AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 21:09   Link #421
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

The new, more confident Yui is actually pretty funny. I think I like her as much as anyone else in the the cast now.

The class rep is shaping up to be quite the antagonist, intentional or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markerlight View Post
As soon as Inaba said Iori was the closest to cracking, I figured she was actually the one closest to cracking. I'm betting she likes Taichi as well.
A thousand times this.

While it's entirely possible I'm just reading it wrong, that's sure how I took Inaba's lecture at Taichi. You could already see the cracks forming when she started raising her voice.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 21:27   Link #422
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't see how Taichi's selflessness is such a problem tbh. It's not like he's been overly active in his pursuit of selflessness. He only seems to deal with the problems that he happens to notice so I'd say he's been mostly passive about it.

The only problem I can see arising is if there is a deeper problem with him that's the cause of his selflessness and it's not like that necessarily has to be the case.

I suppose there is the possibility that his selflessness is giving him a too narrow or inappropriate viewpoint to deal with certain and important situations and may even be doing more harm than good, but I can't yet think of any convoluted situation like that. And like above that doesn't necessarily have to be the case either so it's not an inherent flaw in his selflessness.
I really have a hard time accepting unconditionally selfless characters, much less identify with them. Heck, I have a hard time looking at them as characters. The last thing I want for this relatively good series is for it to turn into some mediocre dating sim adaptation, where the male lead is just a device to resolve the stories of the individual heroines.

I don't know. Maybe it is too early for me to judge Taichi's character, but I fear for the direction this might take.
Old 2012-07-22, 21:40   Link #423
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I generally like selfless characters unless they are so "selfless" that they fail to realize they are making things worse for the person they are trying to help (Katawa Shoujo, Hanako Route, Bad End). Also, much easier for me to relate to.

Right now the character that I can identify with most is probably Taichi. Though favorite character is probably Iori.

As for ep3. I felt the resolution of Kiriyama's problem was too forced and rushed. As a whole, the Kiriyama and Taichi scene was pretty good though.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 21:49   Link #424
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I really have a hard time accepting unconditionally selfless characters, much less identify with them. Heck, I have a hard time looking at them as characters. The last thing I want for this relatively good series is for it to turn into some mediocre dating sim adaptation, where the male lead is just a device to resolve the stories of the individual heroines.
A selfless character is not that rare or weird tbh. I at least have a couple of friends who’s like that. In fact, I feel quite bad not being as noble as them and only think of myself most of the time. So, the kind and selfless people do exist, although not to the extent of Emiya Shirou, I guess.
Old 2012-07-22, 22:02   Link #425
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
A selfless character is not that rare or weird tbh. I at least have a couple of friends who’s like that. In fact, I feel quite bad not being as noble as them and only think of myself most of the time. So, the kind and selfless people do exist, although not to the extent of Emiya Shirou, I guess.
I didn't say they were nonexistent, just that they're very difficult to identify with.

And much of the time, when an anime character has that particular trait, it's usually just an excuse to give him/her a simplistic motive to resolve another character's conflict.

Now, I'm not saying that Taichi's selflessness is necessarily bad. I just wish that the anime would explore that aspect of him even further so that it feels less artificial or contrived. If it decides to deconstruct the trait, then that would be even better.

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-07-22 at 23:02.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 22:13   Link #426
shishio

Well..this series is at the top this season together with Muv luv TE. I like the way they fleshed out the characters and the pacing while giving hints along the way.

Anyway, i think Taichi does not have an issue especially emotional ones regarding his own life as he is inept and insensitive with his surrounding probably shielding him from issues in his life but maybe his characteristics will give rise to problems with other people instead especially those who fall for him.
shishio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 22:18   Link #427
Seiryuu

Stepping out of the philosophical topic of altruism and how difficult it can be to maintain the real thing; I got an unpleasant image watching the ep again. Did anyone else think of those strength measuring games at the fairs, where you use a hammer to hit something hard enough to send an object all the way through a pole to the top and ring a bell?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 22:30   Link #428
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Now, I'm not saying that Taichi's selflessness is necessarily bad. I just wish that the anime would explore that aspect of him even further so that it feels less artificial or contrived. If it decides to deconstruct the trait, then that would be even better.
A hint about how he was raised or how he live with his family might be good then. That’s probably where his altruism originated I think.

