AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-20, 02:32   Link #2481
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Hiramaru; a farce to the very end, and that's the way we love him.
Old 2011-12-20, 02:36   Link #2482
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm happy for them.

About the covers: Zombie Gun's looks a lot more shounen-ish than Reversi's, doesn't it? I mean, a bare-chested bishounen like that... Shouldn't it be for josei or something?

Is it just the old fans, or does ZG have more reread value?
Old 2011-12-20, 02:55   Link #2483
Kafriel
Senior Guest

ZG is more fun. Its art is more light, it's full of action and has a branching plot. Reversi's art makes it more serious and the story may be depressing - it's a brothers' war after all.
Old 2011-12-20, 06:40   Link #2484
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm happy for them.

About the covers: Zombie Gun's looks a lot more shounen-ish than Reversi's, doesn't it? I mean, a bare-chested bishounen like that... Shouldn't it be for josei or something?

Is it just the old fans, or does ZG have more reread value?
looks alot like zetman to me (seinen iirc)
Old 2011-12-20, 08:43   Link #2485
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This chapter was so incredibly sweet <33

I remember first shipped Aoki with Nakai (back when he wasn't a jerk), then Fukuda, then Takagi... and in the end, the one that got her is that lovable loser Hiramaru.

I too am not that excited by Ashirogi and Niizuma's battle. My interest in their rivalry has dwindled over time. I'm curious to find out why the difference between Reversi and Zombie Gun's third batch is so gargantuan though.
Old 2011-12-20, 08:53   Link #2486
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^i'd take a dozen hiramaru chapters over the main story line tbh =///
funny how the authors created such a well liked side character
btw i found a lesser version of Bakuman is Shoujo format (well the story's mainly about drawing manga, but with little to almost no insight + translations are relatively bad, it's incredibly funny nonetheless)
=> Everyone that enjoy the comic relief in Bakuman should give GDGD-DOGS a try aswell
Old 2011-12-20, 09:10   Link #2487
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I'm curious to find out why the difference between Reversi and Zombie Gun's third batch is so gargantuan though.
Crow was a huge success, even if Eiji's current title is competing for 1st place, remember for how many years he's been running exclusively in the top 5, as well as his bet to finish off crow, which gave him consecutive 1st place for many weeks. With such a reputation, it's only natural that he'd be selling hundreds of thousands more copies than your average mangaka, however good. Kinda makes you wonder how many copies Crow sells...
Old 2011-12-20, 09:39   Link #2488
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^it's fairly simple tbh, the demand for zombie gun was simply higher than for reversi (people that wanted to buy zombie gun were by far more than the ones that wanted to buy reversi after the first batch, thus given the larger reprint quantity due to popular demand) + ZG most likely sold out way faster => demand + sale speed/frequency (since i dun study economics i dno the correct term which the english language uses here) = given (re)production rate for items
the questionnaires don't reflect the tankoubon sales 1-1 take a look at TLR e.g. or other titles that do fairly well due to tank sales (magico was a recent example iirc)
Old 2011-12-20, 10:49   Link #2489
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

The amount of volumes sold is more important compared to the rankings in questionnaires. The genre and story-type probably also has a huge weightage in sales as generally people prefer mangas that are easy to understand and follow.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:23   Link #2490
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^i can very well imagine certain manga not making it to the top 3 of most ppl's questionnaires (mostly because they had another top3, but there are occasionally some that most people don't want to vote for -> TLR), yet they buy every volume of the mangas they actually liked not just the 3 they voted for on a certain week.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:46   Link #2491
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Crow was a huge success, even if Eiji's current title is competing for 1st place, remember for how many years he's been running exclusively in the top 5, as well as his bet to finish off crow, which gave him consecutive 1st place for many weeks. With such a reputation, it's only natural that he'd be selling hundreds of thousands more copies than your average mangaka, however good. Kinda makes you wonder how many copies Crow sells...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
^it's fairly simple tbh, the demand for zombie gun was simply higher than for reversi (people that wanted to buy zombie gun were by far more than the ones that wanted to buy reversi after the first batch, thus given the larger reprint quantity due to popular demand) + ZG most likely sold out way faster => demand + sale speed/frequency (since i dun study economics i dno the correct term which the english language uses here) = given (re)production rate for items
the questionnaires don't reflect the tankoubon sales 1-1 take a look at TLR e.g. or other titles that do fairly well due to tank sales (magico was a recent example iirc)
That doesn't really explain the pattern 300,000 --> 100,000 --> 900,000 though. Why did the sales jump so high in the third week in particular, not immediately following, in the second?

I think what we have to assume here is that Eiji managed to tap into some sort of non-Jump readership which Ashirogi Muto didn't, via word of mouth after the initial release. Either that, or (given that Crow's tankoubon sales were actually a similar figure, around 1.5 million) it could be something dumb like Niizuma fans waited until they were sure Zombie Gun lived up to Crow's quality.

Incidentally, mangas usually recieve cosmetic touchups when they go to their tankoubon versions. For series like To Love-ru, that can be a significant factor in that there's even some uncensoring involved. Series with a stronger focus on art (i.e. ecchi, maybe dynamic action as well) may be more subject to this "best version" factor moreso than ones with a primary draw in the story (such that as long as you already know what happens, changes in the art don't really matter). I dunno.
Old 2011-12-20, 13:02   Link #2492
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^it pretty much does : lessay they both sold out the inventory for the first week rather quickly, yet the demand by the customers at the certain bookstores was higher after the first week.
People that hadn't bought it yet, or other people that saw the tankobon being read by one of their friends suddenly wanted to buy them though => astronomically higher demand for a reprint at bookstores => bookstores ordered more reprints for ZG

seems pretty logical to me =/ they started off with the same volume number on week 1 given their fairly close questionnaire results (they dont have any other means beside the overall popularity of the authors due to previous works), but they didn't take the popular demand of ZG into consideration that would ensue after printing too little for week2. Could easily be that they sold another 100K volumes in like 2-3 days and the hotlines were running amok demanding way moar prints of ZG.
Old 2011-12-20, 13:07   Link #2493
Sol Falling

Week 2's printing was already higher than Ashirogi Muto's, though, so obviously there is some element of responsiveness to demand there. I think you basically have to assume some sort of change in the level of demand itself, which is best explained by word-of-mouth (but then you have to explain why word-of-mouth demand was higher for Zombie Gun than for Reversi).
Old 2011-12-20, 13:34   Link #2494
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^as i said, ZG most likely sold out way faster, and the requests for a new print badge just kept storming in and piling up for week 3.
well since anything's possible in bakumaniverse i'll take the off chance aswell and say smth unprecedented happened
Old 2011-12-20, 14:24   Link #2495
Xagzan

You done good, Yoshida *sniff*

You done good.

Anyway, guess we're back to the Reverse x Zombie fight. Even if the second batch of Zombie sold out extremely fast, though, I still think the jump to 900,000 is extremely curious and unusual. Why not 400k? 500k? But 900 just doesn't seem natural to me.

Even more curious is that no one's yet made a 900,000 joke
Old 2011-12-21, 02:56   Link #2496
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post

Even more curious is that no one's yet made a 900,000 joke
Well 900,000 is hundred times over 9000
Old 2012-01-14, 03:34   Link #2497
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
Just read 162:

A chance for Bakuman to finally come to an end!
Their "dream coming true" doesn't necessarily mean the series will come to an end. Hell, they just said in this very chapter that even after that dream comes true they'll keep working towards even bigger goals.

And even though I feel the series kind of drags sometimes, I definitely wouldn't want it to end once their dream comes true. There's just so many interesting scenarios that can come out of them getting and dealing with an anime adaptation.
Old 2012-01-14, 04:18   Link #2498
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Their "dream coming true" doesn't necessarily mean the series will come to an end. Hell, they just said in this very chapter that even after that dream comes true they'll keep working towards even bigger goals.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I said this is a "chance" for the series to end. In other words, it is nothing more than a possibility. Never did I say the series will necessarily come to an end.

And what you said works both ways. Just because the characters continue to work towards bigger goals doesn't mean the series cannot end. In fact, if you look at popular shonen manga that have ended successfully (not dropped), they all have open-ended endings. It holds true even for series like Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.

Bakuman can certainly end even though the characters are "working towards even bigger goals."
Old 2012-01-14, 04:20   Link #2499
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:

And even though I feel the series kind of drags sometimes, I definitely wouldn't want it to end once their dream comes true. There's just so many interesting scenarios that can come out of them getting and dealing with an anime adaptation.
True enough, but let's not forget that Bakuman moves in a very realistic timeline. Mashiro and Takagi have already spent years on their manga career, it can't go on much longer...okay, Takagi's married and successful (since his goal was making manga), but Mashiro's single and still without having achieved his dream; if Reversi doesn't get an anime, he won't get another chance for a year or so.
Old 2012-01-14, 04:21   Link #2500
Valky
Radioactive

Let Mashiro and Azuki get married already for god's sake!
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen