Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-01-29, 05:24   Link #681
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
One of the things I'm starting to hate is the kind of elitism where only anime that does something new is good. This can come in two ways.

1) The fans. They only think anime that are outside of the typical anime cliché is good, dismissing typical high school romance anime as bad. I disagree with this sentiment. I find a lot of enjoyment in anime like Sakurasou, which takes something already done before but does it better without the bullshit that makes the genre infamous for being stagnant in the first place.

2) The directors. I keep seeing lots of very weird and unusual anime lately, especially those that try too hard to be something unique and different, at the cost of enjoyment, story flow, and understanding. Come on guys, you don't need to do this. If you don't want to make another high school romcom, fine, but you don't have to totally go the other extreme.
1. Fanatics. Fan that are so die hard with a particular series and questioning is like attacking their very pride.

2. Directors. They who only makes anime for the sake of earning and do genres based on"what is in" and "what is hot". Most make pointless anime for the sake catering fetishes.

Mad? Who cares.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 07:14   Link #682
DemonOfWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I just want to say that I didn't post as a response to your post in any way (mostly because I didn't read the previous posts lol). I actually, like you, very much dislike many contemporary love triangle high school crap, especially if ecchi harem is involved. But no matter how many times I'm disappointed, I find a good one here and there. So I guess the point is, I keep trying, whereas people just simply dismiss those anime before watching the first episode. (You might even say...because I have such a low expectation of high school setting anime in the first place, I feel especially rewarded when something decent does come up.)
I think with some of the more overused cliches it gets to the point where, for at least some of us, it isn't worth the time or effort looking into anything that seems to hit those cliches just in case it's actually good. Because 90+% of the time it's terrible if you dislike those specific cliche(s) used, and with the more common ones there's an enormous amount of crap that comes out using them, so the amount of time spent digging through trash to find a series that's at least tolerable is far too large.

Sure, every once in a while there's something that takes a terrible set of cliches and either puts a good spin or deconstruction or something on it, or just handles it so well that it's good even if you dislike the cliches, but it's often easier and quicker to go on word of mouth, as if something's worth giving a shot you'll often be able to tell just from a quick look at comments about it.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote