AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-11, 22:03   Link #441
Raiga
tl;dr

I actually greatly enjoyed the tree story. I dunno how to put it into words... something about the tradition of it, and more than anything the sense of family, of belonging. When Daikichi said Rin's tree was the same kind as his, something about that really moved me.

Also, Rin is remarkably responsible for someone her age. I love how at the end Daikichi and Kouki were grumbling at each other and Rin's just standing there going, "... we're gonna be late."
Old 2011-08-11, 23:21   Link #442
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with Reck that this was the weakest episode so far... but that's kind of like saying that a 80 is the worst grade out of two 95s, a 90, two 85s, and a 80.

80 is still a very good grade, and Episode 6 was still a very good episode.

Usagi Drop has actually had a fair bit of plot activity from Episodes 1 through 5, so I'm fine with this episode being almost entirely lighthearted, heartwarming, and relatively uneventful.

I hope we see an episode that's a bit more eventful next episode though.

A few general observations:

1. It was good, actually, to finally see Daikichi snap a bit at Rin, during moments of frustration. One criticism I've read of him on a couple anime blogs is that Daikichi's level of patience was bordering on superhuman, and was threatening the realism of this anime. So it was good to see that Daikichi, as admirable as he is, is nonetheless a fallible (and thus relatable) human being.

2. Man that Kouki kid is annoying. I guess it's good for the anime to remind its viewers that not all kids are mature little angels like Rin is, lol.

3. The tree narrative was cute and heartwarming, yeah. It's very good for a "slow down" episode. But still, I hope for something a bit more eventful next episode.
Old 2011-08-11, 23:50   Link #443
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually liked this as much as any episode so far. It was understated and focused on seemingly minor aspects of Daikichi and Rin's experience, and in my view that's this series at its best. Last week was trying a little too hard for my taste.

Kouki is a personal taste, I guess. I think he's hilarious.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 00:07   Link #444
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I don't agree with the notion that this ep should be considered "weak" simply because nothing 'exciting' happens. Shouldn't the episode be critiqued on the particular event that it presents? Well, that's my opinion anyways.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 00:38   Link #445
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well weak for Usagi is still pretty good. Though I'm just honestly assessing that I felt this episode wasn't as great to me as the previous. It's not a knock against this episode as being a bad one, just that I noted that the lack of certain elements contributed to a less overall satisfying experience.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 05:45   Link #446
Kirarakim

I really liked this episode. I thought the tradition of planting a tree is so neat and wish my family had done something like that for me. Ah well!

I also enjoyed the scene of Rin eating Cereal fir the first time.
Old 2011-08-12, 07:25   Link #447
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I loved this episode just as much as the previous ones. It was full of those little moments that makes me wonder who the real adult is - Rin or Daikichi. Rin's already very mature for age, no doubt it was because of the influence of Daikichi's granpa. He seemed like a very wise old man, the kind I can't really see having an affair with his young maid. I'm a bit surprised Daikichi hasn't tried to confirm who Rin's father is with Masako - not that it matters much at this point, I think he already loves Rin as family (so do his parents).

The tree tradition is a lovely one. Kinda wish I had my own tree, too...

I loved the comedy in this ep as well, particularly the little segment after the ED. Kouki may be a little brat, but he's a good kid nonetheless.
Old 2011-08-12, 11:55   Link #448
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kanon, if the thought occurred to me and many other viewers/readers, it surely occurred to Daikichi as well - he's a smart guy. My theory is, he'd rather not know whether Grandpa is the real father because it could only make a difficult situation even worse.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 12:53   Link #449
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Funny, because episode 6 is by far the best i've seen from the series. Interesting how different people work.
Old 2011-08-12, 16:13   Link #450
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've not said anything here because Usagi Drop has been piling up in my queue.... Finally got a moment and watched the first two episodes. I think this and Ikoku Meiro are my top two series of the season.

The setup is Yotsuba&-like but more serious and she's a such a quiet little thing Love the background watercolor styling. Looking forward to catching up now.
Old 2011-08-12, 19:18   Link #451
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kanon, if the thought occurred to me and many other viewers/readers, it surely occurred to Daikichi as well - he's a smart guy. My theory is, he'd rather not know whether Grandpa is the real father because it could only make a difficult situation even worse.
Agreed.

Rin obviously had a very tight bond with Daikichi's Grandpa, considering him her father. That's the main reason, after all, why she didn't want to change her last name.

I think it would be very upsetting for Rin, at this juncture, to discover that her biological father was not Daikichi's Grandpa, but somebody that's a complete stranger to her.

It's best, at least for the foreseeable future, for Daikichi and Rin to just work off of the assumption that Rin's biological father was Daikichi's grandpa.
Old 2011-08-12, 20:23   Link #452
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
... curious to know how is this show doing among the female viewers? Judging from the posting in this thread, most of the viewers in this thread appears to be male... and who are also smitten by Daikichi.... not that there is anything wrong with it. Definitely not questioning manliness Male viewes are mostly appear to be attracted by how Daikichi's has handled himself with Rin thus far. Daikichi's interaction with Rin and how Rin is interacting back is also the other attractive aspect about this show. So I'm curious to see if the ladies are finding this show attractive also and from which aspect of the storytelling.
Wife-unit hasn't watched it yet or I'd give her view... maybe I can corral her this weekend.
Old 2011-08-13, 03:38   Link #453
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
The Usagi Drop ED is made by Gekidan Inu Curry aka SHAFT workers. So that's why it looks familiar.
Wish you didn't say that, now I can't get Madoka out of my head!

Don't make a wish with Lop Ear, Rin!!!
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 03:49   Link #454
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wife-unit hasn't watched it yet or I'd give her view... maybe I can corral her this weekend.
Will be lovely to hear her thoughts on the series.
Old 2011-08-13, 05:10   Link #455
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm with the people that loved this episode like the previous.

Didn't know about the tree tradition , i liked it
Kouki is hopeless yeah but he cares about Rin ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 06:14   Link #456
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

[mod edit: removed reply to now-deleted comment]

Anyway, I still think that the anime will only show the first year of Rin and Daikichi's life together. The ED animation sequence, the way it has changed to match the seasons, has me convinced. It switched to spring at ep6, which is the midpoint of the series, and it had begun with autumn. Also, the way they drew out the going to school scene with Rin and Kouki in episode 6.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-08-13 at 14:30.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 12:32   Link #457
ookamigirl

Awwww Rin started elementary school ^^
That Kouki kid sure is acting out.
I really like the idea of planting a tree to commemorate important events in your life.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 13:18   Link #458
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The tree segment was brilliantly done. A real pity that the episode was kinda ruined by that Kouki kid..... I think they should just stick with Rin and Daikichi bonding, that is the clearly winning formula here

If it's only Rin and Daikichi (as the main focus, others characters can develop in the background) then i won't mind a 52 cours non-stop of Usagi Drop
Old 2011-08-13, 19:27   Link #459
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

naw you have to have an annoying kid there or it isn't a real slice of life show. I mean come on we all had someone in childhood we just found annoying yet we all somehow just ending up being partners in crime with...
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 19:40   Link #460
LKK

I guess I'm in the minority. I really like Kouki. I don't find him annoying in the least. I like his spunk.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance