AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-15, 12:15   Link #1301
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Amy was my favorite character. Partly because she liked books and I liked books. She liked computers and I liked computers. Main reason though was because she had what had to be the lamest power - she could shoot bubbles - yet she did more with it then the other characters did with their more awesome powers. Every single time Amy would show up and immediately do something. Whether laying down cover, or distracting the bad guy, or something. Yeah, maybe she wasn't as powerful, but Amy did her job every single time. Half the time the other girls would stand around trying to figure out what to do.
Ah Mercury, she is one of my most favorites. What she lacks, she covers it with her brain. While I tend to prefer the Outer Senshis to the Inner Senshis, Mercury is my most favorite among the Inner Senshis.

Don't know how long is this adaptation. Maybe we will have one cour for the first arc in the manga about the Illusionary Silver Crystal, then they will announce more sequels to adapt the rest?
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2014-03-15, 12:47   Link #1302
Blueberri
♫♪►♂♥♀◄

I'm excited for the new Sailor Moon anime.
Old 2014-03-15, 12:56   Link #1303
Konja7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Don't know how long is this adaptation. Maybe we will have one cour for the first arc in the manga about the Illusionary Silver Crystal, then they will announce more sequels to adapt the rest?
Well, I doubt that the season is so short.

Toei usually has animes lasting one year (around 50 episodes) where the new season starts a week after the previous one finishes, especially if one of the main purposes of this anime is to sell merchandise (Sailor Moon is one of them).

Although the new design seems to be more like the designs in the manga (although I do not see them as similar), that does not mean the story will be completely faithful to the manga. I still think the story will have many changes from the manga.

Last edited by Konja7; 2014-03-15 at 13:09.
Old 2014-03-15, 13:00   Link #1304
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
I also remember Venus as older than Sailor Moon. My sister tells me that I'm wrong though, and that Venus was the same age as Moon. For some reason though I remember Venus as basically an older more mature Moon. Like Venus was what Sailor Moon could be once she grew up a little.
Venus is older in a sense. Sailor Moon is actually a sequel to an earlier series Takeuchi wrote, Codename Sailor V, which was all about Venus. In that series Venus was much sillier, but when she transitioned to Sailor Moon, Takeuchi made her into an experienced veteran to differentiate her from Usagi.
Old 2014-03-15, 13:09   Link #1305
Wattstax

I am a fan of the live-action series, because it has done a lot of things better than the anime/manga:
1. Tight plot line with hardly any filler episode
2. No Monster-of-the-week or the same episode structure with a final fight
3. Characterization of not only Usagi and Mamoru, but the other Senshis, Villains and important side-charas as well
4. Great death-scenes (esp. Zoisite and Minako)

As Takeuchi was included in the production there like she is now in the new Anime, I have high hopes about it.
Old 2014-03-15, 20:24   Link #1306
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
...I tend to like the Manga Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask more this his Anime incarnation.
Same here. Manga Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask had more of a purpose in the plot and more firepower in the manga than in the anime - imho. If SMC sticks close to the manga than it will be a good series - far better than the original.

I do hope they re-animate the entire SM manga because I really really! want to see Sailor Cosmos. I was so mad when the original series merely showed Cosmos as a shadow, and totally screwed the original plot at the end. gah!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2014-03-15, 20:47   Link #1307
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
I also remember Venus as older than Sailor Moon. My sister tells me that I'm wrong though, and that Venus was the same age as Moon. For some reason though I remember Venus as basically an older more mature Moon. Like Venus was what Sailor Moon could be once she grew up a little.
That's by design. Venus is the leader of the inner senshi. Especially in the manga, she has a greater air of maturity about her compared to the other inner senshi.

I don't believe she is actually older, but she is more experienced (having been Sailor V before she returned to Japan and became Sailor Venus) than the other inner senshi, so that accounts for some of it.

Minako/Sailor Venus is my favorite character, by the way.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-03-15, 21:20   Link #1308
Konja7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
I do hope they re-animate the entire SM manga because I really really! want to see Sailor Cosmos. I was so mad when the original series merely showed Cosmos as a shadow, and totally screwed the original plot at the end. gah!
Well, I doubt that the new anime is equal to the manga, because Toei would need to use all the material in one season (I've noticed that the seasons of an anime are continuous in the case of Toei).

If the new anime is successful (I guess Toei expects this), Toei possibly create a second season, then I do not think Toei use all the material in one season.

Last edited by Konja7; 2014-03-15 at 21:36.
Old 2014-03-16, 14:28   Link #1309
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattstax View Post
I am a fan of the live-action series, because it has done a lot of things better than the anime/manga:
It also had horrible acting, questionable choices (with Luna.. REALLY? Was it really necessary? For example), and sub-par production values.

Quote:
As Takeuchi was included in the production there like she is now in the new Anime, I have high hopes about it.
It actually gives me the opposite feeling. Takeuchi can't write a decent thing, IMO.
Old 2014-03-17, 07:07   Link #1310
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Good to hear that this project is finally going somewhere again.

I agree with Sackett on Sailor Mercury. I became impressed at how she always managed to use her powers to maximum tactical advantage. It eventually made me view her powers as surprisingly cool, even if they were the weakest of them all for direct offensive use.

As for Tuxedo Mask - As a guy who would sometimes watch the show with his younger sisters in the 90s, I figured the following...

1. Tuxedo Mask's goal is to slowly but surely push Sailor Moon in the right direction (presumably to prepare her for the final boss). He's like a boxing coach giving his star boxer a little bit of practical help and a couple pointers, but still wanting the star boxer to do most of the work himself (because otherwise, he won't develop as well).

2. At a meta-level, this show is clearly aimed at girls (like my sisters). Girls don't want some guy to steal the spotlight from the female lead in a show aimed at them - That would be like Lois Lane stealing all the spotlight in a Superman comic aimed at male readers; most Superman fans wouldn't want that. Tuxedo Mask should do just enough to look "cool" and "dreamy", but Sailor Moon is still the star of the show.

I did like it whenever Tuxedo Mask would actually scrap a bit with the MotW (or one of Beryl's Generals), but I didn't have a problem with his lack of action in general. I had both an in-canon theory (1) there, and a meta explanation (2), and I was fine with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Am I only one that thinks Usagi's leg ends on where her back begins (as in, she has no butt) in that preview image. Her face looks more shoujo-esque and I do not think that level of detail will be seen in the series (at least in the action scenes).
That pic of Sailor Moon is lovely in general, but she has a "plastic man" thing going on. It's not just the perception of no butt, but also at least one arm seeming really long. Still, these are minor issues in an otherwise beautiful picture.
Old 2014-03-17, 11:28   Link #1311
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Good to hear that this project is finally going somewhere again.

I agree with Sackett on Sailor Mercury. I became impressed at how she always managed to use her powers to maximum tactical advantage. It eventually made me view her powers as surprisingly cool, even if they were the weakest of them all for direct offensive use.

As for Tuxedo Mask - As a guy who would sometimes watch the show with his younger sisters in the 90s, I figured the following...

1. Tuxedo Mask's goal is to slowly but surely push Sailor Moon in the right direction (presumably to prepare her for the final boss). He's like a boxing coach giving his star boxer a little bit of practical help and a couple pointers, but still wanting the star boxer to do most of the work himself (because otherwise, he won't develop as well).

2. At a meta-level, this show is clearly aimed at girls (like my sisters). Girls don't want some guy to steal the spotlight from the female lead in a show aimed at them - That would be like Lois Lane stealing all the spotlight in a Superman comic aimed at male readers; most Superman fans wouldn't want that. Tuxedo Mask should do just enough to look "cool" and "dreamy", but Sailor Moon is still the star of the show.

I did like it whenever Tuxedo Mask would actually scrap a bit with the MotW (or one of Beryl's Generals), but I didn't have a problem with his lack of action in general. I had both an in-canon theory (1) there, and a meta explanation (2), and I was fine with them.

Oh yeah. I totally get that now. I probably even understood #2 back when I first watched it, even if I never articulated it. I probably just felt it was my duty as a guy to complain about him to my sisters.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2014-03-17, 14:00   Link #1312
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I probably got the reasoning of Tuxedo Mask not stealing the spotlight back when it was going on, but I still wished he was useful . So much attention from the main cast for a guy that spends most of the time throwing flowers at people. I mean impressive enough that he can throw a flower with enough force to get stuck in the ground but still...flower throwing .

As a whole I liked the main cast of characters. Remember my favorite character usually varied between Venus, Mercury, and Mars. Whoever had a more standout episode usually retook the top spot. Sadly usually shrugged at the title character, but never hurts when the majority of the cast is pretty likable.
Old 2014-03-17, 15:20   Link #1313
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

You're over-thinking it. Tuxedo Mask was a teenage boy. Sailor Moon was a girl in a short skirt doing acrobatics. He was hanging around in the hopes of catching a panty shot.

Just like every 13 year old boy in the audience.
Old 2014-03-17, 20:00   Link #1314
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
You're over-thinking it. Tuxedo Mask was a teenage boy. Sailor Moon was a girl in a short skirt doing acrobatics. He was hanging around in the hopes of catching a panty shot.

He was barely still a teenager, but yeah.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-03-17, 20:51   Link #1315
Dr. Casey

Far as ages go, to my understanding all the girls are the same age at the start (14) and were born in the same year, which would be about 1977 assuming that the manga started in the at-the-time present day of 1992. So that would make Minako/Sailor Venus the second youngest with an October 22nd birthday.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2014-03-17 at 21:10.
Old 2014-03-18, 01:06   Link #1316
Wattstax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
It also had horrible acting, questionable choices (with Luna.. REALLY? Was it really necessary? For example), and sub-par production values.

It actually gives me the opposite feeling. Takeuchi can't write a decent thing, IMO.
Your interjection is true. Sure it had some negative aspects but the points I mentioned before are held in high regards by me and make it still my favourite in the franchise. So I will expect no less from a new anime version.

Don't know of Takeuchi's participation or influence on the production but at least it didn't harm in the process
Old 2014-03-18, 02:24   Link #1317
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post

Hey I resent that, considering I was around that age when Sailor Moon first aired. I don't even know if that's worse than the generalization made in my area that if you're a young boy watching Sailor Moon, you must be gay or something... but certainly reeks like it.

Little ol' me was watching mainly because he wanted to know who the Moon Princess was, and even though it should've been obvious from the get go, the reveal still floored my past self. That was THE climax of the series for me, and the rest I followed diligently until R, where I found it quite repetitive by then and only watched the rest occasionally.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2014-03-18, 10:05   Link #1318
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

If I may chime in on the Tuxedo Mask thing as a girl... Here's an insight into my childhood opinion (oh dear..): I absolutely hated the guy growing up- because he was so "useless and never did anything". I couldn't identify with Usagi's attraction to him, because I never would've wanted such a useless guy as my boyfriend. And I would've probably been happy for him to "steal the spotlight" if it meant that he actually did something of note. He was a wuss, in my (pre-) teen eyes.
Re-reading the series now, I find him a lot more bearable and actually reasonably interesting so far (first arc).
But as a girl, he was neither cool nor dreamy nor anything to me but unnecessary. That said, I was never much into romance or girly things, so his attraction may just have been lost on me. It's quite possible that the majority of girls thought he was cool xD me and my friends just didn't care for a token boyfriend, so we hated him.

That said, I loved Mercury, Venus and Saturn the best, glad to see some Amy appreciation in here
Old 2014-03-18, 14:12   Link #1319
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

My feelings are kind of akin to yours, SkullFaerie. I have a decent handful of friends who adored Tuxedo Mask but I couldn't stand the guy. In a lot of ways, a good number of the women in the series are manlier than he is... Which is a small part of the reason I even love Sailor Moon to begin with. I found quite a few of the male villains to be a lot more interesting in comparison to him because they were typically stronger and, most importantly, seemed to have a lot more depth to their character. Not to say that Mamoru has zero depth. He's just... not as engaging of a character to me.
Old 2014-03-18, 16:43   Link #1320
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

He's pretty flat, as a character. I think the comparison to typical shonen/sentai/comic book "prize" girlfriends is pretty spot on. He could really be the male equivalent to that and it makes sense, on a meta level. He's the blank sheet wish fulfilment hot boyfriend. Unfortunately, like his female equivalents, that makes him bland. Some people like that, but these characters just don't do it for me. And to be fair, the male-oriented shows have far worse offenders amongst their blank sheet hot girlfriend characters
With Mamoru, he just loses his appeal as the series goes on. He started out alright.
Personally, since the rest of the series was so interesting, I would've liked the main male lead to be a lot more multi-layered and interesting too. If we already have to endure him and are supposed to believe he's oh so dreamy, he might as well live up to the hype. As it stands, I agree with you Kismet-chan, I too preferred the male villains to him, most of them were pretty interesting. And yeah, at the very least Rei, Haruka, Makoto and the Stars have Mamoru beat on manliness without even batting an eyelash xD heck, most of the scouts do.

Don't get me wrong, I love that the girls are in the spotlight. Wouldn't have it any other way. Doesn't mean the guy should need to be carried
Come to think of it, with the exception of probably Kaito Jeanne's Chiaki all maho shojo male leads that come to mind suffer from this.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo