AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-19, 12:46   Link #1
slc

"Magical Girl" anime....

Okay, I have to admit, I like magical-girl anime.
Cardcaptor Sakura is perhaps my all-time favorite, and I just finished Ultra Maniac which seemed stupid but somehow I got into it. *shrug*

Can anyone else suggest downloadable series that are like this? magical-girl anime, upbeat and fun?

thanks
Old 2004-01-19, 14:33   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I too have watched numerous of magical girl animes in my lifetime.

I cannot give you info on "subs" as I have no knowledge whatsoever of them, but I recommed classic magical girl animes such as:

A. Himitsu no Akko-chan
B. Mahoutsukai Sarry
C. Candy Candy
D. Hananoko Run-Run
E. Majokko Megu-chan
F. Mahou shoujo Lalabel

On the other hand, if you are one those types that don't care for "old school" anime, then see:

A. Tokyo Mew Mew
B. Comet-san
C. Nurse Witch Magikarte Komugi-chan (heavy classic anime parody and Japanese otaku culture knowledge needed)
Old 2004-01-19, 16:05   Link #3
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I too have watched numerous of magical girl animes in my lifetime.

I cannot give you info on "subs" as I have no knowledge whatsoever of them, but I recommed classic magical girl animes such as:

A. Himitsu no Akko-chan
B. Mahoutsukai Sarry
C. Candy Candy
D. Hananoko Run-Run
E. Majokko Megu-chan
F. Mahou shoujo Lalabel

On the other hand, if you are one those types that don't care for "old school" anime, then see:

A. Tokyo Mew Mew
B. Comet-san
C. Nurse Witch Magikarte Komugi-chan (heavy classic anime parody and Japanese otaku culture knowledge needed)
don't forget Ojamajo Doremi ^-^
Old 2004-01-19, 16:13   Link #4
slc

Quote:
Um I don't dislike older stuff really, but the keyword in my post is "downloadable".

I'll check out those last three, thanks. errr...1 only one of those is actually available.
Old 2004-01-19, 16:20   Link #5
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc
Um I don't dislike older stuff really, but the keyword in my post is "downloadable".

I'll check out those last three, thanks. errr...1 only one of those is actually available.
Well comet san, is good, full moon wo sagashite and quite a few others. (will post later)
Old 2004-01-19, 16:41   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Gee, don't apologize for liking magical girl anime! If you like it, it's all good. You don't have to defend yourself for doing what you like to do.

Card Captor Sakura is an amazing series. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I think it's the very best of the magical girls shows, but I like a lot of other titles too.

Another recent title available in AnimeSuki:
Mermaid Melodi Pitchi Pitchi Pitch
The Sailor Moon live action revival is also available. It's not really similar to any anime.

older (torrents available) titles include
Magical Fairy Persia
Magical Angel Creamy Mami
Mary Bell
Miracle Girls

Some shows are aimed mainly at young girls and based on manga from young girls' titles. The early ones were usually like that. Later series shoot for more of a crossover audience or are definitely shounen anime (Pretty Girl Magical Sami fits the latter).

The target audience is important to know in that a series will tend to contain fanservice and comedy to a greater degree when it is a crossover or shounen-oriented series, whereas the girl's titles tend to develop the characters more extensively.

There are also licensed works and some older titles that used to be available on fansubbed tapes. This guide (http://www.mahoushoujo.net/) will provide plenty of information about older series.

One fairly recent show I am going to mention here as a big favorite of mine is Akihabara Dennou Gumi (Cyber Team in Akihabara)(1999). It's definitely a crossover title, with lots of odd humor and a bit of fanservice. Some decent SF figures into the plot. It finally got licensed last year and I hope it gets a good reception.

If you can't get seeds for certain older torrents you can request that they be reseeded in the forum under "resharing requests."

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-31 at 00:10.
Old 2004-01-19, 17:36   Link #7
slc

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
The target audience is important to know in that a series will tend to contain fanservice and comedy to a greater degree when it is a crossover or shounen-oriented series, whereas the girl's titles tend to develop the characters more extensively.
Hrm. Which type is the Mermaid one? How do I know which type of target audience they have?
I'd rather go for some with some humor in them.
I really like Kodomo no Omocha, too, but I can't get the rest of the episodes without buying them and I can't afford that, and I can't get them off IRC cuz of my client. :/
I dunno why they don't put the old-subbed ones up on BT til they get the new ones going.
Old 2004-01-19, 18:53   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc
Hrm. Which type is the Mermaid one? How do I know which type of target audience they have?
Do a web search of the title. I found this for Pitchi Pitchi Pitch: http://www.strictlyshoujo.com/series/reviews.php?ID=60 - I can see by the name of the main site that this is a girls' title.

Also, most anime (as you probably know) is based on manga titles. Just find out where the manga was serialized. "Sailor Moon" came out in "Nakayoshi," which is basically for girls 9-14.

