AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-27, 13:33   Link #3401
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am not sure anyone is denying that Obama is a great moderate Republican. And as such the real Left is annoyed with him.

In fact plenty of us openly say Obama is doing a bad job. In this very thread even.

I have no idea what alternate universe you mean when you say Obama isn't criticised. He gets criticised by both sides with both true and false accusation for the last 4 years and likely to continue.

It is not a conspiracy that Obama got re-elected; The GOP candidate is simply much worse in every way. It is not Obama's problem that his challenger doesn't cut it.

Hey, at least we are not the Georgia GOP who believe Obama has soviet mind control powers.

Obama had not been challenged because the opposition party doesn't really exist. Obstruction is not a substitute for policy. He is the only option because his party is the only ones doing anything. I would much rather Obama go MUCH more Left, but that just can't happen until the GOP become a real party again.
Old 2012-11-27, 13:52   Link #3402
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
As I've said so many times, I'm not interested in the propaganda from either side, I'm interested in the truth, and the truth tends to piss everybody off.
You and me disagree on what the "truth" is on more than a few topics. That said, I respect, to the extent your differing opinions are well reasoned, your viewpoints.

The issue now, however, is a small tendency of yours to dismiss other persons opposing views as simply being incorrect. Look at how you just referred to monir who only voiced a small amount of concern on the slant of your writings and who has on many other occasions agreed with your thoughts. People get upset by the "truth" but people also get upset by "opposing views" it seems.

The level of discourse in this thread has generally, albeit slanted in one direction, been of a high level of maturity and tolerance .. let's all keep it that way!

Fiscal Cliff: President Obama reaches out to rally public opinion behind his solutions to Congress's tax and spending crunch
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/fisc...iff-obama-live

Reply hazy, ask again later
Old 2012-11-28, 09:14   Link #3403
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

House committee chairs all men
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84293.html
Quote:
At the top of House committees, it’s a man’s world. Not a single woman will lead any of the major House committees in the 113th Congress.
After a day of meetings closed to the public, the House Republican Steering Committee announced an all-male slate of committee chairs, including 12 returning lawmakers who will head up some of the most important panels in Washington. The chairs for the House Ethics Committee and House Administration Committee have yet to be chosen, so a woman could end up in one of those slots.
Old 2012-11-28, 14:52   Link #3404
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
The GOP aren't the only ones who are bat-shit crazy.

Historically, leaders who form a cult of personality are usually the most horrible individuals to ever live.

The Sanctification of this post-(traditional) America president continues...

Old 2012-11-28, 14:56   Link #3405
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Not just men, but white men ... no women, no color. Just another clue they're on their way to the dustbin of history by pure demographics. The party demise would happen faster if it weren't for gerrymandered districts and the sheer pile of money the .01% have to spend.

Just to add icing is how few of those white men actually have a f'ing clue about the topics of the committees they've been handed. Many of them lack basic knowledge on the subjects.
Old 2012-11-28, 15:01   Link #3406
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aren't posting like that based at least partly on senority in the House? As in feather in ones cap for retirement and other things.
Old 2012-11-28, 15:16   Link #3407
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Aren't posting like that based at least partly on senority in the House? As in feather in ones cap for retirement and other things.
Unfortunately, yes - and both parties are guilty of that nonsense. I certainly spent enough years writing appointed "Dem" morons in various committees about 'stupid-head' ideas they spouted.

But pragmatically there should be some balance between feathering and best practice -- any group entity that purely fills positions by "good old boy" eventually gets bitten in the imaginary ass.
Old 2012-11-28, 16:01   Link #3408
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

it be nice if some of them "good old boys" retired at a reasonable age rather than being in the House or Senate until they are old and completely out of touch with their constituants. And mean how many Strom Thurmans do we need to sit in a seat for decades on end?
Old 2012-11-28, 16:05   Link #3409
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
You do not seem to have actually researched the "art" piece, nor have you tried to form any opinion beyond what the conservative blogosphere wants you to have. The artist himself is using the piece to show how (some) conservatives unnecessarily vilify liberals and the President (even going so far as to make it seem like all liberals are trying to sanctify Obama), so I find it quite amusing that you've done the exact thing the piece is mocking. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Unfortunately, yes - and both parties are guilty of that nonsense. I certainly spent enough years writing appointed "Dem" morons in various committees about 'stupid-head' ideas they spouted.
Did you hear about the "blow the moon up" scenario Brian Williams and the NBC Nightly News recently mentioned (here is another link for the supposed plan)? It was a Cold War show of Force set piece supposed to intimidate the world by blowing up the moon. Such a plan seems exactly like the science-phobes in Congress (especially all the individuals that seem to be placed on the Science committees )...
Old 2012-11-28, 16:16   Link #3410
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Did you hear about the "blow the moon up" scenario Brian Williams and the NBC Nightly News recently mentioned (here is another link for the supposed plan)? It was a Cold War show of Force set piece supposed to intimidate the world by blowing up the moon. Such a plan seems exactly like the science-phobes in Congress (especially all the individuals that seem to be placed on the Science committees )...
hear about it?

Vexx was probably in involve in it, especially the "go catch a Rabbit" part

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-11-28 at 16:39.
Old 2012-11-28, 16:33   Link #3411
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We were unable to acquire an Illudium-238 Space Modulator before the deadline.
Old 2012-11-28, 17:07   Link #3412
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What was it again? "On July 4th of next year, the United States will blow up the Moon".
Old 2012-11-28, 19:05   Link #3413
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
What was it again? "On July 4th of next year, the United States will blow up the Moon".
Since when is Piccolo in uncles Sam's budget?
Old 2012-11-28, 20:41   Link #3414
Lost Cause

Quote:
Yeah, Marvin the Martian was spotted in a roadside diner near area 51 a few days ago!
Old 2012-11-28, 20:48   Link #3415
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Yeah, Marvin the Martian was spotted in a roadside diner near area 51 a few days ago!
well he has to find his Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator before he can do anything.
Old 2012-11-28, 20:53   Link #3416
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
well he has to find his Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator before he can do anything.
Isn't that just an iPad?

(I mean, that is all the Nazis from the Farside of the Moon needed for their death machine)
Old 2012-11-28, 21:10   Link #3417
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Quote:
Isn't that just an iPad?

(I mean, that is all the Nazis from the Farside of the Moon needed for their death machine)
Hell I thought it was an oversized stick of TnT screwed into an oversized missile? Well I guess they're right, delivery IS everything!
Old 2012-11-29, 13:41   Link #3418
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Romney arrives at White House for lunch with Obama
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AS0X420121129
Old 2012-11-29, 19:41   Link #3419
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You do not seem to have actually researched the "art" piece, nor have you tried to form any opinion beyond what the conservative blogosphere wants you to have. The artist himself is using the piece to show how (some) conservatives unnecessarily vilify liberals and the President (even going so far as to make it seem like all liberals are trying to sanctify Obama), so I find it quite amusing that you've done the exact thing the piece is mocking. Good job.
That artist has some fantastic work. You can really tell where his influences come from, but it's also uniquely his own. I absolutely loved the Norquist painting and the corporate flag painting. Some of the other paintings are so perfect and iconic, I can easily picture them on the cover of Time. The hooded police officer and the three part collection of the elderly woman, the rich man, and the young girl in particular were amazing in so many ways.

And yes, flying missed the point of the picture by looking at it out of context. It's a social commentary on many levels, and it doesn't do it justice to look at it from just one perspective. A true sign of a great piece of art.
Old 2012-11-29, 23:23   Link #3420
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

flying, James is correct in so far as D'Antuono's intentions for that piece of art.
While I've no doubt he means for his art to be offensive to those he disagrees with, he claims that he didn't intend for people to assume that Obama IS Jesus or replacing Jesus Christ and said so to the HuffPost.

His exact words were:

“The crucifixion of the president was meant metaphorically,” he continued. “My intent was not to compare him to Jesus.”

D’Antuono blamed the controversy on conservative media “trying to promote the idea that liberals believe the president to literally be our savior.”

I agree with him that the conservative media went a little too far with this, however, I also understand that whether intended or not this piece does further the "diety" status of Obama in the eyes of idiots like Jamie Fox.
But it was not intended to be that way, and D'Antuono has the right to express his views.

Even Glenn Beck gets it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...on?showAll=yes

Personally I view the painting as in very poor taste because Obama wasn't crucified by anything other than the man's own words.