AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-27, 16:44   Link #201
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So... you revived a topic from over a year ago, to share your opinion on an issue that has not only been dropped but is actually no longer relevant?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 17:02   Link #202
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Well I am still watching it, as I said it isn't that I stopped watching it or disliked it. I am just finishing it now, so its still relevant to me.

Burn strongly and freely, my immortal flames.
Hazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 06:51   Link #203
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazou View Post
I am going to clarify a bit. When I say darker, I do not mean the color pallette in the 1999. I mean darker as in the way the anime was handled.

For example I have to find some cutscenes to explain what I am talking about. But the episode where Hisoka gets his card thrown into his shoulder blade.

I stictly remember in the '99 version the card had blood on it, the 2011 episode at least when I watched it had no blood.
This is amusing because it's the opposite. 99 version had way less blood until they learned they were going to be canceled during YSC arc, and then they added some.

If you want a bloody version, 2011 is much better.

Quote:
I think the 2011 probably had that dark atmosphere that I was talking about better in the Phantom Troupe arch, which is my favorite arch.
Yes, the YSC had more freedom in the 99 version because it was going to be cancelled.

OTOH, the plotting was done in a worse manner, with fillers and bad characterization.
Quote:
The other thing were some of the things cut out. My Favorite fight scene of all time, especially in the first arch where they were learning to become Hunters, was Kurapica v.s. Hisoka. It just doesn't exist and they magically cut to Gon being injured. We don't even get to see Gon's fight only through a flashback, ooboy.
Fillers are fillers. One anime can't use the other anime's filler, obviously.

Quote:
When I say darker I mean the atmosphere. The mood of the anime. I feel like this took on, a very 4kids approach to HxH, not as bad mind you. It's not as horrible as the abominaton of 4kids. But I like twisted anime, with dark moods.

The very few animes I watch that are light, are reverse harems its just treated better and those are guilty pleasures. And Gintama.

Otherwise you have to look at my anime history.

My entry anime was Akira, then it was Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, and then Ghost in the Shell.

From there I went to Technolyze, Serial Experiment Lain, Sci-Fi Harry, Mushishi, Mononoke, Japanese Classic Horror, Ghost Hound, Ghost Hunt, Jigoku Shoujo, etc.

I watch very dark, heavy animes. But sometimes a man has to watch something fun and light which is reserved for reverse harems generally because I like the relationship aspect better than normal harems. To many big boobs and submissive females. And Gintama.
You mean the 99 version is the kid version, right?

I mean, it's the version where the directors thought he would change Kurapika's sex so that he could portray him as a troubled woman with lots of shower scenes and bondage fanservice.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 16:27   Link #204
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Well I am still watching it, as I said it isn't that I stopped watching it or disliked it. I am just finishing it now, so its still relevant to me.
How is it relevant? It's been AGES since comparison to the 99 series were relevant. There is no longer anything to compare the current series TO.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 14:09   Link #205
noktown

Quote:
I am going to clarify a bit. When I say darker, I do not mean the color pallette in the 1999. I mean darker as in the way the anime was handled.

For example I have to find some cutscenes to explain what I am talking about. But the episode where Hisoka gets his card thrown into his shoulder blade.

I stictly remember in the '99 version the card had blood on it, the 2011 episode at least when I watched it had no blood.

I think the 2011 probably had that dark atmosphere that I was talking about better in the Phantom Troupe arch, which is my favorite arch.

The other thing were some of the things cut out. My Favorite fight scene of all time, especially in the first arch where they were learning to become Hunters, was Kurapica v.s. Hisoka. It just doesn't exist and they magically cut to Gon being injured. We don't even get to see Gon's fight only through a flashback, ooboy.

When I say darker I mean the atmosphere. The mood of the anime. I feel like this took on, a very 4kids approach to HxH, not as bad mind you. It's not as horrible as the abominaton of 4kids. But I like twisted anime, with dark moods.

The very few animes I watch that are light, are reverse harems its just treated better and those are guilty pleasures. And Gintama.

Otherwise you have to look at my anime history.

My entry anime was Akira, then it was Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, and then Ghost in the Shell.

From there I went to Technolyze, Serial Experiment Lain, Sci-Fi Harry, Mushishi, Mononoke, Japanese Classic Horror, Ghost Hound, Ghost Hunt, Jigoku Shoujo, etc.

I watch very dark, heavy animes. But sometimes a man has to watch something fun and light which is reserved for reverse harems generally because I like the relationship aspect better than normal harems. To many big boobs and submissive females. And Gintama.
In addition to what has been said,if you watch past Greed Island,you'll see much more blood and gore.They even had to change the air times when they switched to the Chimera Ant arc.

Before it was "colorful" more or less,because they aired it during the time where more kids could watch,hence get more ratings/people hooked.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 14:13   Link #206
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
In addition to what has been said,if you watch past Greed Island,you'll see much more blood and gore.They even had to change the air times when they switched to the Chimera Ant arc.

Before it was "colorful" more or less,because they aired it during the time where more kids could watch,hence get more ratings/people hooked.
I did mention, the 2011 gets better in my more favorite arch. Which is the Phantom Troupe arch. Considering I remember everything about the episodes of HxH 1999, I just skipped the episodes of the Hunter license and wait straight for the Phantom Troupe Arch.

And even though I just skip most of the scenes I remember to the fighting and then go unto the next, till I get past where the 99 didn't go.

Old 2014-04-29, 18:32   Link #207
Arkeus

Quote:
I did mention, the 2011 gets better in my more favorite arch. Which is the Phantom Troupe arch. Considering I remember everything about the episodes of HxH 1999, I just skipped the episodes of the Hunter license and wait straight for the Phantom Troupe Arch.
That's a pity. You should at least watch the Hisoka/Kastro fight that was skipped in 99 because it had too ich blood, and the GonxHisoka fight in the toweer after Gon learns nen is muuuuuch better in 2011.
Old 2014-04-29, 18:47   Link #208
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
That's a pity. You should at least watch the Hisoka/Kastro fight that was skipped in 99 because it had too ich blood, and the GonxHisoka fight in the toweer after Gon learns nen is muuuuuch better in 2011.
I am one of those terrible people. Oddly enough I never like certain characters and that always happens to be the characetr who is the MC.

For example El Cazador Nadie is the main character, I like L.A. the best as a character.

Almost every anime its guaranteed someone I like is going to die or not get much screen time because I rarely like the MC. There are some exceptions like Gintama, Sci-Fi Harry, just look at my list.

Gon, I never really liked him. Neither did I like Leorio [tall guy who was HxH Kuwabara]. I like Killua and Kurapica. So I am bias.

I like Hisoka and Fietan as well.

Kind of like how in Yu Yu Hakusho, Urameshi was okay, but my favorite character was Heie. So I'll take the time and effort to watch my favorite characters.

Old 2014-04-30, 04:03   Link #209
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Gon, I never really liked him. Neither did I like Leorio [tall guy who was HxH Kuwabara]. I like Killua and Kurapica. So I am bias.
You still should watch the Gon vs. Hysoka fight in Heaven's Arena. It's probably one of the best... hell, THE best choreographed, directed, and animated fight I've ever seen in anime. And I've seen LOTS of anime. Just go back to that episode and watch those last ten minutes. That's it. If you're not left breathless by the sheer jump in frame rate that happens around then, then action anime is simply not your thing. Also you know Hysoka wins, so what do you have to lose? You get to see Gon punched around a few times .

On another note, I don't think Gon was ever meant to be "liked" in the traditional sense. The little fucker can be creepy as hell, in fact.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 04:58   Link #210
Arkeus

Quote:

I like Hisoka and Fietan as well.
Why not watch the Hisoka/Kastro fight that was skipped in the first anime because it was too bloody?
Old 2014-04-30, 05:46   Link #211
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
There is no evidence whatsoever the timeslot change was due to content though, don't forget it happened at a random point, not to coincide with the start of the Chimera arc.
In fact, the York Shin arc was arguably bloodier in the anime, and it aired in the morning timeslot, like Greed Island and the first quarter of Chimera Ant.

After the timeslot change, 126 was probably the first midnight episode to have something that i would call truly gruesome - although the old timeslot got away with dismemberments too.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 05:53   Link #212
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The timeslot change was strictly financial - that slot was too expensive for a show with no means of generating revenue. The content myth is just something people say to make themselves feel morally superior.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 06:25   Link #213
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The timeslot change was strictly financial - that slot was too expensive for a show with no means of generating revenue. The content myth is just something people say to make themselves feel morally superior.
So it's all a huge coincidence that when the show was released even a few drops of blood were censored,yet right now we're cool seeing chopped off heads/arms with tons of blood ?

I feel so much more morally superior though
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 07:08   Link #214
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The bit about revenue generating bring the question about the sale figures of Hunter x Hunter 2011. So what are they and how do they compare to heavyweights such as the Monogatari series or the Sunrise big hits?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 07:52   Link #215
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
In fact, the York Shin arc was arguably bloodier in the anime, and it aired in the morning timeslot, like Greed Island and the first quarter of Chimera Ant.
YSC arc had a lot of censure, while Chimera arc had much less so- hell, some things that were censured in the manga weren't in the anime.
Old 2014-04-30, 13:36   Link #216
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
You still should watch the Gon vs. Hysoka fight in Heaven's Arena. It's probably one of the best... hell, THE best choreographed, directed, and animated fight I've ever seen in anime. And I've seen LOTS of anime. Just go back to that episode and watch those last ten minutes. That's it. If you're not left breathless by the sheer jump in frame rate that happens around then, then action anime is simply not your thing. Also you know Hysoka wins, so what do you have to lose? You get to see Gon punched around a few times .

On another note, I don't think Gon was ever meant to be "liked" in the traditional sense. The little fucker can be creepy as hell, in fact.
What episode? All you needed to do was tell me Gon gets his pants kicked and I am in.

Hisoka is awesome btw. Freaky as freaky can be. But he is so awesome.

So is Chrollo to be honest, but he's also creepy.

Are you seeing a theme yet?

Old 2014-05-01, 01:27   Link #217
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
What episode? All you needed to do was tell me Gon gets his pants kicked and I am in.

Hisoka is awesome btw. Freaky as freaky can be. But he is so awesome.

So is Chrollo to be honest, but he's also creepy.

Are you seeing a theme yet?
The fight begins in the second half of episode 35 and continues through episode 36. Episode 35 is the one that has the truly breath-taking sequences but also the one where Hysoka and Gon still are pretty much even (remember that Gon had to return the punch he received in the Hunter exam). Episode 36 concludes the fight. But if you have to see anything, it's the end of episode 35. 36 is good but not nearly as much, animation-wise.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 16:41   Link #218
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
The fight begins in the second half of episode 35 and continues through episode 36. Episode 35 is the one that has the truly breath-taking sequences but also the one where Hysoka and Gon still are pretty much even (remember that Gon had to return the punch he received in the Hunter exam). Episode 36 concludes the fight. But if you have to see anything, it's the end of episode 35. 36 is good but not nearly as much, animation-wise.
All right thanks for the heads up. I will do so.

Old 2014-09-13, 09:19   Link #219
Digibeast
Going digital

Is the anime on hiatus or is it just the manga?
Old 2014-09-13, 09:40   Link #220
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibeast View Post
Is the anime on hiatus or is it just the manga?
Non is on hiatus, but the anime has only 2 episodes left to air.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote