AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-07-08, 17:39   Link #13441
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
The three strongest culprits all have something which separates them from the rest of the family, while Jessica is a fairly average teenage girl.
...Which would at least make her the unexpected culprit.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:42   Link #13442
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No the most unexpected culprit would be the elementary school girl Maria to be honest. And if she really was all Ryukishi would have to say is: "Well the stories were all signed 'Ushiromiya Maria' the whole time and she was one the most knowledgeable people on the occult. You should've expected this twist was coming.".
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:46   Link #13443
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
No the most unexpected culprit would be the elementary school girl Maria to be honest. And if she's really was all Ryukishi would have to say is: "Well the stories were all signed 'Ushiromiya Maria' the whole time and she was one the most knowledgeable people on the occult you should've expected this twist was coming."
Hey, this isn't Crooked House. Maria simply doesn't have the opportunity (or, like Kumasawa, the strength) to commit most of the murders. I mean, sure, she could be the mastermind, but I don't see anyone listening to the orders of a psychotic nine-year-old.

Jessica, at least, has both the means and the opportunity to be behind several murders, especially in Ep2, like I keep stressing.
Old 2010-07-08, 17:50   Link #13444
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Unexpected yes, but also an illogical one. She appears to lacks the characteristics to lead a group of people to kill, so for her to be the culprit, she'd have to be the sole culprit, something I dismiss due to it's impossibility. And out of all the characters, she's one of the few that don't seem to cling to the reasonable motives for murder. She doesn't have the desire for money that the adults have, she doesn't hate all of the family, only the adults when they're squabbling for money, and she has no reason to be jealous (unless Shkanon is true, in which she'd be jealous towards both George and Battler) to the point of killing. However, she has shown to be willing to kill if she feels threatened (and possibly when very annoyed, if we're to take her Falcon Punch scene from Episode 6 to have any merit of truth). So I place her as a very possible assistant.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:53   Link #13445
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Hey, this isn't Crooked House. Maria simply doesn't have the opportunity (or, like Kumasawa, the strength) to commit most of the murders.
...And Beatrice apparently doesn't commit them, but wants to be blamed for them.
And Maria elects to be the kid bullied in school to save the other kids in class.

?

Beatrice != Culprit.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:53   Link #13446
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
She appears to lacks the characteristics to lead a group of people to kill, so for her to be the culprit, she'd have to be the sole culprit, something I dismiss due to it's impossibility.
About her lacking leadership skills... isn't she the council president of her school?
Old 2010-07-08, 17:54   Link #13447
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Jessica, at least, has both the means and the opportunity to be behind several murders, especially in Ep2, like I keep stressing.
I'm certain she's dead in EP2. Like I keep saying Battler said he checked to see if she was dead himself just like he did with Shannon in Natsuhi's room. And in the other episodes she's almost always under Battler's supervision. The only times she has a decent chance is in Episodes 4 and 5 and that's mostly because of the phone calls. I doubt she can even be the Beatrice behind the letters most of the time because she's always with Battler and the cousins during that time.

Also Crooked House is another Agatha Christie book and Ryu's a Christie junkie. Your not helping your case very well.
Old 2010-07-08, 17:54   Link #13448
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think that Hideyoshi would be a lot less unexpected as a culprit than Jessica.
I don't think I've ever seen a serious theory about him being the culprit before.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:56   Link #13449
Oliver

Quote:
I doubt she can even be the Beatrice behind the letters most of the time because she always with Battler and the cousins.
Considering that it's very likely for the First Letter to originate long before the game starts (while Kinzo is alive, even) and be written by either Kumasawa or Genji (the suspicious use of "Kinzo-sama" that only Ronove and Virgilia use) Jessica doesn't have to do that, either.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-08, 17:57   Link #13450
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

He has so little development that it's kind of hard to assign any sort of motive to him. He also has the disadvantage of being a First Twilight in two out of the first four games. Most serious culprit theories deal with someone who did not die immediately in at least two games.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:58   Link #13451
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
About her lacking leadership skills... isn't she the council president of her school?
I was under the impression that was something pushed on her to do by Natsuhi. From my judge of Jessica's character, she'd rather do something like a sport or join her school's light music club than be on the council.
And being on it does not indicate her ability. For starters, we're never told the quality of her job as president. Second, a council is exactly that: a council. The members work together to determine a plausible solution or idea, then the president is the one who presents it. They may have some importance while on the council but their secondary job is the figurehead of the council.
Old 2010-07-08, 17:59   Link #13452
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
He has so little development that it's kind of hard to assign any sort of motive to him. He also has the disadvantage of being a First Twilight in two out of the first four games. Most serious culprit theories deal with someone who did not die immediately in at least two games.
Or in Rosa's case, often dies early with suspicous circumstances.
Old 2010-07-08, 17:59   Link #13453
Oliver

Quote:
Second, a council is exactly that: a council. The members work together to determine a plausible solution or idea, then the president is the one who presents it. They may have some importance while on the council but their secondary job is the figurehead of the council.
That very much depends.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-08, 18:00   Link #13454
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think that Hideyoshi would be a lot less unexpected as a culprit than Jessica.
I don't think I've ever seen a serious theory about him being the culprit before.
I completely agree, but I don't know if Ryukishi could write anything about him that isn't boring. Unless he's Yakuza of course. He just doesn't have much back story. His character is essentially Nanjo if he was in love with stories about war time.
Old 2010-07-08, 18:00   Link #13455
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

That's right Hideyoshi goes practically unnoticed, but that's exactly what an author that aims for the "less expected culprit" would try to do.

However I don't think ryuukishi would do that.

Old 2010-07-08, 18:02   Link #13456
Tori626

Location: In the World where Fate and Probabilities can be visualised.
Hey, this came to my mind this afternoon but. Didn't Virgillia or someone say that the true master of the island was born 18 years ago? maybe the blonde from the portrait is the true master, considering she/he [can't really tell imo] has the eagle. I don't know. And maybe the guy is Witch-hunting Wright or her/his bodyguard? Just thought Id put m thoughts here for the fact i might forget them later,

Uryuu~!
Tori626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 18:06   Link #13457
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

That's 19 years
It's Shannon and Kanon that said that
And it's "master of the gameboard" not the master of the island.

Old 2010-07-08, 18:07   Link #13458
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I'm certain she's dead in EP2. Like I keep saying Battler said he checked to see if she was dead himself just like he did with Shannon in Natsuhi's room.
Battler has never seen a corpse before and there's no red declaration of her death at all.

Quote:
Also Crooked House is another Agatha Christie book and Ryu's a Christie junkie. Your not helping your case very well.
The culprit in Crooked House used poison and traps to commit her murders... the only murder that Maria could convincingly be the culprit of is the last three twilights in Ep1, and I somehow REALLY doubt there's a "Trap X" that can tear faces off.

Quote:
He's too nice and there are no hints pointing towards him.
Old 2010-07-08, 18:08   Link #13459
Tori626

Location: In the World where Fate and Probabilities can be visualised.
Oh. i see. I got to go back and re-play the games. Master of the gameboard? hm. alright then. well I did't expect my sort of theory thing to go so well on any rate. Though it makes you think on why he/she has the eagle and the guy dosen't.

Uryuu~!
Tori626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 18:09   Link #13460
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
That's 19 years
It's Shannon and Kanon that said that
And it's "master of the gameboard" not the master of the island.
Since Beatrice is 1000 years old from 6 years of torture couldn't BATTLER be 19 years old from 5 games of torture? We beleive BATTLER and Battler are essentially completely different people at this point right?