@Seiryuu
I was reminded of my dark childhood past event involving an iron pole instead .
Old 2012-07-22, 22:37   Link #429
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

But I don't know if he cares enough about just his basic well-being.

The fact that he's a serious pro wrestling fan adds an interesting wrinkle here. A lot of pro wrestlers absolutely destroy their bodies in attempts to be as entertaining as possible for the fans (Mick Foley is a particularly notable example of this).

Imagine a scenario where Taichi really puts his body on the line to save another person, and while he's doing so... body-switch. It could be very interesting, and have quite a dramatic fallout.
Notably Taichi explained that the reason he loves pro-Wrestling is because the best pro-wrestlers are those that endure pain. Specifically being able to endure others using all sorts of "moves" on them.

Yeah... I suspect Taichi has a problem there.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:07   Link #430
ReddyRedWolf

Spider Man definitely Spider Man.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:34   Link #431
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Notably Taichi explained that the reason he loves pro-Wrestling is because the best pro-wrestlers are those that endure pain. Specifically being able to endure others using all sorts of "moves" on them.

Yeah... I suspect Taichi has a problem there.
You got me thinking about this. I wonder if his obsession with wrestling is to way to cover up a problem or an insecurity from his past or whatever. Despite being normal, he seems relatively out of place when it comes to the other member of the club, and Himeko did lecture him about this. I can't wait to see how the future episodes will exploit his obsession of wrestling and how it'll change his interactions with the other members of club ie, Iori, Himeko, and Yui.

Still have to give him props for kicking himself just to help a fellow girl in need, what a nice guy. Plus it earned him a flag which could cause problems.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:38   Link #432
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I also smirked earlier on whilst they were recording fake confessions on the bodyswitched person's phones to give a little "push" for their respective crushes to get an idea that they liked each other. That was kinda cute I guess :3.

For sure, Inaba's confession even managed to make my heart skip a beat!!

I can see how Aoki was trying to get a fantasy confession out of Yui's body, but has there been anything to show Taichi likes Inaba? Seems like there's more evidence vice versa with her double meaning behind the phrase "You're clueless" (i.e. He's clueless for not having noticed that she liked him too).
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:40   Link #433
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Yeah, we're everywhere. We also tend to get taken advantage of if we're not careful. Since we don't speak up often, it's the few people around who take the time to notice us and spend time with us. I've been that person this past year with a couple of friends of mine. Gets tiring after a while when it becomes a full-time job.

Here's to hoping Taichi plays that role nicely with Inaba!!
Old 2012-07-23, 00:47   Link #434
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post

I can see how Aoki was trying to get a fantasy confession out of Yui's body, but has there been anything to show Taichi likes Inaba? Seems like there's more evidence vice versa with her double meaning behind the phrase "You're clueless" (i.e. He's clueless for not having noticed that she liked him too).
No, Taichi did it more because it would be completely out of character for her to do something like that and he thought it would be funny.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:48   Link #435
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
No, Taichi did it more because it would be completely out of character for her to do something like that and he thought it would be funny.

Yeah, that was my thought too! And it was unexpectedly moe!
Old 2012-07-23, 00:49   Link #436
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Exactly. As a result, we got to have an excellent view of Inaba being sooooo cute!

HHNNNNNNNNNNNGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Edit:
As if Yui's confession already didn't give me a heart attack. Inaba's confession just have to happen too.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:50   Link #437
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Exactly. As a result, we got to have an excellent view of Inaba being sooooo cute!

HHNNNNNNNNNNNGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'm surprised someone hasn't already uploaded a clip of that scene on Youtube.

Someone wanna do the honors and whore a few Youtube views?
Old 2012-07-23, 00:56   Link #438
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post

Iori presenting herself and Himeko: Which would you prefer to see naked?

Taichi: Both?

Either he is indecisive or he wants a harem end.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:59   Link #439
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

How about you? Who would you rather see naked? Such a hard choice, why not pick both?
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:09   Link #440
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

You might be forget that he's representing all the boys from the school at the time (as the girls appointed him). So, of course all the boys will choose both given the offer . Taichi's just being logical .

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life