AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-01, 02:41   Link #1
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Arrow Oishinbo - The Gourmet

I just started downloading Oishinbo - The Gourmet ... and I just learned that this was an old show from the late 80's... I was wondering if anyone out there has info on this show? anyone seen it already?
Old 2004-06-01, 04:10   Link #2
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Man, they talking about exotic foods I have never even heard of like foie gras, it kinda makes me want to try them. And what anglers liver taste like? ^^

This show is quite educative if you into cooking or a food connoisseur.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 05:27   Link #3
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Man, they talking about exotic foods I have never even heard of like foie gras, it kinda makes me want to try them. And what anglers liver taste like? ^^

This show is quite educative if you into cooking or a food connoisseur.

foie gras = Duck Liver......... (It's French Dish.)
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 07:03   Link #4
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
foie gras = Duck Liver......... (It's French Dish.)
Goose liver, actually. It's a rather cruel thing, considering that the standard method of production is to shove a funnel in the goose's mouth and then force feed it a few pounds of grain per day in order to fatten it up.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 09:17   Link #5
kinniku_man
masked man

shikou vs kyuukyoku
good job!
kinniku_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 11:08   Link #6
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Goose liver, actually. It's a rather cruel thing, considering that the standard method of production is to shove a funnel in the goose's mouth and then force feed it a few pounds of grain per day in order to fatten it up.
Thanks for the correction! ^^iii
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 11:56   Link #7
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Well you need to be heartless toward your food ingredient if you want to cook them. I boiled live crabs. ^^

But I guess shoving a funnel to make them fat kinda cruel tho. It's first time I heard about this food. Is it like an expensive food in France? I only know escargot.
Old 2004-06-01, 16:07   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It is expensive. Not as expensive as truffles of course, but still reasonably expensive to get good foie gras.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 21:49   Link #9
Proff

wow, i don't believe it.. this show is exactly.. or shall i say reminds me of iron chef. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if the idea of iron chef was derieved from this anime.
(in fact there was an episode where they had a cook off.. and the main ingrediant was angular.)

i'll be looking foward to more episodes... i just love food.

o btw, on the foie gras, i'm not entirely sure however i do beleive there is also a duck version.
Proff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 23:31   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I received the first couple of volumes of Oishinbo manga from a penpal who said that it is a very popular manga in Japan. It's as gimmicky as any sports manga with the gourmet arcana and the one-upmanship. It seems to fit in with the affluent 80s, when some Japanese drank gold dust and consumed who knows what-all else...

Yamaoka x Kurita? I hope not! He's an absolute pig, and rude besides...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 12:22   Link #11
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proff
o btw, on the foie gras, i'm not entirely sure however i do beleive there is also a duck version.
Would that be pate? (Insert circumflex and accent on the e, I'm way to lazy to do that right now >_<)

Foie gras tastes a lot like pate (considering they're both essentially bird guts), so if anyone is curious you could always try that. Pate's not bad.

Drinking gold dust?! There's a brand of hard liquor that comes with gold flecks to burn your throat, scratching it and thereby maximizing alcohol intake. Somehow, it just never sounded appealing...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 15:12   Link #12
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol the liquor come with gold flecks? ^^ seriously? I never heard of those either. Isn't it poisonous?
Old 2004-06-02, 15:37   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Unlike other heavy metals, gold is not poisonous. It is completely inert.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-02, 17:27   Link #14
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Lol the liquor come with gold flecks? ^^ seriously? I never heard of those either. Isn't it poisonous?
Nope. And the liquor in question is called "Goldschlager". It tastes of cinnamon, and is supposedly quite strong (I've never had it myself). Also, despite the German sounding name, I've never seen it in a German speaking country (or at least not in Austria, though I did see a similar product here...)
Old 2004-06-02, 17:44   Link #15
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Is it like an expensive food in France? I only know escargot.
Foie Gras is *extremely* expensive, no matter where you are. If you want to see what it looks like, tune in to an ep of Iron Chef when the French guy is on, as he always uses it (IIRC it looks kinda like peanut butter but shinier). Oh, and why does Sakai always use Foie Gras? Because participants on Iron Chef got to take leftover ingredients back to their restaurants to use without having to pay the TV station for them. Apparently it was not uncommon to see the chefs exit with large coolers after every taping...
Old 2004-06-02, 17:57   Link #16
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

OMG! I never knew that they get all the leftover ingredients! No wonder he always uses foie gras and truffles. I just thought that it was just because he loves to use the "big guns". He's so geedy.

Old 2004-06-02, 18:36   Link #17
jennwenn

Quote:
Nope. And the liquor in question is called "Goldschlager". It tastes of cinnamon, and is supposedly quite strong (I've never had it myself). Also, despite the German sounding name, I've never seen it in a German speaking country (or at least not in Austria, though I did see a similar product here...)
Yeah, that's it! I've seen it in the UK, don't know about the States.

Woooh, didn't know that Iron Chef tidbit. How gloriously sneaky! I'd totally use those hyper-rare mushrooms that only grow in Japan and cost hundreds of US$ for a perfect pair. Hmm...I can't remember the name of it now. They use them as wedding gifts for the hyper-rich.

Oishinbo is great! I can alternate episodes with Cooking Master Boy, which I haven't finished yet.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 18:53   Link #18
Za Paper

They sell Goldschlager here in the states. Just about every liquor store carries it. The bottles say its made in Switzerland and it isnt anything special but it is fun to try once just to say you drank gold. It is 87 proof so slightly stronger than the average rum, whiskey, vodka which are 80 proof.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 01:31   Link #19
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Well I see the gold dust thing got people's attention... I don't think it was as simple as importing bottles of Goldschlager though, but I can't remember. Obviously Yamaoka would laugh his head off at the very notion that the gold would make the drink taste better.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 03:17   Link #20
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Obviously Yamaoka would laugh his head off at the very notion that the gold would make the drink taste better.
Well of course, it's purely a decorative gimmick. If you want a tasty drink with it tho, make a Starry Night: 1 part Goldschlager + 1 part Blue Curacao.

Tags
food