AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-30, 19:55   Link #5841
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

It's a doujin of a doujin franchise... At least, you can certainly think of it that way.

Bringing these spanish guys into question should also bring the doujin creators from japan into question - they obviously wouldn't pass everything by Ryuukishi, and they make some sort of profit.

And, as much as they have non-creative parts, they still have their own character designs and whatnot. Seems like there's some nitpicking going on just to "vilify" them in some way.

Just my 2c.
Old 2010-12-30, 20:21   Link #5842
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

A reminder: As long as people do not present "Umineko's story" modified by any means, it is fine.
In fact, 07th expansion never raised any objection towards fan made material, as long as they take responsibility for it (copyright etc).

The only problem -I- could have here is if they use any of the original BGM, opening, ending or inserted songs, assuming they are selling it or not putting the copyright to their respective composers.

That's all for it. Let's drop this subject altogether, as it really doesn't have anything to do with us or 07th expansion at all (and none of you have the right or position to accuse or defend them).
Old 2010-12-31, 20:51   Link #5843
CrimsonMoonMist

Is Ougon ever going to be translated?
it's got a lot of conversations for character specific teams and match-ups
and I'd also like to know what the endings are about.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 21:05   Link #5844
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

Maybe? There's a convenient folder in the game installation called STORY .... I wonder what that is ... As for the individual files, whether they're easily readable/editable?

That is to say, iirc, someone on the team said the translation of Ougon is dependent on whether or not its technically possible?
Old 2010-12-31, 22:18   Link #5845
xBTAx

Caught another 1-4 problem, but in the 2nd game this time. It's likely that you've already caught it, but just to be sure...
Spoiler:
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 22:52   Link #5846
Impossible

Normally I just ignore any typos/errors I see, as I figure they've probably been pointed out by others already, and will be fixed in a future patch. (Though I did e-mail a bunch of corrections for Ep 1 a while ago, I couldn't be bothered for Ep 2 because there were so many and the translation for it still needs to be fixed up anyway.) This, however, is an unacceptable butchering of language, and I will not stand for it.

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 23:58   Link #5847
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Normally I just ignore any typos/errors I see, as I figure they've probably been pointed out by others already, and will be fixed in a future patch. (Though I did e-mail a bunch of corrections for Ep 1 a while ago, I couldn't be bothered for Ep 2 because there were so many and the translation for it still needs to be fixed up anyway.) This, however, is an unacceptable butchering of language, and I will not stand for it.

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-02, 01:08   Link #5848
Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-02, 01:27   Link #5849
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think you are being too much grammar nazi considering this a dialog and not a narration.

It's as if you asked to change "Will do" or "No can do", because the correct English form requires a subject and an object.

Those are things that people commonly say in their everyday life, they are wrong, but it's not unusual to hear them. So the dictionaries correctly show both forms.

To sum it up:

It's a narration or description: you must definitely write it in a correct English.
It's a dialog: Idiomatic expressions are acceptable.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 03:23   Link #5850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's a narration or description: you must definitely write it in a correct English.
It's a dialog: Idiomatic expressions are acceptable.
While you make a good point, a lot of people (see google top results, as mentioned) will find 'could care less' to be extremely jarring. So unless for whatever reason the speaker's intention is to make his discussion partners cringe, I believe 'could care less' should probably not be used.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 03:32   Link #5851
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

I think the easiest way to settle this is for either someone on the WH team to come along and say "Ah, yes you're right" or, for someone to dig up the original Japanese and give a translation.
Old 2011-01-02, 03:55   Link #5852
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message View Post
While you make a good point, a lot of people (see google top results, as mentioned) will find 'could care less' to be extremely jarring. So unless for whatever reason the speaker's intention is to make his discussion partners cringe, I believe 'could care less' should probably not be used.
Well you and impossible are probably right. If there is no reason to keep this in a corrupted from and if it's so jarring, then it's probably better to change it. It's up to WH to decide anyway.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 08:41   Link #5853
Miss Mystery
The Dark Crow Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I posted this last time when EP7 was about to come out, but I thought I should post it again for EP8.

I use Translation Aggregator to lift the text out of Umineko and do instant dictionary look-ups. This can be a pretty good aid for people who have some basic understanding of Japanese grammar, but lack the vocabulary. People use these tools to run the text through automatic translators, although I wouldn't recommend that.

Note: Hongfire pages may not be safe for work, or at least their ads. At the very least you may get strange stares from co-workers or family; just get in and out quickly. 8)

Translation Aggregator (It comes with AGTH already)
http://www.hongfire.com/forum/attach...hmentid=175026

If you want to read the details on it's this thread: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94395

You will also need the EDICT dictionary
http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/edict2.gz <-- Save As to <Where you stuck TA>\dictionaries

Hidden for length:
Spoiler for How to hook up Umineko to Translation Aggregator:
Thanks so much for this! I'm slowly (but understanding everything now) getting through EP8. ^_^
Old 2011-01-02, 09:31   Link #5854
witchfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Spoiler:
Both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" don't stand up to logical scrutiny. For example, you can read "couldn't care less" as "I care to the highest degree, and could not care less".

By the way, ever heard of Crestfallen Studios?
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 10:47   Link #5855
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I heard that "I could care less" is from "I could care less, but not much."
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 16:58   Link #5856
Impossible

I can't believe I started such a big discussion on this. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchfan View Post
Both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" don't stand up to logical scrutiny. For example, you can read "couldn't care less" as "I care to the highest degree, and could not care less".
You could, but it wouldn't make much sense, and regardless, the phrase stands up to scrutiny just fine unless you try to alter the meaning. It's supposed to mean that it's not possible to care less.

"Could care less" is a corruption of "couldn't care less" and not an idiom that developed on its own with an alternative implied context.

Quote:
By the way, ever heard of Crestfallen Studios?
Yes. Do I know you? >_>
Old 2011-01-02, 20:20   Link #5857
witchfan

Well... I don't think you could say about any idiom that it developed on its own. The reason we read "I couldn't care less" as we do is because we're accustomed to it. Which is why I don't have a problem with "I could care less"; yes, it's a corruption, but if you think about it, most idioms are. But anyway, yeah, I think we're going off-topic here... let's leave this matter to the experts.

About Crestfallen Studios, nah, you don't. I've been reading that board for years and I just recognized your name (you made a post about Umineko there a while back, too). But I'm a lurker so I never actually posted anything. Glad to see I guessed right.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 20:27   Link #5858
ghost_zero5

Is Witch Hunt also going to translate Tsubasa or only Ep 8?
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 21:07   Link #5859
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
*sigh* This question again? Really, people?
Old 2011-01-02, 21:12   Link #5860
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Klash has implied they'll take a hiatus after Episode 8. But they've never said they wouldn't translate the other stuff or anything. (Knowing Chronotrig, I think he'll decide to translate it all from scratch though instead of editing the existing translations of the Tips.) He's also shown interest in translating the controls for Ougon if they get permission. They'll probably get to it when they can. Don't worry about it.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation