Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 12:04   Link #2081
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
I don't feel any pity for Shion this time. He really deserves this.
I think you'd have to steer from merely stupid to actual evil territory before you deserve what happens to him. Besides, if he wasn't foolishly trusting, he'd never have heard of murim in the first place. He'd still be just this bullied guy with the sickly body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I think it's pretty obvious what's going to happen. When the doc injects whatever to purify Shioon's innards. He underestimated Shioon's god mod healing and it has the opposite effect. Then cue Save Shioon Squad to rescue him and boom there you have Shioon with access to ki. However, instead of one little center it'll probably be his entire body somehow...

He'll probably go through some sort of trial and error to get it under control. That's when the secret Black Heaven and Earth bit will come into play. About the time he finally gets it and has fought the baddies for awhile. We'll probably be seeing the end of this second part. The author will leave us on some cliffhanger like the last one did with him finally meeting 9AD or something...
Eh. As long as we can close that "Shioon is completely helpless chapter"... I think I said it once, but I wouldn't mind him getting his ki-center back by ingesting mail order penile enhancement pills. Just get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
ZZzzzz at least I hope for one thing. That crazy doctor will be mercilessly killed by someone, be it sunwoo or anyone else.
If Shion will go his usual Mesiah style and ask them to forgive him, I will loose all hope for him and just hope that his balls will shrink so that his stupid genes wont spread out anymore.
To the doc's corpse: "Sorry, I was going to tell them to spare you, but I had a ball gag on at the time..."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 07:37   Link #2082
Azure-Priest

All this Shioon hate, and yet nobody notices how EVERYONE ELSE in Murim acts. I'd rather deal with a "stupidly honest" guy like him any day over all these self-styled "smart" people who will kidnap, rape, murder and then turn around and say "it's your own fault for being weak/stupid."
Azure-Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 08:33   Link #2083
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure-Priest View Post
All this Shioon hate, and yet nobody notices how EVERYONE ELSE in Murim acts. I'd rather deal with a "stupidly honest" guy like him any day over all these self-styled "smart" people who will kidnap, rape, murder and then turn around and say "it's your own fault for being weak/stupid."
And that's why even if it was 10% real he would be dead after few chapters. No fight magic, just one dead hero.

Murim is like underground Yakuza/Mafia/Gangs. Once you get there you don't run around handing out flowers showing peace signs with his hands, and saying that they should love each other.

"Smart" antagonists are what they are, stupid ppl who think they ate them all (brains that is).
Other leaders are like normal Godfathers, smart, collected, thoughtful, but you cross them the wrong way and you will see yourself with concrete shoes at the bottom of river in next 24 hours.

Shion just picked the fucing wrong genre to play in. He should go into some stupid kids fight manga, or some Romance story. He is stupid but nice, so he would do nicely as romance protagonist or some kids manga hero (as 99% of them are braindead or lobotomized).
Old 2012-05-19, 14:56   Link #2084
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure-Priest View Post
Sorry, but being seen half-naked, ball-gagged, and tied up like that is nothing to be proud of.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 15:06   Link #2085
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Shioon acts less like an action manga hero and more like your typical loser harem hero. He's definitely in the wrong genre. The only real action type manga he'd fit in are those harem-fighting hybrids where the guys sits around spewing cliche phrases to make the girls fall for him while they do all the fighting. I hate those kinds of manga. You know, Rappi Rangai, Sekirei (which wasn't actually too bad, but is just dragging on way too long), Zero In, most Im-Dap Young crap, etc. Just couldn't stand the main guy standing around doing nothing 95% of time.
Old 2012-05-19, 15:54   Link #2086
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
And that's why even if it was 10% real he would be dead after few chapters. No fight magic, just one dead hero.

Murim is like underground Yakuza/Mafia/Gangs. Once you get there you don't run around handing out flowers showing peace signs with his hands, and saying that they should love each other.

"Smart" antagonists are what they are, stupid ppl who think they ate them all (brains that is).
Other leaders are like normal Godfathers, smart, collected, thoughtful, but you cross them the wrong way and you will see yourself with concrete shoes at the bottom of river in next 24 hours.

Shion just picked the fucing wrong genre to play in. He should go into some stupid kids fight manga, or some Romance story. He is stupid but nice, so he would do nicely as romance protagonist or some kids manga hero (as 99% of them are braindead or lobotomized).
Shioon is a realistic potroyal of a ordinary guy that is thrown into a mafia world. Of course he's going to try to use ordinary morals and values to judge the mafia world. It isn't like any of us will do any better if we're thrown inside such a world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Sorry, but being seen half-naked, ball-gagged, and tied up like that is nothing to be proud of.
Of course it isn't. Does it look like Shioon is proud of being gagged like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Shioon acts less like an action manga hero and more like your typical loser harem hero. He's definitely in the wrong genre. The only real action type manga he'd fit in are those harem-fighting hybrids where the guys sits around spewing cliche phrases to make the girls fall for him while they do all the fighting. I hate those kinds of manga. You know, Rappi Rangai, Sekirei (which wasn't actually too bad, but is just dragging on way too long), Zero In, most Im-Dap Young crap, etc. Just couldn't stand the main guy standing around doing nothing 95% of time.
What are you talking about? Shioon wins most of the fights he actually had a chance to participate in. He certainly doesn't sit back in the sidelines and when push comes to shove can be fairly violent.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:14   Link #2087
KLGChaos
The Shermain

The only real fights I've seen him win were by the him landing one shot and the opponent giving up or against some nameless fodder. I wouldn't really call those victories... Or even important. The girls (and guys) around him are the ones doing the real fighting, pulling his *** out of the fire because he can't do it himself.

An action hero shouldn't be the damsel who needs to get saved in most fights. It doesn't make for an interesting protagonist, imo.
Old 2012-05-19, 16:16   Link #2088
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Shioon is a realistic potroyal of a ordinary guy that is thrown into a mafia world. Of course he's going to try to use ordinary morals and values to judge the mafia world. It isn't like any of us will do any better if we're thrown inside such a world.
In his place, I wouldn't use any kind of moral, normal or otherwise. I'd just cower under my bed all day. That's realistic.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:37   Link #2089
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
The only real fights I've seen him win were by the him landing one shot and the opponent giving up or against some nameless fodder. I wouldn't really call those victories... Or even important. The girls (and guys) around him are the ones doing the real fighting, pulling his *** out of the fire because he can't do it himself.

An action hero shouldn't be the damsel who needs to get saved in most fights. It doesn't make for an interesting protagonist, imo.
What are you talking about? He defeated that Cool (still can't get over that name) guy just a couple chapters ago. You didn't considering defeating a guy on the same level as smiling sword a victory? Not only that but he saved Smiling Sword and Jinie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In his place, I wouldn't use any kind of moral, normal or otherwise. I'd just cower under my bed all day. That's realistic.
Actually Shioon was cowering at the start. When threatened by those thugs at the start of New Waves he was literally begging them to let him go. Although most of you will scoff and call it Shioon being a pussy I see it as more realistic.

It wasn't until character development kicked in that Shioon seriously started acting like a typical main character.
Old 2012-05-19, 17:04   Link #2090
Johnny
Working the bags...

He's won one maybe two fights if you count in the bully douche awhile back. The one most recent he fainted like a girl who caught the bouquet thrown at a wedding right afterwards. The bully douche fight is the only that he remained awake afterwards. That's for this part and part one included. Every other time he becomes a human meat bag that looks a truck ran over several times. I wouldn't call that a glowing endorsement of him being a bad ass. At being a Rocky Balboa impersonator, sure he's got that nailed down pat. However don't get me wrong, I want to see him a bad ass. It's just not happening in what you'd call a timely manner considering how far we've come chapter wise i.e 144 if IIRC...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 17:17   Link #2091
Log

Quote:
He's won one maybe two fights if you count in the bully douche awhile back. The one most recent he fainted like a girl who caught the bouquet thrown at a wedding right afterwards. The bully douche fight is the only that he remained awake afterwards. That's for this part and part one included. Every other time he becomes a human meat bag that looks a truck ran over several times. I wouldn't call that a glowing endorsement of him being a bad ass. At being a Rocky Balboa impersonator, sure he's got that nailed down pat.
His fight against Cool was badass in that Cool was so much stronger then him in terms of all stats yet he still managed to pull of a victory without relying on a asspull saving him. Given how much Cool pounded him during that fight, him fainting afterward was perfectly justified.

Sure he's not a shining testement of badass but he's not nearly as bad as some people are making him be. The fact that someone was comparing him to useless harem protognists is by far one of the most overly exaggerated thing I've heard about a character.

Quote:
However don't get me wrong, I want to see him a bad ass. It's just not happening in what you'd call a timely manner considering how far we've come chapter wise i.e 144 if IIRC...
I also want him to be badass but I think some of you are being to quick to judge. I think that a lot of us here should be more patiant and wait for more character developments and training monatages before making a judgement. 144 isn't a lot of chapters especially since most of the New Wave chapters are used to introduce new characters.
Old 2012-05-19, 17:22   Link #2092
Johnny
Working the bags...

No, I'm not being too quick to judge. You like very little developments in your MC after that many chapters then good for you. I myself like to except more from my main character after that long period of time. The rest button being pushed was a major set back to the story...
Old 2012-05-19, 17:27   Link #2093
Log

Quote:
No, I'm not being too quick to judge. You like very little developments in your MC after that many chapters then good for you. I myself like to except more from my main character after that long period of time. The rest button being pushed was a major set back to the story...
I wasn't exactly referring just to you when I said some of you are to quick to judge.

And yeah reset bottum is a bitch. It doesn't really help that author spends chapter after chapter focusing on new characters instead of Shioon.

And Shioon is getting better. Getting from cowering to the ground in the begginning of New Waves to basically saying fuck you to someone that was going to kill him is a change of character. Maybe not good enough for you but I feel it's getting somewhere.
Old 2012-05-19, 20:24   Link #2094
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think that things have been kinda boring for a while now. Shioon's fight with Mr. Cool wasn't really that impressive to me honestly. The only interesting things that has happen in this series is (a)Elder Kwon kickin' some ass, (b) Sera educating Shioon, and (c) Jinie getting closer to Shioon. That's about it. Everything else isn't really special in my opinion. Note that the only fight that has been worthy to be interesting to me is Elder Kwon's fights.

When you compare his progress in the original to how much he's progressed in NW(not considering his downgrade), considering the chapter count(i.e. 72 chps of TB, & 72 chps of NW), he's developed FAR less in this new series than the old one. Even if I don't consider his emo suicide days, he's still done more than the whole 72 chaps of NW, esp if you refer to fighting. It was exhilarating seeing him fight Hyun so Chin, knowing he had no chance of success, but still fought with all he had; him escaping capture from the Alliance members for a whole day and, completely spent, fought against the Alliance's strongest member, Kangsung; a beach chapter(well, a couple of pages); Shiho(though Sera is close as we can get right now); him finally decking the bully after all the torment he's put Shioon through(and specifically after his badass warning to him about messing with Saehee); and the list goes on. This new series just hasn't lived up to the greatness of its predecessor.

Will it get better? I believe it will. Perhaps it was the author's intention to make this half of the series longer, less 'run&gun', and more fleshed out. Maybe when Part 2 is done, from an overall perspective, it will be as good as the original. But right now, NW is considerably behind TB in every way possible.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 00:34   Link #2095
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Meh, I haven't read this in a while, so I didn't even know he won a fight. From what I remember, the only fights he actually won in New Waves was against the fat boy early on and the idiotic bully. Every other fight, Jinie or someone else had to step in to save him. And considering you can't remember the name of the guy he just beat, he couldn't be too impressive.

I just have a huge dislike for resets, especially when the author then drags things out. It's lazy and it's the sign of a bad writer just trying to milk things. If he wanted to restart the manga with Shioon as the hero, fine... But there's better ways than turning him into some punching bag that is only alive because of some magic pill that gives him infinite regeneration. It's like a bad version of Naruto with an S&M fetish.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:25   Link #2096
Azure-Priest

Quote:
He's won one maybe two fights if you count in the bully douche awhile back. The one most recent he fainted like a girl who caught the bouquet thrown at a wedding right afterwards. The bully douche fight is the only that he remained awake afterwards. That's for this part and part one included. Every other time he becomes a human meat bag that looks a truck ran over several times. I wouldn't call that a glowing endorsement of him being a bad ass. At being a Rocky Balboa impersonator, sure he's got that nailed down pat. However don't get me wrong, I want to see him a bad ass. It's just not happening in what you'd call a timely manner considering how far we've come chapter wise i.e 144 if IIRC...
Actually, he's been quite "realistic" since the "reset."

The fight outcomes have been a mixed bag.

While he loses most fights where he is outgunned or outnumbered, he HAS pulled off surprising victories when he can actually implement a strategy.

Victory 1.

A 300 lb thug who launches himself into the air and clobbers people by landing on them belly first.

Victory 2.

Goon Jung, the bully who turned him into paste most of season 1, and was only beaten at the end when Shinoo finally got his martial arts. In Season 2, he "suddenly" got martial arts which mirror Shioon's, and only now do we know why.

Victory 3.

"Goth Chain girl." While he didn't decisively defeat her, he DID manage to rescue Jinny and get away alive. That counts for something.

Victory 4.

"Cool Guy." Shioon beat a MASTER CLASS opponent there by using his opponent's own arrogance against him.

Overall, Shioon's skills can't be blamed, it's his naivete and "stupidly honest" innocence that's getting him in trouble more than the "broken Ki center."

BTW, Shioon is NOT proud of himself in any way, and anyone who says that he is, obviously HASN'T BEEN READING THE STORY. Shioon WAS depressed because he blames himself for what happened to his mother, and being taken hostage by a MASTER CLASS opponent before the Sun Woo clan.

Now he's angry, not only because he was betrayed by this "doctor," but because the SUC have betrayed the "code of honor" of this entire "Mafia" society embraces.

Oh there WILL be payback. Just wait for it.
Azure-Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 19:08   Link #2097
DarkLordOfkichiku

Cover for chapter 73 up at the artist's blog:

http://blog.naver.com/tdstudio/100158664380

Spoiler for cover:
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 20:23   Link #2098
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

yea its Sera
Old 2012-05-22, 20:24   Link #2099
Richocet
Lover of Purity

seems like someone is getting ready for a race??
Old 2012-05-22, 20:32   Link #2100
Johnny
Working the bags...

A race to save Shioon's anal virginity...

Tags
gar, harem, manhwa, martial arts, new waves