AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-06, 13:27   Link #1
Tier3

Looking for a rich universe

Well I just finished up Last Exile and was literally BLOWN AWAY. I loved it.

When I say rich universe I mean:

Eureka 7
Gurren Laggan
Last Exile
Berserk

Preferably animes like those with HUGE MYSTERIES that unravel towards the end, war, good character development and a lot of characters (while still keeping depth).

A good soundtrack is a bonus too. Romance is optional (and frowned upon if there is too much).

Also PLEASE AVOID shounen. I like it when the director has the ability to do what he wants with the series without worrying about catering to kids. The series listed above can get away with it, but no super long series like Bleach or Naruto please.
Old 2009-01-06, 14:25   Link #2
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Simoun - similar to Last Exile. War situation, original sci-fi setting, lots of mysteries in the main plotline, many developed characters. Awesome soundtrack.

Towards the Terra
The Twelve Kingdoms

Old 2009-01-06, 16:59   Link #3
Niji

Utawarerumono sounds like a great fit. Rich universe, great characters, great plot, and indeed a mystery from the very first minute onwards.
Seirei no Moribito might fit as well. There is some romance, it is not central though. Lead is female, and awesome spear-fighter. Great production values, gripping story, the mystery is not as "volcanic" as in Utawarerumono, but still well made.

And seconding Twelve Kingdoms. Apart of the unfinished arcs, and a slow start, it is an awesome anime. Rich universe indeed, great chars, great soundtrack, great production values.
Old 2009-01-06, 22:45   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Is this one okay?

Star Ocean EX: Huge mysteries, lots of character development, war.. However, the anime is an adaptation of the manga, not the game.
Old 2009-01-07, 00:17   Link #5
blewin

You might like Full Metal Alchemist. It's similar to E7 despite being in different genre.

also, Scrapped Princess: sci-fic + fantasy, clues and hints dropping here and there, resolving to a huge mystery in the end.

Dennou Coil - urban sci-fic. About computers and virus and the real world. Lots of mysteries and clues. Quite an anime despite the childish outlook. Worth checking out.
Old 2009-01-07, 05:43   Link #6
meh

I guess the setting should be a fictional one? Claymore comes to mind. As does Gurren Lagann(the latter kind of shounen IMO though). For a alternate earth universe, Code Geass.
Old 2009-01-07, 07:53   Link #7
Navel

Considering the ones you liked, I'm imagining you don't like only an immersive universe, but also great characters that interact a lot and evolve. I guess you'd enjoy:

- the currently airing Xam'd: you'll see right away that it comes from the same people that made Eureka 7
- Full Metal Alchemist, also has a very interesting background, and the characters are also rich and immerse you into the story
- Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED & SEED Destiny: you may have stereotypes about Gundam series, but do believe they have an interesting background, and have characters that elicit strong feelings in the viewers, as they play with their set of believes on what's right and wrong
- Kaiba: is really amazing from a weird unexpected universe point of view, but it's so different from the norm that it may not be that immersive; it does have interesting issues revealed, though
- Ergo Proxy: has a mysterious story that's being unraveled while the main characters travel across the globe
Old 2009-01-07, 08:57   Link #8
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'll second both Utawarerumono (especially) and Scrapped Princess for the reasons the other posters have already mentioned.
Old 2009-01-07, 19:28   Link #9
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I secord or third: Utawarerumono and Seirei no moribito..
Old 2009-01-08, 01:24   Link #10
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I don't know how you'll do with ecchi harem type anime, but the Tenchi OVAs and Tenchi GXP certainly offer a "rich universe".

I personally think that Tenchi GXP, which is a spin-off of the original Tenchi OVAs, is a lot more fun and interesting, because it explores the universe where the OVA's mostly confines the characters to Tenchi's house. But I think watching the OVA's first is critical to appreciating how the GXP explores the universe, as the OVA's establish who's who and the origin of key characters who, though playing minor roles in GXP, are foundational references for the world of GXP.

The entire Macross series and variants are also rich.

The Vision of Escaflowne is outstanding. Rarely do I like stuff of the fantasy genre. But like Last Exile, I could not get enough of the detailed world given to us in Escaflowne. Yoko Kanno had not surpassed her scores and volumes of music in this TV series. The mechanical designs are awesome, and the characters endearing...well, save for one.
Old 2009-01-08, 01:26   Link #11
Tier3

I have seen

Gurren Laggan
Code Geass
Claymore
Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist

I just watched the first 3 episodes of Utawarerumono and it seems promising! I also added Twelve Kingdoms on my list for after!
Closed Thread