AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2014-02-02, 10:38   Link #1
worzek

3rd party Sao game?? maybe. :D

hello everyone, i am thinking of making a sword art online game using java.

my question is what do you guys think would happen?

would i get slapped with a copyright lawsuit even if i dont profit but just have donations setup that go straight into game dev/server dev?

do you think the company would be okay with it and be happy to see fans enjoy doing what they saw the hero kirito do in that wonderful yet deadly game?

either way i am going to make it it is just the thought of being sewed for wanting to play with other people publicly for possible donations people could make to increase the quality of the world. that is the deciding factor in making it public or just playing with friends when floor 1 is completed.
worzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 17:35   Link #2
Gundamx

does it have USA license?
Yes = you can't get profit from it

No = you can make doujin games and sell them
doujin = not original indie games/manga/novel....etc
(not necessary hentai)

that why there is many doujin manga/game/novel in japan/east unlike west.
->if you make short story about DC or Marvel characters and sell it = get ready for lawsuit charge )

Last edited by Gundamx; 2014-02-03 at 10:04. Reason: Don't link to manga reading sites.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 19:41   Link #3
Jaden

To be safe, name the game something a little different from SAO, and don't directly rip art assets from the official works. Then you should be OK.
Old 2014-02-02, 23:18   Link #4
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Generally speaking, always assume that using a companies properties for your own product is a risk. They can sue you for damages, shut you down, and just make your life miserable. For the most part the average company will look the other way, provided the project is small and no money is exchanging hands (even donations: it's all considered profit to them). If your product is really good, you may even get some recognition for it from them (but don't count on it - those cases are really rare). But many companies are extremely aggressive about protecting their IP and will shut you down immediately once they are aware of you.

It's easier in the long run if you come up with something original. Certainly feel free to be inspired by something like SAO, but if you create an original IP you can freely charge for it, ask for donations, etc., and you can get legal protections for yourself so people can't copy you, sue you, or shut you down.
Old 2014-02-03, 02:04   Link #5
worzek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Generally speaking, always assume that using a companies properties for your own product is a risk. They can sue you for damages, shut you down, and just make your life miserable. For the most part the average company will look the other way, provided the project is small and no money is exchanging hands (even donations: it's all considered profit to them). If your product is really good, you may even get some recognition for it from them (but don't count on it - those cases are really rare). But many companies are extremely aggressive about protecting their IP and will shut you down immediately once they are aware of you.

It's easier in the long run if you come up with something original. Certainly feel free to be inspired by something like SAO, but if you create an original IP you can freely charge for it, ask for donations, etc., and you can get legal protections for yourself so people can't copy you, sue you, or shut you down.

i could make my own but the point of it is making an mmo sao that fans can play to live the experience of what they watched in aincrad. i guess i could do floor one then make a video of it asking the company if it is okay etc. and send the video to them and if they say no ill just change map layout and mobs.
Old 2014-02-03, 02:42   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It all depends on the company, but Japanese bigwig companies seem to slam the gavel hard on these, especially outside of their own nation. Even if the company is okay with it, you have to heavily specify that absolutely none of it is for profit, and this includes donations.

I'm currently doing an Ace Attorney fangame myself, and it's quite large scale. Had to work very carefully to avoid any sort of C&D from Capcom, so everything is funded by myself.

If you haven't started the project yet, find a way to contact the company and layout your idea to them. Ensure it will all be free of charge and non-profit. Better to get the slapdown before you waste hours and money, and as Solace mentioned, your whole life can turn sour in an instant if they decide to sue you. It's not a pretty situation that you could fudge-win. Copyright is such a touchy subject to begin with.
Old 2014-02-03, 05:35   Link #7
worzek

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
It all depends on the company, but Japanese bigwig companies seem to slam the gavel hard on these, especially outside of their own nation. Even if the company is okay with it, you have to heavily specify that absolutely none of it is for profit, and this includes donations.

I'm currently doing an Ace Attorney fangame myself, and it's quite large scale. Had to work very carefully to avoid any sort of C&D from Capcom, so everything is funded by myself.

If you haven't started the project yet, find a way to contact the company and layout your idea to them. Ensure it will all be free of charge and non-profit. Better to get the slapdown before you waste hours and money, and as Solace mentioned, your whole life can turn sour in an instant if they decide to sue you. It's not a pretty situation that you could fudge-win. Copyright is such a touchy subject to begin with.
Who would i email the writer of the book or the company that did the anime series?
Old 2014-02-03, 05:45   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzek View Post
Who would i email the writer of the book or the company that did the anime series?
Whoever owns the license of the title. Sometimes an adaptation studio buys the rights under their own name. Sometimes they place it under a child copyright company to manage. Very rarely, they'll allow the original creator to keep full copyright claims.

It's also a touchy subject because SAO already has an adaptation, manga, light novel and even a PSP game. If any of these claimants discover your project and are against it, they could quickly and easily notify the one in charge. Best option is to contact A-1 Pictures and they can point you to the right copyright claimant if it's not them.

I'm going to be honest, it's very likely that they'll reject your proposal. Hate to sound so harsh, but I just want to write it so you know what likely to expect. In the case that it does go through, just make sure to be very wary to not accept funding from anyone, because that is a big red flag.

Best of luck, it's always worth a try. Worst case scenario is that they turn you down and you alter it to your own creation. You can make it from scratch in a similar style and send some free publicity their way. If it gains enough traction, they may be more willing to allow projects in the future.
Old 2014-02-03, 09:40   Link #9
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I don't think japanese company is too strict about copyright, as most of them allow doujin maker to make game or manga to sell at comiket and such, though being a westerner just don't sell it and I think it would be ok.