AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-18, 12:23   Link #1361
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
There is an order, obviously, but exactly what the forum software does not specify. I imagine it will be the order they are listed in the database, which would be the order they were created.
If it's not specified, I guess I'll just have to be content with that. Thanks, anyway. But what exactly are you referring to by "they"? It doesn't appear to go by either account creation or post creation, if that's what you mean.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 12:32   Link #1362
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
If it's not specified, I guess I'll just have to be content with that. Thanks, anyway. But what exactly are you referring to by "they"? It doesn't appear to go by either account creation or post creation, if that's what you mean.
By "they" I meant "posts" and "post creation date" is the order to which I was referring. It is possible the order is "user-post index" based, given that is what the database is probably using to extract the information. Under the hood it just counts posts grouped by user and sorts by the resulting count. This means the order will be deterministic, but very hard to predict from the outside (because the order will depend on the algorithm used to create the database index).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 13:53   Link #1363
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Could anyone answer me this?

If a fighter pilot wants to become an Ace. Does he have to score five confirmed kills in a single combat or five kills at all?

I always couldn't understand which one is it.
Old 2008-03-19, 16:22   Link #1364
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Could anyone answer me this?

If a fighter pilot wants to become an Ace. Does he have to score five confirmed kills in a single combat or five kills at all?

I always couldn't understand which one is it.
from wiki
Quote:
"A flying ace or fighter ace is a military aviator credited with shooting down five or more enemy aircraft during aerial combat."
Ace in a day
Quote:
The term "ace in a day" is used to designate a fighter pilot who has shot down five or more airplanes in a single day. The most notable is Hans-Joachim Marseille of Germany, who was credited with downing 17 Allied fighters in just three sorties over North Africa on September 1, 1942, during World War II. The highest number aerial victories for a single day was claimed by Emil Lang, who claimed 18 Soviet fighters on November 3, 1943. Erich Rudorffer is credited with the destruction of 13 aircraft in a single mission on October 11, 1943. Numerous other Luftwaffe pilots also claimed the title during World War II.

On December 5, 1941, the leading Australian ace of World War II, Clive Caldwell, destroyed five German aircraft in the space of a few minutes, also in North Africa. He received a Distinguished Flying Cross for the feat.

During World War II, 68 US pilots — 43 US Army Air Forces, 18 US Navy, and seven US Marine Corps — were credited the feat, including David McCampbell, who claimed seven Japanese planes shot down on June 19, 1944 (during the "Marianas Turkey Shoot"), and nine in a single mission on October 24, 1944. Others included Joe Foss, Chuck Yeager and Oscar Francis Perdomo, the last US "ace in a day".

Other pilots to have claimed "ace in a day" status during World War II include Antoni Glowacki of Poland, during the Battle of Britain, and Jorma Sarvanto of Finland, during the Winter War. Captain Hans Wind of HLeLv 24, Finnish Air Force, scored five kills in in a day a remarkable five times during the Soviet Summer Offensive 1944, a total of 30 kills in 12 days, of his final tally of 75.

The last pilot credited with this feat was Pakistani F-86 pilot Squadron Leader Muhammad Mahmood Alam, during the 1965 war with India. During the war, he downed nine Hawker Hunters of the Indian Air Force in a single day, five of them reportedly within three minutes.
If we assume from these. To be an "Ace" I would assume that it's 5 kills total. Then you got the "Ace a day" deal which is 5 kills that day ^^

edit-

I am looking for back copies of the Magi-Cu magazines. But I don't really know where I can go look for them. Do anyone know of any place that sell back issues of them? The same for Megami Creators and Dengeki G's Festival magazines ^^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-03-21 at 00:19.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 20:31   Link #1365
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Okay, here's a question.

Why most of Japanese artist or game creator uses alias on their work? Is it okay for something like copyright and another legal issues?

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 21:45   Link #1366
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Okay, here's a question.

