Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-08, 21:13   Link #81
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The typical material used to make katanas is known as "tamahagane", a special type of steel made from black sand...Other materials in modern quality katanas are also used, mainly carbon steel, which is known for it's strength and lightness, but is still just as expensive...No matter the material, the construction is what makes a katana, which is a very specific and distinctive process still used today...
Old 2009-04-09, 01:57   Link #82
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Tamahagane is only used in 'true' katana though. The material is only created twice in a year, and it is considered a great honor to be allowed to forge a katana out of the tamahagane. Most of the mass-produced katana you see are made out of other materials.
Old 2009-04-09, 06:10   Link #83
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Tamahagane is only used in 'true' katana though. The material is only created twice in a year, and it is considered a great honor to be allowed to forge a katana out of the tamahagane. Most of the mass-produced katana you see are made out of other materials.
Precisely my point, so which material is stronger isn't really the case. I would rather get a katana forged out of the original material honoring the historical past of Japan. I would absolutetly not get one of those carbon steel forged ones, sometimes people in their houses have as display katanas.
Old 2009-04-09, 10:24   Link #84
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Between a classic-made katana and an expensive modern katana, I would rather get a carbon steel katana...Why? Because I want to use it on someone; I buy weapons for a purpose and not for display, such as self-defense in the home...A tamahagane katana would be too priceless for me to go "Kirisute Gomen" on an intruder, but that's just me...

Anyway, back on topic...

I always hated playing Amy on Sonic Adventure...I don't know why; She was so stupid because having to go through a level was painful with her, since she could hardly run fast, and her only attack was with that dumb mallet...Fighting Zero was painfully more annoying as Amy than it was fighting Chaos as any of the other characters...

At least playing Big was more fun since you got to fish as him...
Old 2009-04-09, 13:02   Link #85
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

He was the worst character ever made into computergames:

I truly despised that guy, back when I was a kid. He always ruined my game, and it's not even possible to defeat him .
Old 2009-04-09, 23:53   Link #86
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Anyway about the traditional katana vs modern katana bit. Mythbusters have told us that modern katanas are weaker.

Modern katanas are probably hammered the same way as normal swords, just hammered into the shape of a katana. They are just strong carbon steel and break smilarly to carbon steel subjected to impact.

But traditional tamahagane katanas are hammered and folded thousands of times to get thousands of layers and given extremely strict treatments to make it much more flexible and durable. It also takes several weeks to hand sharpen the blade with precise sharpening stones to get a flawless blade.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-11, 11:53   Link #87
kyousukey

Eghhh any character that are based on movies or the latest cartoon shows that were the game has been rushed because that movie or cartoon is popular because the gameplay is rushed and crappy.
Old 2009-04-13, 16:39   Link #88
Justin Kim
*Artist

It's the same thing as all Hollywood games that are released after or before a movie. For instance, Harry Potter. NOT A GREAT GAME. But hey, I guess if your a die hard fan of the Harry Potter trilogy and want to spend 50-60 bucks on some disc at a local electronics store, go for it. But really those kinds of games are just pointless releases in my opinions. I have never seen any hollywood released/based game that has gotten a good commentary upon IGN or gamespot. Overall, it's just that the voice actors are sometimes different, gameplay is completely bland, and the graphics/audio just plain suck overall. Even if it's on a PS3, modern PC spec, or Xbox360.
Closed Thread