AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-03, 06:41   Link #21
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan
Episode 20 was really cute and sweet..it had the feeling I felt lacking from the season openers that I felt they were going for.
Next ep, is an anime original..this could be a big hit or a total miss..no idea how it's gonna work out. The final four episodes could be an anime-original closing arc for the series (if they decide not to OKAY a third season).
Unfortunately, the TV broadcast (TBS, BS-i) for Aa Megamisama Sorezore no Tsubasa will end at episode 22, as confirmed by Inoue Kikuko (Belldandy) herself at the TBS Festa, where TBS will air the previously unaired episodes 25 and 26 from the first season DVD on September 21 and 28 to fill the timeslot.

This is strange considering that xxxHOLiC, airing back to back on TBS, will fully complete its 24 episode run.

Since the AMG second season DVD release has been announced as 8 volumes (with 3 episodes each), I suppose they will make DVD proprietary episodes just like the first season, albeit as a sidestory.

My prediction is that Sorezore no Tsubasa will end up with a Keiichi x Bell closure, although any further announcements of the Megami-sama franchise is welcome.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Old 2006-09-03, 07:49   Link #22
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Unfortunately, the TV broadcast (TBS, BS-i) for Aa Megamisama Sorezore no Tsubasa will end at episode 22, as confirmed by Inoue Kikuko (Belldandy) herself at the TBS Festa, where TBS will air the previously unaired episodes 25 and 26 from the first season DVD on September 21 and 28 to fill the timeslot.
What a sad news... Are there any descriptions for the last two episodes then?
Old 2006-09-07, 20:58   Link #23
sunny_ta
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to sunny_ta
Quote:

That sucks. :/

Would it be likely at all that a 3rd season would arise? I'm hoping so, since it's a shame that the manga has so much left to cover.
Old 2006-09-08, 09:10   Link #24
happyfoosball

Send a message via AIM to happyfoosball
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_ta
That sucks. :/

Would it be likely at all that a 3rd season would arise? I'm hoping so, since it's a shame that the manga has so much left to cover.
I don't know much about the production companies in Japan but it would seem like it would depend on the ratings wouldn't it? I know that when they made the first series and ended it after 6 episodes a lot of people kind of second guessed it, and thought that there should be a longer animie series. Then this one eventually happened. I really think because of the popularity of the series that if they don't do a third season, they will regret it in 2 or 3 years, come back and do it then. EIther that, or they will start over again.
Old 2006-09-08, 22:25   Link #25
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfoosball
I don't know much about the production companies in Japan but it would seem like it would depend on the ratings wouldn't it? I know that when they made the first series and ended it after 6 episodes a lot of people kind of second guessed it, and thought that there should be a longer animie series. Then this one eventually happened. I really think because of the popularity of the series that if they don't do a third season, they will regret it in 2 or 3 years, come back and do it then. EIther that, or they will start over again.
Basically, late night anime is aired on a production committee (seisaku iinkai) basis, wherein the affiliated parties (DVD/CD distributors, animation studio/publishing company, etc.) fund the production costs, purchase the TV station slot-time (which would be late night as it would be a non-expensive local broadcast), and find sponsors (usually themselves). In this case, the broadcasting station is usually not included in the production.

TBS is actively involved in contributing to production of late night anime, the AMG series included, but ratings are not a determining factor for the termination of a late night show, or the basis of a sequel for the following reasons:
1. average station ratings are tabulated between the time frames of 6 AM-12AM
2. late night anime are catered to their delineative targeted audience
3. time-shifting, in timer-recorded VCRs or DVD recorders, is not counted

Here are the referential ratings for both AMG seasons (second row is the first series, bottom row is the second series as of ep 17) by episode count:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12  13 14  15 16 17 18  19 20 21  22 23  24
3.1/1.6/2.5/2.9/2.4/2.1/2.1/2.3/3.2/2.3/2.1/1.7/2.0/2.6/2.4/2.2/1.9/1.5/2.5/2.4/2.1/1.8/1.2/3.2
1.4/2.5/1.4/2.0/3.4/1.6/2.4/1.5/2.3/2.0/0.8/1.9/1.7/1.2/1.9/1.7/1.7/

For a show airing at 2AM, these aren't shabby numbers, especially with the World Cup being held during the second series.
However, in comparison to the first series, the numbers for Sorezore no Tsubasa are generally lower, a sign that fan interest is waning.

Sequels of late night anime are usually based on DVD sales of the first series, provided they have sufficient material to cover the story.

DVD sales for the first series of AMG was 82,460 copies (see bottom table for breakdown) spanning 9 volumes, for an average of 9,162 DVDs per volume, which is just above the sequel contingency line.

The initial sales for the first two volumes of the second series was 6,178 and 5,556 copies respectively, which despite its still early tabulation, is a considerable drop.

If these figures are an precursor of future sales, TBS and Bandai Visual may have second thoughts about producing a third season, no matter how much material they still have.

DVD sales for Aa Megami-sama first series
Vol. 1 10,037 
Vol. 2 10,511 
Vol. 3 *9,898 
Vol. 4 *9,501 
Vol. 5 *8,986 
Vol. 6 *8,628 
Vol. 7 *9,024 
Vol. 8 *8,668 
Vol. 9 *7,207

Old 2006-09-09, 01:08   Link #26
sunny_ta
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to sunny_ta
I see. That was a quite detailed explanation and really shed some light over the matter. Hm. The way it looks it may be true that a 3rd season would be rather unlikely...

I shall still hope for the best. Interest don't look to be fading terribly fast..
Old 2006-09-09, 09:25   Link #27
happyfoosball

Send a message via AIM to happyfoosball
Quote:
Basically, late night anime is aired on a production committee (seisaku iinkai) basis, wherein the affiliated parties (DVD/CD distributors, animation studio/publishing company, etc.) fund the production costs, purchase the TV station slot-time (which would be late night as it would be a non-expensive local broadcast), and find sponsors (usually themselves). In this case, the broadcasting station is usually not included in the production.

TBS is actively involved in contributing to production of late night anime, the AMG series included, but ratings are not a determining factor for the termination of a late night show, or the basis of a sequel for the following reasons:
1. average station ratings are tabulated between the time frames of 6 AM-12AM
2. late night anime are catered to their delineative targeted audience
3. time-shifting, in timer-recorded VCRs or DVD recorders, is not counted

Here are the referential ratings for both AMG seasons (second row is the first series, bottom row is the second series as of ep 17) by episode count:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12  13 14  15 16 17 18  19 20 21  22 23  24
3.1/1.6/2.5/2.9/2.4/2.1/2.1/2.3/3.2/2.3/2.1/1.7/2.0/2.6/2.4/2.2/1.9/1.5/2.5/2.4/2.1/1.8/1.2/3.2
1.4/2.5/1.4/2.0/3.4/1.6/2.4/1.5/2.3/2.0/0.8/1.9/1.7/1.2/1.9/1.7/1.7/

For a show airing at 2AM, these aren't shabby numbers, especially with the World Cup being held during the second series.
However, in comparison to the first series, the numbers for Sorezore no Tsubasa are generally lower, a sign that fan interest is waning.

Sequels of late night anime are usually based on DVD sales of the first series, provided they have sufficient material to cover the story.

DVD sales for the first series of AMG was 82,460 copies (see bottom table for breakdown) spanning 9 volumes, for an average of 9,162 DVDs per volume, which is just above the sequel contingency line.

The initial sales for the first two volumes of the second series was 6,178 and 5,556 copies respectively, which despite its still early tabulation, is a considerable drop.

If these figures are an precursor of future sales, TBS and Bandai Visual may have second thoughts about producing a third season, no matter how much material they still have.

DVD sales for Aa Megami-sama first series
Vol. 1 10,037 
Vol. 2 10,511 
Vol. 3 *9,898 
Vol. 4 *9,501 
Vol. 5 *8,986 
Vol. 6 *8,628 
Vol. 7 *9,024 
Vol. 8 *8,668 
Vol. 9 *7,207
That sound about right too me. In the end, it's about money. What I wish they would do is take this series and put on the back burner for a year or two because i'm telling you, by then people will need an ah my goddess fix. Ratings and dvd sales would go back up to season 1 numbers.
Old 2006-09-10, 02:39   Link #28
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Thnx again for the info, eggplant.
AMG is actually MORE popular in the states than in Japan, soo..if this aired on tv here, I bet we'd have 5+ seasons,but sadly it's abit more of a cult favorite in Japan..
Old 2006-09-10, 21:48   Link #29
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

for EP 17.

I really enjoyed the singing bit. I wish there was a really long version of it, could listen to it all day.
Old 2006-09-10, 22:20   Link #30
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
for EP 17.

I really enjoyed the singing bit. I wish there was a really long version of it, could listen to it all day.
Yeah me too. Here's hoping the that song goes into the OST.
Old 2006-09-11, 00:51   Link #31
tripperdan99

Thanks EggPlant for the insight of how the gears work. That was valuable and appreciated. I'd gotten addicted to AMG half way through season one. Guess if they end at season two I will do like I had to do with Ai Yori Aoshi and get all the mangas.

td99
Old 2006-09-11, 10:28   Link #32
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Talking

Episode 17 was great! 10/10 I'd neverI would have thought Hilds comming would be so good in the Anime Version. They changed the plot quwit well

*hugsHild*
Old 2006-09-12, 02:07   Link #33
aikming

I'm a bit doubtful on what eggplant said on the number of TBS episodes but we'll see in a month's time.

I was a bit sad when I couldnt find the demon & goddess song in the AMG sorezore no tsubasa OST that I have. There's one more CD which has not been revealed. I'm not sure if they could make another OST album and they had 2 drama CDs already, It shouldnt be a single. Nevertheless, I do hope that the song in episode 17 will be in that "unrevealed" album.

Episode 22 will be an original!!!
Old 2006-09-12, 09:18   Link #34
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikming
I'm a bit doubtful on what eggplant said on the number of TBS episodes but we'll see in a month's time.
What is the basis for your skepticism?
If you need concrete evidence, I have personally scanned from the October issue of Newtype Magazine what TBS will be airing on September 21 and 28 for AMG Sorezore no Tsubasa.

Old 2006-09-12, 09:47   Link #35
aikming

Quote:
What is the basis for your skepticism?
If you need concrete evidence, I have personally scanned from the October issue of Newtype Magazine what TBS will be airing on September 21 and 28 for AMG Sorezore no Tsubasa.
My basis for skepticism was no proof until now. What you had said is justified. Thanks.

Now I wonder why keiichi parent are pictured in the opening and ending??????
Old 2006-09-14, 09:15   Link #36
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I'm a bit behind but must admit Hild is the hottest thing on two legs.

Spoiler:

I realize the series is ending sooner than it could but I suspect the
fan interest was waning since it does tend to deviate a bit from the
K1/Bel' relationship a little too much. People like to see forward
progress.
Old 2006-09-14, 10:07   Link #37
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

That's the end?It didn't feel like one at all.I hope there's a 3rd season so we can see the Whelsper saga.I'd also like to see more races with the auto club,it would be awesome to have the Keichii VS Sora race animated!

But anyway I did like the singing part of this episode.
Old 2006-09-15, 17:09   Link #38
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
The final episode was abit..odd..Here's to hoping the two OVA episodes are REALLY good.
Old 2006-09-15, 18:15   Link #39
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Weird, it looks like the ovas' are from the first season since I have all the 1st season DVDs.
Old 2006-09-16, 11:49   Link #40
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

They are going to show S1 OVAs on TV instead of making eps 23 and 24 for this season. And then there will be two new episodes which will be available only on DVD.

And the episode 22 was horrible, I'd say.
Closed Thread