C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Can you tell what it means?
ポチはん ゆるして ブルブル あるよ
Hint: Po - Cz - Hun - Yu - Ro - Bul - Al

However I think students in other countries employ similar techniques; otherwise, how can they remember?
Hmmm I understand those countries in your hints. But I can't make out anything from the hiragana except for buruburu being 'shivering' and aruyo for 'have'. I don't know what's pochihan and yuroshite lol

Here in Singapore, most people only know 3.142 some 2.236 and nothing else lol. I've never been taught special ways to remember numbers or specifically told to remember any number besides pi. Since we rely much on calculators in higher or advanced maths.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 08:16   Link #42
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
One of the most famous Magyar in Japan is P. Frankl, and he writes how advanced the mathetical education in Magyarország is. Seeing their achievements in IMO, I have an impression that Magyar people really are Math lovers. Is it Math that is torturing you or any other subjects? I hope you manage this year well.
Please, in an english forum, stick to the english name, aka "Hungary", as you stick to "Japan" instead of "Nihon". It's good to see, that somebody knows the real name of our country (because it has little to nothing to do with the Huns... except they were hungarians too, just they separated from the main tribes, and came here, then ceased to exist; when the other tribes arrived they were gone. And I'm was named after Attila the Hun...).

Yeah, I know about that, and yes, they teach Math intensively here. It's not just math, hungarians invented a lot of things, like Television, PC (Neumann János), the Nuclear Bomb and it's brother, the Hydrogen Bomb (Teller Ede), the hologram, the ball pen, etc, etc. It's called the Hungarian Miracle.

Math is always torturing me, but now I made it in the exam. What is torturing me is one of my engineering subject. In Hungary in most high schools we have to learn a trade. My parents sent me to an engineering school, despite that I hate engineering, as I am a humanities person. School changing is not possible.

Ok, enough about me. It's off topic, right?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 11:24   Link #43
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Btw, do Japanese students establish their own club like in anime/manga?
Yes. For example, Hideaki Anno, the director of Evangelion, established an anime creation club in his high school days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Hmmm I understand those countries in your hints. But I can't make out anything from the hiragana except for buruburu being 'shivering' and aruyo for 'have'. I don't know what's pochihan and yuroshite lol
It describes a situation that a Chinese girl speaking Osaka-dialect is chased by a mad dog named Pochi. -han is a honorific in western dialects, and Chinese often make grammatical mistakes like nai-aru because they are used to the expression "没有". Do not take it seriously. The point is, it is employed to understand the north-to-south order of the states. For the same purpose, some people associate Ellery_Queen with Baltic states; エ [Es] ラ [La] リ [Li].

Yes, calculators are very helpful. From the viewpoint of pure necessity in daily life, such memorisation may be totally pointless. Rather students have fun to create the memorising phrases. After graduation, such knowledge become good seeds of humour.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:54   Link #44
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
ポチはん ゆるして ブルブル あるよ

However I think students in other countries employ similar techniques; otherwise, how can they remember?
Japanese Mnemonic Devices are so ingenious, I've memorized the entire sequence by just reading it once. The one where you include the entire periodic table is a story by itself

American ones are really lame in comparison: Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

Each of the starting letters represents a mathematical operation in sequence for the order of operations in basic arithmetic (Parentheses Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction).
Old 2008-08-05, 16:33   Link #45
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
USA. It's that big country between Canada and Mexico, on the other side of the Atlantic.
but why Nabajo, I don't get it
Silly Karu doesn't understand
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 16:47   Link #46
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's a Native American tribe. See the movie "Windtalker". Their tongue is famous for having been used in a code during WW2.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 00:10   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'll still occasionally see it typed as the old spelling "Navaho" rather than "Nabajo" ... actually, I more often see it typed "Navajo". The "b" and "v" sounds are pretty close approximations.

They were one of the largest tribes of original peoples in what became the US.
Old 2008-08-06, 05:22   Link #48
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
I feel English pi poem admirably sophisticated.

"May I tell a story purposing to render clear the ratio circular
perimeter-breadth, revealing one of the problems most famous
in modern days, and the greatest man of science anciently known."

Although there are many in Japanese too, they are not so beautiful like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
but why Nabajo, I don't get it
Silly Karu doesn't understand
As Anh_Minh and Vexx explained, it is one of the languages of indigenous Americans. I meant it being an example of languages that do not belong to Indo-European family and are considered to be difficult for those with European backgrounds to master. I should have chosen Basque / Euskara as clearer sample.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 09:14   Link #49
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
As Anh_Minh and Vexx explained, it is one of the languages of indigenous Americans. I meant it being an example of languages that do not belong to Indo-European family and are considered to be difficult for those with European backgrounds to master. I should have chosen Basque / Euskara as clearer sample.
Or maybe Hungarian. Despite that Hungary is in Europe, our language is not in the Indo-European family, and almost impossible to master by the other europians. It's works vice-versa too, as I learned english for 10 years, and I still cannot remember where to use which tense.
However, Japanese is more easier to us, it's grammar is more like ours, we write our name in the same order, our languages are more... "soft" while Indo-European languages are very strict, and such. I can't speak japanese yet, but my brother mastered it in three months.
And oh yes: There is no such language what a hungarian speaking man cannot pronounce. Maybe, except the bushman language.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 01:38   Link #50
halt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Do all schools require students to do chores before and after school?
If "chores" mean cleaning or sweeping their classroom, corridor, toilet or something, the answer is no.
To focus on study, some schools exempt their students from chores however most schools require it.
halt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:33   Link #51
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
For ionisation tendency,
かそうかな まぁ あて に すんな ひどすぎる しゃっきん
(Should I loan to him money? Anyway I cannot trust him; the debt amount is too bad)
K > Ca > Na > Mg > Al > Zn > Fe > Ni > Sn > Pb > H > Cu > Hg > Ag > Pt > Au

same here in Vietnam

Khi can Nang May Ao Zap Sat Nhin sang Pho Hoi Cua Hang A Phi Au

but in Alberta, Canada we can use the standard Mendeleev table in test and it already has those information, so no memorization is required.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 03:57   Link #52
oompa loompa

Quote:
I think it might be better to append the thread to Japanese Culture.

Besides, such technique is often applied to non-decimal data.
For ionisation tendency,
かそうかな まぁ あて に すんな ひどすぎる しゃっきん
(Should I loan to him money? Anyway I cannot trust him; the debt amount is too bad)
K > Ca > Na > Mg > Al > Zn > Fe > Ni > Sn > Pb > H > Cu > Hg > Ag > Pt > Au

ポチはん ゆるして ブルブル あるよ

Thats lucky.. i remember in the 10th or 11th grade ( cant remember exactly..) my chemistry teacher gave me and a few of my friends detention because we hadnt done the ionization tendencies properly. oh the horrors of chemistry im so glad i switched to humanities before we started organic.

I find that these techniques do help a lot initially, but in the long-run, application is the best method
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 22:00   Link #53
nujaves
Native engrish speaka

Quote:
I have a bunch of questions about what school is like in Japan?
Here some info those not on Wiki from my experiences (I use to go Japanese public Jr high school)

Quote:
About what percent of japanese schools have swimming pools and require their students to take swimming classes?
It`s part of PE class. Well I skipped them most.

Quote:
Do most schools have flat roofs that students are allowed to go on?
Not allowed to go on, they usually locked. but we made some tool call "Master key" for open tha doors and go on anyway. The roof top is one of hiden place. Other are back yard of gymnasium, porch, emergency staircase. Those where people eat lunch, skip class (for hide), sleep, skate, and smoke cigarette/weed.
Oh yea, they have 保健室( hoken-shitsu/nurse`s room?) the best spot for sleep.

Quote:
About what percent of schools require their students to wear uniforms?
Most of them, but free school. well...after 8th grade, we start customize uniforms. Girls make skirt shorter, change hair colors, wear hoodi and stuf.

Quote:
How rare is it to see a teacher throw chalk at a student?
Thats one of seven mysteries. However, I heard some teacher got skiil of it, just like sniper.

Quote:
Do students really have to memorize square root values of non-perfect squares in math class? (The square root of 2 is 1.4142 for example.)
I dun no what you guys talkin about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Btw, do Japanese students establish their own club like in anime/manga?
Basically, yes. but you have to find adviser/teacher and pass 生徒総会(seito-soukai/student`s congress). Some A hole always start yell and try to stop establish new clubs or break up small clubs(they just do it for fun or act like togh and smartass) so you gotta fight them to protect clubs.

Hit fire alarms- we do it just for fun

Jackin announce room- they have broadcasting/announce club and they DJing music at lunch time. but thay always select classic music (I like classic music now) or read some bord stories which is nobody listen. so me and
friends use to jack announce room, then brast off Nirvana, NOFX, RATM stuf loud.

And....whatelse...oh ya, in class room, we usually able to sit wherever you want sit. but best place is back and window side, teachers can not see the conor. You can read manga, play games, send E mails, sleep, and growin imagination. The Haruhi`s seat!

Those things by 公立中学 kou-ritsu public school. I don`t know about private school. and please not forget, if you bust for smoke, or drivin scooters without licence, you will get suspend or kick out.
nujaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 11:29   Link #54
FireChick

I have a question. Does school start in April and end in December? Or does it start in September and end in June like schools here in America? That's what I wanna know.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 13:40   Link #55
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
As far as my semesters went:

April start, finish late July.
(Summer holidays = middle of academic year)
Mid sep start, tiny christmas break then 2 weeks of exams in january.

Then loooooooooooooooooong ass spring break from late jan-april.

Then, it begins again.
Graduation ceremonies tend to happen in late march/early april too to catch the sakura blossoms (well my old uni did)
It' usually occurs before new school year begins.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 18:00   Link #56
Autumn Demon
~

Do Japanese schools have auditoriums? I usually see students gather in gymnasiums for ceremonies and such in anime...
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 18:16   Link #57
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Do Japanese schools have auditoriums? I usually see students gather in gymnasiums for ceremonies and such in anime...
The gymnasium is a combined sports hall with basketball courts, badminton courts, gymnastics apparatus etc. But it also has a stage to hold ceremonies and events, students just sit on the floor. If its an event that invites people to the school, chairs are arranged across the entire hall to provide seats for guests.

High schools do have auditoriums though.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 22:06   Link #58
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Do students really have to memorize square root values of non-perfect squares in math class? (The square root of 2 is 1.4142 for example.)
You pretty much end up memorizing a fair few of those in Calculus anywhere in the world D:
Old 2008-12-08, 22:56   Link #59
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Mainly depends on three things:

1 Size of the school's land
2 How rich the school is
3 School population

If it has small land, it's impossible for the school to have both an auditorium AND a gymnasium. In fact, the proper name for it is "sports hall".

If the school has not enough funds, the school wouldn't build an auditorium, right? And if school population is too small, it's not worth the time doing so. Then again, my middle and high schools were sharing facilities with an university (which I later moved on to), so we never had this problem.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 02:00   Link #60
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
You pretty much end up memorizing a fair few of those in Calculus anywhere in the world D:
Not really. I only had to learn the square root of 2. (In France.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote