AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-02, 20:22   Link #2341
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
That's not contrary, that's just a time stamp correction. Besides, it might just be statistics of one group of fans versus another. I don't know if anyone save NewType can make a judgment on the entire fan base's preferences.
I can only speak with the voice of fans who had access to opinions from various countries who were all sure that Sheryl was far more popular than Ranka for most of the series. Not to mention that I distinctly remember polls from Japan which showed that Sheryl was far more popular there.
Old 2010-12-02, 20:39   Link #2342
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I can only speak with the voice of fans who had access to opinions from various countries who were all sure that Sheryl was far more popular than Ranka for most of the series. Not to mention that I distinctly remember polls from Japan which showed that Sheryl was far more popular there.
Might beeee, I just remember seeing that one poll. That's really the limit of my experience with the matter.
Old 2010-12-03, 04:01   Link #2343
magnuskn

I remember hearing many things and seeing various polls, but, honestly, I am not about to go ruminating through the old threads just to dig all those quotes out, that'd take hours.
Old 2010-12-03, 04:29   Link #2344
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The most important is that Sheryl won my heart. All other fans opinion are moot for me.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-03, 06:31   Link #2345
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Can I just say I agree with KiNA and move on?

Old 2010-12-03, 08:07   Link #2346
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
The most important is that Sheryl won my heart. All other fans opinion are moot for me.
And she's not even among your "Top 4 Manga Waifus." Some fan YOU are!
Old 2010-12-03, 08:43   Link #2347
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Its called manga waifu list for a reason .. I dont read macross manga (if there is such title) - I dont even collect macross doujins .. I download, save the colored pages, deleted the rest
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-03, 08:48   Link #2348
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
(if there is such title)
There sure is!
Old 2010-12-03, 09:00   Link #2349
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Its called manga waifu list for a reason .. I dont read macross manga (if there is such title)
There are seven different Macross F comic titles (more if you include 4-koma gag comics), including one called SHERYL: Kiss in the Galaxy that is completely devoted to Sheryl.

Again, you call yourself a fan? This is the poorest showing by a self-proclaimed "Sheryl fan" since Justinstrife said he didn't like "Universal Bunny."
Old 2010-12-03, 09:28   Link #2350
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I simply dont have time to find every manga exist. I only read them online on 2 website.. one dedicated to none licensed series and one replaced OneManga - basically a place where I read my Naruto and Claymore.

And I prefer my manga to be light heart these day, with a healthy dose of ecchi, simply because, I think I have enough heavy reading when doing my own job and I prefer ecchi stuff, or simply things that dont require my brain to work.

Sorry if I fail to conformed to your typical fan stereotype who would gorged at everything a title have to offer... but that just me. Does that makes me less fan then you are, maybe, heck I dont even bought a single thing related to Macross F yet.. was planning to buy the DVD/BD but the conclusion to the series just annoys me to much.

But I can tell you this, I'm really captivated to Sheryl, as a character, and it isnt simply because she's beautiful. I really respect her for what she has been through.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-03, 09:36   Link #2351
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
There are seven different Macross F comic titles (more if you include 4-koma gag comics), including one called SHERYL: Kiss in the Galaxy that is completely devoted to Sheryl.

Again, you call yourself a fan? This is the poorest showing by a self-proclaimed "Sheryl fan" since Justinstrife said he didn't like "Universal Bunny."
On the subject of Sheryl, what's been- Wait. Impossible.

There's really no other word to describe this. Universal Bunny is made of awesome and win, all that is cute and all that is sexy, all that is good and all that is evil, and, most importantly, it is made of Sheryl Nome.

This is a travesty. Universal Bunny practically oozes Sheryl Nome appeal. Make him listen to it again. The indoctrination does not always take hold the first time. Its power can initially be overwhelming to some mortals. He will see the light.

And the dark.

The white and the black.

Bunnies that is.

Follow the white one.

Choose between the red pill or the- Wait, I lost myself there. Where was I? Oh yeah. On the subject of Sheryl, what's been going on with that Sheryl manga? Last I heard Sheryl was making a girl rock band.
Old 2010-12-03, 09:40   Link #2352
John117xCortana

In the begining it shows just what Sheryl's parents looked like and how they were murdered by the Galaxy Conspiracy.
Old 2010-12-03, 09:46   Link #2353
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
And I prefer my manga to be light heart these day, with a healthy dose of ecchi, simply because, I think I have enough heavy reading when doing my own job and I prefer ecchi stuff, or simply things that dont require my brain to work.
Okay, yeah...I can tell you've never read the Macross F mangas...Alto falling in while Sheryl and Ranka are naked in a hot spring is hardly "heavy" reading (and yes, that happened in Macross F: Secret Visions, and yes, it's quite typical of the general Macross F mangas).

Quote:
Sorry if I fail to conformed to your typical fan stereotype who would gorged at everything a title have to offer... but that just me.
I hope you know I'm not being serious, really...just teasing a little. However, you raise an interesting point that is definitely worth considering seriously. Looking at it in abstract terms, if someone says, "Oh, I'm a huge fan of Series X," and someone else says, "Oh, have you seen all this other material for it?" and the first person says, "No, I don't really care about that," then...how big a fan are they? Is it just "typical fan stereotypes" that want to find out more about characters and worlds they profess to love?

I don't really have an answer to that...certainly, I like Star Wars (to take but one example), but I care nothing about the "expanded universe." I'd definitely say that makes me less interested than the guy who has read all the books and played all the games. But on the other hand, you've got to prioritize, since most of us don't have unlimited time and funds to pursue every fandom we'd like.

So yeah, I dunno. But it's an interesting question.
Old 2010-12-03, 09:47   Link #2354
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It also doesn't help that none of them are actively scanlated. Not all of us can read Japanese and all.
Old 2010-12-03, 09:55   Link #2355
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I've seen a few weird things with Sheryl's popularity. I remember during the series itself Sheryl was not really that popular, and polls actually favored Ranka most of the time. One poll even broke down the vote spread into the voter's country of origin using their IP Address and noted an interesting trend in that Sheryl was actually very popular in the United States, much more so than Ranka, while Ranka was generally more popular in the rest of the world. I believe the overall results were largely even, maybe with a slight Ranka lead. I recall reading some hilarious comments about Americans only liking Sheryl more because of her boobs.
Sheryl was more popular than Ranka in newtype, Ranka was more popular in Animage and Animedia (until the series ended and she dropped off qucker). I think Ranka was more popular on Nico Nico but than again a Megumi video on Nico Nico received a massive amount of hate... seems they were fairly evenly popular on 2ch (though Sheryl was the preferred partner for Alto) until those episodes happened and the Anti-Ranka threads started getting Suzaku (code geass) levels of posts.

Sheryl was vastly more popular in China from what I've been told.. many chinese forums made AS look tame.. in Korea Sheryl made top 16 or 32 for Korean Best Moe.. (which gets far more votes than Saimoe and each voter is registered) and she's not exactly a "moe" character.. Ranka didn't even make it out of prelimaries IIRC. For a "moe" character she certainly failed hard in those moe contests... and being in such a popular show should be an advantage...
Old 2010-12-03, 09:56   Link #2356
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Where was I? Oh yeah. On the subject of Sheryl, what's been going on with that Sheryl manga? Last I heard Sheryl was making a girl rock band.
Not QUITE a girl rock band. I didn't read the last issue, but I glanced at it at the bookstore (¥700 is more than I want to pay for a magazine with only one title I care about, especially since the next collected volume is coming out next month), and Alto was playing guitar...so girl band plus a hime.

And again...based on the first book, I was really hoping that the Sheryl comic would get away from the zany high-school antics of the other Macross comics, and tell a more serious story...but yeah, looks like I was hoping in vain.

Oh well, at least the art's nice. Kariko Koyama draws a damn fine Sheryl. (Parenthetically, I'd like to point out that nearly ALL the Macross F manga artists draw damn fine Sheryls, which ALMOST makes the stories bearable.)
Old 2010-12-03, 10:45   Link #2357
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Sheryl was more popular than Ranka in newtype, Ranka was more popular in Animage and Animedia (until the series ended and she dropped off qucker). I think Ranka was more popular on Nico Nico but than again a Megumi video on Nico Nico received a massive amount of hate... seems they were fairly evenly popular on 2ch (though Sheryl was the preferred partner for Alto) until those episodes happened and the Anti-Ranka threads started getting Suzaku (code geass) levels of posts.

Sheryl was vastly more popular in China from what I've been told.. many chinese forums made AS look tame.. in Korea Sheryl made top 16 or 32 for Korean Best Moe.. (which gets far more votes than Saimoe and each voter is registered) and she's not exactly a "moe" character.. Ranka didn't even make it out of prelimaries IIRC. For a "moe" character she certainly failed hard in those moe contests... and being in such a popular show should be an advantage...
Ah, that must have been it. Thanks! That's a big help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Not QUITE a girl rock band. I didn't read the last issue, but I glanced at it at the bookstore (¥700 is more than I want to pay for a magazine with only one title I care about, especially since the next collected volume is coming out next month), and Alto was playing guitar...so girl band plus a hime.
The State rests, your honor.

Quote:
And again...based on the first book, I was really hoping that the Sheryl comic would get away from the zany high-school antics of the other Macross comics, and tell a more serious story...but yeah, looks like I was hoping in vain.

Oh well, at least the art's nice. Kariko Koyama draws a damn fine Sheryl. (Parenthetically, I'd like to point out that nearly ALL the Macross F manga artists draw damn fine Sheryls, which ALMOST makes the stories bearable.)
I have noticed that actually. It is a bit of a shame that it came down to zany episode 8 style antics. Odd that it seems to default to that just as soon as she meets the rest of the cast.
Old 2010-12-03, 17:00   Link #2358
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Ah, that must have been it. Thanks! That's a big help.
And not just that I found the "Western likes Sheryl cuz of boobs!" argument pretty dumb.. especailly considering some of the most popular characters of recent times were as flat as Ranka. Like Taiga, Shana, Yuki, Konata, Yui, Kanade, Mikoto etc that excuse was just that, an excuse and a poor one.
Old 2010-12-03, 17:11   Link #2359
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And not just that I found the "Western likes Sheryl cuz of boobs!" argument pretty dumb.. especailly considering some of the most popular characters of recent times were as flat as Ranka. Like Taiga, Shana, Yuki, Konata, Yui, Kanade, Mikoto etc that excuse was just that, an excuse and a poor one.
Agreed. It still got me laughing just for how stupid it was. If a character's only redeeming quality is her looks then people typically see that character as shallow, not exactly likable. A question like this, about character, draws upon the character and personality, not appearances, and I think most people understand that and pass judgment like that. Unless they're trolls.

*kicks soap box*
Old 2010-12-03, 17:22   Link #2360
magnuskn

Wait, who said that Sheryl was only popular because of her looks? I mean, besides delusional people who worship Ranka, that is.

Tags
characters