Why most of Japanese artist or game creator uses alias on their work? Is it okay for something like copyright and another legal issues?
Here's from the freepatentonline-
Quote:
An apparatus and method is provided for allowing users to share services without sharing identities. Specifically, the apparatus and method allow users to share pseudonyms instead of actual user names, thus protecting both users from unwanted emails, IM messages, and the like. The invention provides an introduction scheme, which comprises a simple and secure way of establishing a user to user link. A preferred embodiment incorporates services of a linked federation network service, such as AOL's Liberty Alliance service, without exposing real user names to other users.
I would assume the same as I do draw myself and I do not want to use my real name for my creations. It creates animosity to a degree even though the style will linked to that alias or pseudonym. A favorite singer of mine, by the name of Rurutia also use that pseudonym meaning tracking down her real name is a downer. It also creates a secondary identity for you too ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-03-23, 21:46   Link #1367
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I wouldn't imagine that it's any different than writers using pen names, or all of us using aliases on a message forum (although it could be argued that we don't use our names for security reasons).
Old 2008-03-23, 21:53   Link #1368
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I see. Anymore reading for this topic? If so please share the link for me.

I'm still kinda confused with this alias thing since i'm kinda worry that there's another people that claim that the alias is his/hers...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 21:57   Link #1369
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That's partly where copyright comes into play. Nothing prevents one person from claiming that they're someone else (even when it comes down to real names), but you'd probably be able to tell a fake from the real person relatively easily.

I think most of these artists do copyright their works. Thus, if an imposter came about and tried selling those works or doing something of that sort, the threat of a lawsuit could be brought against them by the original artist.
Old 2008-03-23, 22:03   Link #1370
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
I see. Anymore reading for this topic? If so please share the link for me.

I'm still kinda confused with this alias thing since i'm kinda worry that there's another people that claim that the alias is his/hers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
That's partly where copyright comes into play. Nothing prevents one person from claiming that they're someone else (even when it comes down to real names), but you'd probably be able to tell a fake from the real person relatively easily.

I think most of these artists do copyright their works. Thus, if an imposter came about and tried selling those works or doing something of that sort, the threat of a lawsuit could be brought against them by the original artist.
Yup ^^. This is from the US Copyright for Pseudonym. I did have this at first but I didn't think you would need it. Though i'm not sure how sure or effective it is outside of the United States.

Quote:
A pseudonym or pen name may be used by an author of a copyrighted work. A work is pseudonymous if the author is identified on copies or phonorecords of that work by a fictitious name (nicknames or other diminutive forms of one’s legal name are not considered “fictitious”). As is the case with other names, the pseudonym itself is not protected by copyright.

If you are writing under a pseudonym but wish to be identified by your legal name in the records of the Copyright Office, you should give your legal name followed by your pseudonym at the “name of author” line at space 2 of the application (example: “Judith Barton whose pseudonym is Madeline Elster”). You should also check “yes” in the box at space 2 which asks “Was this author’s contribution to the work pseudonymous?” If the author is identified in the records of the Copyright Office, the term of the copyright is the author’s life plus 70 years.

If you are writing under a pseudonym but do not wish to have your identity revealed in the records of the Copyright Office, you should give your pseudonym and identify it as such (example: “Huntley Haverstock, pseudonym”) or you may leave the “name of author” space blank. You must, however, identify the citizenship or domicile of the author.

In no case should space 4 (name of copyright claimant) be left blank. You may use a pseudonym in completing the claimant space, but you should also be aware that if a copyright is held under a fictitious name, business dealings involving that property may raise questions of ownership of the copyright property. You should consult an attorney for legal advice on these matters.

If the author is not identified in the records of the Copyright Office, the term of copyright is 95 years from publication of the work, or 120 years from its creation, whichever term expires first. If the author’s identity is later revealed in the records of the Copyright Office, the copyright term then becomes the author’s life plus 70 years.

Old 2008-03-27, 07:20   Link #1371
escimo
Paparazzi

Silly anime related question.
I've wondered for a while what's the story behind pink explosions in many mecha animes.
Is it something that someone started and everybody just seemed to go along or is there for example a reference to the use of some chemical or substance? At least I have no knowledge about materials naturally producing pink smoke when burned.
Insight anyone?
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 14:58   Link #1372
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Pink smoke is pretty.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 16:34   Link #1373
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Pink smoke is pretty.
Are you serious, nosanninwa?

Old 2008-03-27, 20:52   Link #1374
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Ok, i've got a question for the mods/regular posters. I see many new topic contain th line spoilers=ban. But is'nt that what spoiler tags are for? What are we allowed to put inside spoiler tags before it becomes "prohibited spoilers? (P.S. this is for a general discussion thread, not one with a [manga] tag)
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 22:45   Link #1375
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

For me its easy.. If its not yet shown in the episode = not allowed.. If its shown on raw, but the subs not out yet = spoiler tag.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 23:03   Link #1376
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
For me its easy.. If its not yet shown in the episode = not allowed.. If its shown on raw, but the subs not out yet = spoiler tag.
Yeah that's pretty much it. Usually if you put manga information in a thread that doesn't specifically have [MANGA] in its title, then it means ban. If the episode's not subbed, then it goes in a spoiler tag, and most of the time, up to one day after the episode is subbed, courteous people will put possible spoilers in spoiler tags anyways. Previews are not supposed to be discussed in episode/character threads at all and they should go into speculation threads, but people do it anyways and no one really cares.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 01:29   Link #1377
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Yep, same here.

If people use spoiler tags to post stuff about the source of any given anime (i.e:manga - game) in an episode or general thread, there's a chance others will comment on that, hence turning the original spoiler tag useless.

Best not to take chances and leave the whole thing out of those threads, I say.
Old 2008-03-28, 17:34   Link #1378
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Silly anime related question.
I've wondered for a while what's the story behind pink explosions in many mecha animes.
Is it something that someone started and everybody just seemed to go along or is there for example a reference to the use of some chemical or substance? At least I have no knowledge about materials naturally producing pink smoke when burned.
Insight anyone?
i oogly googled it for you...
the explosions is pink because of a chemistry effect between the particles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybug39
http://cc.oulu.fi/~kempmp/colours.html
This is a site caled the Physics of Coloured Fireworks. Na=Sodium, Cl=Chlorine, Ca=Calcium, SR=Strontium, CU=Copper, Ba=Barium, OH is Hydrogen and Oxygen in an ionic bond called Hydroxyl. This is what makes pH go up, it is what makes lye and lime so caustic.

Pink would be a mixture of elements. I have seen real pink explosions, but the basic charge was either gas or gunpowder. Of course it was but one of the resultant colors.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 18:03   Link #1379
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom
Ok, i've got a question for the mods/regular posters. I see many new topic contain th line spoilers=ban. But is'nt that what spoiler tags are for? What are we allowed to put inside spoiler tags before it becomes "prohibited spoilers? (P.S. this is for a general discussion thread, not one with a [manga] tag)
Just like the guidelines imply - spoilers about future events are not allowed to be posted [in weekly episode discussion threads] under any circumstances. I don't think we have many general discussion threads with the "no spoilers" guideline. (though i assume with "general" you meant ones not specifically labeled as [manga] threads). This rule is generally for series with their own subforums. That said, while you are allowed to post [properly tagged] spoilers in general discussion threads, we discourage such behavior. The source material threads exist for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
If the episode's not subbed, then it goes in a spoiler tag, and most of the time, up to one day after the episode is subbed, courteous people will put possible spoilers in spoiler tags anyways. Previews are not supposed to be discussed in episode/character threads at all and they should go into speculation threads, but people do it anyways and no one really cares.
To clarify on this: (under the assumption we are talking about weekly episode discussion threads) - no spoiler tags are required when discussing the events of the episode in the corresponding thread, regardless of whether it is subbed or not. Episode X information goes in to Episode x Thread, simple as that. Putting spoiler tags is a matter of courtesy, but i don't know why one would expect episode's contents to be spoiler-tagged in thread designated specifically for said episode.

As for previews: as long as they are a part of the actual episode i see no problems with it being brought up in the episode thread. (But they indeed should not be discussed in character discussion threads).
Old 2008-03-29, 17:23   Link #1380
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

Is there an image editing program that will allow me to do something like cut out one of these girls perfectly around her without cutting part of her off or cutting part of the rest of the picture with here, so that all I'll have is the girl?
Spoiler for big pic:
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious