Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-11, 07:13   Link #221
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
That's why I said the physics make no sense in terms of the presentation in the story. The battlefront where Ralph was suppose to go to was 130 light years away. Hence, unless Sarah has been traveling close to light speed for ~130 light years, she should not be alive to hear about her brother's heroics at the front lines. The fact that she does hear about it means that from the pespective of the planet at the beginning of episode 1, at least 130 years have passed.

The main problem is that we really have no clue about the relative proximity among the locations. This normally wouldn't matter in sci-fi, since faster-than-light travel and demolishing theory of relativity takes care of everything. The fact that they didn't use that technique here, though, makes such things relevant.
I'm not sure you have interpreted what has been presented correctly. Before Ralph is about to leave, he talks about being promoted recently. In ep 1 when the academy guy is talking about Reasoner pilots and brings up Ralph, he looks exactly the same age as at the start of the epsiode, despite this being several years later. We don't know when the referenced battle took place - ie it could well be the battle that got him his promotion and lead to him being sent 130 light-years away.

ie, he became famous due to his efforts in the local area, and then is sent off long distance and hasn't been heard of since (until later in ep 1) because he was (supposedly) still in transit. But it looks like instead that he hadn't left the local area significantly (maybe his transport ship got hijacked or something)
Old 2006-11-11, 09:06   Link #222
kari-no-sugata

Some random observations / comments:

Spoiler for some LIGHT spoilers from ep3:

Some thoughts on ep4 preview:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-11, 09:21   Link #223
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post

Some thoughts on ep4 preview:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep 4 speculations:

Incidently, I may have missed something in ep 3 but what happened to the pendanto?
Old 2006-11-11, 09:45   Link #224
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I have been wondering about that too. Incidentally, the name of her mecha, following A Little Princess, is "Ram Dass".

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
An officer (I think) on the mothership Ralph is stationed on.

Quote:
Incidently, I may have missed something in ep 3 but what happened to the pendanto?
Seems to be well and truely lost.
Old 2006-11-11, 10:09   Link #225
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I have been wondering about that too. Incidentally, the name of her mecha, following A Little Princess, is "Ram Dass".

Spoiler:
I agree. This 'missed opportunity' would definately explain Lotti's fury. Looking forward to hearing an angry Yukana next ep

Quote:
Seems to be well and truely lost.
Puzzles me that there was no mention of it, considering the obsessive search Sara undertook to locate it. Of-course the one person likely to have it in their possession is the one person who appears to have died. Now if that person was not dead, and returned somewhat changed like Ralph the one way for Sara to identify her would be if she produced the pendant...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-11 at 12:26.
Old 2006-11-11, 12:22   Link #226
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Is it just me, or does Carrisford look like Cedric Mk.II. xD
Old 2006-11-11, 16:29   Link #227
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Puzzles me that there was no mention of it, considering the obsessive search Sara undertook to locate it. Of-course the one person likely to have it in their possession is the one person who appears to have died. Now if that person was not dead, and returned somewhat changed like Ralph the one way for Sara to identify her would be if she produced the pendant...
poor sara seems to have given up hope on that pendant but maybe its cause she is distracted by emily of this moment...
well if the "bitch" doesnt die i expect her to come back with 3/4 robotics inside of her

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-11, 16:32   Link #228
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
I agree. This 'missed opportunity' would definately explain Lotti's fury. Looking forward to hearing an angry Yukana next ep
Actually, it would be interesting to see just how much Sara wants "revenge" vs "understanding" (of why her brother defected). ie, if Ralph dies before she knows why he defected, she'll never find out.

This could lead to things like:
Spoiler:

Quote:
We already saw her try to find it in ep-2, and kind of gives up (which is why she breaks down at the end). Maybe Sara felt she's better off without it - ie, it is a weakness.

I doubt a certain someone is coming back. Never say never, but it just doesn't seem right in this case.
Old 2006-11-11, 17:08   Link #229
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Quote:
Actually, it would be interesting to see just how much Sara wants "revenge" vs "understanding" (of why her brother defected). ie, if Ralph dies before she knows why he defected, she'll never find out.

This could lead to things like:
Spoiler:
I don't think it's possible for Sara to contact Ralph in battle, because one of the commander said in ep.3 that they can't communicate with each other when they are traveling in the speed of light. That's why all the Strains are fighting on their own.
Old 2006-11-11, 18:04   Link #230
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFaSo View Post
I don't think it's possible for Sara to contact Ralph in battle, because one of the commander said in ep.3 that they can't communicate with each other when they are traveling in the speed of light. That's why all the Strains are fighting on their own.
Can't communicate long distance anyway. If you look at the scene from 17:50 to 18:10 or so, the two guys are talking, later joined by Lotti's side-kick. However, they're all in close proximity to each other at the time.

Anyway, Strain to Strain communications is possible. (Maybe under limited circumstances though).
Old 2006-11-11, 18:49   Link #231
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

In normal, close-quarters circumstances where they have to plan to defeat the enemy, Strains could communicate. Of course, they can't definitely do that at the speed of light.
Old 2006-11-11, 18:51   Link #232
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Some random observations / comments:

Spoiler for some LIGHT spoilers from ep3:
Sara does this in A Little Princess as well. Think of little girls playing pretend with their dolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
Now that's very amusing... So I wonder who they made out to be the monkey...
Old 2006-11-11, 18:54   Link #233
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Sara does this in A Little Princess as well. Think of little girls playing pretend with their dolls.

Now that's very amusing... So I wonder who they made out to be the monkey...

The mechanic's who else They already have the monkey wrench
Old 2006-11-11, 20:02   Link #234
The-Ghost
anime lurker

Spoiler for things i noticed in EP3:

EDIT figured out how to do the spoiler text

Last edited by The-Ghost; 2006-11-11 at 20:06. Reason: changed text, and spoiler tag
Old 2006-11-11, 23:30   Link #235
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Just watched episode 2, and I have to say it's pretty interesting now. Not that I have much to talk about, considering how you people are already discussing episode 3.

Love the ending and Sara's voice-over, though.
Old 2006-11-11, 23:42   Link #236
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's the problem when you're not proficient with Japanese.
Old 2006-11-12, 00:31   Link #237
meh

Quote:
I'm not sure you have interpreted what has been presented correctly. Before Ralph is about to leave, he talks about being promoted recently. In ep 1 when the academy guy is talking about Reasoner pilots and brings up Ralph, he looks exactly the same age as at the start of the epsiode, despite this being several years later. We don't know when the referenced battle took place - ie it could well be the battle that got him his promotion and lead to him being sent 130 light-years away.

ie, he became famous due to his efforts in the local area, and then is sent off long distance and hasn't been heard of since (until later in ep 1) because he was (supposedly) still in transit. But it looks like instead that he hadn't left the local area significantly (maybe his transport ship got hijacked or something)
Ahh, that would make sense. Anyway, I'll stop this discussion now... or the bad memories of Physics 3 last year might resurface. Quantum physics never was something I cared for much.

Just saw episode 3. Kind of average, but the preview for ep 4 looks promising. Just curious, how many episodes is this suppose to be?
Old 2006-11-12, 01:17   Link #238
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Thirteen.
Old 2006-11-12, 05:03   Link #239
JediNight
キズランダム

TheGhost: They are doing a fraction of lightspeed ... so if the battleship is going 0.995, then the Strain could go 0.999 and overtake them for example.

Otherwise: It's only an anime, don't think about it and think of the catgirls!
Old 2006-11-12, 14:22   Link #240
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Here's a few pictures of as yet to be introduced characters. One of which (Lavinia) is seen briefly in the OP:

Spoiler:

Are those name correctly translated? I was wondering if Ermengarde's surname should be Johannes as her character in 'A Little Princess' is Ermengarde St. John? Johannes being the Germanic form of John and sounds more suited than ANN's suggestion of 'Yunihatz'.

As Zalas mentioned here Lavinia and Ermengarde are characters in 'A Little Princess'. Lavinia Herbert is a spoilt rich girl who becomes a thorn in Sara's side and Ermengard St.John is Sara's sympathetic best friend in the book. A Martha (scullery maid) features in 'Secret Garden', also by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Maybe these roles foreshadow their roles in Strain...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-12 at 14:40.
Closed Thread