4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-10, 22:28   Link #201
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

So Homura is stagging up weapons for each of her time trip, she should go military viehcles (planes, tanks) next time, if that doesn't do, go for a nuke.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:30   Link #202
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
What if Homura prevented WN from becoming a magical girl? If there's no WN, then there's no need for Madoka to become a MG.
Walpurgis is an anomaly among Witches. First, she has no lair (that we've seen), she arrives or appears in a particular spot. Second, she's stupidly strong. This could allude to Madoka being the "end of the line" of progressively stronger and stronger MG's and Witches, the Walpurgis could have simply been the last most powerful MG turned Witch. She's clearly destructive, so that raises the question of why she isn't just roaming around constantly killing everything in her path. I was a bit bothered that the reason she exists was not explained or at least inferred, especially since Mami and Kyouko are both aware of the Walpurgis coming soon.

The other thing that bothers me is that people keep making assumptions that the only way to defeat the system is to destroy it. This is a paradox. Homura is stuck in the system and has to use the system to save Madoka. Even if she manages to save Madoka past the Walpurgis's defeat, the SYSTEM STILL REMAINS. This was the point of showing that even defeating the Witch still ends up in Homura losing Madoka.

The reason why I outlined why Homura's only way to beat the system is to discover a loophole that meets certain conditions is because this episode clearly outlined the reasons why every attempt that Homura has made to save Madoka has failed and why QB always wins in the end due to his Xanatos Gambit. Seeing people insist that merely wishing it all away is the solution is frustrating. Kyubey won't do anything to endanger his sweet setup. The only reason Homura has a chance of finding a way to a good end is because of the same single mindset that he has - Madoka is the central goal for both of their missions. His, to take Madoka's energy after she turns into a Witch. Homura's, to prevent Madoka's death or Madoka becoming a Witch.

There is no way to resolve this under the current system. Homura needs a Third Option.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:30   Link #203
Edict

Quote:
For me, good and evil have no merit when you realize the people who support and condemn things in their name tend to be bloody hypocrites.
you are criticising them for the same justification
Edict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:32   Link #204
Elestia

At least until the next quota comes around, then QB is screwed. THEN SUDDENLY ENTROPY THOUSANDS OF THEM!!!!. The universe never stood a chance.
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:33   Link #205
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
but he meet his quota that is the important thing, getting his sale manager off his back
That one "energy quota" line by Kyubey is a bit strange.

I can't shake this image that the real bad guy of this anime is basically the alien version of George W. Bush, and Kyubey is akin to a Haliburton operative exploiting the locals in order to get the oil.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:33   Link #206
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
The only way I can see things working out now is if:

- Homura somehow is magically able to defeat Walpurgis on her own this time (but even then, that doesn't necessarily put an end to the threat of witches like someone was earlier suggesting).

- The other MGs come back from the dead through the power of love and friendship! YEAH! (Um, no.)

- New MGs appear to help Homura (all this time I've been wondering if Homu, Saya, Kyo, and Mami were the ONLY MGs in the ENTIRE world or not).

- Homura does another reset.
I've been reflecting on the last lines Homura says at the end of the episode, saying "there's only one way"... what if ironically the only "certain" way to prevent all the events that occur would be to simply kill Madoka?

As absurd as it may sound, having tried countless times to save Madoka she might soon reach that conclusion.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:34   Link #207
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Yes, but good salesmen have repeat customer. And... you know.... Earth gets destroyed.... yeah....
Well not if you made a sale that allowed you to retire

Example, if i sold ovens on a commission basis, making a few thousand dollars from less than a hundred sales and some guy came came and bought 10 million for use as the standard oven for his entire country, i could then retire with 100 million in the bank.

Of course if i knew the ovens were badly made and would poison everyone in the country in 10 months, killing 10 million, why should i care? I made more than enough and i'm apparently not evil too
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:35   Link #208
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Maybe it's because of how Madoka was honest with her on how she thinks of herself as worthless and a coward?
All right, you have me here. I'm rather grasping at straws now. Well, it was a fun theory to run with.
I am also curious. I haven't figured out a good theory yet to encompass all aspects, but I did notice these inconsistencies. That is what discussion is for, isn't it?

Also, to saying QB is evil: Is Homura not doing the same thing? For the sake of Madoka, she is willing to sacrifice entire timelines of people.

For you to say that she is not "evil" means that "evil" is quantifiable in human lives. Just want to make sure you realize the gravity of your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Well not if you made a sale that allowed you to retire

Example, if i sold ovens on a commission basis, making a few thousand dollars from less than a hundred sales and some guy came came and bought 10 million for use as the standard oven for his entire country, i could then retire with 100 million in the bank.

Of course if i knew the ovens were badly made and would poison everyone in the country in 10 months, killing 10 million, why should i care? I made more than enough and i'm apparently not evil too
Not an accurate comparison. For your comparison to work, the money you made would go to saving the lives of 100 million elsewhere. Is it that easy to compare now?

What if you had a guarantee that if you killed ten million individuals, you would save ten times that in return?
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:36   Link #209
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I've been reflecting on the last lines Homura says at the end of the episode, saying "there's only one way"... what if ironically the only "certain" way to prevent all the events that occur would be to simply kill Madoka?

As absurd as it may sound, having tried countless times to save Madoka she might soon reach that conclusion.
Homura already killed Madoka at the end of Timeline 3 and prevented her from turning into a Witch. That was still not acceptable for her.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:37   Link #210
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Suzumiya's E8 is so much easier to break in comparison. I think this is how it would end the system taken from Inuyasha,
Spoiler for Inuyasha:
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:38   Link #211
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Like a few people I got Higurashi vibes >.>

I really liked the other personality of Madoka instead of the one we have now XD. I wonder how the cat has to play into everything....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:38   Link #212
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edict View Post
you are criticising them for the same justification
Well, no one would willingly acknowledge their acts as evil, right? The ones that do tend to either suffer an immediate BSOD or turn manically destructive.
I guess I should've phrased that differently. For me, good and evil have no merit when you realize the people supporting good and condoning evil tend to be bloody hypocrites.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:38   Link #213
Edict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindou
that will obstruct the known series of events but would not undo the processes which generate these situations. And I would generally assume Homura's objective is to save Madoka, in some form or other.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:39   Link #214
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Homura already killed Madoka at the end of Timeline 3 and prevented her from turning into a Witch. That was still not acceptable for her.
I am talking about killing her before contracting, before the Walpurgis Night occurs. Though it is not acceptable, there is hardly an other clear way out unless something that can possibly alter the MG/Witch system is brought up (without looking like a deus-ex machina type of resolving).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:39   Link #215
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Suzumiya's E8 is so much easier to break in comparison. I think this is how it would end the system taken from Inuyasha,
Spoiler for Inuyasha:
if you were QB would you grant that wish?
Old 2011-03-10, 22:40   Link #216
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Spoiler for Inuyasha:
Would not work. Kyubey would not grant it if it destroyed his Grief Seed harvest, just like he wouldn't turn Sayaka back to normal even though Madoka was willing to become a Puella Magi for it.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:41   Link #217
Edict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki
Well, no one would willingly acknowledge their acts as evil, right?
not everyone, but enough typically do.

Quote:
For me, good and evil have no merit when you realize the people supporting good and condoning evil tend to be bloody hypocrites.
depends entirely on what you mean by "good and evil", if assuming the essential concepts they cannot be criticised as false on the basis of false justifications.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:42   Link #218
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Homura's situation is pretty tricky when you think about it.

Kyubey = Can't be killed, can't get him to go away

Mami = Will completely snap if she learns the whole truth, seems to start out already a magical girl.

Madoka = Idealistic. Wants to be a magical girl (unless she sees one die first).

Sayaka = Won't believe you. Wants to be a magical girl. Has a great wish motive.

Kyoko = Starts out only caring about herself.

Homura has quite the rubik's cube to solve here. Although I do agree that she might as well try to get her hands on a nuke, and see if that'll work.

I can think of some extreme ways that might work (kidnap Madoka on Day 1, drag her out of the country, hope the other magical girls can handle Walpurgis Night on their own), but anything more straightforward is tricky.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:42   Link #219
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
What if you had a guarantee that if you killed ten million individuals, you would save ten times that in return?
Well there goes another one who believes Kyubei's "one day you'll join us in space too!", "Its to your advantage too!" speech
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:44   Link #220
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
Also, to saying QB is evil: Is Homura not doing the same thing? For the sake of Madoka, she is willing to sacrifice entire timelines of people.

For you to say that she is not "evil" means that "evil" is quantifiable in human lives. Just want to make sure you realize the gravity of your argument.
I didn't say that Homura is not evil either. In fact, I don't really consider anything evil. Or anything good, for that matter. Everyone has their reasons for doing something, and it's up to you to decide whether you agree with their reason or not. Evil and good are simply terms established by a society to describe things that clash with the general consensus of said society.

Besides, the Mahou Shoujo aren't technically human either. Is it really fair to label them as good or evil when they are no longer effected by the sway of humanity?
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, time travel