Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-16, 20:22   Link #1
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

Darkly profound?

I'm looking for something kind of along the lines of Kino's Journey, Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon, Haibane Renmei, Shigofumi... you know, something kind of dark and quiet that has a kind of profoundness to it. Nothing too comedy, no silly faces (or very little), no fanservice (although romance in general is ok), and I'm not really looking for outright horror, either. Some comedy is ok, but I'd like the point of the series to be the serious parts of it.

I've seen a fair amount of anime already, my list is here. Thanks so much!
Old 2011-02-16, 20:49   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Texhnolyze

It's a cyberpunk really... One of the main topics is simply the evolution of man.

EDIT: It seems you have Ergo Proxy stalled in your list. So I'll just recommend Texhnolyze.
Old 2011-02-16, 21:33   Link #3
Bingbing

Casshern Sins

Casshern sins fits pretty good. I'll come back if I can think of anything else.
Old 2011-02-16, 22:35   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The first show that came to mind is Natsume Yuujinchou. You might also want to take a look at Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke.

I don't see any of these on your list.
Old 2011-02-16, 23:40   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Banner of the Stars II?

Of course you'll need to watch Crest of the Stars first, but that's a good anime series so it won't hurt you.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-02-17, 03:04   Link #6
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

why you stop wathing Ergo Proxy? it fits your dark theme preference, i say give it another chance if you just saw like first 3-5 episodes of it
Old 2011-02-17, 06:52   Link #7
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Profound, Quaint, Dramatic and Dark. Just the kind of stuff u looking for. Watch them you will love it. Not horror in particular but serious stuff.

Kara no Kyoukai aka Garden of Sinners
Kurozuka
Bakemonogatai - bit of romantic comedy, but in its own league. I won't think any less of it, but let me warn you too much talking in it.
Old 2011-02-17, 06:57   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Eh I actually find nothing "really dark" in Time of Eve or Haibane Renmei.

But if you want dark and profound... I'm going to say Bokurano and Now and Then, Here and There.
Old 2011-02-17, 11:15   Link #9
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

True, Haibane Renmei and Time of Eve aren't "dark" per say, but they do have a kind of serious feel to them bordering on psychological that I like.

I watched 13 episodes of Ergo Proxy with a friend... you're right, I should finish it. I'd forgotten about that one. No idea why we quit in the middle exactly... I remember liking it.

I did watch a bit of Bakemonogatari, and I really did like the themes and it was a beautiful anime, but there was just too much fanservice to make it worth it for me, so I dropped it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to watch Casshern Sins, Bokurano, and Natsume Yuujinchou right away. I'll look at the others, too. ^_^ If there's any more suggestions I'd be glad to have them!
Old 2011-02-17, 11:37   Link #10
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'll definitely refer you to Umi Monogatari. It's a darker magical girl anime, but do be warned the first few episodes are really standard stuff. I'm not sure about the fanservice part given the setting of the story, though.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-02-17, 12:03   Link #11
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaChaz View Post

I did watch a bit of Bakemonogatari, and I really did like the themes and it was a beautiful anime, but there was just too much fanservice to make it worth it for me, so I dropped it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to watch Casshern Sins, Bokurano, and Natsume Yuujinchou right away. I'll look at the others, too. ^_^ If there's any more suggestions I'd be glad to have them!
Bakemonogatari is certainly not overdose of fanservice, but its not clean either. Any ways ur call.

But do watch Kara no Kyoukai, its amazing treat if u like dark, psyco.... stuff, one of my favs. And no fan service at all lols....
Old 2011-02-17, 12:46   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think you'll like Casshern SINS, and Mushishi.

I also second Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2011-02-18, 11:31   Link #13
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Kara no Kyoukai aka Garden of Sinners
The Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Serial Experiments Lain
Zettai Shounen
Bartender
Dennou Coil

Would have said Mushishi but you've watched it and liked it.
Old 2011-02-18, 12:02   Link #14
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I've seen Dennou Coil, Lain, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and liked them, especially the first two. I'll definitely check out the others. Thanks!

Maybe I'm misremembering for Bakemonogatari. Wouldn't be the first time... I'll re-check it out.
Old 2011-02-20, 09:20   Link #15
matrixdutch

Quote:
I'm looking for something kind of along the lines of Kino's Journey, Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon, Haibane Renmei,
Marry me!

Quote:
I divorce you!

Quote:
Maybe I'm misremembering for Bakemonogatari. Wouldn't be the first time... I'll re-check it out.
Marry me!

No, but seriously, I'm a bit surprised you didn't like Bakemonogatari, but you enjoyed Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei (on my top 5 list). Episode 10 of Bakemonogatari was very human, and an incredible stand alone episode.

Here's a little write-up I did:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=100208

Here's what I think you would like:

Niea Under 7
Planetes
Windy Tales
Angel Beats!
Durarara!!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Mizu no Kotoba

Not exactly dark, but solid slice of life.

Old 2011-02-20, 12:52   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I'm looking for something kind of along the lines of Kino's Journey, Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon, Haibane Renmei, Shigofumi... you know, something kind of dark and quiet that has a kind of profoundness to it. Nothing too comedy, no silly faces (or very little), no fanservice (although romance in general is ok), and I'm not really looking for outright horror, either.
Quote:
True, Haibane Renmei and Time of Eve aren't "dark" per say, but they do have a kind of serious feel to them bordering on psychological that I like.
I'm currently watching Flag, which employs a faux-documentary aesthetic that I enjoy greatly (think live-action movies like REC or Cloverfield, and you get what I mean). The character and mecha designs are surprisingly realistic, reminiscent of the ones used in Production I.G movies like Ghost in the Shell.

And the show — about an embedded journalist's first-hand experience of war while attached to a special-operations unit entrenched in a fictional country inspired by real-world Tibet — is itself a brooding meditation on the power of media, and the use of military violence to keep or break civil peace.

Old 2011-02-20, 12:59   Link #17
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Elfen Lied is my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm currently watching Flag, which employs a faux-documentary aesthetic that I enjoy greatly (think live-action movies like REC or Cloverfield, and you get what I mean). The character and mecha designs are surprisingly realistic, reminiscent of the ones used in Production I.G movies like Ghost in the Shell.

And the show — about an embedded journalist's first-hand experience of war while attached to a special-operations unit entrenched in a fictional country inspired by real-world Tibet — is itself a brooding meditation on the power of media, and the use of military violence to keep or break civil peace.

Is it me or this radiates a usual feel of heavy Korean-Vietnam war atrocities, with US military superiority, finished off with a touch of Mogadishu?

The first two are a little too overused IMO and often exaggerated, but the last bit makes it look interesting. Might watch it if I have time, but then again, I have a backlog of this season's stuff like Madoka Magica, Freezing, Level E, Gosick, Dragon Crisis, Fractale, etc, plus I no longer have the luxury of sitting down and watching two to three anime in one go like I used to.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-02-20, 15:23   Link #18
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

You want dark, quiet and profound...watch Mouryou no Hako. Along the same lines but not as dark Run Melos from Aoi Bungaku, its epis 7 and 8 I think though all of Aoi Bungaku might fit. Also agree with Mononoke, Natsume and Bokurano.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2011-02-21 at 12:19.
Old 2011-02-21, 11:49   Link #19
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
Seems as though you are going for the psychological anime, in which case try these:

Jigoku Shoujo
Vampire Princess Miyu
Death Note
Shiki

I didn't see any of these in your list, so see if they interest you. Miyu and Jigoku Shoujo are both very similar in theme to Shigofumi, as there's still that ominous atmosphere combined with the paranormal. Shiki might be a bit much as far as horror is concerned, but the gore factor isn't too bad and there's an interesting plot to it, so you may like it none the less.
Old 2011-03-13, 11:22   Link #20
Navel

Anime with a bit of profoundness can be found in more than one genre:
- Ergo Proxy, Cassshern Sins, Neon Genesis Evangelion - are more dark, rely on a certain type of world, highly symbolic
- Gundam SEED, Infinite Ryvius - have great themes behind them, and heavily driven by character interactions
- Honey and Clover, Kare Kano, even Nana, are romances, but with plenty of brain food for who relates to the age, and issues of the characters
- all Ghibli animes look like they are simple, but when you get older there is that "something" that feels profound in them
... and so on.

I would also mention some anime that, although not "profound" in their theme, have a certain complexity of the story and characters, which goes beyond the common, like Gankutsuou, or Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Closed Thread