AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-02-04, 10:01   Link #1981
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

The "Go get him Tiger!" part was the translator taking a bit of liberty with that line. The actual RAW itself just says "Good Luck!" or "Do your best!" more or less.

Spoiler for 37:
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 10:24   Link #1982
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
IMHO Medaka Box "plot" is created by survey among readers what they want to read. Readers were complaining that there is not enough action - MB turned into battle manga. Readers were complaining that Zenkichi is just a lapdog - Zen started to be a badass. Readers were complaining that abnormals are too powerful and other characters are useless - abnormals weakness were shown, and some characters started to level up (Shiranui, Zenkichi). Readers were complaining that Medaka doesn't care/love Zenkichi - she suddenly fallen in love with him.

I've just read last 3 chapters. I was surprised how author could do what I wanted to read in a way which makes me irritated even more. I wanted to see Zen doing something and I wanted to see some development between Medaka and Zenkichi. Zen is main character in last 3 chapters, he is acting GAR. But it happened because he is turning into abnormal (making sonic boom by stepping or surviving multiple stabs is abnormal). I suppose most of shounen readers are delighted, but I started reading this manga because it was story about normal guy and special girl, not a story about two freaks.
Since beginning author was showing that Medaka doesn't love Zen, or that she "loves" everyone equally. I expected her to fall in love with Zen with time, but current development is, again, to sudden. I'm not complaining that she started to notice her feeling for him, but the way how it was shown. It was like a switch was turned on. Again, I expect shounen readers to be delighted. For me it looks stupid - which just proves that I'm the wrong reader
What I liked about last chapters is information that Medaka brother is responsible for flask plan. It explains a lot of things - for example why Medaka and Zenkichi are in this school or who is financially backing that experiment.
I understand you wanted something different, but... could you please stop using that?

Not the readers nor other external factors had any influence in the plot. Anyone could see from a mile that Zen was going to fight sooner or later, and yes, he always has been main character, no matter if someone tried to deny that. This manga was intended from the very beggining to be action/comedy packed, accept that already. In case you not, well, I can't prove my statement 100%, but same goes for yours In any case, the first chapter had Medaka running towards that gang and snatching their cigarette packs in seconds. By the time they noticed, Medaka already had her hands full of packs. If that's normal for you...

Btw, could you tell me when has Medaka fallen in love with Zen, please?

Now onto reading the new chapter.

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-02-04 at 10:47.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 12:58   Link #1983
Napoleon's Hat

Just read chapter 37, my reactions were pretty much the same as all of yours.

Spoiler for 37:
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 14:59   Link #1984
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Really liked 36, seeing Medaka crying over Zen is nice in a odd way.

I'm still laughing at the whole got swords stuck in my back but I'll deal with the chit chat and small stuff first

can't wait for 37 looks great especially with Medaka and Kikaijima
Old 2010-02-04, 20:36   Link #1985
Sol Falling

Was the bandage girl you guys are referring to Odou's (or whatever his name was; the king guy) servant? If so, we already knew she was a girl from what Zenkichi said when he met her earlier (her 'body' was soft, apparently).

I'm with _kurusu_ on how all Zen development/Medaka's emotions were planned on the beginning. Of course, those things aren't particularly exciting for me because they weren't things I was demanding in the first place, but I do think this was an obvious direction the manga would inevitably go in.

Speaking of Zenkichi and 'abnormality' though. Actually, the way abnormality is portrayed in this series, I don't think superhuman strength is inherently associated with it. Every 'abnormal' so far has been given a single specific 'abnormal' trait which distinguishes them, and if we are to go by the explanations the manga give to us that single abnormal trait is the source of all their abilities. What I'm trying to say here is, given what Zenkichi said about himself in chapter 36, it seems his abnormal trait either is or will be 'fear'. It remains to be seen how Nisio wants to play this (just btw, fear is a good trait imo; at least, I find the most primal form of it, fear of death, to be a sublime emotion) but some early hints suggest absurd preparedness/caution as well as perhaps a performance boost due to adrenalin. The point is then that I don't think Zenkichi being able to make the swords in the ceiling drop was a result of 'abnormal' or 'superhuman' strength; rather, given the 'caution' Zenkichi was highlighting about himself, it seems more plausible that Zenkichi kicked them into the ceiling in such a way that he would be more easily able to make them fall.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 21:15   Link #1986
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Was the bandage girl you guys are referring to Odou's (or whatever his name was; the king guy) servant? If so, we already knew she was a girl from what Zenkichi said when he met her earlier (her 'body' was soft, apparently).
Spoiler for Chapter 37:
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 21:27   Link #1987
Xion Valkyrie

Why can't the baddie just stay a baddie? I mean, would it kill the author to let the killer actually be a killer? Does every bad guy have to be reformed/redeemed?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 21:51   Link #1988
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 37:
lolwtf. So both the midgets are girls then, cool. I think. Thanks for the clarification anyway.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 22:41   Link #1989
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Why can't the baddie just stay a baddie? I mean, would it kill the author to let the killer actually be a killer? Does every bad guy have to be reformed/redeemed?
That depends. I wouldn't exactly call Unzen "reformed" or anything like that. At best, he is "out of commission" as they say so he isn't a direct threat atm. Although if Unzen busts down here and tries to help Medaka, then we can say he probably is. Although I actually expect Nabeshima to be the one to do that if anyone else is coming to help after Maguro came down.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 12:06   Link #1990
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lolwtf. So both the midgets are girls then, cool. I think. Thanks for the clarification anyway.
Is that mask guy confirmed as a girl? (I forgot)
Spoiler for 37:
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 12:16   Link #1991
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Is that mask guy confirmed as a girl? (I forgot)
Spoiler for 37:
Not confirmed, but Zenkichi seems to think so.
Old 2010-02-05, 13:42   Link #1992
Johnny
Working the bags...

Spoiler for ch 37:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 15:51   Link #1993
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
I'm really enjoying this manga. Read up to current. Its giving me the same feeling I had when reading Reborn for the first time, what with the genre flopping. Though I had a feeling it'd get turned into a more action oriented title at some point.

Strange as it is, Medaka reminded me a little of Rin from F/SN. What with her clumsy way of interacting with people, and that magnetic 'tyrant' personality that would irritate you, but you couldn't hate her for it. Kinda odd. She's not perfect, she tries hard to understand people but knows it might not always work, but she doesn't stop even though she might make a mistake. Its cute.

And Zenkichi is a good follow-up for her. Almost like a brake mechanism. But he's also a good buddy. So I can see why she is so attached. A good partnership there.

Gonna sit back and enjoy this one as a keeper from now on.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 12:37   Link #1994
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Spoiler for 37:
Old 2010-02-06, 13:31   Link #1995
Homura7

Spoiler for spoiler:

Apart from some ridiculous things, this is getting better and better.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 21:20   Link #1996
yongshun

LOL Medaka acting like a little child and Zenkichi is the annoyed parent. If the chairman wanted Medeka to join him all he had to do was bring her to that zoo.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 21:54   Link #1997
Xion Valkyrie

Anybody get reminded of this?

Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 22:35   Link #1998
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
If they announced it on TV, I see no reason to hide it on their website.

You can clearly see Gingitsune is scheduled for the 4th, and Psyren on the 5th, and no Medaka.

No offense against to that guy but I am usually skeptical against information with no linked sources.

And since he didn't post it, here's the rumored VA list, I couldn't find the blog that has a the date labeled to it anymore, but here are the links to the VA list.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/uri_sure/archives/51508759.html
http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/...1264498808/157

黒神めだか/豊口めぐみ
人吉善吉/神谷浩史
不知火半袖/加藤英美里
For all skeptics, the cover for volume 3 confirms it. I see the date February 5, so that could be it.

Old 2010-02-06, 22:48   Link #1999
Westlo
Lets be reality

You really can't blame people for being skeptical, I don't think any Jump manga has received a VComic that quick period.. and when no source was provided... believing things without a source is not the way to go about using the internet.

Really can't see this getting canceled any time soon.. seems like Jump has no series to go with atm and are just going to go with One shots for the next 7-8 weeks... than Hunter X Hunter stops running (10 week run only IIRC) and Neko Wappa can get cut and you have room for two new manga series. It just got a color page and was featured on the cover of Akamaru Jump Winter 2010. Manga sells over 100,000 copies and the 3rd volume will probably do 60-70k+ in its opening week...

But than again this is Jump we're talking about! I'll lmao if Ane Doki 2 sells over 100,000 copies and than crap like Shingami and Rilenthial don't even break 20,000 copies and get cut next anyway.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 23:05   Link #2000
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

I myself was a bit surprised that I saw it there.

Here's the vomic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF7dj24WdJE

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council