AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-10, 17:47   Link #201
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Ichikawa was the best opponent Akagi faced. Washizu has his premise and his own mahjong to scare the shit out of his opponents, but he isn't really even good - he just plays his own game.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 23:36   Link #202
Yttrasil

No there is a more simple beauty to the game in ep 21 than you guys seems to know =)

The thing is, if he's waiting for that 2mansu he was waiting for he would get a point since he then had 2 similar straights. If he decides to wait for a 3 or a 6 mansu he has to declare riichi to be able to win. The beauty of it all is considering he knows Washizu has a 1 and a 3 mansu he declared riichi with the 1 mansu which makes washizus 1 mansu safe to deal. He's waiting for a 2 right, but also if he gets any tile that his companion has in the circle suit he will win right away or so.

But by having Akagi say riichi and waiting for a 3 mansu washizu cannot change his wait for anything but a 1 or 3 mansu since Akagi will then win when he discards it thus preventing him to win in any way except by having Washizu get that last 3 mansu by a trumo. Quite hard to explain when you havn't played the game but i have to say that play was just awesome!

AKAGI!
Yttrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 00:23   Link #203
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Can someone explain how he won by 'head bump?'
Old 2006-11-11, 02:50   Link #204
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

In Mahjong, (well, Taiwan style is what I know) when two people claim the same tile for a Ron, the one sitting in front (basically, the one who the person winning can call a chi from) is the winner.

So whichever side you're sitting on does matter in Mahjong.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 10:32   Link #205
eris_sama

Yea! I actually predicted the outcome when I saw they were waiting for the same tile. Play goes counterclockwise, so since Akagi came before Washizu, he had first claim to the winning tile.
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 18:40   Link #206
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Triad just released Akagi - 22. Only four more episodes to go!
Old 2006-11-16, 21:48   Link #207
Yttrasil

Yay this is a great thing as always to wake up to!!! soon gonna watch the Akagi madness

So how about the manga, does that one continue after the anime so you can see the Akagi that rules the underworld etc maybe it would be worth trying to translate that one ne.

AKAGI!
Old 2006-11-16, 22:04   Link #208
EevilJ

Akagi Ep 22
EevilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 18:53   Link #209
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's an expository episode, where Akagi (once again ) shows his genius ... :V
Old 2006-11-18, 01:30   Link #210
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Akagi is truly scary. While it is true that the best gamblers play their opponents, not their cards (or tiles), Akagi takes that to a level where psychology becomes mind control.

He was dealt a losing hand from the beginning, but since he knew that he used the power of suggestion to make his opponent turn it into a winning hand. freakin' scary!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 03:09   Link #211
ddraggy
Abnormality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrasil View Post
So how about the manga, does that one continue after the anime so you can see the Akagi that rules the underworld etc maybe it would be worth trying to translate that one ne.
As far as I know, Akagi's at Volume 18 and still fighting Washizu It's the night that never ends! Ah well, at least Akagi's having the time of his life.

Translating Akagi sounds painful, but if anyone's up for it, I'm pretty good at... English

Interesting religious imagery in this episode.

Spoiler for image in ep 22. Not huge spoiler, but...:

I wonder if the manga has the same kind of imagery going on?
ddraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 04:18   Link #212
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

No, the anime hints at Akagi being a god. He is one in Mahjong.
Old 2006-11-24, 11:04   Link #213
Yttrasil

INSANE INSANE INSANE this is the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE, god i cannot believe this happened. TRIAD I LOVE YOU!!!!

Now off to watch it, man awesome.
Old 2006-11-24, 11:09   Link #214
Zappster

In case you don't get what Yttrasil's so happy about, Triad have just released the last four episodes to complete the series. Time for me to watch it now I guess
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 11:16   Link #215
zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrasil View Post
INSANE INSANE INSANE this is the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE, god i cannot believe this happened. TRIAD I LOVE YOU!!!!

Now off to watch it, man awesome.
Totally AGREE !!!!!! LOVE TRIAD !!!

Off to watch !!
zka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 13:01   Link #216
Yttrasil

Yeah but it was probably quite obvious, i thought of mentioning it though =)
Anyway watched them all and i must say it got better and better for a great climax with a kinda disappointing ending in a way. SO WHERE IS THAT MANGA If anyone has it or so I wanna give it a try to translate it, or something.
Old 2006-11-24, 19:34   Link #217
Megablargh

Akagi

It was kind of disappointing that they ended it that way. It was getting really good with the new plot twist. Triad must've been bored out of their minds with the repetitive dialogue, "Kill,killkillkill,kill" and "This draw = death".

So, the manga is still ongoing?
Megablargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 19:56   Link #218
sabret00the

really disappointing ending, but bloody fantastic series. i adored it.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 00:37   Link #219
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraggy View Post
Spoiler for image in ep 22. Not huge spoiler, but...:

I wonder if the manga has the same kind of imagery going on?

Based on all the paintings in his room and his rideculous imagination of Akagi,I just thought Washizu was a fan of Biblical movies out in those days..(like 10th Commandment,Ben Hur..) I personally thought that scene was quite funny.Well he's rich,he must have seen some foreign films..I think.

Talking about comic books,as ddraggy mentioned,the Akagi comic is still going on,still fighting Washizu(yea,and for almost 10 years!). This year Fukumoto finished up his other manga works and is focusing on Kaiji and Akagi...I dearly hope he will wrap up the Washizu arc at least til December 2007...

And those of you who saw the last episode,seriously...I'm quite positive there WILL be a season two.Just look at the very last scene.
Spoiler for last scene for episode 26:
Or maybe Sato Yuzo is just teasing us..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 00:39   Link #220
ddraggy
Abnormality

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the anime couldn't finish the Washizu match. The manga isn't finished yet, so I guess it's better to end the anime like that rather than make up some filler.

Still, it was a great ride! Episode 25 rocked.

Hey, sukreih, did Akagi do the same crazy thing with the bowl (ep 26) in the manga?

~ ddraggy

Last edited by ddraggy; 2006-11-25 at 00:43. Reason: sukreih responded better :)
ddraggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, mahjong, seinen