AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-04, 08:21   Link #241
flou
That's no lady

You know, that wasn't actually in the manga -_-;;;; It was a joke by the scanslators at Sleeping Forest........
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:40   Link #242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
It's an interesting series, but I'm just afraid too many people will be disappointed by hype for no reason. KyoAni is certainly on the high mark in many people's eyes at the moment, but one must still keep their expectations in check.

Regardless, 5 more days~
I think I'm looking forward to it simply because I'm just interested in seeing how KyoAni handles what is essentially a talking-heads verbal humor show. It'll certainly stretch their abilities in the opposite direction from something as movement-driven as Haruhi.
Old 2007-04-04, 19:36   Link #243
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, I just read the scanslations, and the material certainly looks promising. I haven't seen a good comedy show in quite a while, so I'll definitely be interested in this.

Haha..."No one would choose your route in an eroge." Awesome insult.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 21:17   Link #244
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Oh, man, the commercial that just showed up is amazing. If they use the same degree of inventiveness throughout the show, it'll be a winner. Has that been around before, or just now?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 21:28   Link #245
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Or it could be a sign of how much this show is hyped. Not many CMs imo will contain only 1 minute of a character snoring with only broadcasting info at the very end.

Edit: Oops, it was 14 sec.

Last edited by orion; 2007-04-05 at 05:42.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 21:38   Link #246
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

That was...really bizarre. Although I admit, it really made me smile.

Really though, if this show is hyped, it's not really by the hand of Kyoto Animation. They haven't even released a promo video yet, just some promotion art and a rather unorthodox commercial (can you imagine them doing that with Haruhi or Nayuki? Actually...I can). They really aren't even trying to hype their own show, it seems. Nearly everything is coming from the fans. Sorta reminds me of what they did with Haruhi, except this time around people are actually expecting something. Will it live up to people's expectations? I'd love to find out. I'll be watching anyway because I need a comedy fix, because I love wacky school comedies, and because their promotional art features Wii controllers.
Old 2007-04-04, 22:00   Link #247
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Ahhh, it took me awhile for me to realize that a.f.k. released a subbed CM for this.

And what hell was that?!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 22:13   Link #248
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

It's certainly... different. But yeah, it made me smile and for some odd reason I can't press the stop button because this uuuuuuuu |3 somehow has its own charm.

Anyway, looking forward to the show.
Old 2007-04-04, 22:16   Link #249
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
That was...really bizarre. Although I admit, it really made me smile.

Really though, if this show is hyped, it's not really by the hand of Kyoto Animation. They haven't even released a promo video yet, just some promotion art and a rather unorthodox commercial (can you imagine them doing that with Haruhi or Nayuki? Actually...I can). They really aren't even trying to hype their own show, it seems. Nearly everything is coming from the fans. Sorta reminds me of what they did with Haruhi, except this time around people are actually expecting something. Will it live up to people's expectations? I'd love to find out. I'll be watching anyway because I need a comedy fix, because I love wacky school comedies, and because their promotional art features Wii controllers.
Not releasing much video promo material until this CM is a sign of a hyped series imo. They didn't really need to do much advertising. It's been talked about since last year with Kyo-Ani's involvement. They add a Wii controller for coolness factor and let viral advertising do all the work. They have truly avoided the normal scrutiny. No trailers on the website. Nothing at TAF that has made its way to YouTube.

Fans of Kanon wouldn't let them get away with something like this imo. They'd want to scrutinize the animation product of a cherished franchise imo.
Old 2007-04-04, 22:30   Link #250
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

LOL^10

Great, great promo. Has any studio done something like that?

Man, I'll galdly hype this show based on that promo alone .
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 22:50   Link #251
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Not releasing much video promo material until this CM is a sign of a hyped series imo. They didn't really need to do much advertising. It's been talked about since last year with Kyo-Ani's involvement. They add a Wii controller for coolness factor and let viral advertising do all the work. They have truly avoided the normal scrutiny. No trailers on the website. Nothing at TAF that has made its way to YouTube.
Please don't get started on criticism of KyoAni's hype, or we will have Kaio-chin (:3) in his prime time.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 22:58   Link #252
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Actually, I am terrified by all the hype surrounding "Lucky Star". People seem to be expecting the Third Impact or something from it. I seriously doubt KyoAni is going to make this into one of their "high-end tier" productions.

It's like... Mercedes deciding to make Golf Carts, and while they might well be the world's best Golf Carts, it is still a Golf Cart at heart. Nothing against Golf Carts, if I may add. I am just suggesting that people may be tuning their expectations up a bit too high for "Lucky Star" to live up to (unfairly even).

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:00   Link #253
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Too late! What the hell did I just see????!!!! Oh right an anime promo. *shiver*. Nothing more or less than usual really for an anime promo, told us absolutely nothing about the show other than the name and air date and...well at least it didn't have crappy music so its better than most.

It's not that they don't care about the promo its that they don't have to because a) Nobody else has set the bar very high for anime promos and b) No matter what it'll sell because of the company doing it by fans who really need to think with there heads and not with their guts anc c) Those fans need to think like William Jefferson Clinton and not like George Walker Bush when contemplating what an anime will be based on evidence so you get the truth presented to you with a shocker (huh?). Kyoto Animation probably realize that the hype fans have created surrounding them that is beyond their control and potentially dangerous for this series needed to be stifled John "Settle Down" Stewart style. (Basically Fans: "WOOOOOOO KYOTO Animation" *Standing Ovation* "WOOOOOOOO WE LOVE YOU, IT'S GOING TO BE THE ENLIGHTENING ALL OVER AGAIN WOOOOOOO!" *Whistle* and then the commerical is Kyoto Animation going "settle down". Basically almost every episode of the Daily Show begins this way before he's even had a chance to do anything or describe the program for the night. Only replace the audience with Kyoto fans and Kyoto with John Stewart.)

As long as its funny I'm good. I don't think Kyoto Animation needs to prove anything with each new series because I haven't expected much from them since I first learned of them, they do high quality adaptations in my eyes and thats about. I will give them props for being humble about things and not trying to push the series as something it clearly isn't like a lot of deceitful companies.

Anyway leave it to Aya Hirano to do something really goofy and bizarre with a character. Seriously the girl should stick with what she's good at. I think I'm going to like this series as long as the KyoAni fanboys can keep themselves restrained and not start some sort of Jehovah's Witness style religion where they go to every website posting nonsense and screwing with episode ratings and summaries. The more everybody keeps things real the more I find I like talking about series with people and in turn watching them. I mean its cool to be psyched and like something a lot and even too be silly when joking about a show, but when people stop using logic in posts and opinions and they believe something too be true that isn't based on gut feeling or bias, than it becomes hard to take anything relating to a show seriously or too have fun with it.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-04 at 23:30.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:00   Link #254
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Actually, I am terrified by all the hype surrounding "Lucky Star". People seem to be expecting the Third Impact or something from it. I seriously doubt KyoAni is going to make this into one of their "high-end tier" productions.
Well, those unlearned otaku should know by now that this is KyoAni's way of taking a break from Kanon.

Old 2007-04-04, 23:08   Link #255
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Then again, their treatment of Lucky☆Star feels very similar to how they treated Haruhi Suzumiya last spring. Back then there was absolutely no fan hype for Haruhi before it came out anyway, yet they never even bothered with a promo. Personally, it seems to me that Kyoto Animation would do this regardless of fan hype or fan devotion to their studio, as circumstances were different back with Haruhi. I wouldn't say this is a new tactic for Kyoto Animation to not worry about industry hype, as they've done this before. While nearly every other series out there has a full minute and a half trailer, Lucky☆Star gets just a few seconds of "uuuuuuuu". Unique.

Kanon (and Clannad) are totally different though, seeing as these shows are meant to appeal to a very specific group of fans, whose expectations would be very different, so it's necessary to give them something earlier. As stated by Orion, there are many devoted fans already to this franchise that wish to scrutinize their work.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:11   Link #256
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I'd die right on the spot if we get another "Episode 0". From laughter, of course.

Old 2007-04-04, 23:18   Link #257
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I just expect it to be gut-wrenching fun. Not sure if that's an unreasonable expectation.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:19   Link #258
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
Hahaha, hilarious CM. Go Aaya! If that's the way she'll sound throughout the series, I'm gonna love this even more.
QBnoYouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:22   Link #259
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBnoYouko View Post
Hahaha, hilarious CM. Go Aaya! If that's the way she'll sound throughout the series, I'm gonna love this even more.
For once I totally agree with the Aya Hirano support. She's improving. I knew she would when given time to work on her strong points like hyper and whimsical characters.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:38   Link #260
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

That was an interesting promo for sure.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen