Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 15:38   Link #361
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Yeah. In Kaze No Stigma main hero Kazuma and heroine Ayano are both cousin's and have strong romantic interest in each other (Specially Ayano) and Ayano' father is trying hard to bring them both together, while the rest of the family sees no problems and no incest in that.

In Asia cousins do not count as incest at all. Its the same as you would count a love between childhood friends an incest.
Kazuma and Ayano are second cousins. It's their fathers who are cousins to each other.

But yeah...I don't see cousins having a relationship with each other as incest.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:45   Link #362
typhonsentra

I dunno, in Cross Game it seemed like a few characters raised an eyebrow to the blonde guy being so in love with Aoba.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:50   Link #363
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah , and relationships with cousins is prohibited .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:32   Link #364
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Not quite. First cousins are allowed to marry in Japan and I think even in America some states allow first cousin marriages. I may be wrong though
Old 2010-01-07, 23:45   Link #365
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Not quite. First cousins are allowed to marry in Japan and I think even in America some states allow first cousin marriages. I may be wrong though
You're right. You can actually look up the list of states that allow first cousin marriages in the U.S.

Most countries in the world allow 1st cousin marriages. It's just that general western culture views are different and thus trait of thought are different. Just like how the U.S have underage laws for drinking and such while most countries could give a rats ass as long as you got the money.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 04:57   Link #366
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Not in Japan. In fact in most countries marriage between cousins is legal.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 07:07   Link #367
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well i was talking about Asia cuz the relationships is not legal in all Asia's countries . I mean , relationships with cousins are unacceptable (and for others countries in EU too)
If you talk about marriage , it's another thing and yeah it's legal to many countries . Sure for Japan and U.S .
Old 2010-01-08, 08:04   Link #368
Arturro

Quote:
Well i was talking about Asia cuz the relationships is not legal in all Asia's countries . I mean , relationships with cousins are unacceptable (and for others countries in EU too)
If you talk about marriage , it's another thing and yeah it's legal to many countries . Sure for Japan and U.S .
Could you give me examples of a few Asian and EU countries where marriages between cousins are illegal?

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 08:15   Link #369
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
Could you give me examples of a few Asian and EU countries where marriages between cousins are illegal?
Yeah, thats what I would like to hear too. Yes, in western cousin relationship is viewed as a borderline but not prohibited in most of the countries, even less so in asia, so I would be interested to see that list as well.

I know for sure that in Japan it is OK (and I guess thats what matters the most as this manga takes place in Japan too).
Old 2010-01-08, 08:34   Link #370
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
You're right. You can actually look up the list of states that allow first cousin marriages in the U.S.

Most countries in the world allow 1st cousin marriages. It's just that general western culture views are different and thus trait of thought are different. Just like how the U.S have underage laws for drinking and such while most countries could give a rats ass as long as you got the money.
Yeah but afaik, It's culturally looked down upon in Japan and most other countries.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 08:41   Link #371
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Yeah but afaik, It's culturally looked down upon in Japan and most other countries.
I don't think it is, at least in Japan. But that again depends on the provinces you are in, but as general - in Japan it is far much less culturally looked down upon than in western countries, so I really don't know where you have gotten such impression.
Old 2010-01-08, 08:45   Link #372
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

That's why i said that marriage is another thing . The law doesn't prohibit the marriage between cousin yeah i know .
But I said that for many people if you have a relationships with cousins , the family and others cousins won't approved this relationships and you'll have problems but you can run away and dissapeared with him/her and marry etc ... and forget your family .
Me , i can't have a relationships with my cousins , same for my cousins , same for my friends .
Damn , dunno how to explains , i'm not so great in english but hope you can see what i mean.
Ex : I leave in France and this is it . From Reunion island too . Belgium . Laotian . Thailand ....
Old 2010-01-08, 10:49   Link #373
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
I'm pretty sure Korea doesn't like it.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 11:23   Link #374
Darknemo2000

Quote:
That's why i said that marriage is another thing . The law doesn't prohibit the marriage between cousin yeah i know .
But I said that for many people if you have a relationships with cousins , the family and others cousins won't approved this relationships and you'll have problems but you can run away and dissapeared with him/her and marry etc ... and forget your family .
Me , i can't have a relationships with my cousins , same for my cousins , same for my friends .
Damn , dunno how to explains , i'm not so great in english but hope you can see what i mean.
Ex : I leave in France and this is it . From Reunion island too . Belgium . Laotian . Thailand ....
But the most important in Japan.

This all discussion started because one comment said that "I hope the author will not include incest" regarding the whole issue, but the response was that in Japan it isn't counted as an incest, it is legal and does not rise that many eyebrows as it does in western countries.

So counting out Yuki's cousin as a not potential love interest just because that would be a risky incest, and putting him in a safe 'blood-related' zone does not work at all.
Old 2010-01-08, 11:39   Link #375
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
No it's not, who told you this? My mother and her sister in law tried to get me to marry her daughter my cousin.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 12:37   Link #376
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah , i know , it was just a "parenthesis" lol we were off-topic . Now back to the topic XD
Do you think that Eri feels something toward Utsumi ?
Old 2010-01-08, 12:39   Link #377
Xagzan

Quote:
But the most important in Japan.

This all discussion started because one comment said that "I hope the author will not include incest" regarding the whole issue,
Ok seriously, could you please not completely misquote me? My exact words were "I can't really see the mangaka doing incest crushes." I never said I hope she doesn't.
Old 2010-01-08, 14:05   Link #378
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Ok seriously, could you please not completely misquote me? My exact words were "I can't really see the mangaka doing incest crushes." I never said I hope she doesn't.
I don't really care about your quote (or else I would have just browsed back and looked it up) the key was that you still called it an incest, while in Japan it is not counted as one, thus there is no problem.

And our comment was based on that, so even if I cannot remember your quote, the key problem is still the same and you have been answered that the author can do it, simply because it is not a problem in Japanese society. So as successfully you can say "I can't really see the mangaka doing crushes", which does not sound very convincing.
Old 2010-01-08, 14:21   Link #379
Xagzan

Quote:
I don't really care about your quote (or else I would have just browsed back and looked it up) the key was that you still called it an incest, while in Japan it is not counted as one, thus there is no problem.

And our comment was based on that, so even if I cannot remember your quote, the key problem is still the same and you have been answered that the author can do it, simply because it is not a problem in Japanese society. So as successfully you can say "I can't really see the mangaka doing crushes", which does not sound very convincing.
Once again, I never said I couldn't see her doing it because of societal reasons, but just because the series didn't have that kind of feel to it, in my opinion. And you should probably care to get the quote right that you're using to provide an explanation. I certainly do care about having words of prejudice put in my mouth.
Old 2010-01-08, 14:26   Link #380
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Once again, I never said I couldn't see her doing it because of societal reasons, but just because the series didn't have that kind of feel to it, in my opinion.
Then you should have said so. The way you expressed seemed like you couldn't see it because it was incest (carrying the social negative aspect). And that was the reason why discussion started to begin with.

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi