AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-27, 00:07   Link #201
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

Well, I like guns and action, so when it first came out, this anime series quite attracted me. And as the show went on, the plot and storyline impressed me quite some.

The lifestyles of the girls, the mentality, the various ways that their trainers treat them as who they are and stuff.
Mistwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 11:44   Link #202
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain
Heh, Relentless, you got me all wrong. It is preciesly BECAUSE of the story and characters that the action is so much more enjoyable. I mean, I feel completely diffirent things when one of the Girls, which have clearly intentionaly been shaped to symbolise purity and innocence in all it's forms, wreck bloody and mercyless hell on a group of people, as opposed to some super-superman hero guy.

The action bits are esential, since they give a strong underscore to the entire theme.
I'm sorry if it looked otherwise, but I was not singling out anybody. Everybody likes whatever they like for whatever reasons. I was just stating my case.

So, what are your favorite GSG scenes?
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 02:46   Link #203
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
man i LOVE little girls with fat-ass guns...its the greatest combonation!
*aznplayboi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 13:09   Link #204
Teh Roman Helmet
Anime-Blitz encoder

Send a message via AIM to Teh Roman Helmet
I watched the first episode GG and I thought it looked kinda stupid. No offense to anybody that likes it btw. It's just that little girls weilding big guns looks weird to me. Should I watch some more of it? Is it worth watching even. The premise just seems to out there for me.
Teh Roman Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 15:46   Link #205
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Roman Helmet
I watched the first episode GG and I thought it looked kinda stupid. No offense to anybody that likes it btw. It's just that little girls weilding big guns looks weird to me. Should I watch some more of it? Is it worth watching even. The premise just seems to out there for me.
Well if you dont like little girls with guns then I wouldnt bother watching any more then because its just more of the same. Its the only reason I watch the show actually.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 03:51   Link #206
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
Quote:

you dont lyke little girls with guns!!! how dare you...jk. The whole thing is girls with guns...if you think thats stupid...uh, you shouldnt bother...but i think its really good....
*aznplayboi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 05:34   Link #207
ky_khor
Gundamed Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to ky_khor
they should team-up and kill the entire organisation

triela - leader
cleas - set strategy
henrietta - assault
rico - sniper/backup
angelica - give her a gun then throw her into the battlefield, she will fought well although she forget why she fought

i like henrietta bcoz she can play violin
ky_khor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 10:49   Link #208
Lain

Quote:
No, you shouldn't. There's no point in watching an anime if you can't buy the basic premise. That's what ruined NGE for me. I couldn't buy that anyone would ever entrust Shinji with anything more powerful than a fork.
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 10:58   Link #209
IPv6
blastos.com

I downloaded the last GG epi and didn't watch it for two weeks. This show is boring as hell but I still watch it to kill time.
IPv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 13:46   Link #210
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Boring??? What's so boring about a bunch of 10-14 year old girls packing heat??

How many other shows do you see that you actually have to fear the girl in pigtails standing next to you? ^_^ Plus that irony adds some humor to the show from my perspective. I mean seriously. How often do you see a 10 year old girl cleaning a Glok 9mm while discussing what they did in school today?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 14:00   Link #211
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

non-Japanese still have yet to understand the "moe~" mentality.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 15:51   Link #212
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
non-Japanese still have yet to understand the "moe~" mentality.
What is this "moe mentality" you speak of?
Old 2003-12-29, 16:04   Link #213
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
Something that cannot be explained...something that you need to realize yourself...something that is unique to Japanese otaku culture

Similar mentalities include "XX-tan ha-ha-" with XX replaced for your "moe~" character
Old 2004-01-14, 13:05   Link #214
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Something that cannot be explained...something that you need to realize yourself...something that is unique to Japanese otaku culture
Well, that's not the definition... uh, you're right in that it's hard to define. On 4chan, an American haven of Japanese culture, it is described as "lolicon".

(This is also a bump for the upcoming GSG episode.)
Old 2004-01-14, 14:33   Link #215
[maven]

Send a message via MSN to [maven]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
Watch the introduction of Miyuki's fansub of Comic Party Revolution 01 to find out... kinda
[maven] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 14:42   Link #216
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The Japanese online dictionary, goo (http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search....8%A4%A8&kind=jn) defines "moe" as:

もえ 【萌え】

ある人物やものに対して,深い思い込みを抱くようす。その対象は実在するものだけでなく,
アニメーションのキャラクターなど空想上のものにもおよぶ。
アニメ愛好家の一部が,NHK のアニメーション「恐竜惑星」のヒロイン「鷺沢萌」に対して抱く,
ロリータ-コンプレックスの感情に始まるといわれるが,その語源にも諸説ある

English translation:

Moe [moe]

To incite strong emotional feelings toward a certain character or thing. Not limited to actual physical things, but evolves more into animated characters and other like-wise imaginary personas. If one asks an extreme anime lover, they would say the origins of "moe" stems from the lolita complex incited from the the heroine from the 1993 NHK series anime, "Kyouryuu Wakusei" (Planet of Dinosaurs), Sagisawa Moe. However, the origins are disputed by many [likewise, some say it stems from Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn) from the Sailor Moon series]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Well, that's not the definition... uh, you're right in that it's hard to define. On 4chan, an American haven of Japanese culture, it is described as "lolicon".
Though the origins of "moe" can be related to lolicon, "moe" does not necessarily mean lolicon. For example, Kazami Mizuho-sensei from Onegai Teacher (far from being a loli-type character) can also be considered a "moe~ character." So are Suzumiya Haruka from "Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" and Tessa Testarossa from "Full Metal Panic."
Old 2004-01-14, 14:59   Link #217
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Oh, I thought "moe", especially in the stretched-out form "moe~", came from Kinomoto Sakura's cry in CCS. Although if the term originated before CCS, I suppose that would be a little hard to believe
Old 2004-01-14, 15:25   Link #218
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
in other words , it is an association of emotional perogative of the character gives to the viewer, a mix of cuteness yet untouchableness and innocence?
Old 2004-01-14, 16:18   Link #219
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
in other words , it is an association of emotional perogative of the character gives to the viewer, a mix of cuteness yet untouchableness and innocence?
There we go. I guess the closest thing to "moe~" in Western standards are people who love Audrey Hepburn. (wow that was a bad example!)
Old 2004-01-20, 09:48   Link #220
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Spoiler:

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen