Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-04, 08:47   Link #21
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
You could try True Tears. While the protagonist isn't a wuss, he isn't super awesome either. A good anime nonetheless. I third Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun

also,
DON'T watch School Days. It sucks.
Old 2008-03-04, 09:55   Link #22
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
asking for a non wuss lead in a harem anime is a bit antithetic.
the only one i could think of would be midori no hibi but it s not really haremish.

as for school days it s an anime that you will either love or hate, personnally i loved it.
Old 2008-03-04, 10:01   Link #23
greyhawk
Some dude

Why man? No love for Dickoto? </sarc>
True Tears? Gosh, Shinichiro is an idiot. But it's good though.
Clannad? Oh yeah, Okazaki's your man. He does cry when things got a little dramatic, but he's def not a wuss.
Old 2008-03-04, 11:06   Link #24
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

higurashi. i think that could be counted as harem right since there are signs of interest LOL.
Old 2008-03-04, 23:51   Link #25
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
You could try True Tears. While the protagonist isn't a wuss, he isn't super awesome either. A good anime nonetheless. I third Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun

also,
DON'T watch School Days. It sucks.
Shin'ichiro isn't really a great character in general. Even though it's based off of an eroge romance, I still have no idea why any of the girls have feelings for him. He's just a mildly annoying, sarcastic guy who occasionally can be sensitive, kind of like a less funny Rin Tsuchimi.
I agree that Goshusho-sama Ninomiya-kun's titular character is far from a wuss, but it's true that many of his amazing feats involve trying to evade his harem, or certain assets of it.
And School Days isn't really a bad anime. It's also not love or hate at all, since no one really "loved" it. I would say most people who hate it only feel so because they only watched it for its ending in the first place, so they didn't really care what happened between episodes 1-12 before its last ten minutes or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawk View Post
Why man? No love for Dickoto? </sarc>
True Tears? Gosh, Shinichiro is an idiot. But it's good though.
Clannad? Oh yeah, Okazaki's your man. He does cry when things got a little dramatic, but he's def not a wuss.
Your opening joke was a bit tasteless, aside from the fact that I had to have "Dickoto" withing a centimetre of "School Days" to recognise that you were referring to Makoto.
I agree that Shin'ichiro is an idiot, though True Tears itself is not a bad anime, and is even better when compared to the rest of the Winter Season.
Clannad's Tomoya, Kanon's Yuuichi, and Air's Yukito (Though it's a small "harem" of three girls) are the characters you're looking for.
Unfortunately, Kanon, Clannad, and Air are probably far from the type of anime you're looking for.
Then again, you kind of asked for a non-episodic and dramatic slice-of-life comedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Daisuki View Post
higurashi. i think that could be counted as harem right since there are signs of interest LOL.
Sure.
I actually wouldn't say any of the lead characters are wusses except maybe Satoko, but seeing as she's probably 7 to 10 years old.
Old 2008-03-04, 23:56   Link #26
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Ah, I was waiting for you to post so I can just second everything you wrote. Whatever qtipsex said I second.
Old 2008-03-05, 02:18   Link #27
Romalokp2
ecchi, funny,harem=great

is their a harem anime like CLANNAD
i like the lead character and the whole entire thing
Old 2008-03-05, 02:26   Link #28
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Ah, I was waiting for you to post so I can just second everything you wrote. Whatever qtipsex said I second.
Oh, thank you. It's not like you're just pushing all of the work and shameless plugging onto me, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romalokp2 View Post
is their a harem anime like CLANNAD
i like the lead character and the whole entire thing
Kanon is quite similar, sharing both Key as original game developers, Kyoto as the animators, and both titles beginning with kana of the "k" sound.
EDIT: !! Kyoto and Key also begin with K !!

The main differences are obviously scenario related, characters' stories, general plot, etc.
Kanon also has some sort of aura of sadness and such, whereas Clannad is generally a more upbeat and happy-ish series.
But the lead characters are very similar: stoic, sensitive, sarcastic, sensible teenagers who are willing to fight (figuratively) for their friends.
Unlike the newer Clannad, both Kanon and Air featured characters who seemed to vanish after their arcs were completed, almost omitted from the rest of the story entirely until its end.

Kanon also contains more lolis and more Yui Horie - Yukari Tamura pairing.

EDIT:
EDIT2:
It's also a Clannad one.
Old 2008-03-05, 02:52   Link #29
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I changed my avatar too. Shall I announce it to the world?

EDIT: It's NOT a Clannad one.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-03-05 at 10:46.
Old 2008-03-05, 05:02   Link #30
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
I changed my avatar too. Shall I announce it to the world?
You really should. I myself didn't notice until what I'm assuming was a short while after you changed it.
Old 2008-03-05, 11:35   Link #31
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Shin'ichiro isn't really a great character in general. Even though it's based off of an eroge romance, I still have no idea why any of the girls have feelings for him.
True Tears was not an eroge, and the anime actually has nothing to do with the visual novel that goes by the same title - the two are completely unrelated.
That said, i am not sure whether True Tears is what you are looking for, as the anime is quite different in its feel and approach than most things, even if the general consensus is extremely positive. (personally i consider it overrated).

As for something thats similar to Clannad ... well, the already mentioned Kanon is the first to come to mind, though the mood is indeed a bit different. For what its worth, i liked Kanon better than i am liking Clannad.

It would be somewhat hard to find titles similar to that though ...in most cases the male leads are not all that likable as they tend to be in Key-verse. I would suggest giving Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~ a go - for a change we have a male lead that is not incompetent when it comes to a girl he likes and actually works towards it. Its not often when you see a lead that knows from the very start where his heart stands and actually acts upon it
Old 2008-03-05, 18:01   Link #32
Romalokp2
ecchi, funny,harem=great

qtipbrit what was your od anime avatar
and yea a new clannad avatar
Old 2008-03-05, 19:08   Link #33
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You really should. I myself didn't notice until what I'm assuming was a short while after you changed it.
OMG like I changed my avatar again...for the fourth time in 2 days actually. The original source was so dull that I had to yet again play with contrast, saturation, and lighting, but you can barely making out Watery's bindings since I uped the contrast of Firey to the background. Oh well.

And I totally liked your old avatar better, even though I never finished Lucky Star.
Old 2008-03-05, 19:17   Link #34
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
True Tears was not an eroge, and the anime actually has nothing to do with the visual novel that goes by the same title - the two are completely unrelated.
That said, i am not sure whether True Tears is what you are looking for, as the anime is quite different in its feel and approach than most things, even if the general consensus is extremely positive. (personally i consider it overrated).
Ah, I had heard some statements that it was different from the game, so I guess it was true.
I agree in that the anime is a bit overrated, though. I haven't seen anything in the anime as remarkable, but due to the overall mediocrity of the rest of the current season, it's much better in comparison. I'm currently following the series, but as I stated, I wouldn't say it's as good as people say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romalokp2 View Post
qtipbrit what was your od anime avatar
and yea a new clannad avatar
I had the avatar that I dubbed "KonaFace":

Quote:
OMG like I changed my avatar again...for the fourth time in 2 days actually. The original source was so dull that I had to yet again play with contrast, saturation, and lighting, but you can barely making out Watery's bindings since I uped the contrast of Firey to the background. Oh well.

And I totally liked your old avatar better, even though I never finished Lucky Star.
It took me a bit to recognise you/it, since I haven't really seen much of CCS at all (maybe ten or so episodes of Cardcaptors on Cartoon Network back when I was a wee lad.)

And Lucky Star is just the most Gif-able series ever.
There's probably at least twenty things in each episode you could make a good gif out of.

Of course, half of the things I've gif'd ended up around 52 or so KB due to the number of frames required, so it makes me sad.
Old 2008-03-05, 20:45   Link #35
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It took me a bit to recognise you/it, since I haven't really seen much of CCS at all (maybe ten or so episodes of Cardcaptors on Cartoon Network back when I was a wee lad.)
Wait, so this means I can constantly bug you to watch Cardcaptor Sakura now right?

And this is totally on-topic, since you can argue that there is at least a harem in seasons two and three of CCS!
Old 2008-03-05, 21:17   Link #36
DestinyFate
Shana <3

Zero no Tsukaima. Saito is the man!
Old 2008-03-05, 22:58   Link #37
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Wait, so this means I can constantly bug you to watch Cardcaptor Sakura now right?

And this is totally on-topic, since you can argue that there is at least a harem in seasons two and three of CCS!
Damn. Bad judgement on my part.
And no, you can't. Even though you will. So I'll just get used to it until I can actually watch it.

EDIT:
And as I watch CCS (as I'm now obliged to), there will be an epic one-on-one moe match with me as the judge and jury between the magical girl champions of Saimoe 2002 and 2005.

Mahou Shoujo battle. Yay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyFate View Post
Zero no Tsukaima. Saito is the man!
Yes.

That's mildly on-topic. Even though there's not really any joke involved with the poster, I find it witty to post a motivational poster that's on-topic even if it's not funny.
Old 2008-03-08, 16:35   Link #38
angel.shade

Quote:
And as I watch CCS (as I'm now obliged to), there will be an epic one-on-one moe match with me as the judge and jury between the magical girl champions of Saimoe 2002 and 2005.
Not taking into account the pointlessness of this entire comparison, Nanoha would still kick the holy living shit out of Sakura.

She's called the "demonic cannon girl" for a reason, folks.
Old 2008-03-08, 17:02   Link #39
james0246

I can't believe no one has mentioned the two pseudo-Harem/Comedy classics by Rumiko Takahashi:

Urusei Yatsura ~ Those Obnoxious Aliens - a great pseudo-Harem series about a lecherous high school boy who mistakenly proposes to an invading alien princess. So, Lamu, the alien princess, follows him around like a love sick puppy always getting in the way of his desperate need to plant his seed and propagate. One of the main director's for the series was Mamoru Oshii, best known for his work on the Patlabor series and the original Ghost in the Shell movie.

Ranma 1/2 - one of the original gender-bending harem shows...actually it is still one of the only gender-bending harem shows ever. Great comedy, good action, strange romance abound in this classic series that helped to pave the way for the Anime explosion in America. The main character, Ranma, and his multiple "brides" must battle crazed demons, perverted teachers, ectentric Amazonians, and much much more in order to try and create any semblance of normality in his life. Did I forget to mention that he turns into a girl when he is hit with hot water, that is somewhat important . This was the main inspiration for the beloved harem manga Love Hina, but without the wussy lead character.
Old 2008-03-08, 21:31   Link #40
Romalokp2
ecchi, funny,harem=great

Ranma 1/2 i found this anime to be mildly disturbing with the transforming into a girl and boy by being wet
Closed Thread

Tags
harem, strong_male