A lot of the girls' shows cross over to some extent. Shounen titles are rarer but don't cross over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc
I'd rather go for some with some humor in them.
I said "comedy" not humor. The girls' shows have plenty of humor, and comedy too.

The best thing to do at this point is watch what you can and see what you like. Or read reviews on the web to see what other people think of them title by title. As you saw with Ultra Maniac, even a simple show has its good points.
Old 2004-01-22, 19:52   Link #9
slc

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
The best thing to do at this point is watch what you can and see what you like. Or read reviews on the web to see what other people think of them title by title. As you saw with Ultra Maniac, even a simple show has its good points.
I watched the first episode of Pitchi Pichi Pitch, and I finally figured out what I didn't like about Sailor Moon. Those eyes. Even bigger than other anime, and they have that odd trapezoidal shape in the bottom, like a reflection of something that isn't there....

But I tried out Princess Tutu, and I think I like it! Very wierd, I can see how it could get a bit dark and Miyazaki-ish. I'm confused about what's real and what's not, but I think I'm supposed to be after just one episode.

I'm also going to try Pita Ten and Magical Fairy Persia, I think. As soon as I can DL them.
Also maybe Tokyo Mew Mew.

Just in case you wondered.
Old 2004-01-22, 20:19   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Miracle Girls is definitely worth a shot. Solid characters. No costumes or stock transformation sequences or creepy eyes (I know what you mean about those). Plenty humor and romance.

Pita Ten is a shounen anime. It's cute and watchable, especially when Shia (the little devil girl) shows up.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-28 at 04:50.
Old 2004-01-28, 04:16   Link #11
Scythe

Tokyo Mew Mew is good. I've seen some of it and it's fun to watch.

I also suggest St. Tail -- it's a cute little anime and manga series. I've seen some of it and it is very well made. Sadly, I don't know very much about it but what I do know is this: a girl dresses up as the famous thief St. Tail. It seems to be a modern day Robin Hood story.
Old 2004-01-28, 04:42   Link #12
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe
I... suggest St. Tail
Licensed by Tokyopop if anyone is wondering. They did a lousy job releasing this. It's cute as you say but I didn't go for it. I thought having a nun as a main character was a combination of tastelessness and ignorance.
Old 2004-01-28, 04:45   Link #13
Scythe

I didn't read the translated manga released in the States. I read scanlations online for it. It's much better that way, in my opinion. I should have been a little more clearer about that.
Old 2004-01-28, 06:04   Link #14
wao
OK.

Whee! Let's over-plug Princess Tutu!

Yes, Princess Tutu is great. Especially great if you don't actually mind the transformation scenes. Then it becomes perfect. ^_^ I never was a big fan of mahou shoujo though... I warn you though you might get quite sad when it comes to the end of the end....

It gets confusing the first 2 episodes, but don't worry - just keep on until the last episode, episode 26... and you'll be very satisfied. ^_^

There have been many good things said about Full Moon wo Sagashite, you might want to try that. I think it's aimed at girls around 12 or so...
Old 2004-01-28, 19:39   Link #15
Access

Quote:
C. Candy Candy
Candy Candy is _not_ magical girl / mahoushoujo. I don't know how anyone could get the idea it is.

http://members.fortunecity.com/candywhite/menu.html
Old 2004-01-28, 20:27   Link #16
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
Candy Candy is _not_ magical girl / mahoushoujo. I don't know how anyone could get the idea it is.
That is true, but kj1980 ain't just some guy talkin' out of his hat. Cut him some slack this time.

Scythe --> we are talking anime here, not to badger you about it but the person who started the thread is looking for anime.
Old 2004-01-29, 05:23   Link #17
Yxy
chaunen...

oh no I'm a 12 yr old girl....

anyway. FMwS == best ending ever. IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
There have been many good things said about Full Moon wo Sagashite, you might want to try that. I think it's aimed at girls around 12 or so...
Old 2004-01-29, 05:54   Link #18
wao
OK.

Yeah, well I doubt many 12-year-old girls use IRC and BitTorrent to download anime

I dunno, maybe older girls watch it too. I honestly am just inferring from what others say about the thing...

Anybody really knows? o_o
Old 2004-01-29, 18:15   Link #19
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Pita Ten is not a Shounen 0_o. I mean guys like it but it isn't directed at males if it is suppost to be I don't see it, unless the manga is more so.
Old 2004-01-29, 19:14   Link #20
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Pita Ten is not a Shounen...
If you don't see it you don't see it, but you offer no evidence to back your assertion. There are plenty of shows about girls or that have girls as the main characters that have nothing to do with shoujo anime. Pita Ten was published in Dengeki GAO! a shounen manga digest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Anybody really knows? o_o
As far as Full Moon o Sagashite, 12-14 is roughly right. The show was based on a manga targeted to girls that age. The 12-year-old girls who watched the show didn't need to know anything about BT of course; they just turned on their TVs - they live in Japan.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-29 at 19:32.
Closed Thread