really wants to do, purportedly messing up her ability as an artist.

I don't know what inner demons she still have to fight off, but this outburst would have not happened if only she could be more open about the past, emotionally firm, and able to understand the significance of being Minmay and the feelings of well-meaning fans, even if it's just one voice-acting role that had made a very huge impact for some people and the industry as a whole.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:48   Link #152
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
If I were in her shoes but very open-minded and willing to accept the past as it is, I would have no problem dealing with all sorts of fans as long as I have a thick hide (which should be requisite for any public figure).

But unfortunately, with her having a huge load of emotional baggage, what with some really bothersome fans, with some co-stars (two have committed suicide) and collaborators (Ishiguro) dead, and some American who took the whole saga, changed everything including the dialogue (thus affecting the feel and characterization of the original, which in turn created a stereotype and an irresistible target for haters), and called it his own creation.

All this baggage is enough to seriously make a dent into her personality, and because she seems unable to let go of her trauma, it becomes hard to do the things she really wants to do, purportedly messing up her ability as an artist.

I don't know what inner demons she still have to fight off, but this outburst would have not happened if only she could be more open about the past, emotionally firm, and able to understand the significance of being Minmay and the feelings of well-meaning fans, even if it's just one voice-acting role that had made a very huge impact for some people and the industry as a whole.
Yes...but you said she should move PAST the Minmay image. She did that, but you didn't pay attention.

Then she got on your case for not paying attention. You were "disappointed" by that.

What does she need to do to tell you that she needs your support for what she's doing NOW, not what she did 30 years ago?

You could've bought any of her albums at any time over the last 30 years, yet you chose not to...and you get upset because she claims you're not helping her out.

Is she wrong...? How many albums have you bought from her recently?
Old 2012-05-18, 11:24   Link #153
sa547
*Author

As I live in a third-world country, I don't have the money or a credit card or access to afford them just to show my loyalty, but all I have to give is moral support or praise.

Pulp Fiction's Jules told me right that personality goes a long way, and in this case, cold-shouldering a casual fan like me doesn't help much to tell me it's her "normal" behavior. I wanted an explanation from her for being blocked on both social networks, but I was genuinely shocked when I found out the truth.

I'd better get myself something to drink.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:05   Link #154
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
As I live in a third-world country, I don't have the money or a credit card or access to afford them just to show my loyalty, but all I have to give is moral support or praise.

Pulp Fiction's Jules told me right that personality goes a long way, and in this case, cold-shouldering a casual fan like me doesn't help much to tell me it's her "normal" behavior. I wanted an explanation from her for being blocked on both social networks, but I was genuinely shocked when I found out the truth.

I'd better get myself something to drink.
But again...which message disappointed you...the original, or the explanation?

And again...she's asking you to help her out NOW. You refuse to, maybe with good reason, but still...you live in a third world country, you can't help her out. She asks for help, you insult her for asking for help...

Who's the jerk here, really?

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2012-05-18 at 12:46.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 12:49   Link #155
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

So she finally lashed out? Its expected, and I understand. Personally, I never identified Mari with only Minmei, but I admit, I was never a big fan of her music either. She is sick of it, but at the same time, her only exposure to the mass majority of her fans in the world had, for the most part, only through Minmei. Understandably, its not her fault, but neither is it the fans' fault, because Minmei was the only thing most fans ever knew. This being said, she is actually quite talented...

In addition, she reminds me of Alec Guinness when the latter was asked about the role of Obi-Wan.

This is complicated...

At the same time, I keep in mind that May'n is very much the spiritual embodiment of Sheryl Nome, but May'n is May'n, she has other talents and I recognize them. I am going to see her perform in June, and I sincerely hope it is a good concert.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 13:42   Link #156
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But again...which message disappointed you...the original, or the explanation?
She just blocked me out for no reason until I knew the true story.

Quote:
And again...she's asking you to help her out NOW. You refuse to, maybe with good reason, but still...you live in a third world country, you can't help her out. She asks for help, you insult her for asking for help...

Who's the jerk here, really?
Have I ever insulted her? It would have been reassuring for me if she herself explained in a polite way as to why she blocked me off, and also could have put up a warning to anyone wishing to communicate with her what messages she considers acceptable or not.

At her Twitter account and got blocked, I suddenly wondered if I ever hurt her feelings just because I mentioned Macross in reply to one of her tweets. I tried to apologize formally like a normal person could do, and nothing came out of it, so I dismissed her completely.

If I ever hurt you and got you into defense mode, I'm very sorry, I don't hate this woman by the strength of her being a "living legend" and a model single mother, but Mari's behavior towards some fans (and no thanks to a few asshole shipping haters who bombard her for being "bad") isn't going to help her music.

Oh, there's a term for such tendencies: the Streisand Effect.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-18 at 22:28.
Old 2012-05-18, 18:26   Link #157
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

If I remember correctly, she's lashed out before. Maybe not as vehemently as she did yesterday (which I also saw almost as soon as she posted it).

EDIT: I was going to post more on the subject, but it's time for me to go home.

Endless "Be back later" Soul
Old 2012-05-19, 00:58   Link #158
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding what she's saying.
Not really, no. I simply do not agree with her expressed opinion, sorry...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 06:06   Link #159
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

This is ironically sudden... when she mentioned that she didn't want to be tied to Minmei, I actually had a flashback to Alto speaking the same about Princess Sakura.

Quite honestly, I can't fathom why she's upset that people want to admire or hate her for being one of the most beloved characters in the Macross franchise. Though I understand that Robotech has caused hatred on the opposite side, Do You Remember Love? revamped that, did it not? Also, many that saw the shitty version of the series later watched SDFM anyway. But I don't see how she could hate it. Doesn't she stop to think that other Macross VAs, especially the singers, might have the same difficulties as her?

And truly, Nakajima and May'n are in the same boat, as is Endo. They will be forever attached to Ranka and Sheryl. But still, they've moved on. May'n has had two albums (one during the movies' airing and another after it) since. Nakajima has had two albums (same way) and has also moved on to new characters (Sazanka anyone?). The one I feared getting typecasted the most was Endo, Sheryl's main voice actor. But even she moved on, though in Guilty Crown she played a villian... And Nakamura is working on various projects right now. It's the most I've seen him do in years! He hasn't complained about being called Alto at conventions and I KNOW people have a lot of distaste for Alto's character (be it series or movies).

She doesn't stop to realize that the latest series, Frontier, also shares a similar popularity, if not more, to SDFM. And those VAs have been called these characters multiple times but they don't let it bug them. They've moved forward with their lives and hold Frontier as a happy memory, as Mari should, despite the emotional baggage of the cast. It wasn't as if she had to live through what Roy Focker's VA did (character death).

I can see those emotional attachments affecting her but she needs to pull herself back together. She is a good singer outside of SDFM. She needs to realize that. But she also needs to realize that the generation she comes from are mainly people who recognize her as Lynn Minmei. She is being unfair to the new generation that looks up to her and - without even realizing it - making them itch to watch the series, then the mayhem begins all over again. Perhaps this is her grief finally lashing out. In a way, she is a lot like the character herself in personality. Though she only played the character, her attitude towards this situation is very similar. And, like her character, the only thing she can think to do is yell at the audience and run away because she's scared of facing reality. And sadly, that's one thing I'll never forget about Minmei's character...
Old 2012-05-19, 06:51   Link #160
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not really, no. I simply do not agree with her expressed opinion, sorry...
So she said she was "impacted hugely"...and she said that wants people to support "NowMari" (rather than, I suppose, "PastMari").

What's there to disagree with?