AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-29, 12:19   Link #421
jedinat

I think it was a bit too early for an introspective outsider-looking-in episode like this. It felt like a recap episode but it's just a little too early into the series for that, lol.

Oh and yeah, seriously, I don't get why Japanese people who do voice acting for a living can suck so much at English. I know I can do pretty well at pronouncing Japanese (is it perhaps easier to go from English to Japanese, pronunciation-wise?) and I don't live in a country where Japanese is everywhere (like English is in Japan).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 12:34   Link #422
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
oh and yeah, seriously, i don't get why japanese people who do voice acting for a living can suck so much at english.
+1
---------------
Old 2011-04-29, 13:51   Link #423
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Oh and yeah, seriously, I don't get why Japanese people who do voice acting for a living can suck so much at English. I know I can do pretty well at pronouncing Japanese (is it perhaps easier to go from English to Japanese, pronunciation-wise?) and I don't live in a country where Japanese is everywhere (like English is in Japan).
Think it through in relation to the story - Jennifer Sato has been working for this organisation for only a few months. Part of me thinks that she was only learning the English language just after joining the organisation - so it would make sense for the Engrish to be lacking (i.e. the seiyuu was doing poor Engrish on purpose).

Honestly, the male (if that was engrish) did a really good job - good American twang to it imo (though what would I know, I'm British ).

Just a thought.

To be fair though, it does seem a little early to have been doing a outsider-looking-in ep - though that outsider may prove to be an integral part of the story, so who knows?
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 13:53   Link #424
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 3:
Old 2011-04-29, 14:09   Link #425
Jarmel

Well the Professor aspect should be highly interesting as we all know he's going to lose. We now get to see the consequences of what happens when you become bankrupt through the narrative role of the Professor.

I was also surprised by how quick and neat they wrapped up the father plotline. I thought that was going to be a MUCH bigger deal but they just got that out of the way quickly.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 14:45   Link #426
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
Think it through in relation to the story - Jennifer Sato has been working for this organisation for only a few months. Part of me thinks that she was only learning the English language just after joining the organisation - so it would make sense for the Engrish to be lacking (i.e. the seiyuu was doing poor Engrish on purpose).
There is a distinct difference between not being a very good English speaker and just reading lines in another language (badly).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 15:04   Link #427
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
There is a distinct difference between not being a very good English speaker and just reading lines in another language (badly).
True, just decided to look at it from another angle.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 17:22   Link #428
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2 and Speculah:
Yeah. Called it a week ago.

I'm very impressed by the route C is taking. Episode 3 could have been more shonen action asset fighting, but the writers decided to take one episode and unpack all the characters and their backstories. We have an investigator, a boss, and some random economic student. But each have their reasons for going into the Financial District. The investigator wants to prevent any future problems the Financial District could have upon the real world. The boss just wants to make a lot of money. And Kimimaro... he wants to learn more about his father.

A common problem with these explanatory episodes: They tend to overwhelm the viewer in information, causing boredom. Luckily, I did not feel episode 3 to be boring at all. We got a nice balance of factual information about the Financial District's rules, an cursory description of Kimimaro's father, and the introduction of a new main character. Furthermore, Kimimaro's father is set to have his backstory fleshed out in full later on in the series. Maybe he was the one Entrepreneur who found out the truth about the Financial District, the same truth our investigator is looking for.

About the Engrish... I thought the guy's English was quite clear and comprehensible. Maybe the woman could use a few more months in English-speaking society, but it was understandable as well.

Overall, I'd give this episode a high rating of 9/10 for being very engaging.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 21:03   Link #429
mysterious

Kimimaro: professor. Thanks for all those long hard assignments, the boring lectures, the D on quizzes and that C- on the midterm. yeah, I gonna kick your ass so hard that the university have to get a replacement for you (pun intend)

Professor: oh shit...

mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 00:26   Link #430
blewin

I'm understanding the anime a bit more after Jennifer's explanation of the setting. In here, it says you make money by having your future taken as "collateral". It makes sense in the real world though. Everything we do determines our future - choices in our study and work, choices in making friends and foes, choices in what's important and not so important to us. All these things alter our future. If we make a wrong move, our future can turn into hell. This anime magnifies the intense consequences of investing with money to make more money by dropping us into a ridiculous world governed by money without conscience. I think I can applaude the author for creating such a setting.

as for whether there will be any bigger twist coming.. I really doubt it. Mikuni's saying something about using money to protect and help others (as the villain of the series - he's probably one anyway! - he's probably doing it the wrong way, without moral for example?) Now, Kimimaro is like us in a way. The anime's asking us what we would do if we suddenly have lots of money.

what would you do?

I'd probably save it up, so Mikuni is right in that aspect. Saving money is more selfish than using it for the sake of others, though who can deny the truth that money is necessary for survival? I look forward to seeing how Kimimaro would stand on that fine line.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 01:08   Link #431
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

YGO! C Episode 3
Kimimaro: What would you do if you got a sum of money
Hanabi: I'd save it
*later*
Mikuni: Saving money for yourself alone is selfish

Hmmm ...

On one hand, I get what Mikuni is saying, after all when you have this much wealth, it would be considered a noble act to give back to your community and help your country flourish by improving the economy and would thus create more jobs etc. Then again, appeasing stakeholders is an important responsibility of any entrepreneur. It's not a necessity, but it goes without saying that when the area your operating in is happy with you, even if they aren't directly affiliated with your business, would probably mean your going to have an easier time operating your business. So despite Mikuni presenting it as a noble act to use money, he's only showing part of the truth, as your using money to win back good will from your country (he's after all a powerful man with many ties across Japan and by extension the Financial district) so in a way, it's ultimately boils down to purchasing something.

Also, that ''home'' of his? Yeah doesn't exactly scream selfless to me not when it's an entire floor with it's own personal pool lol

On the flip side, you have Hanabi answering Kimimaro's question almost immediately without thought. Going by what Mikuni said, is she a selfish person?

I honestly don't think so. See, Mikuni might sugar coat with how it's giving back and what not, but in the end, your doing business. Business isn't just dealing with money, you also need to deal and trade with intangible qualities such as loyalties, good will etc. it's dealing with everything to make sure you survive, grow, be successful. Even as an entrepreneur, your exchanging your future to get something back, and that is a better future.

Random speculation: That women how killed her child probably belonged to the Financial district, and done so so that the child wouldn't live in poverty (I suppose that means Kimimaro's father was really did love his son after all ...)
Old 2011-04-30, 01:30   Link #432
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm not sure if they are really contradictory statements though. Saving a good chunk of money in case something happens makes sense, especially if you have people you rely on you. Can't do much for others if you are bankrupt (the normal kind, not the "you are dead" kind).

While Mikuni saying that just seeking stability and normal is a kind of selfish since you are making things easier on yourself and avoiding the chance to have more to spend elsewhere (like your family). While Mikuni talks about using his money to help the country and all that, I don't think it means that's the only way to spend your money that isn't being selfish.
Old 2011-04-30, 02:28   Link #433
Kyouka
Is Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zse6CqV9A

can anyone else understand her
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 03:57   Link #434
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

i can actually understand what she was saying without subtitles, hmm maybe being fluent in engrish helps, because from what i see it seems that native speakers can't understand her

as for episode 3, the way they paced it, by explaining some of the background of the other characters, was just right, they even made some (at this point) cryptic references to how his second deal would determine the future of the financial district and the mentioned "guild" that mikuni was a part of.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:28   Link #435
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah I think Episode 3 was really good. No ridiculous typical fights or anything. Just pure character analysis. Though it seems a typical fight is gonna happen next episode...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:47   Link #436
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Good episode. Yeah, yeah, the English part was bad, but I can easily overlook things like that if they don't last long. Can't wait for the battle next episode. I also can't wait to learn more about Mikuni and Q, honestly.
Old 2011-04-30, 04:51   Link #437
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
YGO! C Episode 3
Kimimaro: What would you do if you got a sum of money
Hanabi: I'd save it
*later*
Mikuni: Saving money for yourself alone is selfish

Hmmm ...

On one hand, I get what Mikuni is saying, after all when you have this much wealth, it would be considered a noble act to give back to your community and help your country flourish by improving the economy and would thus create more jobs etc. Then again, appeasing stakeholders is an important responsibility of any entrepreneur. It's not a necessity, but it goes without saying that when the area your operating in is happy with you, even if they aren't directly affiliated with your business, would probably mean your going to have an easier time operating your business. So despite Mikuni presenting it as a noble act to use money, he's only showing part of the truth, as your using money to win back good will from your country (he's after all a powerful man with many ties across Japan and by extension the Financial district) so in a way, it's ultimately boils down to purchasing something.

Also, that ''home'' of his? Yeah doesn't exactly scream selfless to me not when it's an entire floor with it's own personal pool lol

On the flip side, you have Hanabi answering Kimimaro's question almost immediately without thought. Going by what Mikuni said, is she a selfish person?

I honestly don't think so. See, Mikuni might sugar coat with how it's giving back and what not, but in the end, your doing business. Business isn't just dealing with money, you also need to deal and trade with intangible qualities such as loyalties, good will etc. it's dealing with everything to make sure you survive, grow, be successful. Even as an entrepreneur, your exchanging your future to get something back, and that is a better future.

Random speculation: That women how killed her child probably belonged to the Financial district, and done so so that the child wouldn't live in poverty (I suppose that means Kimimaro's father was really did love his son after all ...)
I think Mikuni's more sincere than that. I mean, we're talking about really a boatload of money. If you or I decide to save instead of spend, or to emigrate, nobody's going to care. But if we were billionaires, governments would bend and spread for us. That kind of money.

"Saving it" is an answer for those who're worried about making ends meet. But with that much money, you save it and, even if you don't do anything, just by living "normally" (by the standards of a rich country's middle class), you'll just accumulate more money. So you start buying crap you didn't dare dream about, like a giant pool at the top of a building. But even that's not enough, so you start to really use it.

For some, it means hookers and drugs. (That can put a dent into even big fortunes. Or make you die of overdose.) For Mikuni, it meant moving Japan's economy the way he wanted it. It's not entirely selfless, but I don't think he's such a sociopath that he'd drive his country's economy into a wall just for the fun of it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 05:09   Link #438
Flo
The Necessary Evil

More like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Kimimaro: Screw you teach! I deserved an 'A' for that thesis! PREPARE FOR A BRUTAL BEATDOWN

Professor: oh shit...
Fixed
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 05:30   Link #439
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If only all the worlds problems could be solved by Yu-Gi-Oh style card battles. Students would rule the world...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:24   Link #440
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm not sure if they are really contradictory statements though. Saving a good chunk of money in case something happens makes sense, especially if you have people you rely on you. Can't do much for others if you are bankrupt (the normal kind, not the "you are dead" kind).

While Mikuni saying that just seeking stability and normal is a kind of selfish since you are making things easier on yourself and avoiding the chance to have more to spend elsewhere (like your family). While Mikuni talks about using his money to help the country and all that, I don't think it means that's the only way to spend your money that isn't being selfish.
I think theyre trying to get at the old 'Fallacy of Composition' argument in a round about way tbh. increasing your savings rate on your own is one thing, but in aggregate increasing the savings rate actually decreases your real savings as well as total output yada yada yada.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, finance, noitamina