AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 38.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.14%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-26, 12:51   Link #281
Sentrovasi

I'm only posting (signed up just to post my two cents on this topic, really) because episode 7 provoked me into doing so. The many theories about what might've happened are so remarkably diverse that anything I say can't do much harm. But I'll wrap spoiler tags around everything from here on down because I can't be sure if my ramblings will trundle too far in there or not... something which will inevitably happen anyway.

Spoiler for my impressions about sola.:

... And that's all I have to add at the moment. I've probably got a few other loose thoughts at the back of my head, but those are likely more trivial.
Old 2007-05-26, 12:57   Link #282
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentrovasi View Post
Spoiler for my impressions about sola.:
The last part was a little fishy.. =)
You see in the flash back she wasn't a Yaka yet.
Old 2007-05-26, 13:19   Link #283
Sentrovasi

Possibly, I guess.

Everything I've written is just a whole lot of possibilities: I kinda think they shared some kind of sisterly relationship in the past, even if they seem to be more of rivals now; possibly from the close relationship they seem to have (Matsuri reviving her and her confession and everything).

It's probable she wasn't a Yaka and my hypothesis is moot. It's apparent that she isn't afraid of the sun, and it seems to have been common knowledge at the time that all Yaka are nightwalkers... so yeah. Just... a possibility =/
Old 2007-05-26, 13:59   Link #284
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

You see that once Matsuri revives her she gets her hand scorched in the sunlight, so Aono indeed can't stand sun.
Old 2007-05-26, 22:17   Link #285
Sentrovasi

Guess I wasn't looking carefully enough, then >_<

I only noticed Matsuri's hands burning. Ah well. Unimportant side-track destroyed.
Old 2007-05-27, 03:09   Link #286
JediNight
キズランダム

Sentrovasi: Oooh you crank up the chill factor on Yorito not being human. Assuming Aono's major power is to control/give life to *inanimate* objects .... Aono controlled him in this episode of course. Not good.

Although I don't think they've positively identified if her blood controls only inanimate things, or just anything it touches.
Old 2007-05-27, 03:31   Link #287
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [Lunar]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep07:
---- ----
  • Even with the absence of Matsuri, Aono was still losing out when it came to Yorito. In the beginning that is. As the days went by, their lives stabilised.
  • Had flashbacks of Nayuki when Aono uttered, "Usotsuki... (Liar...)" Now I just need her to go, "USO DA!" or "MATSURIIII!" so that I can add her screencaps to my collection.
  • For a friendship that only started three months ago, Mana is very supportive of Yorito. To the point where she had to suffer from gossip from her classmates. I wonder what kind of issues will Mana have in the game? Jest aside, Mana is excelling in her role as a support character. Lending her presence without detracting from the main plot.
  • The relationship dynamics between Aono and Koyori continue to grow in this episode, and it is very warming to see the kinship between the two of them. It strengthens my belief that Koyori will play a pivotal role in saving Aono from her self-destructive obsession. She has to! If this series ends with Koyori not playing a part in Aono's rescue, I will feel very cheated of my emotional investment and robbed. Ep04 will also be cheapened in meaning if they do not play out this dynamic in full.
  • The missing vending machine is a symbolism of Matsuri's missing presence?
  • One thing I noticed in this thread is that most posters were so focused on Aono's misdeeds in the closing minutes, that they failed to acknowledge the good she did in the first half.

Again, this has mostly to do with the bond between her and Koyori.
    1. When Yorito lost his temper and started yelling at Koyori, Aono took a protective stance in front of Koyori as she tried to calm Yorito down (take note of Koyori's reaction to Aono's sudden presence in front of her).
    2. When Yorito left the scene and Koyori started to break down, Aono proceeded to comfort Koyori.
    3. Aono acted as the mediator between Koyori and Yorito. The 10-day popsicle deal.
    4. This one is different in that it did not involve Koyori. Aono apologised to Yorito for taking down his photos. When one is willing to take responsibility for one's action, it means that there is a chance (no matter how slim) one will redeem oneself in the future.
  • Yorito is not very appreciative of Mana, is he? The girl cooked for him and generally made sure he wasn't living like a hobo for three months, and he complains about her mooching breakfast for only over a week or so?
  • More golden dynamics between Aono and Koyori when Koyori shows she is willing to "betray" her sister's "dirty little secrets" to Aono. Goes to show where Koyori's loyalty lies.
  • There shall be much maniacal laughter if Sae's ravings turn out to be prophetic and Matsuri was really Takeshi's lover. Yeah right.
  • Given the context of the promise between the two of them, it would seem that Aono felt betrayed by Matsuri, hence her increased irrationality.
  • At the end of Ep07, I found it difficult to even TRY to "hate" Aono. I do not agree with her methods, but her motives were seldom "impure". She is capable of genuine caring, and the different dynamics between her, Koyori and Yorito serves to show this. She even goes so far as to frequently invite Mana to her home, so the "theory" of her being compulsively jealous just does not hold water.

There has to be something DIFFERENT about Matsuri's case that makes Aono so worried. The way I see it now, Matsuri may have been the one who caused Yorito's death (indirectly or not). It would help explain why Aono chose to commit suicide in front of Matsuri instead of doing it in privacy, because she wanted to guilt Matsuri with her death as well.
Onwards to Ep08!

Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-05-27 at 21:31. Reason: Grammar Correction.
Old 2007-05-27, 03:54   Link #288
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Oops in wrong thread.

So that means I have to post something now.

I agree that Mana is the strongest supporting character. Her deductive and rational reasoning and putting things in action is the best of any female in this series. A model support second only to Mishio Amano from Kanon 2k6. That would make this hard to see what her game path would be like. She's got it all together basically.

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-27 at 04:21.
Old 2007-05-27, 21:06   Link #289
4Tran

This is another very solid episode of sola. This is quickly turning out to be one of the best shows of the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Had flashbacks of Nayuki when Aono uttered, "Usotsuki... (Liar...)" Now I just need her to go, "USO DA!" or "MATSURIIII!" so that I can add her screencaps to my collection.
Aono also uttered one of the more memorable "Doushite"s in the last little while. It's not quite as good as the one in Noir, but it's up there.

Quote:
For a friendship that only started three months, Mana is very supportive of Yorito. To the point where she had to suffer from gossip from her classmates. I wonder what kind of issues will Mana have in the game? Jest aside, Mana is excelling in her role as a support character. Lending her presence without detracting from the main plot.
<SNIP>
Yorito is not very appreciative of Mana, is he? The girl cooked for him and generally made sure he wasn't living like a hobo for three months, and he complains about her mooching breakfast for only over a week or so?
I agree. I think that the relationship would be better if Mana turned out to not have any romantic interest in Yorito at all.

Quote:
The missing vending machine is a symbolism of Matsuri's missing presence?
It got removed because its best customer is now buying her fix goods in convenience stores.

Quote:
At the end of Ep07, I found it difficult to even TRY to "hate" Aono. I do not agree with her methods, but her motives were seldom "impure". She is capable of genuine caring, and the different dynamics between her, Koyori and Yorito serves to show this. She even goes so far as to frequently invite Mana to her home, so the "theory" of her being compulsively jealous just does not hold water.
I think that it's quite possible to like a character despite not liking said character's actions. This is very much my impression of Aono.
Old 2007-05-27, 21:30   Link #290
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
~
It got removed because its best customer is now buying her fix goods in convenience stores.
~
What "best customer"? Repair bills aside, Matsuri got all her shots for free. If anything, she's their "worst customer"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
~
I think that it's quite possible to like a character despite not liking said character's actions. This is very much my impression of Aono.
Aye, I will agree heartily with this. There has been a lot of anime characters in which I was mortified by their actions, but I still sympathised with them.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-27, 21:56   Link #291
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
What "best customer"? Repair bills aside, Matsuri got all her shots for free. If anything, she's their "worst customer"!
Best customer, worst customer, what's the difference?

Quote:
Aye, I will agree heartily with this. There has been a lot of anime characters in which I was mortified by their actions, but I still sympathised with them.
I find that this I do this much more when I read books than anime, but it's not all that uncommon. It's also the reason why a lot of people like villains as well.
Old 2007-05-28, 00:19   Link #292
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
The missing vending machine is a symbolism of Matsuri's missing presence?
Yeah. A kind of closure as well. When Yorito saw that it was gone, he stopped trying to find Matsuri.

Quote:
Given the context of the promise between the two of them, it would seem that Aono felt betrayed by Matsuri, hence her increased irrationality.
It wasn't Matsuri's fault, though. She tried to stay away; it was just a tragic accident that she ended up in the same store as Yorito. Like I said before, Nagasaki is a large city. Two people can, if they want to, go for a long time without seeing each other in a city that size. But that would be boring, so the writers arranged for this convenient coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I agree that Mana is the strongest supporting character. Her deductive and rational reasoning and putting things in action is the best of any female in this series. A model support second only to Mishio Amano from Kanon 2k6.
I disagree about the comparison. Amano was merely a mediator with very little direct influence on Yuuichi. Mana is a true contender for Yorito's heart, even if they're still in the passive stage. Mana shows a deep concern for Yorito's well-being, and he is comfortable sharing his inner feelings with her.
Old 2007-05-28, 00:45   Link #293
Skane
Anime Snark

If one wishes to compare supporting characters between sola and Kanon, a better companion for Mana will be Sayuri. Both are side-characters, but both are not irrelevant to the series; and they remain on stage till the end (well, for Sayuri at least. We will need to wait and see how Mana fares in the future episodes to come).

At present, both are the epitome of being a best friend without needing to descend into a romantic relationship.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-28, 09:38   Link #294
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Wow, this series is getting confusing fast.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-06-21, 12:05   Link #295
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Always loved watching "date" episodes and this episode of sola was no different. Loved that Aono and Yorito actually spent time together, as it reminded me that Aono is "human". And the ending to me was one of the memorable parts of the entire series. Another great episode from one of my favorite series.