AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-22, 20:35   Link #461
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I was always under the impression that MS gave out updates for security reasons. If one Windows PC gets compromised, it could be a doorway into getting those around it compromised. So they do their best to make every Windows machine secure, even the ones that they didn't get money from.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 02:31   Link #462
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I was always under the impression that MS gave out updates for security reasons. If one Windows PC gets compromised, it could be a doorway into getting those around it compromised. So they do their best to make every Windows machine secure, even the ones that they didn't get money from.
aye, it isn't an impression - its standard policy. They don't advertise it loudly but they provide updates to any machine that asks for it.
Old 2012-11-23, 09:39   Link #463
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Aren't they likely to ban those keys or something? At least in terms of being able to get updates (not that it was ever hard to trick windows update...).
They wouldn't be able to since they can't tell which keys have been used legitimately and which haven't (this isn't like the key abuse that happened before since anyone can get a media pack key).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 10:51   Link #464
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Does Windows 8 have Windows Speech Recognition like Vista and 7 before?
Old 2012-11-23, 11:00   Link #465
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Does Windows 8 have Windows Speech Recognition like Vista and 7 before?
Yes, it does.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 22:50   Link #466
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's a somewhat good sign for Microsoft Surface ... MS is cementing in four years of support for WinRT (which is far longer than other tablet makers are offering at the moment. So security fixes and patches for at least 4 years.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-commi...rs-7000007844/
Old 2012-12-02, 19:05   Link #467
AnimeFan188

Windows 8 uptake: More like Vista than Windows 7:

"After a month on the market, Windows 8's usage uptake resembles 2007's Vista --
ultimately a poor performer for Microsoft -- rather than the eventually successful
Windows 7, a Web measurement company said Saturday."

"The difference may have little to do with the two operating systems and all to do
with economics and choice: The global economy was significantly more robust in
early 2007 than it is now, and five years ago consumers had few alternatives to a
PC, since smartphones and tablets were then just a gleam in engineers' eyes."

See:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...than_Windows_7
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 19:22   Link #468
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think that computerworld analysis is missing a few key differences -- no tie-in with popular applications (DX11, games, etc.). There's simply no driving reason to upgrade to win8, so the change will be organic. As computers or replaced, as drivers appear so people can use their hardware items, etc.
Old 2012-12-02, 19:24   Link #469
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm just gonna wait for Windows 9 (or whatever gimmicky name they come up for it) and upgrade to that, since the Windows precedent states that a good OS will follow a bad one. For now, I'm putting 7 Professional on my new build.
Old 2012-12-02, 19:27   Link #470
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I'm just gonna wait for Windows 9 (or whatever gimmicky name they come up for it) and upgrade to that, since the Windows precedent states that a good OS will follow a bad one. For now, I'm putting 7 Professional on my new build.
Same for me. I've seen it, not convinced by the approach; sometimes good intentions are just not good enough.
Old 2012-12-02, 19:41   Link #471
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Don't know if anyone checked out the official Windows 8 page, but I think this is what the Start panel was designed for. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford ridiculously expensive touchscreen monitors and the such.

The pages are also littered with images of tablets and other touch-oriented devices. It's too bad Microsoft forgot what most people use an OS on.
Old 2012-12-02, 20:31   Link #472
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What makes you think it's useful even with that?

I prefer standing (while at home) over sitting since my work involves a lot of sitting as-is. Yes touch screens have some utility, however quite frankly I'd rather have the OS be controlled with a wireless controller rather then a touch controller; a hell of a lot more benefits. It's much more interesting to be able to move around with out being stuck in one place. Touch doesn't really solve that; it's not like just because mobile and touch have become almost synonymous to each other, they are suddenly the same thing.

Regarding tablets, I don't think I can make it interface with my android tablet. It also seems like you need one of those huge ass things (yuk; those are for the bed-stricken-people), and unless I'm mistaken most tablet nerds are on apple-drugs. As for graphic tablets, those behave like any regular mouse, even when you use only your fingers on them.

Oh and about that picture. From my experience, that there looks like a really uncomfortable swing forward, height seems slightly off and the monitor should be facing upwards more. But hey the photo would probably not look as good. For what it's worth a proper setup typically would involve suspended monitors if possible (the ones where you can position the monitor around).

-

The only legitimate use for it as I see it is laptops; when you don't have the room or physical aid to plug a mouse in. Sounds plausible, but really how often does it happen these days? And for all the fuss, it's not that much better anyway...
Old 2012-12-02, 21:14   Link #473
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Research Firm Says Windows 8 Had a Rocky Start

Quote:
Unit sales of Windows PCs in retail stores in the United States fell 21 percent in the four-week period spanning Oct. 21 to Nov. 17, compared to the same period the previous year, according to the firm.

NPD said sales of Windows 8 tablets had been “almost nonexistent,” accounting for less than 1 percent of all Windows 8 device sales. NPD collects sales data in weekly increments, so the week of Oct. 21 was the first in its system to include sales of Windows 8, which went on sale on Oct. 26.

The figures suggest that Windows 8 did nothing to arrest the downward trajectory of the PC business, much less lead to a rebound in a market that has been struggling for some time.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 21:33   Link #474
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What makes you think it's useful even with that?

I prefer standing (while at home) over sitting since my work involves a lot of sitting as-is. Yes touch screens have some utility, however quite frankly I'd rather have the OS be controlled with a wireless controller rather then a touch controller; a hell of a lot more benefits. It's much more interesting to be able to move around with out being stuck in one place. Touch doesn't really solve that; it's not like just because mobile and touch have become almost synonymous to each other, they are suddenly the same thing.

Regarding tablets, I don't think I can make it interface with my android tablet. It also seems like you need one of those huge ass things (yuk; those are for the bed-stricken-people), and unless I'm mistaken most tablet nerds are on apple-drugs. As for graphic tablets, those behave like any regular mouse, even when you use only your fingers on them.

Oh and about that picture. From my experience, that there looks like a really uncomfortable swing forward, height seems slightly off and the monitor should be facing upwards more. But hey the photo would probably not look as good. For what it's worth a proper setup typically would involve suspended monitors if possible (the ones where you can position the monitor around).

-

The only legitimate use for it as I see it is laptops; when you don't have the room or physical aid to plug a mouse in. Sounds plausible, but really how often does it happen these days? And for all the fuss, it's not that much better anyway...
Nothing. I never thought it changed how useful it was, I was just stating it was obviously designed with that in mind. But yeah, a mouse works fine.
Old 2012-12-03, 03:57   Link #475
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Windows 7 all the way, best OS since XP! I'm not very fond of the new Windows 8 look, and the touchy screen stuff. My mouse will always be my right hand man for computer stuff!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 05:11   Link #476
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think that computerworld analysis is missing a few key differences -- no tie-in with popular applications (DX11, games, etc.). There's simply no driving reason to upgrade to win8, so the change will be organic. As computers or replaced, as drivers appear so people can use their hardware items, etc.
There's also the little thorny issue that Windows 8 and its tight integration with XBOX Live has game developers worried about walled gardens.

So much so that Valve has been pushing Steam into Linux quite strongly, and with enough clout that even the GPU manufacturers are starting to play ball...
Old 2012-12-03, 05:25   Link #477
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There's also the little thorny issue that Windows 8 and its tight integration with XBOX Live has game developers worried about walled gardens.

So much so that Valve has been pushing Steam into Linux quite strongly, and with enough clout that even the GPU manufacturers are starting to play ball...
Aye, considering gaming was the primary reason I was still bothering with Windows at all in my personal life .... yeah, walled garden trends are not making me comfortable. Watching Steam and the Nvidia movements into Linux carefully ...
Old 2012-12-03, 07:43   Link #478
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, considering gaming was the primary reason I was still bothering with Windows at all in my personal life .... yeah, walled garden trends are not making me comfortable. Watching Steam and the Nvidia movements into Linux carefully ...
Only real reason I keep Windows really. That and Office (seriously, Open/Libre/whateverOffice can't compete with MS Office).
Old 2012-12-03, 14:23   Link #479
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

So, will Windows 8 be a huge step forward ......... for Linux?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 15:31   Link #480
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
So, will Windows 8 be a huge step forward ......... for Linux?
Nothing is ever a step forward for Linux. If it couldn't got beyond 1% in desktop market when Vista was around, like hell it's gonna move forward. Too much fragmentation, too much elitism, too much denial of reality.